Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Fish Oil Fat Loss

Been a while since ive posted... anyway, came across this on a site regaurding fish oil and fat loss...

Increase Your Fish Oil Supplementation! If you aren't already taken a quality fish oil supplementation, I strongly recommend you start using one. PROVIDED you are going to combined it with training and training of an intensive nature. Don't expect to swallow some fish oil capsules and hey presto your abdominal fat will start to vanish. I'm afraid not.

You need to combine fish oil supplementation with training in order to get more fat loss than training alone. This is about as close as you can get to non-surgical spot reduction.

Use of fish oil supplementation will help with increased insulin resistance. A sign of insulin resistance and development of type 2 diabetes is central adiposity (belly fat) and the fact that this fat goes first only proves that omega-3s can increase insulin sensitivity, which leads to less fat storage and more fat release.

Just recently I had 10.42% body fat and my abdominal skinfold measured at 16mm during a body fat assessment using the calipers. Along with proper training and nutrition I increased my fish oil supplementation over the next 2 weeks and managed to get my body fat down to 9.22% and my abdominal skinfold dropped to 12mm. I started to increase my fish oil supplementation dosage and a further two weeks later and I came in at 8.31% body fat and had an abdominal skinfold reading of 10mm.

Finally I increased my daily intake to 10 fish oil capsules per day and two weeks later I had dropped down to 7.29% body fat and my abdominal skinfold registered at 8.3mm.

So over the course of 6 weeks I was able to drop 3.13% body fat and cut my abdominal skinfold by almost , from 16mm to 8.3mm. Ohh I should also mention that my training during this time was not geared towards fat loss. My scale weight went from 166lbs on day one to 168lbs on day 42, which shows I gained approximately 6.5lbs of muscle during this period.

Another FACT that might shock you is that I wasn't restricting calories. In fact, as my body fat continued to drop, we increased my calories (again I was focused on muscle gain) every 2 weeks and I ended up on approximately 3000kcals per day, and over 1000 of those kcals came from fat, healthy fats of course.

OKAY I think that's enough on fish oil supplementation.
    Do you call bull**** on this or is there a chance of this being legimate? I mean he steadily increased his calories and continued to drop BF percentage?
    Last edited by burke; 01-15-2011 at 05:34 PM.

TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TJB85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by burke View Post
    Been a while since ive posted... anyway, came across this on a site regaurding fish oil and fat loss...

"Increase Your Fish Oil Supplementation! If you aren't already taken a quality fish oil supplementation, I strongly recommend you start using one. PROVIDED you are going to combined it with training and training of an intensive nature. Don't expect to swallow some fish oil capsules and hey presto your abdominal fat will start to vanish. I'm afraid not.

You need to combine fish oil supplementation with training in order to get more fat loss than training alone. This is about as close as you can get to non-surgical spot reduction.

Use of fish oil supplementation will help with increased insulin resistance. A sign of insulin resistance and development of type 2 diabetes is central adiposity (belly fat) and the fact that this fat goes first only proves that omega-3s can increase insulin sensitivity, which leads to less fat storage and more fat release.

Just recently I had 10.42% body fat and my abdominal skinfold measured at 16mm during a body fat assessment using the calipers. Along with proper training and nutrition I increased my fish oil supplementation over the next 2 weeks and managed to get my body fat down to 9.22% and my abdominal skinfold dropped to 12mm. I started to increase my fish oil supplementation dosage and a further two weeks later and I came in at 8.31% body fat and had an abdominal skinfold reading of 10mm.

Finally I increased my daily intake to 10 fish oil capsules per day and two weeks later I had dropped down to 7.29% body fat and my abdominal skinfold registered at 8.3mm.

So over the course of 6 weeks I was able to drop 3.13% body fat and cut my abdominal skinfold by almost , from 16mm to 8.3mm. Ohh I should also mention that my training during this time was not geared towards fat loss. My scale weight went from 166lbs on day one to 168lbs on day 42, which shows I gained approximately 6.5lbs of muscle during this period.

Another FACT that might shock you is that I wasn't restricting calories. In fact, as my body fat continued to drop, we increased my calories (again I was focused on muscle gain) every 2 weeks and I ended up on approximately 3000kcals per day, and over 1000 of those kcals came from fat, healthy fats of course.

OKAY I think that's enough on fish oil supplementation."

Do you call bull**** on this or is there a chance of this being legimate? I mean he steadily increased his calories and continued to drop BF percentage?

