Closed Thread
Page 11 of 333 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast
    bobsaget11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PapaPumpkin View Post
    Define 'pain'. If you mean simply that your shoulders and biceps (more likely your triceps) are more worn out than your pecs from bench press than yes, that is normal. As long as your grip is wide enough. Means you got a lot of work to do! It was the same for me.
    yeah, ahha sorry. i probably shouldnt have used the word pain, eh? yeah, like after the workout.. i feel like i did bicep curls or something, but my pecs not one thing. i know that soreness doesnt equal muscle growth though..but i just felt it was odd i wasnt feeling it in my pecs.

Halstuch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bobsaget11 View Post
    yeah, ahha sorry. i probably shouldnt have used the word pain, eh? yeah, like after the workout.. i feel like i did bicep curls or something, but my pecs not one thing. i know that soreness doesnt equal muscle growth though..but i just felt it was odd i wasnt feeling it in my pecs.
    Same here..done with my first week.

olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10) olympicgs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One problem I see with this program, if you fail at say 11 reps, you then reset to 8 reps at the very same weight, and are stuck for 3-4 weeks doing less reps than what you are capable of - therefore not pushing your body, and basically wasting time.

lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
    Keep with it bobsaget, I'm in the same boat as you. I just did heavy day for my 2nd week of this program. Before starting this program I never had a clue what I was doing in the gym. My starting numbers are pretty pathetic as well but that doesn't mean I don't walk out of the gym feeling like a boss after completing my workout, and looking forward to my next workout.

Do the squats with a barbell, from everything I've been reading squats are pretty much the most important exercise you can do when it comes to body development. Look on youtube for instruction on how to do it properly. Trust me, it won't hurt your back/neck.
    you just gots some reps bro...
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #28 -!!!---!!!-
    *** ice cream and iron crew # 3 ***

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by olympicgs View Post
    One problem I see with this program, if you fail at say 11 reps, you then reset to 8 reps at the very same weight, and are stuck for 3-4 weeks doing less reps than what you are capable of - therefore not pushing your body, and basically wasting time.
    There is nothing wrong with this program for one. If you are beginner lifter you don't have enough knowledge to actually judge the value of this program for a beginner lifter. Not being harsh or mean just pointing out facts. Two, if you fail the first set at 11 you are obviously not strong enough to do 12. If you fail the second set on 11 you didn't have the muscle endurance to get 12 reps. Hence you reset, work it again and try to top the hurdle of that exercise in the next cycle. Increase the weight before you are ready will lead you to early failure. And thirdly, less is more in the iron marathon game. Example, at one point it took me 3 cycles to pass my bench press while I passed everything else those cycles. The compound lifts in this routine also help the beginning lifter gain symmetry in addition to just strength and hypertrophy.

As a beginner lifter that uses an accurate 10RM to start you will in all likely hood, not fail any exercise on your first cycle anyway. I know you just joined the forums but you will see that this program has been one of the most highly recommended starting programs by intermediate and advanced lifters and professional trainers on this site for many many years. The thread is in it's third Cycle and has well over 20,000 posts attesting to just how great a program this is for any beginner. And lastly if you don't like the program you are free to skip it and try something else like Starting Strength, Madcows, or any other program of your choosing. Best of luck with your fitness goals
    Weighed - 281 lbs on 1/1/2012

▪█───────█▪ 6 Weeks to Shred ▪█───────█▪

6-8: 230.4 | 6-15: xxx.x | 6-22: xxx.x | 6-29: xxx.x | | Month Total: x.x lbs
    7-6: xxx.x | 7-13: xxx.x | 7-20: xxx.x || Month Total: 0.0 lbs
    Final Total: xxx.x lbs

~NitrogenWidget's One Year in the Green Crew - Feb 2012-Feb 2013~ = 76 lbs lost

~Army Veteran Crew~

bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500) bladesama is not very helpful. (-500)
    went to the gym for the first time ever today..since the workouts in this routine ive never done before, i just went to try things out and look around.

i did SLDL. i put 20 pounds on each side i believe it was. so thats 85 i was lifting. i tried to have correct form. the hardest part to me, was when going back down... i wanted to slouch down to put the bar on the ground... i have to train myself not to do that. i did feel a workout, but it wasnt super intense.

i did squats. but i didnt use the bar. im just not comfortable yet to try it out. i want to get used to correct form on other exercises first before i put that much weight on my back and neck. i used this machine: youtube.com/watch?v=GuSX85x3HYA i had 20 pounds on each side. MY GOD, i can barely walk. this is so effing pathetic, its not even funny.

with bench pressing, i used the bar :[

i didnt do bent over rows, because i wanted to look up a few more videos on correct form before i tried it.

when i first did SLDL, i guess i done it wrong. bad form etc.. but every time i tried i came back home and watched to video on technique i posted to make sure i doing everything... now if feel right when im doing it... weight was a bit of an issue when i started, i dont know if it was because i was working out on a deficit or not.. but my forarms were killing me after 10 reps doin 100lbs including the bar.. i got used to it.. now i will do 165lbs and i feel it where im supposed to feel it

MattDap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattDap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry to repost the question but didn't get an answer- are the calf raises on the standing machines with shoulder pads for the weight?

