Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm working on increasing my calories to 1800-2000. I did it the day before yesterday, yesterday wasn't quite 1800, today is about 1800. What with estimates and so on I may be in that range already; you know it isn't an exact science. I'm not currently at an unhealthy or dangerous weight and I can afford to lose half a pound or so if that's what it takes to find my maintenance range. Of course, it's made somewhat more difficult because my activity level is sorta hard to calculate; I'm not used to swimming like this or following a lifting program that isn't full of compound lifts.

I really don't want to make this into a food journal. I mention the macros or calories if they pertain to training, but that's about it. I'm not currently at a terrible place with my eating mindset or body image, actually--it's a lot better than it has been in recent years.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    8/23

Feeling a little drained and under the weather, still. Not sure why. I ate more yesterday--over 1700--but perhaps it wasn't enough, because I woke up hungry at 4:30 am and again at 6. I hate it when that happens and it may be that I didn't get enough carbs yesterday, in particular. Today I made a conscious effort to get more.

I also talked to one of my team's running coaches about doing much lower mileage and only running the 400 (not the 800 or mile) when I come back. Feel like it might keep me from repetitive pounding, but on the other hand, I'm worried that I'll do too much intensity even if I'm not doing too much volume. Not certain which is more advisable!

I do have some good news, though, that may be pertinent to my future plans: I don't have osteoporosis or osteopenia! My bone scan came back normal. That's quite a relief.

Workout today was just basic cardio maintenance, I need to maintain something of a base so I'm not hopeless when I begin to run again. Coach suggested doing the rowing machine, as well, but the doctor specifically told me it put too much force on the femur, and I don't want to risk it, much as I'd like to. I think I'm able to swim well enough and intensely enough at this point to get a workout.

swam 3/4 mile in ~28 minutes easy
    Just thought I'd bold somethings that seemed troubling/stood out to me the most..
    I'm not sure how old you are, but I can guarantee if you asked people that you train with or have ran with before.. they wouldn't say the same things (likely because they haven't come from what you have in terms of body image disorder, and an ED.. If I remember correctly that is.)

From what I've read, it can be generally assumed that...you're feeling hungrier, you're feeling tired, are likely pushing your body to it's limits.. I'm just going to echo what D said because I believe it to be true.. you could stand to take in a bit more calories (maybe even a lot more) than what you're currently taking in.
    All you can do is benefit from it, it's not like you're going to gain a bunch of weight or anything.. you are active, every single day of your life.

What's holding you back?

shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    @Erik, I'm 25. And I definitely appreciate your concern, but I'm not in any physical danger due to my eating, weight, or body fat % at all and feel pretty free from ED thoughts most of the time. I think some of my feeling run down lately is just bad PMS. (That's a little TMI, sorry!). As many women can tell you, it makes me tired, kind of run-down, and hungrier than usual. I don't think it's overtraining, for once. It's pretty hard to overdo it with my limited repertoire of exercises. And as for my food intake, I'm working with a nutritionist and following her instructions; when I'm not, I tell her. Like I said, I appreciate your concern, but I would appreciate input on my training more.

8/24

Off from gym (not feeling it prob. due to PMS); took a long walk to get used to walking again. Slow, but 4-5 miles total with my mom.

8/25

Hard time getting started today (cramps) and PMS makes me so lethargic and logy. So I went pretty slow easing into the weights and didn't choose any lifts that were very difficult. Wanted to do some biceps and triceps for once--might as well get some guns, right? I've avoided biceps curls and overhead triceps extensions in the past because of concerns about tennis elbow and, frankly, the fact that they are weirdly hard for me to get right technique-wise without cheating the movement. I'm just not that patient when it comes to isolation. So it was good practice. Also didn't want to do too much abs today because, well, yeah.

I also did some very safe/light leg extensions, just to see if I could do it without any pain. The doctor did say I could. Seems OK so far!

