Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

The King of the Queen Beaver Bitch is Dead.

I have pics, but there might be some here that don't want to see it.

The winds were brutal all last night at 30 to 40mph, blowing my cam and from 5:30pm to 8:00am, it was triggered 140 tines. Way too many.

Now, I have to observe to see if there are anymore of them. That makes 14 beaver, 3 river otter and 1 nutria within 13 months. It has been a long war.

I still have river otter and not sure how I can get them, yet. They are much harder to trap much less see than beaver.
    Last edited by Mark1T; 01-12-2024 at 07:15 AM.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

"Certified" Reel Nutz mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good job on the beaver Mark, that’s a ton of beaver for a year, they may be moving in from other waterways after being kicked out. Otters can be tough, I usually got them in beaver sets accidentally.

Most times when I targeted them I would find their sh!tter and set blind leg holds. They always return to their toilette so it was just a matter of time and those sets were very productive. I wouldn’t recommend it in an area where there are any domestic animals though. Otter Toilets put out a lot of scent from their meals that will pull in other animals. I have caught lynx, coyote, muskrats, mink, skunk, coons and even a wolf on Otter Toilet sets so I imagine a dog or cat would investigate them as well. Another set that I have used with great success is a sunken bucket set. A Milk Crate or 5 gallon bucket fish as bait wired to the bottom and sink it in 3-4 feet of water. It can be pretty deadly without incidental catches like land otter sets.

I am surrounded by lakes, many I have never fished and that was the case with the one I fished today. It’s less than an hour hike from my place that required a bit of bushwhacking but still not a difficult hike so I left at o dark early in hopes of reaching the lake at daybreak. The thing about Speckled (brook trout) can be hit or miss, mostly miss. They tend to hit for a short period of time. I have gone days without a hit so I like to stack the odds in my favor and start at first light. Mission accomplished this morning.

It wasn’t a serious fishing trip by any means, The Temperature was - 3 F, the wind was whipping out of the North putting the windchill values deep into the minus 30’s not a great day for sitting in the open fishing so I was doing this more for the hike than anything not expecting to find much ice if any. Shocker, there was 4-5 inches of good black ice with about 4 inches of slush where I was but not knowing the lake I didn’t roam all over. These are spring fed lakes and they can be dangerous and sometimes have open spots even with several feet of ice in most areas.

Cut a few holes, set up the JawJackers, went up in the bush, lit a fire and put the coffee on, relaxed and cooked some moose sausage, bacon and eggs. Got the first hit about a half hour after I got there and the Jaw Jacker did it’s think sinking a hook into a 2 lb brook trout and that set the tone for the next few hours with a fish hitting about every 10 to 15 minutes I released 8 fish total and aside from one 7 or 8 incher the rest were between 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. Respectable fish for sure.

I don’t know if I will get back there this winter, I like to keep these little treasures a secret, I went in this morning and it will be snowing enough today to cover my tracks. If I beat a trail in there this winter someone may see that and know something is up, but I will definitely be packing my packraft in next spring to do some fly fishing for those babies. The lake doesn’t get any pressure and with today's success I am confident there are some beastly brookies lurking in there and watching the surface is the best way to hunt those buggers down. Now it's time to sit back and enjoy the storm for a day or so.

Gabbar, maybe that cat may be visiting so much because the missus at his house is allergic to nuts too.

Have a great day peeps....
    𝓐𝓲𝓻 𝓕𝓸𝓻𝓬𝓮 𝓥𝓮𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓪𝓷 1976 - 1999 - 𝓒𝓪𝓷𝓷𝓪𝓫𝓲𝓼 𝓔𝓷𝓽𝓱𝓾𝓼𝓲𝓪𝓼𝓽 𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓬𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 1960'𝓼

