Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    "Certified" Reel Nutz mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by steffo99 View Post
    Pockets, as I read it in the first sentence I had to google since I assumed it was just something about going for number 2.

"A Swedish Fire Log – also referred to as a Swedish Torch or Canadian Candle – is a highly efficient campfire for cooking.

First developed by the Swedish army during the Thirty Years War, this type of campfire requires just a single log and can be made even when the ground is wet or covered in snow."

Although it was only a year, you would assume they would have taught us this in the military.
    I hear ya, It wasn't taught to us in basic training either. I have been on Arctic survival, Land Sea Survival as well as Search and rescue courses and no mention of it either..

I did not know the history behind it.. Thanks.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Only heard the Swedish name before. Also only heard people using an auger to take a hole down from center then have to make a couple of more (4 is better) holes in from side to join the central one. Sounds a pain. That chainsaw cut version is going to be better especially as putting a frying pan, kettle, billy etc won't block all the airflow. Not used myself, but definitely would try it if opportunity. That steak video made me hungry!
    Yeah Tom, I have seen those with the holes on Youtube, also the ones they split and tie with wire. The Chainsaw method is by far the simplest for me, I almost always have a chainsaw on the machine and can knock a tree down and have it made in minutes.

I have showed this to many over the decades and everyone uses it on the regular.

So simple and effective, It's a keeper.
    𝓐𝓲𝓻 𝓕𝓸𝓻𝓬𝓮 𝓥𝓮𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓪𝓷 1976 - 1999 - 𝓒𝓪𝓷𝓷𝓪𝓫𝓲𝓼 𝓔𝓷𝓽𝓱𝓾𝓼𝓲𝓪𝓼𝓽 𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓬𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 1960'𝓼

ᖇᗴ丅Ꭵᖇᗴᗪ ᗩ丅 40 ᑕᖇᗴᗯ - ᔕᗝᑕᎥᗩᒪ ᗪᎥᔕ丅ᗩᑎᑕᎥᑎǤ ᗴ᙭ᑭᗴᖇ丅 - ᒪᎥᐯᎥᑎǤ 丅ᕼᗴ ᗪᖇᗴᗩᗰ

ƚo| ɒ ꙅɿɘʞʞuꟻ bᴎɒ ɿɘʞʞuꟻ ꙅᴎuoᴎoɿq ɿɘbᴎɘǫ ɘʜƚ ɘꙅu I

𝕀 𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕒𝕝𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕒𝕘𝕣𝕖𝕖 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕤 𝕀 𝕡𝕠𝕤𝕥

🄸 🅃🄴🄻🄻 🄸🅃 🄻🄸🄺🄴 🄸🅃 🄸🅂, 🄸🄵 🅈🄾🅄 🅆🄰🄽🅃 🅂🄼🄾🄺🄴 🄱🄻🄾🅆🄽 🅄🄿 🅈🄾🅄🅁 🄰🅂🅂 🄾🅁 🅂🄾🄼🄴🅃🄷🄸🄽🄶 🅂🅄🄶🄰🅁 🄲🄾🄰🅃🄴🄳. 🄸 🅂🅄🄶🄶🄴🅂🅃 🅈🄾🅄 🄶🄴🅃 🄰 🄷🄾🄾🄺🄴🅁 🄰🄽🄳 🄰 🄿🄾🅆🄳🄴🅁🄴🄳 🄳🄾🄽🅄🅃

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    MT, those are spectacular photos of the crystal-clear water and boulders. Stunning.

You might regret saying that Steffo, here's more pics, although they're not great photographically

Tom, very cool. I admire all that stuff I will never have the guts to do
    Originally Posted by BlackJack619 View Post
    F Me!! Just spent 260 Dollars on a new sleeping pad, The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm NXT Ultralight Camping and Backpacking Sleeping Pad. It has an R value of 7.4, so I should be able to sleep on top of a glacier with this thing.
    Very cool, but I hope warm wherever you are. Good investment for a lifetime unless a Grisly comes along

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Just mournings and Eurasians. The Eurasians are almost as big as a pigeon.