3 x

pushups x 10
    leg extension 40 lb x 20
    lat pulldown facing grip 85 lb, 110 lb, 130lb x 10, 6, 3; then chinups x 2
    donkey kicks x 20 each side

3 x
    tricep rope pulldown 50lb, 60lb x 8, 6, 6
    Renegade Row 20lb each hand x 8 each side
    OHP 25 each hand x 8, 7, 8

3 x
    bicep curl 15lb first then 20lb x 8 then 6
    overhead tricep extension 25lb, 30lb x 8
    ab rollouts x 6

Then hit the pool for an interval workout. I LOVE those, it breaks up the swim so much! I go hard, though... I pretty much wanted to stop after 2 x 50m of each set of 4... but I'm used to that feeling and actually miss it, the feeling of pushing myself through the desire to quit.

A lady stopped me after I'd finished and asked how I learned to swim so fast (LOL, I'm not that fast). I told her the plan Snahck had given me. Hopefully that'll help her out--she said she was just swimming a mile in about 50 minutes and getting awfully bored. I think everyone should do some interval training for cardio; no better way to improve conditioning. I really hope this carries ove to running for me! I must say that the feeling is quite similar to running 800 repeats. I am gasping for air and definitely feel my leg and arm muscles in the same way. Almost like horizontal running.

150 yd swim
    100 kickboard
    100 pull buoy
    100 swim

4 x
    50 fast, rest until 1:00, repeat x 4
    50 recover (backstroke)

350 easy swim to cool down

Total 1 mile
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

8/26

Doing hard/easy/hard days with swimming like I do with running. Hope that's right!

Swam 1 mile in ~35:00 pretty easy. Getting faster, I guess. Pool traffic sucks, though, because now I'm the fastest one in any lane (I know, the turnout at my gym isn't too impressive, I guess).
    --Hubert Humphrey

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    fastest?
    progress is progress
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    fastest?
    progress is progress
    I hope I don't seem like I'm bragging, because I'm still not at all a fast swimmer. Below 30 minutes for a mile is the start of being decent, and I'd love to get there! It's just that my gym is full of older people, especially the pool (low impact).

I'm taking this opportunity to be serious about swimming because when I do something, I want to do it properly, not just kill time until I can run again. I may as well get good at swimming so I have an alternative sport and also because I like to push myself at whatever I do.
    --Hubert Humphrey

8/27

Lifted today, still going sort of easy and also my usual gym is being renovated, so I'm using the gym in my parents' basement. Decent equipment.

TRX circuit x 3:
    facing rows x 10
    facing curls x 10
    facing side curls x 10
    pushups (tricep position, elbows in) x 10
    tricep press x 10

circuit x 3:
    DB chest press 30lb x 6 (I feel like I COULD go heavier but I worry about the pressure in my legs from bracing... side note, start to feel these in my core on last few reps)
    DB single-arm row 35 lb warmup then 40lb x 6 each side
    DB OHP 25 lb x 8 (this is getting easier/better)
    Lat pulldown wide grip 100 lb, 100lb, 115lb x 6, 6, 3 (last 3 with 115 lb was HARD)

circuit x 3:
    DB Russian Twist 30lb x 10
    DB overhead ext. dead bug crunch w/ knees in and out 30lb x 10
    plank, side planks, supermans x 30 seconds each

Then swim:

150 swim
    100 kickboard
    100 pull buoy
    100 swim

4 x
    50m fast with recovery on the 1:00 x 4 (I was doing many of these in <45 seconds each and taking almost full recovery, i.e. almost 15 seconds to recover)
    50m easy (did kickboard, swim, backstroke, backstroke) x 1

No cooldown (except that last 50 yards of backstroke), had to rush off to an appt. I feel like I'm getting faster, but the pieces aren't quite fitting together, coordination-wise, as they do when I run. You know, I don't feel that I can yet channel my full effort simply because the movement is newish. But I'm working on it. It would be easier if I didn't still have to be careful of my leg.
    --Hubert Humphrey

8/28

Off, walked around a lot with my friend. Legs were really antsy/twitchy. Normally that feeling would be alleviated through running. Is that what restless leg syndrome is? Felt unpleasant.

8/29

45 minute spin class, no pain! So happy about that. We did a lot of 15-second intervals and I was quite out of breath.