Its proven to help with this kind of stuff but im calling bull**** on dropping 3.5% bf and not cutting cals and all that...
    Owner of some cool companies.

- Haters Make Us Famous -
    ***DSC***

Must Unify Korea 나는 한국 통합 KimJong-il's Avatar
    KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fish oil and Omega 3s is good support for fat loss.....but the primary reason of fat loss is proper diet and training.

If you give someone without proper diet and training fish oil wont do anything for fat loss.
    Supreme Leader of Thermolife

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50) burke will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KimJong-il View Post
    Fish oil and Omega 3s is good support for fat loss.....but the primary reason of fat loss is proper diet and training.

If you give someone without proper diet and training fish oil wont do anything for fat loss.
    Well that's a given but I always seem to have trouble with abdominal fat (even during strict keto) so this seems promising... however... it also seems like bull. Wondering if anyone had anything even NEAR these kind of results..?

lollercoasters brah most_dedicated's Avatar
    most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10) most_dedicated is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well that's a given but I always seem to have trouble with abdominal fat (even during strict keto) so this seems promising... however... it also seems like bull. Wondering if anyone had anything even NEAR these kind of results..?
    bulk fish oil is extremely cheap..

buy a huge bottle for like 15 bucks and try it out

even if it doesnt aid in fat loss, youre still getting other healthy benefits
    NO!!!! SUPPLEMENTS DO NOT INCLUDE BABIES!!!!

reps for life:
    requiem15
    bigshayet

KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I didnt say fish oil will give noticeable short term results....I just think its supportive for cutting, and in general everybody should consume it.

Hope that clears that up.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexpetrou will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can see that its useful but doubt that it helps that much.

Well it seems most of these studies on "fish oil and fat loss" are really focused on high DHA fishoils...

Can anyone reccomend good quality high DHA fish oils? Any reccomendations are appreciated...

I know that flameout is very high in DHA but I am not really a big fan of tmuscle supplements or their prices for that matter...

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    they can support fat loss as already mentioned but fat loss comes down to one thing

calories in vs calories out
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

Originally Posted by xStevenx View Post
    they can support fat loss as already mentioned but fat loss comes down to one thing

calories in vs calories out
    Agreed. This is why i find this article to be eyebrow raising...

Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vise09 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You need to get about 3000mg + of EPA and DHA to reap all the fat losss properties of fish oil

snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KimJong-il View Post
    indeed.

while this is an example of the upper end of results of this fashion, i don't see why it's not plausible..

the KEY point being, the author's statement here: Along with proper training and nutrition I increased my fish oil supplementation..

calories in vs. calories out is the most basic truism of weight loss.

what a lot of ppl do not realize, however, is that macronutrient structure can play a HUGE part in the equation as well. you pull the majority of carbs out of the diet, and replace with healthy fats and hi protein intake, you can indeed create a shift in metabolism/composition/fat oxidization.

tho there are those that would argue such a premise, it is only because they have never truly tried this structure in the proper fashion themselves.

i attest to the success of such premise.

Well it seems most of these studies on "fish oil and fat loss" are really focused on high DHA fishoils...

Can anyone reccomend good quality high DHA fish oils? Any reccomendations are appreciated...

I know that flameout is very high in DHA but I am not really a big fan of tmuscle supplements or their prices for that matter...
    I just use cheap 1,000 cap tubs and dose a little higher. There is no difference between taking 1gram of dha a day from 2 cap or 6 caps for example. If 6 caps is cheaper than some of the higher quality brands at a lower cap dosages, it makes no difference DHA is DHA.

There was a list of brands that tested a certain level of PCB's in their fish oil, that list can be found online just be sure to avoid that.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by snagency View Post
    indeed.

while this is an example of the upper end of results of this fashion, i don't see why it's not plausible..

the KEY point being, the author's statement here: Along with proper training and nutrition I increased my fish oil supplementation..

what a lot of ppl do not realize, however, is that macronutrient structure can play a HUGE part in the equation as well. you pull the majority of carbs out of the diet, and replace with healthy fats and hi protein intake, you can indeed create a shift in metabolism/composition/fat oxidization.

tho there are those that would argue such a premise, it is only because they have never truly tried this structure in the proper fashion themselves.