Eurasian on top, regular dove underneath. For those of you that don't know, the Eurasian doves are an invasive species. They can be hunted year round. They are smart. You never see them in the country, but they are everywhere in town.
    Nice. Dove breast meat is excellent fried up.

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    For those of you who don’t know, this knot is a good one, it’s simple, has many applications such as a quick tourniquet, tent guy ropes, way too many uses to mention.

If you don’t know this knot, It wouldn't hurt to learn it, you won’t regret it. It’s a keeper that I have been using it since the Fourth of Forever.

I'm going to learn that knot. I only really use certain knots to tie on my lures.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post

I'm going to learn that knot. I only really use certain knots to tie on my lures.

Me to, I am not good with knots..

They say if you don't know knots, tie lots...Das me

As far as fishing knots go, I keep it simple.. I am sure you know this one, but your post made me think that some may not know this one. I was late to the game learning it.

Since then I have been using it exclusively for the last 20 years, prior to that I used the improved clinch knot.

I still use the clinch knot on fly's that have tiny eyes but that is the only exception and I use the Palomar Knot on all my terminal tackle as well as swivels etc...

This Palomar Knot is stronger, easier to tie especially in low light or freezing conditions. Here's a video that can explain it way better than I can lol..

🄸 🅃🄴🄻🄻 🄸🅃 🄻🄸🄺🄴 🄸🅃 🄸🅂, 🄸🄵 🅈🄾🅄 🅆🄰🄽🅃 🅂🄼🄾🄺🄴 🄱🄻🄾🅆🄽 🅄🄿 🅈🄾🅄🅁 🄰🅂🅂 🄾🅁 🅂🄾🄼🄴🅃🄷🄸🄽🄶 🅂🅄🄶🄰🅁 🄲🄾🄰🅃🄴🄳. 🄸 🅂🅄🄶🄶🄴🅂🅃 🅈🄾🅄 🄶🄴🅃 🄰 🄷🄾🄾🄺🄴🅁 🄰🄽🄳 🄰 🄿🄾🅆🄳🄴🅁🄴🄳 🄳🄾🄽🅄🅃

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Majestic. We've had one the past couple years that hangs out at our neighborhood creek and circles over the house now and then. When we kayak the creek we've seen that one near a certain bend by our house several times and we've also seen one a few times about 2 miles upstream. We're thinking that's a different one. They are also seen a few miles upstream farther. I wonder how many there are, if there are a lot or if we're just seeing the same few moving around.

This fall my wife saw a giant bird land right by the house. Before she could grab her phone, it was gone. It wasn't like the common hawks and vultures around here. We looked up birds and she thought the golden eagle was the best match, but those don't exist around here. Possibly a juvenile bald eagle, which she said could be it. On a ******** group for the creek, some say they've seen a golden eagle, but I'd bet they're seeing a juvenile bald eagle. Or could be a vulture or a hawk and seeing it in a different context tricks your mind.

There's a road along the same creek about 10 miles upstream where I often ride my bike and I commonly see Ospreys. This summer I followed one to its nest on a light fixture overlooking a car race track. You could hear the babies up there yelling the whole time. On weekends there are thousands of people there and cars roaring that you can hear 5 miles a way, but that's where they nested. Last year there was an osprey nest near us on a power line pole right over the PA turnpike.

We as a family are terrible photographers. We've never gotten any good shots of birds. We don't have real cameras anyway.

My dad was a very serious, award-winning amateur photographer. Exhibited and judged at shows all the time and held positions with the photographic society of America. My niece now has all his equipment and is a wedding photographer who gets flown all over the world to photograph weddings.
    Last edited by Gabbar99; 12-15-2023 at 06:13 AM.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Me to, I am not good with knots..

They say if you don't know knots, tie lots...Das me

As far as fishing knots go, I keep it simple.. I am sure you know this one, but your post made me think that some may not know this one. I was late to the game learning it.