Skipped weights after because I felt tired and I want to be fresh for tomorrow: I'm going to a master's swim session at 6 am. Wish me luck... I'm pretty nervous.
    --Hubert Humphrey

8/30

Finally out of the woods hormonally--lots of energy and better mood today. I actually went to the Columbia Masters Swim Team practice, which was excellent (great coaching, from what the others tell me). Naturally, I was in the slow lane, but it was so amazing to do a REAL swim workout and get REAL coaching! I learned a sad sick-dolphin version of the breastroke. Swam 2450 yards (about 1.4 miles) this workout, which I think makes it the farthest I have ever gone in a single session. Glad I ate something beforehand, even if it meant waking up at 4:45 am, and had coffee. The coach noticed that I start off too fast and then slow down. This is my pattern with running workouts, too... enthusiasm before skill. Must work on pacing myself.

200 free
    200 I.M. (25 drill, 25 stroke: I did 25 of single-arm butterfly then butterfly and 25 of single-arm backstroke then backstroke)
    50 double arm backstroke

4 x 200
    3:29, 3:39, 3:38, 3:31

4 x 150
    50 kickboard (butterfly), single-arm butterfly one arm each 25, butterfly for last 50

4 x 100
    1:45, 1:50, 1:55, 1:44

4 x 50
    different stroke every 25 (butterfly, backstroke, free)

Then, after the other half of breakfast, a little lifting. Leg is pain-free so I gave light legs a shot and resolved to stop if I felt ANYTHING. Didn't, so:

3 x
    band walks x 20
    bw squats x 20
    bw glute bridge x 20
    donkey kick x 20

3 x
    pushups (20 reg., 12 Spiderman, 10 plyo)
    tricep rope pulldown (60/70/80lb x 12/8/6)
    lat pulldown chin grip (100/115/115lb x 6/5/3)
    leg extension 40 lb x 20

3 x
    chest press (elbows in + hands facing to hit triceps 25lb x 12 then last set was on machine 60 lb x 7)
    Renegade Row 25lb x 8 each side

3 x
    plank, side planks, supermans 30s each
    v-ups w/ 15 lb weight x 10
    --Hubert Humphrey

8/31

I hate it when spin instructors get all fancy and waste my time with Tracy Anderson-esque tiny weight moves. I mean, it's SPINNING, not ballerina arms class. We spent way too much of it doing iso holds with 2 lbs. Some of that, fine, I worked my accessory muscles and whatever, and the boxing piece was OK--reminded me I haven't hit the heavy bag for awhile but not sure I have clearance to do so given the hip and leg drive. Must check.

Workout: 45 min spin class. Too much upper body mumbo-jumbo. I can't wait until my usual gym reopens and I can do their no-nonsense spin.

Tomorrow I plan to swim and do some drills, practice my butterfly, and work on speed on my own. Masters classes will be Tues/Thurs/Fri, so I figure if I also swim Sunday, then bike on days I don't swim, I will be in good cardio shape. My concern re: returning to running is that my running-specific cardio won't be up to snuff, but what I've decided is that that may be for the best; I won't be able to push too hard on the tendons and ligaments and can progress all systems at once. I wonder if that's sensible or merely lazy. For some reason, I have such a mental block when it comes to pool running. It just doesn't seem like a proper substitute for real running and I'm always worried I don't push hard enough because my body is no longer used to running and won't coordinate properly in the artificial medium of the water.

I mean, does it make sense to focus on swimming when I'm in the water, biking for legs, and not pool run? It's only 3.5 more weeks until I can run normally anyhow... I just don't know. Perhaps it's simply the heartache of coming so close to running but not truly running.
    --Hubert Humphrey

9/1

My delts are sore from the dinky weights. At least they did something. So I moved lifting to tomorrow and hit the pool for speedwork. The good news is my workouts are getting way easier! The bad news is I am NOT making any friends in the fast lane given that I am doing drills and frequently passing people too close to the end. But I don't want to mess up the workout and I do try not to get in anyone's way, and the lifeguard said I wasn't doing anything wrong. I just hate to disrupt anyone else's workout.

Practicing my strokes as well. Backstroke's getting much faster, butterfly is less of an epileptic dolphin. My kick isn't so strong because I still feel my right leg is weaker than my left. But I'm faster, for certain--going out on the minute isn't quite challenging enough so I'm coming in at just under 45 and going out on the 55, thereby winding up each 200 yard speed segment in under 3:40 even with rests.

