Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: labrum surgery

Registered User 2Rude4MyOwnGood's Avatar
    2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Alexten32 View Post
    Not sure if this topic is still going but I assume it is since labral tears are such a tough experience (at least my experience). This is long so I apologize. But there doesn't seem allot of posts out there regarding the actual recovery period and how it changes your lifestyle.
    A bit about me. 42 years old. In May of 2015 fell and braced my impact with my arm in a "chicken wing" position. Immediately there was pain from my shoulder that radiated to my neck, down my arm, with pain points mostly being in my elbow and wrist.
    I saw the doctor in June and he suspected a significant labral tear. Early July MRA showed a SLAP tear but doctor reviewed the MRI study and believed it to be a SLAP and reverse Bankart.
    Work Comp approved the surgery so in August I went in for surgery. Once the doctor got in there I had a 360 degree tear. So 9 anchors were placed along with taking 4mm off the AC joint hook as well as Mumford decompression. The rotator cuff and bicep tendon were good.
    First 3 days post surgery was the most unbearable pain I have ever been through. As compared to my two prior back surgeries the labrum repair was off the charts pain and the back surgery pain was nothing compared to this.
    After the first 3 days the pain was still intense but has progressively got better at a very slow rate. A month post op and pain is still pretty much at a 6/10 on my pain scale.
    PT started 2 weeks post op. I was told due to there being mild arthritis in the joint the approach for therapy will be more aggressive and accelerated to make sure I dont have my shoulder tighten up too much - lucky me. Surgeon told me he was worried the repair may have been "too tight" but he seemed okay with things. I'm still in the sling and will be for at least another 2.5 weeks. Therapist wants me out of the sling for longer periods to help keep the joint loose which is contrary to what I have been told or read.
    Therapy has been rough to say the least. Just finishing up at 3 weeks post op and my shoulder has been pushed to 180 degrees laying down overhead and 55 degree outward. From day one I could feel the tightness of the sutures and anchors pulling my shoulder downward. There is a definite difference in my shoulder heights. Best way I can describe it is it feels like a seam that wants to pop free.
    So it's almost been 4 weeks and unless my pants are super loose at the waist I still cannot button them. Everything is such a task from eating, driving, cooking, showering, getting dressed, and even going to the bathroom. Oversized loose fitting shirts and pants seem to be a must. As do loafer style shoes.
    Once I get to the end of this recovery my therapist told me I would more than likely not be able to go full range of motion on my flat bench press from my chest upward which is discouraging to say the least. Also seems my overhead dumbell tricep extensions will also be off limits. I keep hearing my shoulder will be better than before but sure doesn't seem like it, does it? Better, but here is your list of things you should no longer do lest you damage the repair.

At 4 weeks post op from such an extensive repair, it's very normal to still be experiencing pain and extremely limited use of your arm. It's likely going to take a really long time to see a significant improvement.

I had a similar injury/repair, and my recovery was hell as well. It wasn't until ~6 months that things started to look up for me. It was ~8 months until I had reasonably normal function of my shoulder, and probably another 6 months until I had full ROM.

With large repairs like this, it just takes time and a strong commitment to PT. Even then you may still have some limitations, which is to be expected.

Alexten32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the reply. As you know it is horrible. I thought it was odd that the therapist told me he wants me to use the sling minimally. He wants the shoulder to hang more freely. As you know when it moves too much it feels like the joint is on fire. Thanks again for the reply. I look forward to better days.

JRizzo73 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I’m 16 and in the process of getting BANKART surgery on both shoulders. I was working out 6 days a week, lifting fairly heavy for my age and with high intensity. Will I ever be able to achieve this again? Will I be able to continue progressing? Also I love outdoor activities like swimming, camping, etc. Does anyone who’s had this surgery before have any advice? If so, after the surgery, how much more likely are you to tear your labrum again?

Registered User 2Rude4MyOwnGood's Avatar
    2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2Rude4MyOwnGood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JRizzo73 View Post
    I’m 16 and in the process of getting BANKART surgery on both shoulders. I was working out 6 days a week, lifting fairly heavy for my age and with high intensity. Will I ever be able to achieve this again? Will I be able to continue progressing? Also I love outdoor activities like swimming, camping, etc. Does anyone who’s had this surgery before have any advice? If so, after the surgery, how much more likely are you to tear your labrum again?

The majority of people will be able to regain their pre injury strength and range of motion. The fact that you're so young bodes will for a full recovery, as older patients are at a substantially higher risk for complications or failed repairs. As long as you stick to your physical therapy protocol after your surgery and don't attempt to push yourself before you're ready, you should be completely fine. Seriously though, follow your PT protocol, it'll pay off in the end.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JRizzo73 View Post
    Read this thread https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...ghlight=labrum . It's a lot of hard, sometime painful work, but if you have a good surgeon, excellent PT, and take your PT seriously you should be able to lift more than you did before the surgery. As for lifting protocols be the squeaky wheel and ask plenty of questions. My son's surgeon is an NHL team doctor in addition to being the director of athletic medicine for a Big10 University. Once he knew that my son was interested in eventually playing college football he came back with some very good lifting information. It is doable, but you have to be dedicated to your recovery.