Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I deleted my other post to make a serious response. As someone in the IT field that owns a custom built PC w/W7, uses Redhat at the office, and owns a 2011 macbook pro I would say if you are getting a laptop and have the money or parents are buying it for you I would get the mac. The main reasons would be the battery, build quality, and heat. The battery is going to work like the day you got it for at least 4 - 5 years. Everyone knows the macs have the best build quality, they have very low heat so you can have them on your lap without burning your leg. If you are thinking about gaming a lot it might not be the best bet though but laptops and gaming shouldn't go together to begin with.

Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Boatski View Post
    You realize that Win7's task bar is basically a straight copy from OSX right?

I also like how people always mention hardware, but fail to mention screen quality, keyboard, battery, and the actual case.
    brb paying $1000 for a keyboard and a battery

Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SightSeeker View Post
    I deleted my other post to make a serious response. As someone in the IT field that owns a custom built PC w/W7, uses Redhat at the office, and owns a 2011 macbook pro I would say if you are getting a laptop and have the money or parents are buying it for you I would get the mac. The main reasons would be the battery, build quality, and heat. The battery is going to work like the day you got it for at least 4 - 5 years. Everyone knows the macs have the best build quality, they have very low heat so you can have them on your lap without burning your leg. If you are thinking about gaming a lot it might not be the best bet though but laptops and gaming shouldn't go together to begin with.
    ^^

I have an 09 macbook pro and the battery still lasts a good 6 hours with a bit over 300 cycles on it.

Though, mine gets up to 80C when cpu usage spikes for a while.
    Hide yo kids, hide yo wife.

SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SightSeeker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Spungey View Post
    brb paying $1000 for a keyboard and a battery
    Do you think they are supposed to give that stuff away for free? It's the reason they cost more than the other companies. Screen resolution is going to be higher, battery is going to last longer and not fade, lighter, thiner, metal, glass screen instead of plastic on a lot of laptops. Yes that is worth the price to people.

Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100) Spungey is not very well liked. (-100)
    Do you think they are supposed to give that stuff away for free? It's the reason they cost more than the other companies. Screen resolution is going to be higher, battery is going to last longer and not fade, lighter, thiner, metal, glass screen instead of plastic on a lot of laptops. Yes that is worth the price to people.
    And that's why Apple are so rich, they sell their stuff so expensive because it has a Mac logo. Try selling the exact same hardware/screen/keyboard etc with any other OS and no-one will buy it.

Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There are plenty of people who will buy a MBP just to put windows on it because they like the build quality.

Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In my experience with the MacBook Pro, the battery thing is true, but that can also be said about all the other elite class laptops, then we go to the heat issue, I could warm my room with the MBP, that's the second hottest running laptop ever, first up being the HP DV series. Now for build quality, you're just plain wrong, most upper middle end laptops which BTW usually cost a few hundred less than a comparable MBP have the same build quality, with the same materials. Let's now move to upper end laptops, which are always better built with much better quality than a MBP, and usually these cost the same as a comparable MBP.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Originally Posted by Godfrd824 View Post
    In my experience with the MacBook Pro, the battery thing is true, but that can also be said about all the other elite class laptops, then we go to the heat issue, I could warm my room with the MBP, that's the second hottest running laptop ever, first up being the HP DV series. Now for build quality, you're just plain wrong, most upper middle end laptops which BTW usually cost a few hundred less than a comparable MBP have the same build quality, with the same materials. Let's now move to upper end laptops, which are always better built with much better quality than a MBP, and usually these cost the same as a comparable MBP.
    Please provide examples of these.

Edit - and maybe your macbook gets hot but mine certainly doesn't. It gets mildly warm and no fan comes on even after a couple hours on my lap on the couch. If I tired that with the GFs HP I wouldn't be able to stand the heat srs. We have to put this cooler fan thing underneath it and the fans are screaming for air.

boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000) boast is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use my macbook and my linux desktop for college, and I've had no problems. Anything I could not run meant I had to use my computer labs licensed software/libraries anyways.

I had a friend who kept buying these really expensive "gaming laptops" and they always kept getting some problem/issues here and there (ranging from dell to asus gaming laptops). I finally convinced him to get a macbook for "non gaming" purposes, and he fell in love with it after being a windows fanboy (except he doesn't like to tell anyone lol).