150 free
    100 kick
    100 pull
    25 double-arm backstroke
    25 free
    25 double-arm backstroke
    25 free
    25 butterfly
    25 free
    25 butterly
    25 free

4 x
    50 on the minute x 4 (getting faster, did some under 45s)
    50 any stroke (back, free, butterfly, back--for back did 3 x each alternating arms then together)

50 double-arm backstroke
    25 single-arm butterfly rt arm
    25 single-arm butterfly left arm
    50 butterfly
    100 free

(1 mile total)

... and pounded my back in the hot tub jets after. Felt so good.
    --Hubert Humphrey

fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's interesting that you've started swimming as an alternative to exercises that put more impact on your bones and joints. I'm sure it also burns a lot of calories! That being said, I think you should increase your daily calorie intake. I personally maintain on 1850-1950 and I exercise 3x weekly. You're just an inch taller than me as well as one pound heavier, so your numbers would probably be very similar to mine.
    Make Fihe Not Fat Again.

9/2

Happy Labor Day. Feeling good today, lots of energy.

Spin class 45 min. Some hard intervals and way too many stupid half-pushups on the handlebars. I focused on the legs. Not loving this spin studio, but luckily, my regular gym spin classes are no-nonsense and it will be open again on Saturday after their renovation. I also didn't love that they kept it far too hot in there. Yes, I know when it's hot you can trick people into thinking they're getting a harder workout, but really, you're just dehydrating them. Heat doesn't actually burn more calories (since that's what most spinners seem to care about vs. fitness gains) but it seriously hindered my ability to push the sprint segments enough to mimic the intensity of a running sprint.

After spin, lifting. Wanted to hit legs, back and core today:

3 x
    bw squats x 20
    band walks x 20
    bw hip thrust x 20
    donkey kick x 20
    leg extension 40lb x 20

3 x
    lat pulldown 85lb/100lb/85lb x 10/6/8
    OHP 25lb each hand x 8
    low back row 85lb/85lb/100lb x 8/8/6
    single-arm bent over row 40lb x 8
    hamstring curl 40/50/60lb x 20

3 x
    DB Russian Twist 25lb x 10
    pushup to plank to pushup x 8
    ab rollout x 6

finished with flutter kicks continuous (on back) 10 side to side/10 up and down x 3 (useful for swimming?)
    ... and hanging leg raises on the bars in the elevator x 6

I wanted to go a little lighter but also higher reps/lower rest for the upper body. I definitely noticed that lat pulldowns with 85 feels a lot easier, as do the 25 lb shoulder press. I should also explain that my elevator has perfect parallel bars along the walls, albeit at a right angle, but it's good enough to jump up on. So I did leg raises while riding up from the gym to my apartment. That was just for fun... and also because my basement gym does not have anything you could use for dips or anything like that and not even a real chinup bar, just a weirdly angled one. Hence no chinups in the workout.
    Last edited by shesprints; 09-02-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: forgot my rep ranges lol
    --Hubert Humphrey

fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice, I'm still on 65/70 lbs. with 3x8 on the lat pull, and 15 lbs. with 3x15 on the shoulder press. I've been stuck at those weights for a long time now. My shoulders are so slow to gain strength! I'm wondering if sometime I should try using a heavier weight even if it's just for a couple of reps, but I also don't want to injure myself :\
    Make Fihe Not Fat Again.

@fihe, hey, thanks for stopping by. Some things take a long time to progress. For overhead press you might want to try using the barbell sometimes, I've found it helps with form to do it standing in the squat rack (I can't do that now, obviously). Occasionally doing push press rather than strict military press--push press involves the legs--can help, too, since you will be able to push bigger weights when you involve the lower body.

Plus, if you can do 15 of anything it's time to try 8 of the next weight up. Try 20s.
    --Hubert Humphrey

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You squat a lot for a stick-like girl. GJ. All reps are to depth, I hope?

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    You squat a lot for a stick-like girl. GJ. All reps are to depth, I hope?
    "Stick-like?" You seen my quads?