ᖇᗴ丅Ꭵᖇᗴᗪ ᗩ丅 40 ᑕᖇᗴᗯ - ᔕᗝᑕᎥᗩᒪ ᗪᎥᔕ丅ᗩᑎᑕᎥᑎǤ ᗴ᙭ᑭᗴᖇ丅 - ᒪᎥᐯᎥᑎǤ 丅ᕼᗴ ᗪᖇᗴᗩᗰ

ƚo| ɒ ꙅɿɘʞʞuꟻ bᴎɒ ɿɘʞʞuꟻ ꙅᴎuoᴎoɿq ɿɘbᴎɘǫ ɘʜƚ ɘꙅu I

𝕀 𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕒𝕝𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕒𝕘𝕣𝕖𝕖 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕞𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕤 𝕀 𝕡𝕠𝕤𝕥

🄸 🅃🄴🄻🄻 🄸🅃 🄻🄸🄺🄴 🄸🅃 🄸🅂, 🄸🄵 🅈🄾🅄 🅆🄰🄽🅃 🅂🄼🄾🄺🄴 🄱🄻🄾🅆🄽 🅄🄿 🅈🄾🅄🅁 🄰🅂🅂 🄾🅁 🅂🄾🄼🄴🅃🄷🄸🄽🄶 🅂🅄🄶🄰🅁 🄲🄾🄰🅃🄴🄳. 🄸 🅂🅄🄶🄶🄴🅂🅃 🅈🄾🅄 🄶🄴🅃 🄰 🄷🄾🄾🄺🄴🅁 🄰🄽🄳 🄰 🄿🄾🅆🄳🄴🅁🄴🄳 🄳🄾🄽🅄🅃

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    MT, thanks. I kept my cam out there to now observe. Only when you have time, can you explain that 5-gallon bucket otter trap design more? Do you mean placing a coni-bear on the entrance?

My brother and I have used a drown basket, where we put live fish and throw it in about 3 to 4 feet of water and we caught 10 to 15 over the years. We wore it out. But, those things are expensive. Maybe your bucket design will work here. No problem catching the fish for it.

Those lakes are a dream of mine and the idea of going to a lake where most people never go to and then fish it, is the perfect scenario for me. I have done that once on some federally-owned land and it is so peaceful and beautiful. Nothing like it. And, cooking your catch on an open fire, is the best.
    Last edited by Mark1T; 01-12-2024 at 01:00 PM.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    MT, thanks. I kept my cam out there to now observe. Only when you have time, can you explain that 5-gallon bucket otter trap design more? Do you mean placing a coni-bear on the entrance?

My brother and I have used a drown basket, where we put live fish and throw it in about 3 to 4 feet of water and we caught 10 to 15 over the years. We wore it out. But, those things are expensive. Maybe your bucket design will work here. No problem catching the fish for it.

You guys have cleaned out quite a few otters out over the years as well... Good Job

I have never heard of the drown basket you mentioned.

This is how I do it and not necessarily the right way. I like to use 220’s because there is less work required to mount it in a 5 gallon bucket… Lay your 220 on the bucket mark where the springs lay and cut out a notch for them so the trap will sit in the center of the bucket. The 220 will leave a bit of room on either side of the jaws when set. To close these areas, I just drill a couple of holes and slide a couple of sticks through closing off those areas.

I drill a sh!tload of ½ inch holes in the bucket sides and bottom, I throw some rocks in the bottom to sink and hold it in place, wire some fresh fish about half way between the trap and the bottom of the bucket for bait, wire off the trap and bucket so you don’t lose either, set the trap and sink it so there's a foot or so of water over the bucket.

I have never placed them near the entrance but that would work. I like to put them near beaver houses but anywhere they are around should work. They will smell that fish from pretty far. If you know where their toilet is, that would be a great spot for sure.

330’s will work as well, same principle but it takes more cuts in the bucket to get the trap in place because of its size. A milk crate is a better option for 330’s. I used them all the time for 330’s on lynx, sets, the 330 will fit inside the crate and the only cuts needed are for the springs. Milk crates are very popular 330 sets

My old trapping Partner from years back never bothered with any of that, his sets were real simple and very effective. He set the 330’s the same as he would a beaver set, with guide poles and set them in a couple of feet of water putting the trap upside down so the trigger wires were straight up and skewer a small fresh fish right on the trigger.

