Page 54 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 4838
    dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Recently applied to a Security Technician job. My professor told me to apply and I happen to know (also linked in connection) the Director of IT Operations and Security. The recruiter told me I was overqualified but she said speaking to the director directly will be more beneficial and could renegotiate the salary or consider me for another position.

The biggest thing for me on this is benefits even if I have to take the $1/hr paycut it'll be a foot in for cyber security, good health package, vacation/sick days retirement, cash match and they have a tuition assistance program. I get none of these currently as a contractor and only 5 days of leave per year.

I really like where I'm at but I'd love to break into cyber security and the benefits are abysmal currently. I'd likely have more take home $ getting rid of obamacare for my family.

Phone interview is Thursday I'll keep you brahs in the loop.
    Last edited by dcbone30; 02-19-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Strength Sports for Life C Project's Avatar
    C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dcbone30 View Post
    Recently applied to a Security Technician job. My professor told me to apply and I happen to know (also linked in connection) the Director of IT Operations and Security. The recruiter told me I was overqualified but she said speaking to the director directly will be more beneficial and could renegotiate the salary or consider me for another position.

The biggest thing for me on this is benefits even if I have to take the $1/hr paycut it'll be a foot in for cyber security, good health package, vacation/sick days retirement, cash match and they have a tuition assistance program. I get none of these currently as a contractor and only 5 days of leave per year.

I really like where I'm at but I'd love to break into cyber security and the benefits are abysmal currently. I'd likely have more take home $ getting rid of obamacare for my family.

1 dollar an hour loss isn't that bad. Good luck! Hope you get it. I've heard being in CyberSec/InfoSec is the most cutting edge you can get.
    Moved Squat, Bench, and Deadlift to Yoke, Log, and Stones.

PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000) PrimoVictoria is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Off-topic and most likely not a representation of the real world, but I think this tv-series is pretty interesting:

Maybe some of you will like it too.
    Last edited by PrimoVictoria; 02-19-2016 at 12:44 PM.

jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PrimoVictoria View Post
    Off-topic and most likely not a representation of the real world, but I think this tv-series is pretty interesting:

Maybe some of you will like it too.
    Actually, all of the commands used were real. I thought that was pretty cool.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

*Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*

sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    lol didn't realize this was going...coming into barge and maybe help a few people out!

Current Position:
    Site Reliability Engineer

Info from a Google perspective what a SRE is - http://googleforstudents.blogspot.co...rlds-most.html

Experience:
    -I would consider myself a Linux Operations Engineer. I have been using Linux since I was 17 (funny enough FreeBSD was my first taste of *nix) and learned from there. Much of what I learned was self taught but in college I studied engineering briefly before going into computer science. I did not complete my degree though. I work in a lot of Ubuntu Environments. Currently much of my work is in Suse Linux but I prefer RedHat and ArchLinux myself but pretty agnostic
    -The past few years I've been working in web hosting. Cloud Computing to be exact. I have experience in Citrix XenServer and currently working in VMware/VSphere environments. My past employer I was working with tools for cloud orchestration and configuration management (SaltStack in particular)
    -CCNA Training
    -RHCSA/RHCE Training
    -Python & bash experience but not extensive. I am, like I said, on the Operations side of things.
    -My shell of choice, zsh. Why? backward compatible to bash and tons of auto completion. It's bash on steroids!

I specialize in Storage myself. Object store to be exact. With the amount of unstructured data produced the past decade, hell even the past five years, there needs to be a better way of archiving and retrieving this data. Traditional filesystems are limited. They are great for handling a lot of structured data, but object store can provide much more detailed information about an object than a file in a hierarchal file system.

Other storage architectures such as Hadoop/HDFS have attempted to solve this problem of large unstructured data in our time but I specialize in working with object store.

Some of the key advantages:
    -Access via API at application-level, rather than via OS at filesystem-level
    -Metadata lives with the object (vs a separate inode in a filesystem)
    -Scalability
    -Durability. Objects are typically eventually consistent
    -End users don't need to manage RAID arrays. A lot of overhead and management.
    -Low cost. A technology like this, among other things that are 'cloud' are intended to cut costs and make data highly available.