(granted, I think I was like... 2-3 lbs heavier then? it was early in the season pre-injury). But seriously--thank you.

I have had a lot of coaching on squats so yes, I know how to go deep. I don't squat ATG, I go just below parallel, and front squat slightly below that. I began squatting with 6 months of only goblet squats before I touched a barbell and that style forces decent ROM (elbows to knees).

Sadly, I won't be able to squat for another 3-4 weeks. I'll have to build from the ground up and start light... any advice on that would be appreciated. I have been focusing on really getting my glutes firing with the bw squats and band walks and getting perfect form on them. But I'm so nervous about reinjury. However, I have heard that strength losses even after 3 months won't be too bad? I mean, my muscles are still the same size, which confuses me.
    --Hubert Humphrey

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "Stick-like?" You seen my quads?

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/ssamss/6c3b24f8-9a70-4e9b-a96c-937a6b239508.jpg[/ img]
    (granted, I think I was like... 2-3 lbs heavier then? it was early in the season pre-injury). But seriously--thank you.
    T'was tongue-in-cheek. Your thighs do look smaller in one of your bodyspace pics, but I suspect that's not a recent one. Yes, they look good in the one you just posted.

Sadly, I won't be able to squat for another 3-4 weeks. I'll have to build from the ground up and start light... any advice on that would be appreciated. I have been focusing on really getting my glutes firing with the bw squats and band walks and getting perfect form on them. But I'm so nervous about reinjury.
    I recommend squatting often, with around 60-65% of your 1RM for 8 sets of 3 and 10 sets of 2. The lighter load will make sure you focus on maintaining good form. Most important thing would be to keep working on activating your glutes (you already know this). A lot of newbie squatters relax their glutes at the bottom of the squat, and that's why their butts start 'winking'.

What bar position do you use - high or low? I am going to assume low because that's how you were doing it in that bodyspace pic.

However, I have heard that strength losses even after 3 months won't be too bad? I mean, my muscles are still the same size, which confuses me.
    Muscle size is not always directly proportional to strength. My legs were smaller than they are now last year, but I could squat more back then. Now they're bigger, but my strength is down. It all depends on what you're training for. Do low-rep work more often and you'll get better at handling heavy loads. If you train using the higher rep ranges, you'll put on more size than strength.

@Lucifer, thanks for the advice. I actually think it must be the angle in the bodyspace pictures, because those were taken in late July (all of them). The track running picture was late June.

I think I will have to stick to lower weight higher rep while coming back, but typically, I train in the 3-5 rep range and I do use high bar. Most people would say that the bodyspace pictures are high bar? IDK, it's resting right along my traps and usually rubs against the knob of bone at the back of my neck.

You're quite right about the butt wink--so so common. I do catch myself doing it every so often, like the bottom part of the glute gets lazy. Usually, cueing myself to spread the floor helps to make everything in the posterior chain wake up but it's amazing how easy it is to let it slack off. Wiggling my toes a bit when I just have the bar on my back seems to help as well. Not 100% sure why; it almost feels like it fires the sciatic nerve.
    --Hubert Humphrey

I train in the 3-5 rep range and I do use high bar. Most people would say that the bodyspace pictures are high bar? IDK, it's resting right along my traps and usually rubs against the knob of bone at the back of my neck.
    My mistake. It's high bar.

You're quite right about the butt wink--so so common. I do catch myself doing it every so often, like the bottom part of the glute gets lazy. Usually, cueing myself to spread the floor helps to make everything in the posterior chain wake up but it's amazing how easy it is to let it slack off. Wiggling my toes a bit when I just have the bar on my back seems to help as well. Not 100% sure why; it almost feels like it fires the sciatic nerve.
    BB hip thrusts will help with glute firing.

I curl my big toes up, as this helps keep the weight in the right spot. Most of the weight should be on the outer part of your feet. Doing so will also make sure your knees don't cave and your arches don't collapse.

Also, I like to bend the bar around me after I take in a big gulp of air (puff chest out, retract shoulder blades). Not sure if you can use the same technique while doing a HB squat, but give it a go if you remember.

@ Lucifer, yeah, the toe curl really helps, as does 'bending the bar,' though I think of it more as tensing and pulling in with the lats. Love talking squat technique!

