Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by styken View Post
    Haha, I see you've met the biggest dickbag on the internet.
    I bet he made you red too. Repped to try to help against the biggest cancer on this board.

Hey *Steve*, you jackass, why don't you keep your antics to 035 misc, instead of trying to derail serious conversations. Why the mods don't keep a short leash on you I will never understand.
    Originally Posted by Cromshammer View Post
    Thanks.

yeh he's something..just don't have an adequate word for him.
    If I was a mod he'd have 3 warnings then bam he'd be banned.
    Originally Posted by 11BGRUNT1 View Post
    you know what i dont get. It is that steve is talking a bunch of **** on a forum that is discussing leg muscle improvement. So you know i do what i do best and check **** out before i say anything. Well if you look at steves pictures you will undoubtedly understand why it is i am so confused, because he has no legs he is your typical gym rat who is only worried about what the ladies see under his shirts, arm and chest not to be a dick or anything i just thought it was amusing.

I found this forum quit helpful thanks to everyone who provided helpful information.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    THE BODY IS STRONG THE MIND IS WEAK I'AM THE PROFIT FOR ALL THAT I SEEK.
    YOUR BODY WILL NEVER FAIL YOU BUT YOUR MIND WILL EVERY TIME.

Thanks guys , I havent laughed this much in a long time

TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by *STEVE* View Post
    ITT : OP's trollin again ....
    I know you are but what am I ?
    I do ?

Whatever you say rowtard
    Originally Posted by TheLBM View Post
    No need to be negative. All you have to do is click back.
    if people want to help OP, let them.

ps..when people start to "rag" on noobs, I , as a mod plan on doing more than closing the thread. I WILL be infracting and banning those that "rag" excessively.
    in other words..
    like i said
    M O O N spells LBM

http://youtu.be/ip7PPGS7TpE

Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by TheLBM View Post
    like i said
    Thank you.

I'd give a man hug ya but I don't know yah.LOL

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MecGen View Post
    I really enjoy leg extensions, but from day one was warned that these could damage my knees...If I am using this exercise in my leg routine, wouldn't it just strengthen the overall knee? Or is it wearing out the joint? Or is it just dangerous to push yourself too hard with this exercise?

Thanx in advance
    My personal experience:

I started out doing leg extensions, along with my squats, leg press, leg curls, and various other upper leg exercises. After a while, my knees started hurting pretty bad when lifting, and it was affecting my squat poundages, and my ability to complete sets. So I completely quit doing extensions, but didn't change anything else about my routine. It's taken about a year, but my knees are finally pain free again, and I'm able to steadily make progress now in my leg size and strength.

There are people who swear by leg extensions, but I learned the hard way that they are just not for me.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

â–º â–º â–ºDirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts â—„ â—„ â—„ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

Lifts things&puts em down styken's Avatar
    styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have never had the knee problems others have described, and I'm hoping I never do.

However, I never go incredibly heavy on leg extensions, as this has always been my LAST exercise on leg day (supersetted with leg curls), lower weight, higher rep.

So it will go: Heavy/low rep: Squats (beginning of routine) Mid (10x3 or 4) hack squat machine or leg press Light/high rep: (end of routine) Leg extension, Leg curl. Oh, also HEAVY ass calf raises.
    In between the leg sets I'll throw in some hyperextensions, weighted hyperextensions, weighted crunch, hyperextensions, hanging leg curls, to help my core and break up the leg routine.
    [[[]==[]]] [[[]==[]]]

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    Good get. I've had some knee 'discomfort' that I've attributed to a return to squatting but I've also ramped up the weight & volume in leg extensions concurrently. I think I'll back off the weight and see if the pain (under the patella) subsides. Thanks for posting this.
    There is a lot of folklore in bodybuilding in regards to popular beliefs. Studies by exercise physiologist with weight training experience can help to misspell them.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The majority of people in their mid30's who haven't worked out since they were 25 shouldn't concern themselves with movements that develop specific muscles. They should be thinking in terms of movements, not muscles.

When I'm working towards Overhead Pressing big numbers, I'm doing it because the strength, flexibility and spinal stability required to do so is high. If I possess this or work towards it, I will be a better functioning human being that will most likely live long and pain-free. I'm not thinking, "Oh I'm doing this because it really develops the medial head of the deltoid". The size increase of those muscles is definitely one of the goals but it's not the primary goal.

In the case of squatting abnormally to get some desired effect (and I say abnormally because in any real-life situation where you had some weight on your shoulders and you had to bring it up w/your legs you wouldn't have a narrow stance, much less feet together), it's OK to do if you incorporate it into your workouts if you have good mobility/flexibility and already squat normally and can do it w/good form and w/a respectable weight.

If the only squatting you're doing is this thing that develops your tear-drop muscle, when a real-life situation comes where you have to use your glutes and hamstrings, you're going to fail miserably.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    The majority of people in their mid30's who haven't worked out since they were 25 shouldn't concern themselves with movements that develop specific muscles. They should be thinking in terms of movements, not muscles.