More can be found online.

Also I have experience obviously in HTTP REST stuff. I mentioned I worked for a web hosting company and like much of it the API front end is REST based. Also dealt with CDN (Content Delivery Network) stuff in the past.
    A hit was sent, from the President, to raid your residence /
    Because you had secret evidence, and documents /
    On how they raped the continents, and it's the prominent /
    Dominant Islamic, Asiatic Black Hebrew

- GZA "4th Chamber"

wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by C Project View Post
    Definitely in review mode right now. Opening VM's that I've not used in a while and I can't remember the passwords lulz.
    That's my problem with VMs/Linux. I install it, get excited, play around for an hour or so, and then it never gets seen or thought of again.

sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sword_ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What common tools do you *nix guys use on a daily basis? I will list mine:

-zsh
    -tmux
    -vim
    -git
    -curl
    A hit was sent, from the President, to raid your residence /
    Because you had secret evidence, and documents /
    On how they raped the continents, and it's the prominent /
    Dominant Islamic, Asiatic Black Hebrew

- GZA "4th Chamber"

Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nostalgiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Subbed.

Med-Size Org (~800 staff) solo Windows SysAdmin full time.
    But a lot of experience with Linux & Networking & WebDev & nigh everything - did consulting for a while.
    http://www.inklocations.com - Find the best tattoo artists, anywhere in the world.

ITQuest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Need some advice.
    Currently work as software trainer/support for HomeAway/VRBO.com, 5-6+ years.
    Recently acquired by Expedia, much more access to positions/resources.

I want to get into the IT side, we constantly have internal positions open for Network Engineering/Data Scientist/DevOPs Engineering/Network Architect.

Don't have a degree or any certifications.
    Any advice on best way to get my foot in the door with those types of positions?
    Specifically interested in Network Engineering, what is everyone's opinions of those different positions.
    Thinking about going to school online at somewhere like WGU where you earn your college credits AND certifications within the program.
    With their IT degree you would also get a CCNA and Network+ cert.

ALREADY working here for years I have a head start, and they're very good with hiring from within with/without prior experience.

Any opinions of going to school online?

(Had to create a new account to protect my name, which was my username)

jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just got back from my business trip. Did a Windows 10/BitLocker migration. Now I'm focusing on AirWatch and O365. Gotta love this project management/Sysadmin stuff.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

*Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*

SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ITQuest View Post
    Need some advice.
    Currently work as software trainer/support for HomeAway/VRBO.com, 5-6+ years.
    Recently acquired by Expedia, much more access to positions/resources.

I want to get into the IT side, we constantly have internal positions open for Network Engineering/Data Scientist/DevOPs Engineering/Network Architect.

Don't have a degree or any certifications.
    Any advice on best way to get my foot in the door with those types of positions?
    Specifically interested in Network Engineering, what is everyone's opinions of those different positions.
    Thinking about going to school online at somewhere like WGU where you earn your college credits AND certifications within the program.
    With their IT degree you would also get a CCNA and Network+ cert.

ALREADY working here for years I have a head start, and they're very good with hiring from within with/without prior experience.

Any opinions of going to school online?

(Had to create a new account to protect my name, which was my username)
    I'll be going to school online in a couple months. WGU is cheap as phuck, i'm strongly considering it since I have 2 certifications and getting my third this spring so I don't have to take their classes. Online schools are great since I don't have to take time off from work to attend. My cousin is a hiring manager and he told me that IT is one of those unique careers that don't give alot of fuk about where you went to school once you are already in the field. As long as you went to an accredited 2 year or 4 year school you're good to go. If you're looking at WGU look at SNHU as well and your surrounding brick and mortar schools that have online programs.

If you want to get your foot in the door the easy way; find a school that helps with job placement or internships. Local schools maybe better at this since they have area connections. However since you're already in a company that is looking for IT folks, I would suggest you to get the CCNA and slide your resume into the hands of the hiring manager asap.