It’s tough to explain and I hope I didn’t confuse you ha ha.. In case I did, here's a video I dug up that explains the principles.. This guy uses the square buckets, they are an even better option.

🄸 🅃🄴🄻🄻 🄸🅃 🄻🄸🄺🄴 🄸🅃 🄸🅂, 🄸🄵 🅈🄾🅄 🅆🄰🄽🅃 🅂🄼🄾🄺🄴 🄱🄻🄾🅆🄽 🅄🄿 🅈🄾🅄🅁 🄰🅂🅂 🄾🅁 🅂🄾🄼🄴🅃🄷🄸🄽🄶 🅂🅄🄶🄰🅁 🄲🄾🄰🅃🄴🄳. 🄸 🅂🅄🄶🄶🄴🅂🅃 🅈🄾🅄 🄶🄴🅃 🄰 🄷🄾🄾🄺🄴🅁 🄰🄽🄳 🄰 🄿🄾🅆🄳🄴🅁🄴🄳 🄳🄾🄽🅄🅃

MT, I know exactly what you are saying. I have two 220s and I have used them in a 5-gallon bucket. The way I did it was placing a 220 on each side with the notches as you described. I need to work on my design more and I'm thinking about drilling a couple holes in the middle and wire some hooks so that I can hook some fish as bait in the middle.

I trapped one huge otter with a 330 in a culvert last year, but that was lucky because it was for beaver, lol, but glad I got it.

BTW, I have a cam at the gate which is 300 yards from any water and I snapped a photo of an otter way out there. So, they migrate on land. It was weird because this lake is the only body of water of any size anywhere around here, except for a few 2-acre ponds.

I'm going to work on it and keep you posted.

BTW, the drown basket is a large link metal basket with one way in and no way out. You put a few live fish in it and sink it like you said, 3 to 4 feet deep. The lake management sells those traps for $350. I will make my own

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This thread is awesome. Love reading the adventures, my entire career savings plan is to make enough to buy remote land and do the same. I picked up a lake house a couple years ago to enjoy until then. Good fishing but not in the “wild”by any stretch.

MT I’m surprised you don’t eat some of those. Do you just not like fish?

Mark awesome on the beaver! I remember catching a nearly 70lb beaver in a set at the bottom of a long slide behind a wastewater plant. Things body was as big as the tailgate on my little Nissan truck and its tail was on the ground.

Hearing the trapping stories brings back memories. I’ve still got lots of traps and supplies but haven’t done it in a decade or so. I used lots of bucket sets over the years, mostly for coon. I’d get the buckets free from stores. Mine were frosting buckets but lots of square food grade buckets. I used to also use them pre-season as bait stations. Drill a couple holes big enough for coons to get their hands in and fill them with cheap dog or cat food, some marshmallows and liquid smoke. There would be new trails going to the set area by opening day. Then I’d make big elaborate sets and hammer them. Hiking or paddling up to lots of sets of eyes was a thrill. I’d use a combo of conibears, legholds and dog proofs.

I was limited to coon, mink, muskrat, beaver, coyote here.

The otter sounds interesting. I watched one catching and eating fish one morning from a duck blind. I’d imagine they can hurt a fish population in a lake. He looked good at his craft.
    Last edited by Plateauplower; 01-12-2024 at 05:30 PM.

Hey Plat, good to see you. Welcome to this thread. You need to get back into trapping. Two of the Rover Otter I got was from stalking them. I saw one on our pier eating a fish, got my 12 gauge and it was coming my way. Otter go under for about 25 to 30 feet, then they bring their torsos out of the water to look all around and when it seems safe, the go back down for another 25 to 30 feet. Every time it went down, I literally ran toward its path and then froze. Until it was right in front of me and bam.