The thing is, bb hip thrusts may be an issue, as my stress fracture is directly where the barbell is placed for that exercise (femoral neck--right at the hip attachment). I don't want to load it up too much. I guess I'll ask the doctor, but my instinct is that that particular exercise might not be a great idea. I am doing unloaded hip thrusts at the moment, but even trying single-leg, which is slightly more load, gave me pain in the area where the sfx is--NOT good.

9/3

6 a.m. swim practice! Not quite as fast today, may be a little tired or just had a harder workout week than usual. I carb-loaded last night, which seemed to help. (Well, rather, I was out all day and just ate like 150g carbs right before bed). In any case I STILL go out a little too fast on the first few reps and then slow down. I'm not sure if I'm getting lazy or underestimating my fitness. The thing is, when I run I can sustain a pace that has me breathing raggedly for quite some time. Swimming, breathing is more of an issue, perhaps due to form. Needs some pondering. Because I wasn't breathing hard for some of the last few speed reps but I also didn't feel I could go faster.

Workout:

125 free
    25 butterfly
    125 free
    50 butterfly/backstroke
    125 free

Speed was all continuous, see below:
    300 in 5:15
    6 x 50 on the :55 (finished them in <50)
    200 in ~3:50
    4 x 50 on the :55
    100 in ~ 1:45
    2 x 50 on the :55

200 pull
    50 butterfly
    200 pull
    50 butterfly
    50 backstroke
    200 pull
    50 butterfly
    50 backstroke
    50 breaststroke

2550 total yards or ~ 1.45 miles swimming
    --Hubert Humphrey

The thing is, bb hip thrusts may be an issue, as my stress fracture is directly where the barbell is placed for that exercise (femoral neck--right at the hip attachment). I don't want to load it up too much. I guess I'll ask the doctor, but my instinct is that that particular exercise might not be a great idea. I am doing unloaded hip thrusts at the moment, but even trying single-leg, which is slightly more load, gave me pain in the area where the sfx is--NOT good.
    Okay, then try that 'kickback machine' if your gym has one. I used it (no homo) when I was trying to gain some glute size (no homo) and strength after knee surgery.

You can also use the cable system:

http://inaamsheriff.files.wordpress....with-cable.jpg

Lucifer--will do! I'll ask my doctor about those specifically when I meet w/ him on the 12th. That's when I get my next marching orders, so to speak. For now I'm still playing it safe. Focusing on glute activation, but honestly, there's nothing like a real squat for full body engagement. I feel like I'm made up of weak links even doing bw squats at the moment. In a way, bw is harder because I need to consciously tense my muscles; they don't engage naturally to manage the load. Bah. Anyway, thanks for all your input. Seriously helping.

9/4
    Off! Actually my first day off after 6 solid days of working out. Ate more than usual (definitely more than 1800) but didn't measure dinner so not sure exactly. Appetite is greater on off days plus I'm trying to do more carbs the nights before I swim, simply because I can't manage much breakfast before 6 am. So far seems to be working in terms of energy.

9/5
    Double workout... whee.

Swim--

100 free
    100 I.M.
    50 DAB
    100 free
    100 I.M.

work set 1 (all w/ pull buoy)
    500 (125 free + 25 butterfly, x 4)
    30s rest
    400 (150 free + 50 breast, x 2)
    20s rest
    300 (75 free + 75 back, x 2)
    15s rest
    200 (free, straight through)
    100 I.M.

work set 2 (no pull buoy)
    25 x 3 on the :30 [did them in ~25]
    75 in 1:17
    25 x 3 on the :30 [did them in ~23]
    75 in 1:14
    25 x 3 on the :30 [did them in ~23]
    75 in 1:14

2300 yd total (1.3 miles)

Went home, had 2nd breakfast + more coffee and rested, 2 hours later, lifted.

Weights--wanted to try incline chest press to bring up my bench a bit as upper pecs don't seem to feel the load. Also working on more tempo 1 up/3 lower down because I am always aiming specifically for explosiveness rather than just strength.