Network architects are mostly senior level network engineers. If you're aspiring to be a network architect pick up the cisco's network design cert (CCDA, CCDP, CCDE). CCNA should be your foundation since it will teach you the basics of networking and how to troubleshoot which is key.

DevOps is mostly developing tools to support IT operations. (ie. Monitoring software) If you're good at programming go into this field, they make bank.

C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sword_ View Post
    What common tools do you *nix guys use on a daily basis? I will list mine:

-zsh
    -tmux
    -vim
    -git
    -curl
    Very basic

Mostly nano/pluma/gedit. Does pfSense count? Lol

Originally Posted by SynapticCleft View Post
    I'll be going to school online in a couple months. WGU is cheap as phuck, i'm strongly considering it since I have 2 certifications and getting my third this spring so I don't have to take their classes. Online schools are great since I don't have to take time off from work to attend. My cousin is a hiring manager and he told me that IT is one of those unique careers that don't give alot of fuk about where you went to school once you are already in the field. As long as you went to an accredited 2 year or 4 year school you're good to go. If you're looking at WGU look at SNHU as well and your surrounding brick and mortar schools that have online programs.

If you want to get your foot in the door the easy way; find a school that helps with job placement or internships. Local schools maybe better at this since they have area connections. However since you're already in a company that is looking for IT folks, I would suggest you to get the CCNA and slide your resume into the hands of the hiring manager asap.

Network architects are mostly senior level network engineers. If you're aspiring to be a network architect pick up the cisco's network design cert (CCDA, CCDP, CCDE). CCNA should be your foundation since it will teach you the basics of networking and how to troubleshoot which is key.

DevOps is mostly developing tools to support IT operations. (ie. Monitoring software) If you're good at programming go into this field, they make bank.
    Good info thanks man.
    Are you looking at going to school online?
    I was hesitant because I felt like IT needed to be more hands on, but really as long as you learn your ****, and get the certifications required it doesn't matter that much.
    I really don't even think a bachelors is required, but I feel like most of the large IT/Internet companies wouldn't even look at your resume without a degree.

What kind of work do you do right now?
    I'm curious about what the day to day duties look like to a Network Engineer or Network Admin.

omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) omnip0tent has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    TFW somestimes you wonder how you have a job because all you do is remote into and maintain virtual machines, etc.. which involves nothing but following steps and googling problems when they arise.

Then you talk to one of your users and you suddenly understand...

... Dem feels
    Are you not entertained?

MFC #32

It's All About the U

Originally Posted by omnip0tent View Post
    TFW somestimes you wonder how you have a job because all you do is remote into and maintain virtual machines, etc.. which involves nothing but following steps and googling problems when they arise.

Then you talk to one of your users and you suddenly understand...

... Dem feels
    Dude...

"So, put your mouse over the program and right click."

"Nothing happened."

"There isn't a menu that opened up?"

"No, it just turned blue."

"Did you right click?"

"I put the mouse on it and hit the button, really it's not that hard."

"Did you left, or right click, there are two buttons. If you have a trackpad the--"

"I'VE USED COMPUTERS FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS, I'M NOT STUPID."

"How many buttons does your mouse have?"

"I want to talk to someone else."

"No one else is available. How many buttons does your mouse have?"

"..."

"The button you always hit is the left click, if you hit the other button, the right click, you should get an administrator menu."

"... ... ... ... Okay so now what?"

Also the you'll get two emails, one to activate the temporary password and one with the password.

"MY NEW PASSWORD DOESN'T WORK!"!"!"!"!"!"!"!"!"

Did you activate it, fuk boi?

"YOU NEVER SAID THAT!"

It always amuses me when people think rich people or successful people are smart. That's not necessarily true, they're just good at what they do. You can be a billionaire and be stupid as **** outside of your element.

SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by C Project View Post
    Dude...

"So, put your mouse over the program and right click."

"Nothing happened."

"There isn't a menu that opened up?"

"No, it just turned blue."

"Did you right click?"

"I put the mouse on it and hit the button, really it's not that hard."