Yes, River Otters can decimate the fish and freshwater population if you let them. Sure, they are cute, but not on a private lake.

I have never trapped for coons, because they don't bother anything here and they are so prevalent, there is no way to control them.

Like I was saying above, I need to perfect my bucket sets. Need to think about it.

Stick around.

BTW, the drown basket is a large link metal basket with one way in and no way out. You put a few live fish in it and sink it like you said, 3 to 4 feet deep. The lake management sells those traps for $350. I will make my own

Ahhhhhhh! Ok, they sound like they would be very effective and something I would fabricate as well rather than purchase. Pretty cool....

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    This thread is awesome. Love reading the adventures, my entire career savings plan is to make enough to buy remote land and do the same. I picked up a lake house a couple years ago to enjoy until then. Good fishing but not in the “wild”by any stretch.

MT I’m surprised you don’t eat some of those. Do you just not like fish?

Mark awesome on the beaver! I remember catching a nearly 70lb beaver in a set at the bottom of a long slide behind a wastewater plant. Things body was as big as the tailgate on my little Nissan truck and its tail was on the ground.

Hearing the trapping stories brings back memories. I’ve still got lots of traps and supplies but haven’t done it in a decade or so. I used lots of bucket sets over the years, mostly for coon. I’d get the buckets free from stores. Mine were frosting buckets but lots of square food grade buckets. I used to also use them pre-season as bait stations. Drill a couple holes big enough for coons to get their hands in and fill them with cheap dog or cat food, some marshmallows and liquid smoke. There would be new trails going to the set area by opening day. Then I’d make big elaborate sets and hammer them. Hiking or paddling up to lots of sets of eyes was a thrill. I’d use a combo of conibears, legholds and dog proofs.

I was limited to coon, mink, muskrat, beaver, coyote here.

The otter sounds interesting. I watched one catching and eating fish one morning from a duck blind. I’d imagine they can hurt a fish population in a lake. He looked good at his craft.
    Awesome Plat...I recall talking to you a few times about the outdoors, trapping and fishing a few times. Keep those stories coming, very enjoyable reading.

To answer your question. I do eat some fish, I eat my mistakes mostly the ones that are deep hooked or played out and can’t be released. I like fish but I am not big on it. I grew up next to the ocean and it provided most of our meals, Lobster, Mackerel, herring, salmon, Halibut, Cod, Turbot, trout, eels etc… We caught all that ourselves and processed enough for a year by salting, freezing or bottling and we ate a lot of fish whenever they were in season, we also sold some so it was pretty much a full time job from May till October, I tell people that I ate so much fish as a kid the seagulls would follow me to school. That’s not far from the truth lol.

I do enjoy a feed every now and again, but that isn’t very often.

Headed out in a bit to do some Splake fishing, a buddy of mine texted me last night and said that he’s got his ice shack out on a small nearby lake with some good ice but it has a lot of slush. So we are off to his shack for the morning.

Good day for a shack with a wood stove, it's about 3F, snow coming down sideways with a NE wind around 25 mph.

Have a great day peeps….

Keep a grin on those chops...

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Speaking of otters, I just watched a vid of extinct animals and there used to be an apex predator 440 lb otter. Probably ate some of our ancestors.

Enhydriodon omoensis
    https://prehistoric-fauna.com/Enhydriodon

Originally Posted by steffo99 View Post
    Speaking of otters, I just watched a vid of extinct animals and there used to be an apex predator 440 lb otter. Probably ate some of our ancestors.
    Holy Sh!t, that's a lot of Otter, Mark you're gonna need a bigger bucket...

Steffo, I have been following all your dog and other pics and they are nothing short of fantastic. Amazing work.. Keep that stuff coming..

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post

Steffo, I have been following all your dog and other pics and they are nothing short of fantastic. Amazing work.. Keep that stuff coming..
    Thanks, Pockets. Going back to the doggo exhibit tomorrow - had a 2-day ticket so went the first day and now the last one of 4. Will try to get some of them long jumping into a water pool, and a "snowhite" theatre show, lol.