Since then I have been using it exclusively for the last 20 years, prior to that I used the improved clinch knot.

I still use the clinch knot on fly's that have tiny eyes but that is the only exception and I use the Palomar Knot on all my terminal tackle as well as swivels etc...

This Palomar Knot is stronger, easier to tie especially in low light or freezing conditions. Here's a video that can explain it way better than I can lol..

Yes! I changed to the Palomar Knot a couple of years ago. But, I do one small thing different. At 43 seconds in the video he says he does a simple overhand knot. Here is what I do: Instead of one overhand knot there, I do two. Then, complete the exact same process. If I ever lose a fish, it is never because of the knot.

Very impressive photo. Always amazing.

Originally Posted by Gabbar99 View Post
    Majestic. We've had one the past couple years that hangs out at our neighborhood creek and circles over the house now and then. When we kayak the creek we've seen that one near a certain bend by our house several times and we've also seen one a few times about 2 miles upstream. We're thinking that's a different one. They are also seen a few miles upstream farther. I wonder how many there are, if there are a lot or if we're just seeing the same few moving around.

This fall my wife saw a giant bird land right by the house. Before she could grab her phone, it was gone. It wasn't like the common hawks and vultures around here. We looked up birds and she thought the golden eagle was the best match, but those don't exist around here. Possibly a juvenile bald eagle, which she said could be it. On a ******** group for the creek, some say they've seen a golden eagle, but I'd bet they're seeing a juvenile bald eagle. Or could be a vulture or a hawk and seeing it in a different context tricks your mind.

There's a road along the same creek about 10 miles upstream where I often ride my bike and I commonly see Ospreys. This summer I followed one to its nest on a light fixture overlooking a car race track. You could hear the babies up there yelling the whole time. On weekends there are thousands of people there and cars roaring that you can here 5 miles a way, but that's where they nested. Last year there was an osprey nest near us on a power line pole right over the PA turnpike.

We as a family are terrible photographers. We've never gotten any good shots of birds. We don't have real cameras anyway.

My dad was a very serious, award-winning amateur photographer. Exhibited and judged at shows all the time and held positions with the photographic society of America. My niece now has all his equipment and is a wedding photographer who gets flown all over the world to photograph weddings.
    Gab, I think you are right, that big bird was probably a young Bald Eagle. It takes 6 or 7 years for them to mature. But, they still are huge.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Any Rustic woodworkers/carvers in here?

I do a bit of carving, not as much as I used to, these days I mainly do walking sticks and donate them to senior residences for them to share when they go out for their walks. Covid put a screaming halt to that so things have slowed down on the carving.

My favorite wood to work with is Diamond Willow, it’s a willow that develops a fungus which causes cankers to form in the wood and gives it a diamond shape as well as some vibrant color. You can see one of these pictured on my old beater stick with the chickadee on it.

This particular stick only has a half dozen diamonds but some can have many more like this pic I grabbed online.

It also makes some great furniture pieces, back in the day I would make bed frames, bookcases, tables, coat racks, shelving units, picture frames etc… I did it as a hobby in the winter time. I would collect the willow in the spring, let it dry and the following winter work on it. They sold like hotcakes and were in high demand, to a point where I quit.

I was doing it for fun as a hobby and towards the end it was starting to turn into work. People were asking to place orders and I wasn’t interested in the commitment which was something I retired to avoid.

I’d rather just make something then give it to someone. Less pressure and more rewarding. If I don't feel like working on it for months that's ok. One winter I made a few pieces and gave them to the local minor hockey league to auction off and make a few pennies for their organization. This suits my lifestyle better.

Here are some pics that I grabbed online to show some awesome work that others have done with diamond willow.

Looking for it is a lot of fun as well, it’s not everywhere and will only grow in certain areas . I
    Like to follow creeks or river banks, it likes wet areas and can lead you into some interesting areas when exploring. It’s all about fun right?

Here are some shots I took the other day, I didn’t harvest any, I just added waypoints to my gps and flagged trees and will harvest them in the spring.