Thanks!

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MattDap View Post
    Sorry to repost the question but didn't get an answer- are the calf raises on the standing machines with shoulder pads for the weight?

Thanks!
    Best way is barbell, squat style > than dumbbells > than seated > than the machine > than not doing them at all.

~Army Veteran Crew~

SMcVicker91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMcVicker91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMcVicker91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMcVicker91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SMcVicker91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is it normal to feel more pain in my shoulders or biceps when doing bench press instead of my pecs?
    YES. I just finished week 2 of my first cycle and i'm just now starting to feel my chest when i'm doing bench, and I did a lot of research on why i was only feeling arms/shoulders (my chest is virtually nonexistent).

What helps me feel my pecs is making sure my grip is slightly wider than shoulder length apart first of all. Then, as I go up, I concentrate on my hands as if I was trying to push them together without actually moving them (read that on this forum). Try not to put your focus on your arm muscles. It took me a while. Finally, it really helped to see a video of the chest being worked out really well. Watch scott herman's chest exercise video on youtube, especially the low cable flyes. You can visually see how the chest is getting work and if you imitate it just standing freely and putting your chest out and arms along the same motion path, you feel it. Barely, but you can feel it. And the stronger it gets the more you feel it (assuming).

Halstuch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would like do add some ab work. In the FAQ 15 reps for the first week are recommended. How many sets would be recommended?
    Crunches 2x15
    Hanging leg-raises 2x15 ?

MattDap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MattDap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Skullster View Post
    Best way is barbell, squat style > than dumbbells > than seated > than the machine > than not doing them at all.
    I've never seen any sort of platform at my gym that would be good for doing freestyle calf raises on- Would doing them off of plates be high enough?

Thanks!

lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lrd3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've never seen any sort of platform at my gym that would be good for doing freestyle calf raises on- Would doing them off of plates be high enough?

Thanks!
    plates work perfectly from what ive herd around this thread... (theres a lot of folks using plates for calf raise platforms)

TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cycle 2 test day today!!!

Thanks!
    Yes plates will work. Worst case, you can do them without anything but the plates will increase your range of motion. Also, calves are a tough nut to crack so some have increased the rep range from 8-12 to 12-16. Your call there. And some folks even work calves daily cause they are so tough to work.

Originally Posted by TRB05 View Post
    Go git er done!

~Army Veteran Crew~

ultra1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've got some wood for my calf raises, how high it should be?

robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000)
    Go get'em, dude!
    From unappealing to slightly less unappealing - A QUEST!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155671723

mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just lay one 2x4 flat on the floor and do my calf raises that way. I know you can buy a calf raise block but I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

Originally Posted by ultra1993 View Post
    --

Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145222391

FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're not utilizing your pecks, most likely. You have the pinch your shoulder blades together when laying on the bench, that stretches your chest more and involves it in the exercise. Over time you'll develop of mind-muscle connection, and you'll actually be able to tell yourself to use that muscle more. Weird voodoo stuff, I know.

ultra1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2x4? what size is that :$ I bet you're not talking about cm or meter haha.

jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Did all of this RAW. No preworkout completely fasted, no protein before:

Squats: 135x10 literally fell
    backwards on #11. Good thing I set up the safety bars.
    Bench press: 185x6 guy spotting me helped on 5th rep, even though I told him not to before the set started. Oh well I'll just say 6 because I did the 6th rep unassisted.
    Bent over rows: 135x8 did this underhanded and it was a lot heavier than over handed but I felt it a lot more in my lats. Think I did 12 reps but forgot to write it down.
    Military Press: 95x12 got scared, didn't use a smith machine or spotter. Gave up probably 2 reps too soon
    SLDL: 135x15 got scared. I always get tight hammys and this was way more weight than I thought I could do.
    Barbell curls: 70x10 good form very little body English. Next time I will stand up against a wall. Used EZ Curl bar.
    Calf raises: 185x12 on smith machine at 275lbs BW
    Last edited by jmitchell79; 08-26-2012 at 09:27 AM.

jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmitchell79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read that totally wrong! Lmao

TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TRB05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Passed everything except bench press, only got 10 on the 2nd set. Still happy.