When I'm working towards Overhead Pressing big numbers, I'm doing it because the strength, flexibility and spinal stability required to do so is high. If I possess this or work towards it, I will be a better functioning human being that will most likely live long and pain-free. I'm not thinking, "Oh I'm doing this because it really develops the medial head of the deltoid". The size increase of those muscles is definitely one of the goals but it's not the primary goal.

In the case of squatting abnormally to get some desired effect (and I say abnormally because in any real-life situation where you had some weight on your shoulders and you had to bring it up w/your legs you wouldn't have a narrow stance, much less feet together), it's OK to do if you incorporate it into your workouts if you have good mobility/flexibility and already squat normally and can do it w/good form and w/a respectable weight.

If the only squatting you're doing is this thing that develops your tear-drop muscle, when a real-life situation comes where you have to use your glutes and hamstrings, you're going to fail miserably.

The squat is a compound exercise. You cannot isolate a separate quadriceps muscle. An abnormal squat is a squat with bad form with the risk of injury.

People weight train to improve the appearance of their physique or to increase their strength. Which is of primary importance is a matter of opinion.

I started weighting for bodybuilding in my mid thirties. I developed my routines based on muscle groups. I studied the structure and actions of the various muscle groups in order to properly execute the exercises. I incorporated compound exercises for developing strength and size. I included isolation exercises to target various muscles.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    People weight train to improve the appearance of their physique or to increase their strength. Which is of primary importance is a matter of opinion.
    Yes but the typical American who hasn't worked out for 7 years can gain both doing a strength program as opposed to a bodybuilding program.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes but the typical person who hasn't worked out for 7 years can gain both doing a strength program as opposed to a bodybuilding program.
    Fixed.

This is true for the typical anyone who hasn't worked out for seven years, regardless of nationality.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    Fixed.

This is true for the typical anyone who hasn't worked out for seven years, regardless of nationality.
    Yes but we more sedentary w/desk jobs that produce flexibilty/mobility issues.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes but the typical American who hasn't worked out for 7 years can gain both doing a strength program as opposed to a bodybuilding program.
    That's an old sterotype. Wouldn't you say that you could flip flop this and still call it true? That a noob can gain both strength and muscle hypertrophy on a bodybuilding program? I see it all the time, anyway. Its a stereotype that bodybuilder's construct their training based on isolation exercises. Most bbers who have any sort of knowledge/success realize that compound movements are key components to training, isolation exercises being accessories.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    That's an old sterotype. Wouldn't you say that you could flip flop this and still call it true? That a noob can gain both strength and muscle hypertrophy on a bodybuilding program? I see it all the time, anyway. Its a stereotype that bodybuilder's construct their training based on isolation exercises. Most bbers who have any sort of knowledge/success realize that compound movements are key components to training, isolation exercises being accessories.
    Yes, the flip side is definitely true and people in the gym do it all the time. But the typical inactive adult in today's society has mobility and flexibility issues to some degree. Having a chest day where he's doing flyes and having a delt day where he's doing front raises is going to be detrimental.

btw, I'm not saying successful bbers don't center their workouts around compound movements. They definitely do and have some serious strength

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Way back when I first stepped into a weight room (circa 1983-84), most people were doing isolation exercises with far too little weight and far too many reps. Last time I stepped into a weight room (this past weekend) most people were doing isolation exercises with far too little weight and far too many reps.

Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500) Cromshammer is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by NYkarate View Post
    Way back when I first stepped into a weight room (circa 1983-84), most people were doing isolation exercises with far too little weight and far too many reps. Last time I stepped into a weight room (this past weekend) most people were doing isolation exercises with far too little weight and far too many reps.
    Well you know what they say don't you?

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

As I stated some people lift weights to change their physique. Increasing strength is secondary. You can increase your strength with a bodybuilding program.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NYkarate View Post
    Agreed on the '80s, but I have been pleasantly surprised at what people are doing these days, especially women. That is prolly gym-specific though. But Kel was saying that a noob would gain both strength and hypertrophy on a power program but not a bb'ing program. The people you see at the gym doing all those isolation exercises are following neither program I am just pointing out that the typical out of shape newcomer can do all sorts of building of strength, muscle and flexibility following either one. But first they actually need to follow a program at all lol.

Progress not Perfection cowboybiker's Avatar
    cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cowboybiker has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well you know what they say don't you?

"The more things change the more they stay the same"
    The only thing consistant in life is CHANGE.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson

Be yourself; Everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Thank you

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Agreed on the '80s, but I have been pleasantly surprised at what people are doing these days, especially women. That is prolly gym-specific though. But Kel was saying that a noob would gain both strength and hypertrophy on a power program but not a bb'ing program. The people you see at the gym doing all those isolation exercises are following neither program I am just pointing out that the typical out of shape newcomer can do all sorts of building of strength, muscle and flexibility following either one. But first they actually need to follow a program at all lol.
    Well the first thing that happens to a newbie is a process of neurological change in the body and anyone who lifts heavy enough, will get better at lifting weight just because their wiring if you will becomes more efficient. The style of the program is less important than your neurons and brain getting adapted to lifting heavier weights and recruiting more muscle fibers.