"Did you left, or right click, there are two buttons. If you have a trackpad the--"

"I'VE USED COMPUTERS FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS, I'M NOT STUPID."

"How many buttons does your mouse have?"

"I want to talk to someone else."

"No one else is available. How many buttons does your mouse have?"

"..."

"The button you always hit is the left click, if you hit the other button, the right click, you should get an administrator menu."

"... ... ... ... Okay so now what?"

Also the you'll get two emails, one to activate the temporary password and one with the password.

"MY NEW PASSWORD DOESN'T WORK!"!"!"!"!"!"!"!"!"

Did you activate it, fuk boi?

"YOU NEVER SAID THAT!"

It always amuses me when people think rich people or successful people are smart. That's not necessarily true, they're just good at what they do. You can be a billionaire and be stupid as **** outside of your element.
    LMAO I had a similar conversation with a C-level employee, but I didn't have the balls to act smart with them.

Good info thanks man.
    I was hesitant because I felt like IT needed to be more hands on, but really as long as you learn your ****, and get the certifications required it doesn't matter that much.
    I really don't even think a bachelors is required, but I feel like most of the large IT/Internet companies wouldn't even look at your resume without a degree.

I'm curious about what the day to day duties look like to a Network Engineer or Network Admin.
    Yep online school at the moment works better with my schedule. Im currently the escalation point for helpdesk and desktop support groups for my company, my official title is the generic "IT Engineer". Im the "bridge" between those groups and the admins. I have admin access to network devices and servers and in house specialty applications. You really have to like IT to get ahead. I got this role since I kept asking all the admins to give me access so I can resolve "XYZ" problems at odd hours before they all got to work, once they knew I wasn't a dumbfuk and they can actually sleep on the weekends they just kept granting me more stuff.

I used to work in a NOC at a fortune 500 tech company and before that I interned at the company's datacenter doing network monitoring/break fix. Network admins primarily maintain the network infrastructure. Network engineers do the implementation and onsite visits. However both titles can be interchangeable. And I've seen admins doing implementation.

IT is hands-on but when I got my associates last year, the hands-on portion was too slow imo. It's better to setup a VM and practice playing around with server operating systems and network devices on your own. I did build out a network rack using cheap stuff from ebay and old networking gear my old job that were getting rid of, since some VPN devices are hard to emulate or just doesn't exist.

dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good info thanks man.

I'm finishing up my AAS in IT/Networking and will be going to WGU in July or so (whenever finaid resets IIRC). I'll get a lot of credits xfered and I have A+, Sec+ and I'll have Net+. But the Security BS at WGU includes the following certs for the program and 2 attempts at each included in tuition:

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®)
    Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNA® Security)
    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security+
    CompTIA Project+
    CompTIA Linux+

Having a bachelors + all those certs I think would put you in a pretty good spot job wise, especially if you can get some hands on work while you get the degree.

The biggest reasons I'll be attending WGU are it's 100% online, certs are included in tuition which is flat rate tuition (~$3k per term), you can cram as many classes as you can handle per 6 month term for the same price and you only have to work on one class at a time. They are also accredited (I confirmed with the school i want to attend for my masters program and WGU is the legit kind of accreditation.)

My final semester for my AAS is a bit overwhelming because I have 12 credits of classes that I have to juggle between my family (wife+kid) and full time work, plus my classes require attendance so I'm in class on my days off/after work. Once I get to WGU it'll actually be a lighter load since I can focus on one class at a time, not 4.

I'm finishing up my AAS in IT/Networking and will be going to WGU in July or so (whenever finaid resets IIRC). I'll get a lot of credits xfered and I have A+, Sec+ and I'll have Net+. But the Security BS at WGU includes the following certs for the program and 2 attempts at each included in tuition:

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®)
    Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNA® Security)
    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security+
    CompTIA Project+
    CompTIA Linux+

Having a bachelors + all those certs I think would put you in a pretty good spot job wise, especially if you can get some hands on work while you get the degree.

