Registered User The Brotherhood's Avatar
    The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

BB Bench Press - Powerlifter vs Classic Form

The classic form of staying flat on the bench, legs on the ground, bar to the chest around the nipples, dont flare the elbows, never really worked the chest for me. I only ever felt it in my delts and tris. I gave up on it long ago. Been using DBs ever since.
    Yeserday, I decided to give it a shot again. Threw on 110 lbs to play with, and got 6-8 reps out. Didnt feel anything, again.
    Theres this douche at my gym who lifts using powerlifting form - arched back, pushes chest up, toes on the ground, use the feet for drive. He keeps trying to give me advice, and all kinds of crappy advice at that, so i just nod it off.
    I decided to try the powerlifting stance, and WOW - the reps went up, weight went up, and I DEFINITELY felt it in my pecs more than I have with db bench or dips.

Is this possibly just because of changing up the excercises, or is this form often used to target the pecs?
    Miscer

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Powerlifting is not concerned with targeting specific muscles. Its all about lifting the maximum amount of weight possible.
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by The Brotherhood View Post
    The classic form of staying flat on the bench, legs on the ground, bar to the chest around the nipples, dont flare the elbows, never really worked the chest for me. I only ever felt it in my delts and tris. I gave up on it long ago. Been using DBs ever since.

I decided to try the powerlifting stance, and WOW - the reps went up, weight went up, and I DEFINITELY felt it in my pecs more than I have with db bench or dips.

Is this possibly just because of changing up the excercises, or is this form often used to target the pecs?
    Elbows out = maximal pec involvement
    Elbows in = minimal pec involvement

A slight arch also helps stretch the pecs at the bottom of the movement and increase the range of motion. It's got nothing to do with powerlifting.