D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Figured out why my chest sucks...

So despite knowing all the right techniques, mindsets and approaches to doing bench/chest workouts properly, I've found that I'm still failing at it miserably. Proportionally, I'd say I have pretty strong arms compared to my overall strength. Two days ago, I noticed that the instant my chest begins to get fatigued in a movement, all my other muscles are jumping in to save the day, namely my triceps. I'm beginning to think this can explain my lack of endurance in chest exercises, my low bench max and the minimal development I've been seeing lately. The day after a chest workout, the muscles that hurt the most are my front deltoids.

I feel like I have a pretty good mind-muscle connection with my chest when using low weights. However, that connection drops off rapidly when the weights increase. I've read that people with this problem should do more flyes to develop the connection, but those are even worse for me! I end up using my shoulder/bicep to do that movement and have never really understood it.

I thought I was fine and knew all the do's and dont's for this stuff, but I've been humbled. If anyone has some pointers it would be very helpful.

jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by D4rkhorse View Post
    So despite knowing all the right techniques, mindsets and approaches to doing bench/chest workouts properly, I've found that I'm still failing at it miserably. Proportionally, I'd say I have pretty strong arms compared to my overall strength. Two days ago, I noticed that the instant my chest begins to get fatigued in a movement, all my other muscles are jumping in to save the day, namely my triceps. I'm beginning to think this can explain my lack of endurance in chest exercises, my low bench max and the minimal development I've been seeing lately. The day after a chest workout, the muscles that hurt the most are my front deltoids.

I feel like I have a pretty good mind-muscle connection with my chest when using low weights. However, that connection drops off rapidly when the weights increase. I've read that people with this problem should do more flyes to develop the connection, but those are even worse for me! I end up using my shoulder/bicep to do that movement and have never really understood it.

I thought I was fine and knew all the do's and dont's for this stuff, but I've been humbled. If anyone has some pointers it would be very helpful.
    I don't expect a lot of people to agree with this, but imo you need to emphasize progression on compound lifts more and worry less about isolation. Don't try to bench with your chest, try to bench the most weight possible (with appropriate form obviously)--when your triceps and front delts are already doing everything they can on the lift, they can't 'come to the rescue' of your chest--it's every muscle for itself. It's like isolating everything at once... lol
    Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one.

Lift the damn weight, and eat the damn food. It's as hard and as complicated as you make it.

Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sylis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jack_of_all View Post
    I don't expect a lot of people to agree with this, but imo you need to emphasize progression on compound lifts more and worry less about isolation. Don't try to bench with your chest, try to bench the most weight possible (with appropriate form obviously)--when your triceps and front delts are already doing everything they can on the lift, they can't 'come to the rescue' of your chest--it's every muscle for itself. It's like isolating everything at once... lol
    ^^^ this
    Wanting to do a Keto diet, but loves carbs too much.....

buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    agreed. i never saw much progress untill i started using proper form on benching (powerlifter form) and just using strength progression for it, lots of triple, double, single lifts. then anything after that is higher reps 10-15. also keeping in mind that you should do a pull for every press. lots of dips and pushups. i almost never do fly's. maybe once every few months.
    Current: (GOALS)

Deadlift: 500x1 (540x1)
    Squat: 450x1 (475x1)
    Bench: 320x1 (350x1)
    Military Press: 230x1 (300x1)
    Barbell Row: 290x1 (350x1)

"Well, nothing makes a gallon of milk go down easier than a box of pop tarts"

southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10) southernstang is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ok you already said that you can keep muscle control while doing light weight, alot of people put to much weight on to fast. You are going to do four sets 10,8,6,6. You need to put a weight that you can control for your first set. Good control too, where you feel it all in your chest , now start adding weight for wach set but a 5 and 10 pounds instead of jumping right to the 25, etc. When you start adding alot of weight you tend to get a way from form and get more in safe mode and that when you other muscle kick in and try to save you. And when you are doing your chest you need to make sure at the top your are not locking out and you are making your chest has hard as it will go, each rep trying to make it harder. Too many people just let the weight contract there muscle and do not add that little extra. This will make your chest grow and become more fuller! IMO..
    Fly's can help you get the shape and the split in the middle, again when doing fly's you need to stay in control and at top of the movement you need to hold the compression of the muslce for a 3sec count. Make sure you are doing full ROM and feel you're chest, 2sec in , 3sec hold , 2sec out , etc....
    Last edited by southernstang; 08-07-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    " What does not kill you will only make you stronger! "

Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lean88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Perhaps try pre-exhaustion if you have not already

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Lean88 View Post
    Perhaps try pre-exhaustion if you have not already
    ^^^ I would recommend this too.

You said, "The day after a chest workout, the muscles that hurt the most are my front deltoids.".

Are you sure you're keeping your elbows tucked in at all times?