Here is a stand of it, this is what it will look like for the most part.

in this shot you can see the part that I will harvest, I am looking to make a shelving unit and this piece will be a spindle

this one I will harvest for a walking stick, with the heart shaped piece will be the top of the stick, the rest of it is pretty straight with several prominent diamonds, it should be a fine looking piece

For those who don’t know, wood that needs to be debarked, spring is the best time to harvest it. The sapwood is wet and will peel off in large strips. This is the same for most wood and is especially helpful and time saving when peeling a sh!tload of logs for building or whatever.

As you can see, this wood has some great character and can be fun through the entire process, from exploring, harvesting, and working with it. It’s a lot more challenging than working with dimensional lumber and requires a lot of creativity to make things work. It's fun.

If you appreciate quality rustic wood work, it doesn’t get much better than what the gentleman has done with his cabin.

The gentleman narrating isn’t the one who did most of the work, his dad and elderly gentleman is the one that does most of the unique stuff.

The inside tour starts at the 3:35 mark. Have a look, I bet you won’t be disappointed.

That’s all I got for now, you folks have a great day and I hope that you get a chance to get outside.

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Been wanting to get into some of that carving and related stuff, but been too lazy cleaning out the intended workspace and procrastinating. Did collect some material outdoors after some workers had been felling down trees etc, a large log piece and some other stuff. Got myself an 80V chainsaw and protection as well as a good variable speed angle grinder, and smaller straight grinders etc with quality attachments, plus even a small dremel tool – one company that seem to make great products is this korean one (manpa) from which I picked up an attachment that seems to hollow out logs etc. in no time so can get creative, or just make large bowls or whatever.

Check out this guy's channel – incredible level one will never get to .

Steffo, that's great, you have the tools and materials, very cool. You will get at it when the time is right..

The tool in the first video can make quick work of digging material out..

The second video I really enjoyed, I can get lost in that stuff and watch many of the, I have not seen this one though, I subscribed and will watch more of his work. He seems so young to have that kind of talent.. So Cool.

MT, incredible shots of the Moose. Magnificent animal and so unique.

I have seen Diamond Willow products like in furniture but I never knew what it was or where it grew. Very interesting.

I would love to carve, but between work and keeping up this place takes up a lot of time.

Thanks for posting.

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The second video I really enjoyed, I can get lost in that stuff and watch many of the, I have not seen this one though, I subscribed and will watch more of his work. He seems so young to have that kind of talent.. So Cool.
    Inspiring for sure. I will see if I can't find this other channel I have somewhere with an american I believe. He makes amazing sculptures of animals like horses, bulls, bears etc but in a different way. First he pieces together various blocks of beautifully colored wood blocks, leaves some space for epoxy fill ins, and then chain saws out the basic starting point of the animal. After gradually shaping things down, he then adds finish and polishes it down so it almost shines.

Edit: Found him - even though I love the asian dude's work for detail etc, I think this work is more pleasing to me somehow.

Perhaps I'll start with a pair of wooden boobs or something - should be a familiar shape at least.
    Last edited by steffo99; 12-16-2023 at 12:07 PM.

fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Was in a high fence game ranch for dove hunting last month. These were all over the place.

I don’t know what those are

fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishnbrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That's hunting and fishing. Just the adventure and getting out is good for the mind and soul. You'll get one, just not this time.

I got one 20 years ago. They’re once in a lifetime. I was just helping my homies. Going back tonight for a couple days.

Originally Posted by fishnbrah View Post
    I got one 20 years ago. They’re once in a lifetime. I was just helping my homies. Going back tonight for a couple days.
    Hope you get one. I would take one for a lifetime. Desert Bighorn Sheep are magnificent, too. Proud and muscular.

We are supposed to get a s!itload of rain today, the lakes are still wide open, we have no snow, unreal. It isn’t raining yet so I am off for a quick hike, going to cook some breakfast in the bush at my turn around spot.. Bacon, moose sausage, eggs and potatoes all over an open fire. I am drooling already....