What macro structure do you recommend?
    Canadian Supplement Market Guru

illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000) illilian is just really nice. (+1000)
    when dosing fish oil high like that, I'd especially make sure the fish oil being using is tested for heavy metals and PCB's.

audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by illilian View Post
    when dosing fish oil high like that, I'd especially make sure the fish oil being using is tested for heavy metals and PCB's.
    Too much fish oil can thin blood as well.
    Canadian Supplement Market Guru

snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000) snagency is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by audipotential View Post
    What macro structure do you recommend?
    depends on what specifically you are trying to accomplish.

there is no 'one size fits all' plan.

generally speaking one could do, say, a 10-15% C/50-55% P/35-40% F split daily, and every 3 or 4 days change the splits up to ingest more carbs for thyroid boost.

one of the popular ideas somewhat along this line is Mauro Di Pasquale's Metabolic Diet. altho i personally do not use this format (in fact have never tried it), there are many who claim success with it, and i see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Originally Posted by audipotential View Post
    Too much fish oil can thin blood as well.
    highly, highly overstated as a risk.

there are some nutritional gurus out there who have had their athletes on upwards of 30g fish oil daily, and report tremendous results (see Charles Poliquin).

ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There was a small study recently done about fish oil helping with body fat loss.

Fish oil supplementation found to benefit body composition

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/10/20/f...y-composition/

akaudi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

проститутки п

aziyax com/putana php]проститутки питера
    [img]aziyax com/images/p1 gif[/img] [img]aziyax com/images/p2 gif[/img] [img]aziyax com/images/p3 gif[/img]

праститутки москвы
    шлюхи москвы
    праститутки
    девочки
    проституки
    досуг ру
    проституты

jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jtyler30 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

This is what I use. High quality and purified.
    http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/fi...=851&CPID=3552

No Bull**** Bodybuilding greekmanman's Avatar
    greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    indeed.

Wow finally someone who I can agree with; I contend the same idea with regards to macronutrient composition of a diet.

I personally feel that a ketogenic diet is the best in terms of fatloss and overall health and that it does have an advantage over other diets.

However it is frustrating just being labeled as a "ketotard" and being dismissed.
    Admin @ No Bull**** Bodybuilding: ********.com/nobull****bodybuildingverified

Admin @ No Stress Nutrition

Admin @ Hollywood's Rabid Cage: ********.com/groups/309091175828038/

Live, laugh, love and above all, please stay safe~

FBTK gives you facials.

http://instagram.com/edmaestheticss

Originally Posted by greekmanman View Post
    I personally feel that a ketogenic diet is the best in terms of fatloss and overall health and that it does have an advantage over other diets.

However it is frustrating just being labeled as a "ketotard" and being dismissed.
    Low carb dieting changed my life.....cannot say how wonderful it works when you do it right over the long run.

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Originally Posted by jtyler30 View Post
    This is what I use. High quality and purified.
    http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/fi...=851&CPID=3552
    Thanks man... any other suggestions... now super EPA looks good as well, even though the focus is on EPA, I like to see the exact breakdown of EPA and DHA.

Originally Posted by greekmanman View Post
    Wow finally someone who I can agree with; I contend the same idea with regards to macronutrient composition of a diet.

I agree. I love the keto/lowcarb diet, however I have never liked the idea of not being able to go ballsout intensity wise. When im dieting down, I want to feel like an athlete, I want to sprint, push prowlers, do complexes, etc etc. This is the one reason why I don't like the whole camp on a treadmill for hours Dave Palumbo style dieting. Another issue I have with it is filling out, no matter how big or crazy I went with the carbouts, 1-2 days later I was flat as **** again, and it's just a ****ty feeling to be honest. I also think that for the average joe following a balanced diet is much easier and can produce the same results. Take layne norton for example as someone who is natural and diets with a ton of carbs.

That being said I have tried both the 0 carb and the moderate carb and my results have been about the same. Both work... obviously.

Just a bump.

Can anyone reccomend a highly dosed DHA fish oil besides flameout? I can't really seem to find anything that comes close.

Just a bump.

Can anyone reccomend a highly dosed DHA fish oil besides flameout? I can't really seem to find anything that comes close.
    GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil.

and remember - Flameout is showing you serving info per 4 caps.

this does still appear to be a high DHA portion in comparison to other products, however.

curious as to why you want more DHA proportion tho..
    your earlier statement about DHA being the focal point for weight-loss is an incorrect interpretation.

EPA versus DHA

Although we need both EPA and DHA equally, as Ralph Holman, an expert on fatty acids once said “DHA is structure and EPA is function”. We need DHA for the proper development of the brain during pregnancy and through the first few years of life, but the rest of the time we need EPA for the brain to function efficiently. Some research has also indicated that the presence of DHA might actually interfere with the beneficial properties of EPA making it somewhat less effective than fish oil with a very high EPA content.