Originally Posted by Spungey View Post
    And that's why Apple are so rich, they sell their stuff so expensive because it has a Mac logo. Try selling the exact same hardware/screen/keyboard etc with any other OS and no-one will buy it.
    same screen? Link me to a laptop that uses an IPS screen like a macbook pro for less than $900.

Only the highend "PC" laptops $1500+ have such a screen.
    Thats life, son!

Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Please provide examples of these.
    I have before, actually, I provided examples on your own thread, but I'll do it again, with my favorites.

Pound for pound, the HP TM2T goes up against the MBP's, the screen is smaller, but that's a plus for me, it has a 7 hour battery life, touch screen and digitizer, and the hardware is great for the price which is about $700, much cheaper than any MBP, the build quality is just as good as a MBP, it's made out of stamped aluminum just like the MBP. This is a convertible tablet BTW.

Now for something that surpasses any MBP, we can look towards my other favorite, the HP 2740P, also a tablet, because I like tablets, It is touch Screen and has a Digitizer, the hardware is superb, the screen is still 12" but I like that. Now the biggie, the build quality, it's built to milspec standards, It has a milled magnesium chassis. It is a bit more expensive starting out at about $1500. Also, the battery life on this one is over 11 hours.

We can also look at any Lenovo for better quality than a MBP.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rashbeep is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    already starting to be a ****fest.. but hey what do you expect with these kinds of threads. op needs to get in here and say if its just a school laptop, or a laptop he wishes to use for everything on a daily basis. if he wants the latter then a macbook pro would be a viable option as the heat, build quality, looks, backlit keyboard become more relevant features (not to say you can't find a pc with those features as well). if he wants something JUST FOR SCHOOL (assuming he has another computer at home he can dick around on) a macbook is a waste of money imo.

I have before, actually, I provided examples on your own thread, but I'll do it again, with my favorites.

Pound for pound, the HP TM2T goes up against the MBP's, the screen is smaller, but that's a plus for me, it has a 7 hour battery life, touch screen and digitizer, and the hardware is great for the price which is about $700, much cheaper than any MBP, the build quality is just as good as a MBP, it's made out of stamped aluminum just like the MBP. This is a convertible tablet BTW.

[img]http://www.notebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/HP-tm2t.jpg[/mg]

Now for something that surpasses any MBP, we can look towards my other favorite, the HP 2740P, also a tablet, because I like tablets, It is touch Screen and has a Digitizer, the hardware is superb, the screen is still 12" but I like that. Now the biggie, the build quality, it's built to milspec standards, It has a milled magnesium chassis. It is a bit more expensive starting out at about $1500. Also, the battery life on this one is over 11 hours.

[img]http://www.hardwaresphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hp-elitebook-2740p-convertible-tablet-pc.jpg[img]

We can also look at any Lenovo for better quality than a MBP.
    They seem nice but on a quick google the top one has an i3 so it's not the same hardware but yes it seems to be about the same quality.

And like I said in the other thread about the other one if it costs more it should be better.

They seem nice but on a quick google the top one has an i3 so it's not the same hardware but yes it seems to be about the same quality.

And like I said in the other thread about the other one if it costs more it should be better.
    Well, the top one can be had with an I5 processor as well, and it's only like $75 more.

HP 2740P:
    "Starting at: $ 1,599.00*"
    WXGA screen, like all other laptops with low quality screens
    Battery life: 6-cell (44 WHr): up to 5 hours (hard drive)
    6-cell (44 WHr): up to 5 hours 15 minutes (Solid State Drive)

ralph pls go.

edit: lol
    Graphics
    Intel® HD Graphics

doesn't even offer a discrete card?
    Last edited by Boatski; 05-20-2011 at 08:33 AM.

ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ramirogz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1) check with the university or a student if you need any software that only runs in a specific OS, some engineering or arts major will have software that will run only in windows or mac.
    2) if you need mac based software, then there's your answer, if not decide how much you want/can spend
    3) if you like mac OS then get one, otherwise get a windows

HP 2740P:
    "Starting at: $ 1,599.00*"
    WXGA screen, like all other laptops with low quality screens
    Battery life: 6-cell (44 WHr): up to 5 hours (hard drive)
    6-cell (44 WHr): up to 5 hours 15 minutes (Solid State Drive)

ralph pls go.

edit: lol
    Graphics
    Intel® HD Graphics

doesn't even offer a discrete card?
    It's a business tablet, not for gaming. Also, the battery life can be extended up to 11 hours. Also, why the hell would anyone need 1080P on a 12" laptop? BTW, the screen is like that because of the limitation of the digitizer, you can get the same laptop, with a discreet graphics card and a super high resolution screen, but it won't be a tablet, and I like tablets

It's a business tablet, not for gaming. Also, the battery life can be extended up to 11 hours. Also, why the hell would anyone need 1080P on a 12" laptop? BTW, the screen is like that because of the limitation of the digitizer, you can get the same laptop, with a discreet graphics card and a super high resolution screen, but it won't be a tablet, and I like tablets
    Thanks proving my theory on you having no idea wtf you're talking about.

Thanks proving my theory on you having no idea wtf you're talking about.
    Really, how so, give examples please.

6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000) 6Pax is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you can get a MBP, they're a level above anything I've personally seen on Windows in terms of build quality, screen, keyboard, battery life, etc...

If you can't afford, theres plenty of good windows laptops that will suit your needs as well, but apple laptops have a premium feel and quality which I haven't seen elsewhere.

Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    PC Fanboy checking in.

Go with MBP. By all means a better build, software and quality all around.
    After years of hating on apple, I ended up buying one for the image processing.. and I was blown away by options.

Whoever is saying that mac can't be used for gaming.. check your information. there are plenty of games for MAC platform.
    torrents? always ready.
    Videos? No need for extra decoders.
    Image processing? Much easier.. much faster.

and LOL @ HP guy.. I wouldn't touch an HP laptop with a 6ft stick. But, hey, what do i know, I just work in It...

Originally Posted by Foques View Post
    PC Fanboy checking in.

After years of hating on apple, I ended up buying one for the image processing.. and I was blown away by options.

Whoever is saying that mac can't be used for gaming.. check your information. there are plenty of games for MAC platform.
    torrents? always ready.

and LOL @ HP guy.. I wouldn't touch an HP laptop with a 6ft stick. But, hey, what do i know, I just work in It...
    Ah, so because you pencil push at some desktop support center you're an expert, have you ever used one of HP's elite class systems?

tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tdnick has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Coming down to Florida this year when we play yall (Tennesse)
    Winter is not coming
    Aways pick 1 crew
    Calf veins are bigger than bicep veins crew
    DA BEARS, Cubs, Vols, Grizzlies

SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Apple Fanboy checking in.

torrents? always ready.

Lol'd and fixed your first line.

Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Foques has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ah, so because you pencil push at some desktop support center you're an expert, have you ever used one of HP's elite class systems?
    I have. What do you do? Mow lawns?

Any IT person will confirm - HP is garbage.. cheap? yes. Built of quality hardware? no.
    And the only few "elite" systems compare in cost to those of Apple, and perform lower.

But you are clearly incapable of having a normal argument and trying to position yourself higher than me, so any further confrontation with you is just plain pointless. Sit tight, and dwell in your ignorance.

all these arguments of Apple VS Winblows are just same as Domestic VS Import cars, or Pepsi VS coke.. To each their own.

Originally Posted by SeanP35 View Post
    Lol'd and fixed your first line.
    WOW!! I have never seen anyone do something SO SMART before!!!
    TEACH me!! Teach me how did you learned all this power of the inerwebz!!!!

I have. What do you do? Mow lawns?

Any IT person will confirm - HP is garbage.. cheap? yes. Built of quality hardware? no.
    And the only few "elite" systems compare in cost to those of Apple, and perform lower.

But you are clearly incapable of having a normal argument and trying to position yourself higher than me, so any further confrontation with you is just plain pointless. Sit tight, and dwell in your ignorance.

all these arguments of Apple VS Winblows are just same as Domestic VS Import cars, or Pepsi VS coke.. To each their own.
    How much are you willing to bet on this?
    Last edited by Godfrd824; 05-20-2011 at 11:41 AM.

you do know that [img] code isn't same thing as the [b] code, right? lol
    Prove me wrong, come on! Don't throw the "how much you want to bet to this" crap, we're not in high school.