What do you guys use for Backpacking stoves?

Most of the time I just make a fire, however there are times when it’s not practical, quick lunches, fire bans etc… So these 3 are my goto’s. They weigh next to nothing and are quite compact.

The first one that I probably use the most is the Twig stove. I like it a lot, it doesn’t take much wood, easy to tend to and of course you got that wood smoke that smells like perfume to me.

The one I use the second most is the Mighty Mo JetBoil. It’s a good one too, it’s fast.

The next one is a tangea alcohol stove, I use this the least and not very often, I don’t find them as efficient as the other two, but it does have it’s uses. It’s great in a hunting blind when you don’t want to make smoke or noise. I burn 100% Alcohol so there isn’t any smell either. Great choice for hunting, to warm the hands up without giving yourself away.

How about you guys and gals, what is your stove of choice.

Howdy Mark

Good Luck FB, have a great time.

Thank's for the Videos Steffo, I will watch them for sure..

Have a great day folks, the radar shows the rain about 3 hours away so I gotta make tracks...

MT, before we put some homes on this property, we had campers and before that in the 70s and 80s, we had gutted school buses with beds and Coleman stoves.

I have never had the opportunity to use one of those portable stoves, but they look great ad light for outdoor use. I would use them if I were up there.

steffo, those are great videos. Amazing talents.

MT, before we put some homes on this property, we had campers and before that in the 70s and 80s, we had gutted school buses with beds and Coleman stoves.

Hey Mark, That's cool history about your property. I enjoy hearing about that stuff.

We used those stoves for years before moving to propane, if you are talking about the white gas ones.

The first thing that we did with those Lanterns and stoves was change the gaskets out for leather ones.. They work much better in the cold, the ones that came with it would crack in the cold and deteriorate fast, changing the gasket takes time and not something you want to do at -30, the leather ones won’t let you down.

I still have one at the Cabin, I use it once in a while just to make sure all is good. we keep it as security, I have a wood stove in there and a propane stove, that I don't use much.

It also tags along on our winter camping in the hot tent. The wood stove in the tent is small and blasting it to cook will bake you out of the place. Propane doesn't work in the cold, so the old white gas stoves still has a place with us lol

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Titanium cup 73g, duct tape lid ?g, titanium trivet (cross thing to go under cup) 12g, and 5 or 6 very small hexamine tablets 6g each, titanium foil windshield 13g - all weighing in at 4.6 ounces /130g?

This should heat enough water to rehydrate a main meal pouch (1000 cals) and a hot desert like fruit porridge (375 cals) a small hot drink plus another desert pouch in morning for breakfast. But... it's only good in summer weather and you can't rely on it in really bad conditions and it's disappointed me last summer when I was very tired, hungry, cold and wet. It was about 5-7C/40-45F windy, wet when cloud came down. Made a circle of rocks around it and struggling to boil water. Low down in warm and dry it is good, but not reliable use if you depend on a stove for survival. Very light, good for one overnight in good weather.

https://imgur.com/a/8jd8U9K

-----------------
    Next on list is a small titanium kettle 149g (although aluminium one with heat exchanger fins on bottom might be better even though heavier) and titanium stove 48g plus small jetboil gas (100g fuel) 199g. All weighing in at 400g/14 ounces. But there's enough fuel in a full cylinder to boil a ****** load of water and it's way more powerful and dependable but only for use down to about 20F -6C

https://imgur.com/a/3rxWbgw

------------------
    Lastly for more flexibility such as hanging up if there's no ground under you (e.g. climbing) and a bit more horsepower than the last one is a jetboil style stove but made by Primus as I think the weight and burner efficiency/power is better. Pretty good wind proofing, fast boil times, power to melt snow/ice but 400g /14 ounces and then you need the extra 200g for a gas canister. I save a few g by using a titanium kettle lid not the plastic one it comes with but then you need to cup, which I do anyway for outdoor essentials like whisky so all in about 600g / 21ounces (including a full 100g of gas canister fuel). Again the gas limits you to 20F /-6C you could just about struggle on in lower temperatures like -10C /12F with slow cooking times if you had it in a tent. There are tricks like keeping gas in sleeping bag at night or in jacket pocket and heating water in a small pan then standing it in that hot water to heat the rest of the water to use this kit on colder conditions but you'd have to work hard

https://imgur.com/a/fcLpSvL

-------------
    I have had serious cold weather liquid fuel stoves in the past but sadly not currently as I don't get out much or do much exciting things in last few years due to family pressures, maybe some mountaineering again one day?