How EPA works

No one yet knows exactly how EPA works, but it is believed to reduce inflammation, thin the blood, increase serotonin levels, and improve blood flow to the brain leading to greater inter-connectivity in the neural networks. EPA and other fatty acids we consume compete with each other to be converted into eicosanoids. These hormone-like compounds will either be pro-inflammatory or anti-inflammatory depending on the type of fatty acid that dominated at the time, for example, Omega 3 or Omega 6.

As EPA is constantly being used up as it were, we need to replenish our supplies in order to inhibit overproduction of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids, which is known to put us at greater risk of depression and other health problems. Conclusion

Fish oil may not be a panacea for mental health problems, but there is little doubt that supplementing with fish oil high in EPA has the ability to improve mental functioning and to make a profound difference to the symptoms associated with mood related conditions like depression.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=79ANNITC
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

interesting article by Tom Venuto..

The Truth About Fish Oil And Fat Loss

What The Latest Research Says About
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids And Weight Loss
    By Tom Venuto

Unless youve been living under a rock somewhere for the last several years, youve probably heard about the health benefits of eating fatty fish or taking fish oil supplements.

Well, it looks like you might be able to add fat loss alongside the other benefits like heart, blood (cholesterol/triglycerides), brain, skin and joint health (and the rest of the list, which is too long to print here).

The biologically active ingredients that seem to make fatty fish so beneficial are are the long chain omega-3 (n-3) fatty acids, EPA and DHA. At least a half a dozen human studies and more than two dozen animal studies have been completed in the last 10 years which suggest that these omega-3 fatty acids found in fish may help you lose more fat. However, the fat loss benefit is not as much as some people want you to believe

Fish Oil And Fat Loss: What The Research Says?

The results of two new studies on fish oil and fat loss were just released earlier this year. In one study published by the International Journal of Obesity, researchers from Reykjavik Iceland tested the effects of fish or fish oil consumption equivalent to 1.5 grams of combined EPA/DHA on body weight and body composition as part of a calorie restricted diet. (1)

The subjects were 324 young overweight men and women who followed one of four experimental protocols for 8 weeks:

(1) sunflower oil capsules (control)
    (2) lean fish
    (3) fatty fish (salmon)
    (4) fish oil capsules

The researchers reported the following results:

In young, overweight men, the inclusion of either lean or fatty fish, or fish oil as part of a hypoenergetic diet resulted in 1 kilogram more weight loss after 4 weeks than a similar diet without seafood or supplement of marine origin. The addition of seafood to a nutritionally balanced energy-restricted diet may boost weight loss.

It should be noted that the study was supported by the Seafood Plus organization and there were some limitations in the design that could have influenced the subjects compliance.

The second study, conducted at the University of South Australia and published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2) investigated the effect of combining fish oil supplements with regular aerobic exercise.

In a placebo-controlled study, the subjects were divided into four groups:

(1) sunflower oil
    (2) sunflower oil plus exercise
    (3) fish oil
    (4) fish oil plus exercise.

The fish oil groups were given 6 grams of high DHA fish oil per day, which contained a total of 1.9 grams of long chain omega-3 fatty acids. The exercising groups performed aerobic exercise three days per week for 45 minutes.

As you might expect, the fish oil plus exercise group came out with the best results:

minus 1.2% body fat (compared to no decrease in the other groups)
    minus 2 kilograms/4.4 lbs (compared to no decrease in the non exercise group).
    Unfortunately, there was a limitation in this study as well: The food intake of the subjects was self reported, which is known to be notoriously inaccurate.

Fish Oil May Help You Lose Fat... But Not THAT Much Fat!

There have been several other human studies on fish oil and fat loss in the last ten years or so and the majority of the findings have been positive. The research is compelling and there have been numerous, and very plausible mechanisms of action proposed.

However, more and more often, I am hearing people in the health, fitness and nutrition industries making some pretty bold and I daresay, premature and outrageous claims about what fish oil can do for fat loss; claims which are not supported by the research.

The studies on fish oil and fat loss are encouraging, but the vast majority of research has been on animals (rats, mice and hamsters) and there have been limitations in nearly all the human studies so far, including:

Small sample sizes, short study durations, statistically insignificant results, lack of randomization, no control groups, imprecise body composition testing, measurement errors, self-reporting of food intake, low compliance control and fish industry or supplement industry-sponsored bias.