The biggest reasons I'll be attending WGU are it's 100% online, they pay for certs, flat rate tuition (~$3k per term), you can cram as many classes as you can handle per 6 month term for the same price and you only have to work on one class at a time. They are also accredited (I confirmed with the school i want to attend for my masters program and WGU is the legit kind of accreditation.)

My final semester for my AAS is a bit overwhelming because I have 12 credits of classes that I have to juggle between my family (wife+kid) and full time work, plus my classes require attendance so I'm in class on my days off/after work. Once I get to WGU it'll actually be a lighter load since I can focus on one class at a time, not 4.
    Great stuff man reps.
    I knew a lot of the final exams were actually getting certified, but didn't know which certs.
    I think it's awesome that they tie that into your school credits. I also like how the classes are pass/fail with less focus on GPA.

I like the fact that you work on 1 class at a time, I think that makes it a LOT easier when you're working full time and juggling life, I also have a wife and newborn.

With a BS in Security IT what kind of career are you looking to get into? Security Engineer?

Had my phone interview. He seemed pretty impressed and went on to schedule a panel interview. He asked more technical questions than I expected, at least based on the job description, but I nailed most of them. He brought up the salary and said the salary is negotiable and I basically said we can have the discussion if we get to that point. So I might be in a position to make the same/more than I am now. Not bad!

Great stuff man reps.
    I knew a lot of the final exams were actually getting certified, but didn't know which certs.
    I think it's awesome that they tie that into your school credits. I also like how the classes are pass/fail with less focus on GPA.

I like the fact that you work on 1 class at a time, I think that makes it a LOT easier when you're working full time and juggling life, I also have a wife and newborn.

With a BS in Security IT what kind of career are you looking to get into? Security Engineer?
    I'm not entirely sure. A lot of things interest me, including security, so I think I'm just going to play it by ear as job opportunities present themselves. Right now I'm just focusing on getting the degree done. I work at a job that has some opportunities and I just got approached by management for a possible promotion should the approvals be made for the position. It's considered Desktop support but the environment I'm in it's a mix of VDI, imaging, SCCM, Citrix type stuff and a bit of hardware on the side. I also just interviewed (see above post) for a Security Technician job. So we'll see. I'm comfortable where I'm at for the time being, especially if I get a promotion that lets me learn new skills.

wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Any IT brahs here have any experience with their ISP modem and not being able to configure DHCP? This is really starting to annoy me.

Through their modem, the ISP lets me manage my wifi (SSID, password, etc.) and let's me look at all of my connected devices and that's pretty much it. No filters. No DHCP. Nothing.

I have it connected to my Linksys router (WAP), which I'd really like to have act as my DHCP server (since it has all of the options) so I can configure a certain range. I'd like to reserve 192.168.1.1-10 for my servers and network devices.

Ideally, I'd like to strip the modem of all functions except for WAN connectivity.

Originally Posted by wings_unhinged View Post
    Any IT brahs here have any experience with their ISP modem and not being able to configure DHCP? This is really starting to annoy me.

Through their modem, the ISP lets me manage my wifi (SSID, password, etc.) and let's me look at all of my connected devices and that's pretty much it. No filters. No DHCP. Nothing.

I have it connected to my Linksys router (WAP), which I'd really like to have act as my DHCP server (since it has all of the options) so I can configure a certain range. I'd like to reserve 192.168.1.1-10 for my servers and network devices.

Ideally, I'd like to strip the modem of all functions except for WAN connectivity.
    Odd I always assumed ISP modem/routers allowed you to modify the IP scheme in your LAN environment.

You can connect your own router to the ISP's router and have the ISP router handling only the WAN traffic and your router doing DHCP. What is the model of the ISP router and who is your ISP? Is there an option to route traffic to the subnet that is behind the linksys router in your ISP router? If that doesn't work, is there an option on your linksys router to NAT the server subnet to one IP?

NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Consultant/Implementation brahs, what do you charge for after hours/weekend migrations in your projects?