Howdy Tom, nice setups, I am not familiar with first one, but quite familiar with the others.

This is my heaviest go to that I pack, a 230g tank, windscreen and mighty mo stove that all comes in at 537g or 19 oz. I could shave 130 grams or 4.5 oz off that by going with a smaller tank but I won a dozen 230g tanks in a fishing derby. Like you said one tank will boils a sh!tload so I am using them because they were $free.99

My other stoves weigh nothing...

Hey Mark, That's cool history about your property. I enjoy hearing about that stuff.

We used those stoves for years before moving to propane, if you are talking about the white gas ones.

The first thing that we did with those Lanterns and stoves was change the gaskets out for leather ones.. They work much better in the cold, the ones that came with it would crack in the cold and deteriorate fast, changing the gasket takes time and not something you want to do at -30, the leather ones won’t let you down.

I still have one at the Cabin, I use it once in a while just to make sure all is good. we keep it as security, I have a wood stove in there and a propane stove, that I don't use much.

It also tags along on our winter camping in the hot tent. The wood stove in the tent is small and blasting it to cook will bake you out of the place. Propane doesn't work in the cold, so the old white gas stoves still has a place with us lol
    Very interesting, MT. It takes years of experience like yours to learn what works best in your environment. I have only been in a couple of tents long ago and they are very efficient, unless massive winds.

Titanium cup 73g, duct tape lid ?g, titanium trivet (cross thing to go under cup) 12g, and 5 or 6 very small hexamine tablets 6g each, titanium foil windshield 13g - all weighing in at 4.6 ounces /130g?

This should heat enough water to rehydrate a main meal pouch (1000 cals) and a hot desert like fruit porridge (375 cals) a small hot drink plus another desert pouch in morning for breakfast. But... it's only good in summer weather and you can't rely on it in really bad conditions and it's disappointed me last summer when I was very tired, hungry, cold and wet. It was about 5-7C/40-45F windy, wet when cloud came down. Made a circle of rocks around it and struggling to boil water. Low down in warm and dry it is good, but not reliable use if you depend on a stove for survival. Very light, good for one overnight in good weather.

https://imgur.com/a/8jd8U9K

-----------------
    Next on list is a small titanium kettle 149g (although aluminium one with heat exchanger fins on bottom might be better even though heavier) and titanium stove 48g plus small jetboil gas (100g fuel) 199g. All weighing in at 400g/14 ounces. But there's enough fuel in a full cylinder to boil a ****** load of water and it's way more powerful and dependable but only for use down to about 20F -6C

https://imgur.com/a/3rxWbgw

------------------
    Lastly for more flexibility such as hanging up if there's no ground under you (e.g. climbing) and a bit more horsepower than the last one is a jetboil style stove but made by Primus as I think the weight and burner efficiency/power is better. Pretty good wind proofing, fast boil times, power to melt snow/ice but 400g /14 ounces and then you need the extra 200g for a gas canister. I save a few g by using a titanium kettle lid not the plastic one it comes with but then you need to cup, which I do anyway for outdoor essentials like whisky so all in about 600g / 21ounces (including a full 100g of gas canister fuel). Again the gas limits you to 20F /-6C you could just about struggle on in lower temperatures like -10C /12F with slow cooking times if you had it in a tent. There are tricks like keeping gas in sleeping bag at night or in jacket pocket and heating water in a small pan then standing it in that hot water to heat the rest of the water to use this kit on colder conditions but you'd have to work hard

https://imgur.com/a/fcLpSvL

-------------
    I have had serious cold weather liquid fuel stoves in the past but sadly not currently as I don't get out much or do much exciting things in last few years due to family pressures, maybe some mountaineering again one day?
    Cool stuff, Tom. I hope the family pressures ease some. I know how it is.