3 x
    bw squat x 20
    band walks x 20
    donkey kicks x 20
    bw glute bridge x 20
    felt a twinge in my leg at the end so skipped the cybex today

3 x
    pushups x 20
    v-grip chinups x 4 w/ 5-second eccentric (bad ROM today)

3 x (all of these were tempo--1s up/3 lower)
    incline chest press 30lb each hand x 7
    incline lying down row 40lb each hand x 6
    DB shoulder press 25lb x 7
    low back row 85lb x 7

3 x
    plank/side planks/supermans 30s each (I really feel my abs on the supermans now, holding me up--definitely better abs since swimming)

3 x
    v-ups holding 15lb x 10
    ab rollout x 6

Abs are feeling good. Want to bring up my lower back for stability when I get back to running and also I believe it will help swimming. Plus since squats and DLs usually get the lower back and I can't do those, thought I ought to.
    --Hubert Humphrey

9/6

Swim again. For those who don't get the abbreviations (I had to ask at practice), "I.M." means mixed strokes, typically first butterfly for 25 yards, then backstroke, then breastroke, then freestyle. "DAB" is double-arm backstroke. Today was a looser practice, only 12 x 100 intervals with some of them IM, which is hard for me (I JUST learned the butterfly and the breaststroke!) and then some of them freestyle, which is much easier and obviously I'm a lot faster at that. It is fun to try new movements in the water, though. Went pretty well today. I may attempt not eating before practice, though, as I felt a bit sick. But I don't want to run out of energy. And if I just have coffee, THAT might make me sick. I'll think about and experiment with things.

400 free
    300 pull
    50 fly (25 kick/25 stroke)
    50 back (25 kick/25 stroke)

work set with all IM on the 2:30 and free on 2:00 (took extra :15 between the freestyle portions on set 3 but otherwise stuck to this)
    100 x 3 (IM, 2:23, 2:28, 2:30)
    100 x 3 (1 free/2 IM 1:45, 2:25, 2:24)
    100 x 3 (2 free/1 IM 1:44, 1:43, 2:30)
    100 x 3 (free, 1:42, 1:45, 1:43)

100 pull
    50 fly w/ pull buoy
    100 pull
    50 breast w/ pull buoy
    50 pull
    50 DAB

2400 yards total/1.36 miles

In general, this was a good workout, consistent splits and good energy. Water's getting cold, though.

ETA: crashed HARD later and had to take a nap. Two days of swim practice in a row is a lot! The schedule is Tues/Thurs/Fri, though, so everyone does the same thing. I think some of my fatigue may be just from waking up before 5 am, of course, though I'm ordinarily a 5:30/6:00 early riser anyhow.
    Last edited by shesprints; 09-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Two days of swim practice in a row is a lot!
    I hope you 'carbed up'.

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    I hope you 'carbed up'.
    I'm having just about 220-250g a day including rest day. Used to feel like a lot but now I think I could eat more, it just seems to give me more and more energy when I eat carbs. I'll talk to my RD about upping intake more as I continue this tough swim schedule plus biking and lifting.

I'm also seeing more muscle hardness and definition these days, as well, so it appears that I'm loading up glycogen effectively.
    --Hubert Humphrey

9/7

I think I just needed a good night's sleep--so glad it's the weekend. Feel much better today. I hit the gym for spin class and also to investigate the new weight room setup. I really need to shake up my routine, and I'm so glad to be able to lift legs again soon. I can even feel the difference as I'm confident enough to include some leg tension/glute activation on my chest press; everything is much easier. But I do think I've gotten just slightly behind the ball on pushing myself with the lower rep ranges since I have been training alone in my basement without the possibility of a spot. Must work on that. Also can't WAIT to hit up squats and deadlifts again; I spoke with a trainer I really trust about my form and he corrected a couple of things on my bw squat and stiff-legged deadlift (always a lift that I struggle with due to body proportions and tight hips).

Really into getting my hip flexors strong and less tight right now. Going to be doing some knee drive exercises with cables once I get the go-ahead. I believe that is some of what has held me back in the last phases of sprints.

Anyway, the workout:

40 min spin, hard, mostly hills and hill racing and I added on a "Tabata" interval set (not sure I went quite hard enough to deserve the name, but it was 4 x 20on/10off).