Even if you take the results of the existing research at face value, the fat loss really isnt all that impressive - an extra pound here, an extra kilo there.

Many of the research results barely reach statistical significance, and you even have to wonder if these small improvements in fat loss are simply correcting omega-3 deficiency or fixing omega-3 and omega-6 imbalance therefore, will they continue over a longer time period or is this a one time improvement?

One of the earlier studies showed the same kind of measurable but modest results: The fish oil group that took 1.8 grams of combined EPA/DHA daily lost 2 pounds and the non fish oil group lost only 0.7 pounds after 3 weeks (3).

Of course, youll probably take all the fat loss help that you can get, and since there are already enough good reasons to eat fatty fish for cardiovascular disease prevention and other health benefits, its really a no brainer to eat fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel or sardines at least twice a week. (By the way, with the exception of King Mackerel, these are species which have not been reported as having problems with mercury contamination).

Alternately, you can use a fish oil supplement to get the equivalent in omega-3 fatty acids as found in the fish. Non fish eaters or vegetarians can use flaxseed oil, a plant-based source of Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) which converts in the body to EPA and DHA (the efficiency and amount of conversion has been a subject of controversy, however).

How Much Fish Oil Should You Take?

Based on the three studies cited above, it looks like 1.5 to 2.0 grams per day of combined DHA/EPA is the right dose when fat loss is the goal (although some suggest you should consider body weight when choosing the dosage, i.e., 1 gram total fish oil for each 20 lbs body weight, so a big guy might go with as much as 3.0 grams)

Most fish oil capsules come in 1,000 mg size at a 30% concentration, so if you took five 1000mg capsules a day (5 grams of total fish oil), that would give you 1.5 grams of EPA/DHA; about the same as youd get in 3 ounces (85 g) of salmon.

Note: other studies on fish oil and fat loss tested 3.0 to 4.0 g/day of EPA/DHA, but the American Heart Association has warned against taking more than 3 g EPA/DHA per day without a physicians supervision, as there may be some contraindications or side effects possible. Based on the research, more fish oil will NOT burn more fat, so be wary of the mega dose gurus.

How Much Should You Spend?

Here's another helpful tip: Don't fall for the premium price necessarily means better quality party line. Quality and purity are important, but you can get molecularly-distilled, mercury, PCB, Dioxin, Organochlorine-free, 3rd party tested-to-meet-label-claims fish oil for less than ten dollars per bottle of 400 (one gram) capsules

yet, I have seen fish oil gurus selling the exact same thing for $50 to $60 claiming that everyone elses products were "contaminated" and/or "inferior" in quality. If thats true, then I'd like to see those products submitted voluntarily to an independent 3rd party testing lab for analysis and head to head comparison to less expensive brands on purity AND cost effectiveness.

Conclusion & Recommendations

The bottom line is it looks like fish oil may be a legitimate help to your fat loss efforts, especially when combined with exercise, as there may be an important synergy there. However, the idea that fish oil is some kind of miracle fat burner is just not true.

We need much more research before we can say for certain exactly how much body composition improvement you can really expect from eating fatty fish or taking fish oil supplements. That said, between the health benefits and the potential for even a small boost to your fat loss efforts, fish oil is hard not to like.

References:
    (1) Hill AM. Combining fish-oil supplements with regular aerobic exercise improves body composition and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Am J Clin Nutr. 86(5): 1267-1274. 2007
    (2) Thorsdottir I et al. Randomized trial of weight loss diets for young adults varying in fish and fish oil content. Int J Obesity. May 2007. pp 1-7
    (3) Couet C. Effect of dietary fish oil on body fat mass and basal fat oxidation in healthy adults. Int J Obes. 21: 637-643. 1997

curious as to why you want more DHA proportion tho..
    your earlier statement about DHA being the focal point for weight-loss is an incorrect interpretation.
    The most popular fish oil and weight loss study as of late was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. (5) Unlike the previous two studies we've looked at, this study used a fish oil supplement that contained high levels of DHA (much like Flameout).

In this all-male study, the participants were given either sunflower oil or DHA-rich fish oil. Some were instructed to exercise while others were not. The exercise component was walking at 75% of their maximum heart rate for 45 minutes, three times a week.

Regardless of the less-than-optimal program design, the fish oil and exercise people experienced decreases in body mass greater than any of the other groups combined. The authors noted, "Both FO supplementation and regular aerobic exercise reduced fat mass."
    That is according to tmuscle I am aware.

NOW Super EPA seems to be next highest next to flameout, also a lot cheaper per serving then the GNC.