Howdy Tom, nice setups, I am not familiar with first one, but quite familiar with the others.

This is my heaviest go to that I pack, a 230g tank, windscreen and mighty mo stove that all comes in at 537g or 19 oz. I could shave 130 grams or 4.5 oz off that by going with a smaller tank but I won a dozen 230g tanks in a fishing derby. Like you said one tank will boils a sh!tload so I am using them because they were $free.99

My other stoves weigh nothing...
    MT, you are unbelievably prepared

See the Coyote? Masters of camouflage. I took this poor photo with my iPhone 3 years ago.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    See the Coyote? Masters of camouflage. I took this poor photo with my iPhone 3 years ago.

Like that pic, a bit embarrassing but it took me a short while, then it suddenly jumped out at me and I just can't not see it, but for the first 15 seconds I was staring but not seeing.

Sorry if this is a digression to outdoor stuff, but it doesn't fit on an existing thread and is a quick comment so not worth starting anything, but I accompanied someone to a nerve conduction and EMG test this evening. I've read stuff about nerve connection to muscle (innervation), fiber recruitment motor units, firing patterns frequency amplitude, interference etc etc, but when the EMG was done an external gel/electrode was pressed on and the second electrode was a needle into the muscle, the muscle needed to be contracted, like push heel down into couch or lift straight leg up while doc pushes down on feet. What I didn't realise is that as well as recording for analysis there's a loudspeaker so the doc (and everyone else in the room) can actually hear the activity in the muscle, sounded a bit like a crackling Geiger counter (but not increasing in pitch) getting louder and faster as the muscle contracted harder. I asked the doc if that was the motor units firing and she said exactly that. Maybe more interesting for me being there than you guys reading this, but I found it really interesting to hear how the muscles worked. Never heard inside a muscle before. Anyway... Back to the outdoors!

I been using a $20 mini stove from Amazon this year. It’s ok if you’re just trying to boil about 6oz

I have a jetboil also works better but it’s big

Thinking about taking a little trip again, to a place with siberian tigers. The space they are kept is so large and the area ppl can potentially see/spot them is very small and limiting - last time I went I didn't see anything. The place doesn't even have fixed feeding schedules or anything so it becomes just a matter of luck. On the 23rd however, they will have christmas presents for them at 13:00 (either meat packages or live human victims?), which must mean I have a good chance at some decent shots. It will be 6 hrs of travelling time that day though, so not sure..but very tempted. Especially now that felt I got better end results last time with some upgraded gear and better editing skills than in previous years. I'm looking at weather forecasts every day now to see if this bad weather will clear up and can go shoot something.

Like that pic, a bit embarrassing but it took me a short while, then it suddenly jumped out at me and I just can't not see it, but for the first 15 seconds I was staring but not seeing.

Sorry if this is a digression to outdoor stuff, but it doesn't fit on an existing thread and is a quick comment so not worth starting anything, but I accompanied someone to a nerve conduction and EMG test this evening. I've read stuff about nerve connection to muscle (innervation), fiber recruitment motor units, firing patterns frequency amplitude, interference etc etc, but when the EMG was done an external gel/electrode was pressed on and the second electrode was a needle into the muscle, the muscle needed to be contracted, like push heel down into couch or lift straight leg up while doc pushes down on feet. What I didn't realise is that as well as recording for analysis there's a loudspeaker so the doc (and everyone else in the room) can actually hear the activity in the muscle, sounded a bit like a crackling Geiger counter (but not increasing in pitch) getting louder and faster as the muscle contracted harder. I asked the doc if that was the motor units firing and she said exactly that. Maybe more interesting for me being there than you guys reading this, but I found it really interesting to hear how the muscles worked. Never heard inside a muscle before. Anyway... Back to the outdoors!
    Tom, that is very interesting about how muscles work. I have never heard it quite like that before. Educational.