Weights:

10 pushups
    5 dips 20lb ass't
    5 chinups 30lb ass't
    5 plyo pushups
    3 chinups no ass't
    10 spiderman pushups
    3 chinups

3 x
    DB shoulder press 30lb then 25lb for 3/7/8
    bent over row 40lb x 6/6/8
    lat pulldown 130lb x 5
    DB chest press 30lb x 8/6/7

3 x
    leg press 90lb x 20/20/15 (twinge in leg on last)
    donkey kick x 20
    bw hip thrust x 20

3 x
    dips 30lb ass't x 5 (actually only 2 of these)
    leg extension 40lb x 20
    leg curl 40lb x 20

3 x
    DB Russian Twist 30lb x 10
    Renegade Row 25lb x 8 each side
    Dead Bug Crunch 25lb x 12
    hanging leg raise x 5

stretched a lot--hip flexors in particular--and got some help with my bw squat and straight-legged deadlift form. Struggling with some lordosis, working on engaging lats on deadlift... will likely be easier with weight. Going to be doing more straight-legged deadlift when I get back to legs, as I need to emphasis posterior chain way more than quads.

A guy hit on me at the gym, again. Somehow this only began happening after I really began focusing on upper body. Coincidence? I THINK NOT. Men secretly like big biceps. I had to tell him I had a boyfriend, of course, and I wasn't remotely interested anyhow, but it was flattering I suppose. Bit silly that I take being hit on as a compliment to my biceps. Pretty sure that's my delusion there, but it makes me feel good.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Originally Posted by shesprints
    40 min spin, hard, mostly hills and hill racing and I added on a "Tabata" interval set (not sure I went quite hard enough to deserve the name, but it was 4 x 20on/10off).
    You did it right. I've seen someone use the Tabata scheme while doing burpees as well.

What would be a good cardiovascular workout to be done at home? I first wanted to do bb complexes, but I'd have to turn the ceiling fan off for that or I wouldn't be able to overhead press (vital part of all complexes). I could do burpees without raising my arms over my head at the end of the movement, or maybe do star jumps?

Originally Posted by shesprints
    Men secretly like big biceps.
    Men do like some definition on a woman, but nothing excessive. FWIW, someone did an experiment and filmed himself talking to random chicks on the street. He had multiple cameras attached to his clothing and found that almost all women stared at his biceps. So, all humans seem to be fascinated by that part, lol. No wonder everyone in the gym loves curling.

You can't lose with AMRAP burpees (could always just jump at the top without arms). Some of the trainers at my gym have an ongoing burpee competition and I see them doing a lot of those in a row. Seems like good cardio from their effort level. I don't suppose you have kettlebells--swings/variations are a very easy way to get cardio. I do like mountain climbers as part of a circuit. I mean, I'm sure you know better than I do, really, but those are the suggestions that come to mind. Actually, come to think of it, renegade rows if done light for high reps are serious full-body effort and definitely get my heart rate up. Alternate those with burpees and mountain climbers and it seems like a fun workout I would want to do when recovered.

Oh, and high knees/butt kicks/tuck jumps probably won't smack you into your fan, will they? Skipping might. Star jumps (I call them jumping jacks) are always a good option but I find them somewhat boring. Do you have a jump rope? That will do it too, right there. Single leg jump rope is KILLER btw.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Actually, come to think of it, renegade rows if done light for high reps are serious full-body effort and definitely get my heart rate up. Alternate those with burpees and mountain climbers and it seems like a fun workout I would want to do when recovered.
    *MrBurnsExcellent.jpg* That sounds great. Thanks. Will do that on my upper days.

Oh, and high knees/butt kicks/tuck jumps probably won't smack you into your fan, will they?
    All good ones.

Star jumps (I call them jumping jacks) are always a good option but I find them somewhat boring.
    This is what I was talking about: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image..._star_jump.gif

A 'jumping jack' is different. You don't start the movement from a 'squat position'.

Do you have a jump rope? That will do it too, right there. Single leg jump rope is KILLER btw.
    I think I do, but that won't work for me. To give you an idea how much overhead space I have, if I stand under the fan and stretch my arms above my head, there's only a few inches between my fingers and the blades.