Also, while you're at it, do tell why are the majority of business are not using HP (only small business, for the most part, do.. due to costs).
    also, while you're at it, do tell why are the PCs not used for the animation and graphic design as much...
    Finally, do tell what do you know of a Mac? Do you own one? Have you played with one (outside of your highschool lab, obviously)?

edit:

one more thing.. How many years have you been "dealing" with computers that makes you so knowledgeable? and don't tell me that you have an IT degree or some BS like that, it doesn't mean **** in this world.

you do know that [img] code isn't same thing as the [b] code, right? lol
    Prove me wrong, come on! Don't throw the "how much you want to bet to this" crap, we're not in high school.

Also, while you're at it, do tell why are the majority of business are not using HP (only small business, for the most part, do.. due to costs).
    also, while you're at it, do tell why are the PCs not used for the animation and graphic design as much...
    Finally, do tell what do you know of a Mac? Do you own one? Have you played with one (outside of your highschool lab, obviously)?

edit:

one more thing.. How many years have you been "dealing" with computers that makes you so knowledgeable? and don't tell me that you have an IT degree or some BS like that, it doesn't mean **** in this world.
    I always make the mistake of putting IMG code instead of B.

Most business do use HP, infact, the US government uses exclusively HP. And it ain't because they're cheap, how do I know this, because it was my job while in the military.

You fail again, I am an expert in modeling and rendering, as in 3d graphics, and I know for a fact no large studio, such as Weta or ILM uses Macs, no small studios uses Macs either, Macs are used for post processing and compositing, and that's only because Apple bought the industry standard software and made it OSX only.

I got a 17" MBP, it's a great machine, but not for the price, it has the same hardware as a $700 Acer, how do I know this, because I've taken both apart, and I had to fuk with Kext editing in order to get Ideneb working with the Acer.

I've been fuking with computers in all aspects since I was about 10, I started nurbs modelling at 12 on Rhino, then moved up to sub-d with Max, then I went on to learn Mental Ray, and now I'm learning Vray. I'm also amazing at Photoshop.

Other than the Mac, I have 6 computers, two desktops and 4 laptops, so I know what I'm talking about.

Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BrollicWraith View Post
    basically this

Don't be so hung up on the looks of the OS, what makes OSX the better choice (imho) are UI features such as spaces, expose, searchable menus, more control to the user (srs, I've had windows say I don't have the correct admin privileges when I'm the only admin account on a computer; i've also had it do a maintenance restart w/o my permission), etc.

There's much more to a good interface than translucent menus and blur effects. Not looking for a flame war btw, but I don't think OP really cares what his computer looks like.
    lol the security feature of admin (not the same as only 1 log in) in windows is exactly like root privileges in Linux and others that use terminals etc. Only with a GUI. It is anything but a bad point. If you couldnt fix it, you aint a PC power user. You have to edit registry etc to make Admin show up in the login options.

OP buy Windows 7 and dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 or 11.04, both which are better than Mac OS X.
    - NOTICE: Not all posts represent my own opinion. I enjoy playing devil's advocate.

government is following nothing but a budget.
    Whetever is cheap, they implement. which is why many of the offices run dells.
    how do I know that?
    well, I ran my own consulting / It business when I was 20-22 (working on computers, note not screwing around with them, since 13..) I've done work for a lot of offices in my area. Every. single. One runs Dell / HP. DUE TO THE COST. I've seen the paperwork (but, of course, I wouldn't know that, i'm a "paper pusher", according to you).

Anyone who says that they are an "expert", make me laugh. 9 times out of 10, they are ok at what they are talkinga bout.. i've yet to see your work, so it isn't a jab in quality of your work, just pointing the fact i've learned over years.
    Most of the businesses (of many i've seen) that work with 3d imaging, design, formatting, design and animation are running apple server grade machinery.
    Yes, some are forced to work on PCs due to the nature of their business, and software not being compatible with Mac. More so, I know a few business that run their Win based programs on Mac (parallels), because they find Apple platform more reliable.

I definitely agree that a 17" MBP isn't exactly worth the $$. Yes, it is pricey, but any of the post 2005 MBPs are not running same hardware as acer, as you are pointing out. they do use some of the same circuitry, but everyone does. Main boards are built in different places( by the same company, though). i've been to Foxconn factory, responsible for apple builds.

And the fact how many computers you have to knowing of what you're talking about relation.. wow.. that's the most idiotic thing i've read today.