Sitting here migrating 12 users charging out $130/hr but only getting paid $8/hour myself (no OT time here, hours billed bonus amounts to about $8/hr)
    “We pay too much tribute to a few human insects when we let their wrong-doing paralyze our faith in humanity. It is a lie of the cynics that says ‘all men are ungrateful,’ a companion lie to ‘all men have their price.’ We must trust humanity if we would get good from humanity. He who thinks all mankind is vile is a pessimist who mistakes his introspection for observation; he looks into his own heart and thinks he sees the world.”

Originally Posted by SynapticCleft View Post
    Odd I always assumed ISP modem/routers allowed you to modify the IP scheme in your LAN environment.

You can connect your own router to the ISP's router and have the ISP router handling only the WAN traffic and your router doing DHCP. What is the model of the ISP router and who is your ISP? Is there an option to route traffic to the subnet that is behind the linksys router in your ISP router? If that doesn't work, is there an option on your linksys router to NAT the server subnet to one IP?
    Not mine, apparantly.

Alaska Communications. Here is the modem. It literally has three options on the web interface: port forwarding, wifi, and a page where I can see all of my connected devices and their IPs.

I'll look into NAT...

Originally Posted by lnvictus View Post
    Any equivalent to WGU in Canada?
    I believe WGU will accept Canadian citizens. You just have to have your transcript evaluated by an American third-party organization.

gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gsxtreme1987 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NZDB View Post
    Consultant/Implementation brahs, what do you charge for after hours/weekend migrations in your projects?

Sitting here migrating 12 users charging out $130/hr but only getting paid $8/hour myself (no OT time here, hours billed bonus amounts to about $8/hr)
    Da phuck.. that sucks.
    Migrating what to what
    VAG Crew

NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000) NZDB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gsxtreme1987 View Post
    Da phuck.. that sucks.
    Migrating what to what
    Migrating a new client from a bare metal install of Win 2012 Std to a virtual solution on vmWare, rebuilding their domain from scratch, simplifying their setup and integrating their AD to o365 through synchronization and not federation. Added a terminal server as well.
    “We pay too much tribute to a few human insects when we let their wrong-doing paralyze our faith in humanity. It is a lie of the cynics that says ‘all men are ungrateful,’ a companion lie to ‘all men have their price.’ We must trust humanity if we would get good from humanity. He who thinks all mankind is vile is a pessimist who mistakes his introspection for observation; he looks into his own heart and thinks he sees the world.”

People doing WGU- do you have an associates/BS and how is that taken into account? How many courses required if you have and associates in IT and also a Bachelors in some lib arts chit?
    http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/transferring

Have You Taken Some Courses or Completed Your Degree?

If you hold an Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) from an institution that is recognized as nationally or regionally accredited by the U.S. Department of Education, you should clear most of the lower-division general education requirements for a bachelor’s degree in business or information technology.

For the Health Professions and Teachers College programs, a course-by-course evaluation is typically required for college credit transfer. See a list of USDE-recognized national and regional accrediting agencies.

If you’ve earned an A.A.S. (or other applied associate degree), you may be able to clear a significant portion of WGU’s lower-division degree requirements.

If you have completed college courses but not earned a degree of any type, you may also be able to clear some degree requirements through a course-by-course transcript evaluation.

Read more: http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/transf...#ixzz41V4PCmXp
    Many Certs also transfer:

http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it_certifications

Problem is my associates is actually a 3 year advanced diploma..not sure it's even recognized in US as AAS.

Hmm I'm not sure. You might fall under the situation where they do a class by class evaluation for transcripts. I'm not familiar with Canadian higher institution accreditation, but I imagine if it's equivalent you might be in good shape.

People doing WGU- do you have an associates/BS and how is that taken into account? How many courses required if you have and associates in IT and also a Bachelors in some lib arts chit?
    You should receive transfer credit for what you've completed so far. How far back did you take those IT classes?

Still taking them/finishing up my school.

Pretty much a bit of everything. windows / linux server admin, scripting/programming, enough to pass ccna routing/switching, hardware, etc
    Mirin.

Any of you guys work on VoIP phones? Got any good resources for when **** goes down? Haven't been out of my element like this in years

Page 54 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 154 ... LastLast