powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerbui1der has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Post-workout Drinks - an update

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=659666

Interesting article regaurding post workout nutrition. It will certainly cause me to consider alternitive methods for my post workout meals.
    If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything

Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Leafs/Pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bump, definitley interesting.

unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    all the nutritional" know it alls" on this board should take a glance at this....it is definitely a good read
    WHO DAT

Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cynical_Simian is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Somebody posted a link to this article in a PWO thread earlier today...this was my take on it...

Originally Posted by Cynical_Simian
    The article basically refutes a bunch of straw man arguments.

1. Just argues against the notion that glycogen restoration should be the primary goal of PWO. No problem.
    2-3. Most people here already know that pre-WO is just as important as, if not more so than, PWO.
    4. Just notes that protein synthesis is raised (ostensibly from a "normal" baseline); that doesn't mean that the need/rate isn't even more significant in the time closer to the workout (i.e. the "window").
    5. The instantaneous rate is irrelevant; if you fasted for a day, worked out, then waited an hour, it would probably be even higher. It's basically arguing that you should sit around in catabolism just so you can brag about how fast your protein synthesis is.
    6. Again, too much of a focus on instantaneous rates. By this logic, the only protein source we should consume is BCAAs (see #8) since they have the highest immediate rate of synthesis.
    7. Same as #4.
    8. Nobody would argue that whey concentrate is the fastest possible option, but it's fast enough, especially if you get your pre-WO nutrition right. The sudden emphasis on speed would seem to contradict some of their previous points as well.
    9-10. Are these "myths" even a widespread/important part of people's PWO strategies?

Anyway, that's just my "off-the-top-of-my-head" commentary. I'm sure Alan or ghost will be along soon to provide some real expert nutritional/physiological perspectives.

David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The only thing that would change my PWO shake is the research that says that immediately after training is sub optimal. He doesn't say how long we should wait though.

I also take a multi vitamin with my PWO shake and his research seems to say that this would be harmful. Maybe I'll just take a multi in the morning and that's all. It would save me some money.

Good article, worth reading.

Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by David77
    The only thing that would change my PWO shake is the research that says that immediately after training is sub optimal. He doesn't say how long we should wait though.

I also take a multi vitamin with my PWO shake and his research seems to say that this would be harmful. Maybe I'll just take a multi in the morning and that's all. It would save me some money.

Good article, worth reading.
    I haven't actually read the research, but I wonder if they actually drank a PWO shake or injected aminos+sugar into the blood. Remember that the whey+dex or oats are going to take 30-60 mins to raise blood sugar and amino acid levels anyway.

The main thing I would take from this are the multiple feedings, which I have advocated myself and practice. In other words several small shakes/meals spaced 60-90 mins apart may be better than one huge shake, whether it be dex or oats.

As I wrote in another thread, you might still want to do some self experimentation, since a lo will depend on your pre-WO nutrition and your overall nutrition and marcos. In fact, the evidence as it stands seems to indicate that you can gat a large variety of results in these experiments, which suggest that perhaps individual differences and 24 hour nutrition/timing are a significant factor.
    Last edited by Jules Verne; 06-16-2005 at 05:09 AM.