Typically hypertrophy is at a minimum in the beginning, no matter how a person trains. Your body must go through an adaptation process. Once your body becomes efficient in recruiting muscle fibers, than the amount of hypertrophy you can create goes up. However, hypertrophy will only occur as you increase the load applied to the muscle progressively (in other words, a sound program to start and continue with is essential for hypertrophy).

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok I have recently started back working out with weights after stoping when I was 25.

Went to a gym and hit the weights and some guy tried blasting me because of the fact I squat with my feet together.That is until i told him of the results i got from it when i trained from my teens til I was 25 and he decided to try it.

For me I had got not only size increases to my thigh back then but good sweep to then and the tear drop shaped muscle at the knees was well developed.
    both styles of squats are good for your tear drop... The biggest benefit to close stance squats is to take the abductor out of the movment... this can make you look wider in the hips, especiallyl beneficial to go close for women.
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) groworgo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    been following this thread. some good info. for me- I have good quad development but even then my " teardrop " does not stand out. tried many different things. now believe it is just the way I am put together .

Oh, and I also just like to give Keltron the chit and pretend to start a bb'ing versus Oly/PLer "war"

Layne Norton is a good example of a man who has been successful in both arenas. Having just finished his strength/hypertrophy program, I had a heck of alot of fun combining both low rep power days with traditional bb'er hypertrophy days. Best of both worlds I am primarily a bb'er, I have aesthetic goals, but I enjoy being strong as well.

themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themyth2009 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh, and I also just like to give Keltron the chit and pretend to start a bb'ing versus Oly/PLer "war"

Layne Norton is a good example of a man who has been successful in both arenas. Having just finished his strength/hypertrophy program, I had a heck of alot of fun combining both low rep power days with traditional bb'er hypertrophy days. Best of both worlds I am primarily a bb'er, I have aesthetic goals, but I enjoy being strong as well.
    Lots of BB started out as power lifters.....and lots still train like you describe...Ron Coleman, Branch Warren, Johnnie Jackson.....
    Resident smart arse and grammar fool....instagram: heartandfitness

Open Heart Surgery on May 26, 2012. My life goal is to educate and inspire other heart patients. Medical study for new heart patient drugs to start in January 2013. If you have a family history of heart disease please get your blood tested ASAP and your kids. It could save their life.

MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaLiBu24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My PT has me do close stance squats.They felt awkward at first but I'm starting to really like them.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cowboybiker View Post
    The only thing consistant in life is CHANGE.
    close.

change is certain in everything except vending machines.

BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK... consider this ---

You've torn/ripped the Vastus Lateralis tendon completely (on one leg), and the Rectus Femoris tendon as well. There MAY be damage to the Vastus Intermedius tendon (but it is impossible to tell via x-rays or MRI). The Vastus Medialis tendon APPEARS to still be intact. Surgical repair is NECESSARY to repair the found/known damage.

Surgery goes well, but now you have SEVERAL weeks of "down time". You MUST allow the repaired tendons (stitched up tendons) time to heal. After what seems an eternity (but it was really only a few weeks), you get the "green light" to start therapy and LIGHT training.

Yeah.... you guessed it --- I've gone through this. My injury (and surgery) occured over 3 years ago. I'm STILL trying to bring up the lagging muscles.

It has taken a LONG time to get back to the point of being ABLE to do narrow stance squats. But, now that I'm able to do them again I'm FINALLY starting to get some real stimulation/response and slight growth on the "outer" quads. [Have been doing leg extensions, shoulder-width box squats and shoulder-width vertical presses for over two years with almost NO improvement on my "outer" quads.]

I haven't had TOO much trouble getting upper leg growth (size) in the last two years, but it's mostly been "inner" thigh and the hamstrings. [The stronger muscles will take the bulk of the load and let the weak/injured muscles continue to lag behind.]

I'm leaving out a LOT of details as to my previous training experiences and results (as I'm pretty sure that most wouldn't be very interested!). All I'm really trying to say here is that from MY experiences WITH and WITHOUT INJURIES/RECOVERING FROM INJURIES there can definitely be a difference in what muscles are being "focused on" by using different stances while performing squats (as well as other exercises for the quads).

Hey.... just my 2-cents!
    Last edited by BlondeOak; 05-05-2011 at 02:03 AM.

anonymous
    Foot placement absolutely affects which quad muscle is used, and a closer stance will encourage a knees-over-toes, more upright stance which 'quad dominant' squatters excell in.

that said, squatting with your feet together is .. odd.

BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlondeOak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    .......that said, squatting with your feet together is .. odd.

Absolutely! I should clarify what I consider/define narrow stance squats --- feet approximately 12-14 inches apart, toes pointed almost completely forward (a FEW degrees outward --- not much), knees kept pointing forward (as much as possible during the entire movement) and squatting down in a CONTROLLED fashion to parallel/slightly below parallel. NO bounce at the bottom (not even possible to "bounce" if you've really squatted with the correct/controlled form). Return to the upright standing position.

I'm trying to picture what would happen if I TRIED to squat with a barbell behind my neck and my feet together --- I just can't picture it working at all!

ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i would say close stance would be tough for most to do and could be stressful on knees.now to hit teardrop definitely hack squats for that.....or sissy squats.