Originally Posted by fishnbrah View Post
    I been using a $20 mini stove from Amazon this year. It’s ok if you’re just trying to boil about 6oz

I have a jetboil also works better but it’s big
    Roger that

Thinking about taking a little trip again, to a place with siberian tigers. The space they are kept is so large and the area ppl can potentially see/spot them is very small and limiting - last time I went I didn't see anything. The place doesn't even have fixed feeding schedules or anything so it becomes just a matter of luck. On the 23rd however, they will have christmas presents for them at 13:00 (either meat packages or live human victims?), which must mean I have a good chance at some decent shots. It will be 6 hrs of travelling time that day though, so not sure..but very tempted. Especially now that felt I got better end results last time with some upgraded gear and better editing skills than in previous years. I'm looking at weather forecasts every day now to see if this bad weather will clear up and can go shoot something.
    We will be here waiting

We will be here waiting
    Yes, you are my online fam so counting on it.

Ok, bit the bullet a bit and tried to narrow down some of this year's pics to get printed. It's too expensive to get all one want and just paid paid 500 bucks for 25 of them, some close to A2 size and others half and a quarter of that. Excited to get some flowers etc printed for the first time – took those with the big 200-500 mm which is a bit different. Hope to get some improvements as I go along next year with better suited lenses when various gardens open up. Really liking some flower pics, more than expected – think it is just the sheer variety of colors and shapes that does it. Some reposts from the photo thread earlier in the year, apologize.

BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlackJack619 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Anyone watch Luke on The Outdoor Gear Review? Have a question about a piece of gear? There’s like an 85% chance Luke reviewed it. He even does talk less asmr hikes/camping videos.
    As above, so below;
    As within, so without.
    Nothing rest; everything moves; everything vibrates.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=185271663&p=1701118833#post1701118833

steff, those are beautiful. Incredible detail and the colors are amazing.

So, as far as lenses, there are lens better suited for close-ups and other that are better for distance? I know zoom lenses, but not much about them.

steff, those are beautiful. Incredible detail and the colors are amazing.

So, as far as lenses, there are lens better suited for close-ups and other that are better for distance? I know zoom lenses, but not much about them.
    Thanks Mark. Most people choose a shorter focal length lens than what I had ofc, and depending on what type of look you want one can also chose a regular one or a macro lens for extreme close ups. Many seem to go for those ultra sharp and super close-ups of the macro lenses, but I wanted to try something different that day with a long telephoto lens. With those longer lenses it is easier to get that creamier background effect if position urself right, and I think these just came out more artistic, closer to a painting in a way.

What I want to try next are my 2 new second hand lenses at this 300mm/f4 (super sharp) and due to f4 can also blur backgrounds, and the 180/2.8 from the 90's - can blur backgrounds even more, not as sharp, but legendary for other portrait reasons.

In other words, can't wait for spring to come around to play around and see what can get.

Anyhow, sleep well all.

Thanks Mark. Most people choose a shorter focal length lens than what I had ofc, and depending on what type of look you want one can also chose a regular one or a macro lens for extreme close ups. Many seem to go for those ultra sharp and super close-ups of the macro lenses, but I wanted to try something different that day with a long telephoto lens. With those longer lenses it is easier to get that creamier background effect if position urself right, and I think these just came out more artistic, closer to a painting in a way.

What I want to try next are my 2 new second hand lenses at this 300mm/f4 (super sharp) and due to f4 can also blur backgrounds, and the 180/2.8 from the 90's - can blur backgrounds even more, not as sharp, but legendary for other portrait reasons.

In other words, can't wait for spring to come around to play around and see what can get.

Anyhow, sleep well all.
    Very interesting. It would take me another lifetime to learn photography. So, I will resort to buying cameras that do most of the work themselves