Thread: back..

Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

back..

This has been my back workout for the last couple months.

Deadlifts
    Wide Grip Chins
    Barbell Rows.

Tongiht I started doing this

Deadlifts
    Wide Grip Pulldowns
    Dumbbell Rows

My question is:

Are pulldows and dumb rows good alternatives for wide chins and barbell rows??
    6'-2" Ectomorph @ 194 Pounds

"Size does NOT mean knowledge in this sport".

AIM: Jeremy102579

lt696 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: back..

Originally posted by Jeremy

Are pulldows and dumb rows good alternatives for wide chins and barbell rows??
    I think subbing BB rows for DB rows is a good idea considering you do deadlifts first, cause they sap your lower back strength which is an important stabilising factor when doing barbell rows. Youll probably be able to hit your upper back and lats harder overall with Db rows after doing deadlifts.

labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000)
    It696 made an excellent point. I would not switch away from chins. Lat pulldowns do not work the back as well as chins. I do not know how many sets you are doing per workout, but I like the exercises you have chosen.

MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You and I do similar lifts with similar poundages at similar height/weight ... I say you're doing pretty good, and would only change if you're going stale or getting bored.

Instead of dropping chins, try a different hand-spacing or grip. Use a parallel grip (palms facing eachother) supinated grip (underhand) or pronated grip, but put your hands at shoulder length.

I can somewhat agree that DB Rows could be done to conserve lower back, but lower back is an extremelly vital area that must be trained. so, if you've been going good with doing deadlifts and bb rows without low back injuries, then keep doing them. Maybe do db rows without putting your hand and knee on a bench for variety. In other words, do them standing, but with dumbbells.

Too many people do all their presses laying down, or seated. They do all their back work supported either by their hands or chest on a pad. They do leg press instead of squat, don't to stiff-leg deadlifts or bent-leg deadlifts, and so their lower back is weak as a playing card.

Then, when they try squats,since their low back is extremelly weak they fold up like a chair.

Keep your lower back strong and you won't be one of those guys in their 40s that keeps having back surgery after back surgery, etc.

Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jeremy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have been doing chins for Months, or even over a year now. And I have not done pulldowns in over a year too, so I am just gonna try them for 4-6 weeks.
    Plus I have not gotten stronger on pullups in awhile either.
    6'-2" Ectomorph @ 194 Pounds

"Size does NOT mean knowledge in this sport".

AIM: Jeremy102579

MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Always let your training log be your "lifting expert". If you haven't gained on them for a while and have been doing them for quite some time, then, by all means, throw some variety in there for a few weeks and try again.

If you're not totaaly tired of chins, you could try some different grip variations.

Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by MrB
    You and I do similar lifts with similar poundages at similar height/weight ... I say you're doing pretty good, and would only change if you're going stale or getting bored.

Instead of dropping chins, try a different hand-spacing or grip. Use a parallel grip (palms facing eachother) supinated grip (underhand) or pronated grip, but put your hands at shoulder length.

I can somewhat agree that DB Rows could be done to conserve lower back, but lower back is an extremelly vital area that must be trained. so, if you've been going good with doing deadlifts and bb rows without low back injuries, then keep doing them. Maybe do db rows without putting your hand and knee on a bench for variety. In other words, do them standing, but with dumbbells.

Too many people do all their presses laying down, or seated. They do all their back work supported either by their hands or chest on a pad. They do leg press instead of squat, don't to stiff-leg deadlifts or bent-leg deadlifts, and so their lower back is weak as a playing card.

Then, when they try squats,since their low back is extremelly weak they fold up like a chair.

Keep your lower back strong and you won't be one of those guys in their 40s that keeps having back surgery after back surgery, etc.
    bump on that big time, try doing your db rows by just using the db rack as your support, the feeling is awesome.
    "I thought I was looking at my mother's old douche bag except that's in Ohio." - Dudley Dawson aka Booger

"Idle Hands spend time at the genitals, and we all know God hates that" - Drippy

fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If your squat poundage is true, you need to work on leg stength before you worry about most of this other stuff.

I don't think pulldowns are a viable alternative for pullups, unless you are too weak to do proper pullups. Also, do them with a shoulder width grip, the wide grip just takes away from ROM making them less effective. Pullups should also be done from a dead hang with no momentum.

Anybody who can bench almost as much as they squat.....

Jesus...