Cycle 3 heavy weights for me:
    Squat: 170
    Bench: 125
    Row: 145
    MP: 65
    SLDL : 145
    Curl: 70
    Calf: 150 (rounding these up since I feel like I am completing them too easily)

Also, I am toying with the idea of testing 10RM for upright rows to replace curls during the medium and light workouts this week, and swapping them for cycle 3. Thoughts?

wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jmitchell79 View Post
    Did all of this RAW. No preworkout completely fasted, no protein before:

Squats: 135x10 literally fell
    backwards on #11. Good thing I set up the safety bars.
    Bench press: 185x6 guy spotting me helped on 5th rep, even though I told him not to before the set started. Oh well I'll just say 6 because I did the 6th rep unassisted.
    Bent over rows: 135x8 did this underhanded and it was a lot heavier than over handed but I felt it a lot more in my lats. Think I did 12 reps but forgot to write it down.
    Military Press: 95x12 got scared, didn't use a smith machine or spotter. Gave up probably 2 reps too soon
    SLDL: 135x15 got scared. I always get tight hammys and this was way more weight than I thought I could do.
    Barbell curls: 70x10 good form very little body English. Next time I will stand up against a wall. Used EZ Curl bar.
    Calf raises: 185x12 on smith machine at 275lbs BW
    Your testing your 10 rep maxes?

Also at least take some BCAA before and after workout after fasting, it will slow down the protein breakdown that occurs while fasting after 12 hours or so.
    This forum is great! Wish I found it years ago.....

robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Skullster View Post
    Hey robo how's that toe?

My golfers elbow was definitively caused by my bent wrists/grip in the squat taking some of the load. Safety squat bar has been used for the past week and the tendinitis is nearly gone! Glad I discovered it before I really f'd up my elbows. Whew feels like I dodged a bullet. Did have to adjust my squat weight though because the safety bar changes the center of gravity and basically creates a front squat. It's all good though and it really hits the quads and the upper back in a different way. First time I felt DOMS since cycle 1!!!

The toe is great. Still 4-5 weeks till I can put real weight on it. I started doing Kelei's workout, Which is a higher volume routine, for just my upper body, but I think I'm going to stick with it. I like it a lot.

I'm glad that safety squat is working for you. Tendinitis is no fun. I have front squats in this new routine, and I'm chomping' at the bit to try them.
    From unappealing to slightly less unappealing - A QUEST!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155671723

Also, I am toying with the idea of testing 10RM for upright rows to replace curls during the medium and light workouts this week, and swapping them for cycle 3. Thoughts?
    nice work bro!!!
    i swapped out curls for up right rows beginning of cycle 3 for me. (witch just ended today cycle 4 starts wed)
    i love the upright rows. there more compound than curls witch target biceps specifically. sence im on my 4th cycle now i may
    add the curls back in slowly.
    keep up the good work!!!!!

Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zplasch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Would this slight modification cause any problems?

Monday:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf raises
    3x8-12 Rear delt flyes

Wednesday:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    3x8-12 Dips

Friday:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Pull ups 2x10

Originally Posted by Zplasch View Post
    Would this slight modification cause any problems?

Monday:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf raises
    3x8-12 Rear delt flyes

Wednesday:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    3x8-12 Dips

Friday:

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Pull ups 2x10
    did you get a chance to read the very first post's here?

Congratulations! Don't sweat the BP. I failed twice before it went up. For me the third time was the charm. I am going into Cycle 6 placing upright rows in between SLDL and Calf Raises but I am going to keep the curls in as my last exercise. Also, because continued progress is so much more important than adding a flat 10% to every exercise I will be adjusting some exercises 10% and others 5% and simply repeating anything I fail. I hesitate to say this because I don't want to confuse any beginners. My caveat is that I am testing Cycle 5 tomorrow, I am over 50 and I have been eating at a deficit for 8 months. Feel free to do the same if you meet those 3 criteria otherwise stick to the program as written.

~Army Veteran Crew~

mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickeymonster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That is in inches and if you visit Home Depot and ask for a 2x4 they will know what you are talking about. However it will probably be 6 or 8 feet long. You should cut it to the desired length. 3 feet should be suffice....

2x4? what size is that :$ I bet you're not talking about cm or meter haha.
    --

Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145222391

Nightrida has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I will start with this Beginners program Cycle 1 tomorrow, Monday. Just wondered about two things:

First, my legs are skinny in proportion to rest of body. Will this program gain me more mass on legs? Will stiff legged dead lifts & Calf raises provide enough exercise to my legs, or should I add f.ex. laying hamstrings to this workout??

Second, on my rest days between the workout days I will do cardio + abs (on Tuesday & Thursday). I know that I should not adding more exercises on my workout days, but in "cardio-days" , can I do simple exercises such as Pullups & Dips (since I feel triceps might need extra, and dips are simple) or should I not do it, and just restrict to Cardio + abs??

Really looking forward to start til workout tomorrow Thanks to AllPro & all of you!

Closed Thread