Thanks, Pockets. Going back to the doggo exhibit tomorrow - had a 2-day ticket so went the first day and now the last one of 4. Will try to get some of them long jumping into a water pool, and a "snowhite" theatre show, lol.
    That's pretty cool Steffo.. Those long jumping shots would be amazing. You are getting a lot of practice with great results.. Win Win

Enhydriodon omoensis
    https://prehistoric-fauna.com/Enhydriodon
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post

They don't make buckets that big. My shotgun will e useless, especially if China releases the monster Otters on all of us, like it did teh Covid.

Calling The Mountain Man - I just bought some new gloves and they are too tight and they are not warm enough.

I should have asked this 2 weeks ago.

I need some warm gloves that fit my man-hands. What do you recommend??

I need some warm gloves that fit my man-hands. What do you recommend??

Mark, I am not a good one to ask about warm gloves....

I don't have any or have cold hand issues very much.. I just wear a pair of cotton or wool gloves most of the year, if it's too cold for them I wear my beaver mitts or wind proof non insulated mitts with cotton gloves underneath. I have never found winter gloves very useful they sweat and it's almost impossible to dry and then they get cold fast. It's pretty hard to beat a pair of good wool gloves.

Spent last night in the ice shack hoping to pick up a couple of walleye. Got to the hut about 8 pm and the fish finder was lit up, probably should have gone a little earlier. The first line didn’t even make it to the bottom before it took a hit, a nice little Walleye dancing around 3lbs. Released it and he must have told all his other buddies because the fish finder was pretty much a flat screen after that.

Close to 2 am, I was awaken by the rod alarm going off and the line was peeling off fast. Set the hook and the battle was on, I guess it probably peeled about 15 yards of line off at this point and it was a solid fish. I could get back almost all the line I lost but that fish wasn’t coming any further.

I had an outside line that was about 25 feet from the hut, so I figured whatever I had on was tangled in the other line or it was something on the other line that was tangled on the one I had inside, either way it was a tangle..

The temperate was -12 so the outside hole would have been pretty solid probably an inch or more of ice to chisel through and being alone, I couldn’t be in both places so I set the drag on the rod I had. Tied it off to the bed and went outside to chisel the hole and see if I could work some magic out there.

After chiselling the hole I got whatever it was close to the hole several times but never saw it and it would just peel line and run again then the line went slack. It was gone. I wasn’t disappointed, it was -12F with the windchill in the -30’s and after being out there in my skimpies for 10 minutes I was ready to go back to the wood stove.

When I picked up the rod on the inside it still had a fish on it which was puzzling. After a couple of runs I was able to get it in the hole and it was a Northern, not a giant by any means probably 8 or 9 lbs. I was bent over to do a hole release when I noticed it had the lure from my other hole in it’s yap as well as the one I was holding. I popped the free lure out and then popped the one I was holding and sent the fukker on it’s way.

The best that I could figure was it hit the line in the shack first then hit the second line (the outside one) and with the outside one being frozen in is why I couldn’t get the fish any closer to the hole inside.

I should have kept that first Walleye, my friend asked me for a feed and I didn’t get another Walleye until close to 8 am this morning and it took until noon to get enough for a meal for my friend's family. lol

For the TLDR Crew

Cliffs notes... I had a fun night on the ice and both me and a fish have an interesting story to tell..

Have a great night Peeps....
    Last edited by mtpockets; 01-14-2024 at 04:56 PM.

Another good day on the hard water, cold and windy though. We need the cold to make ice. No one has crossed the Lake behind my place on snow machine yet and I wont be the first ha ha..

We got a foot or better of snow the other day so that will slow down the ice making. Hopefully in a week or so it will be safe enough to pierce some lake trout lips.. Can't wait!

Anyone here use a Kelly Kettle? I have had one for years that I won in a fishing tournament and I almost always take it winter camping and ice fishing trips when I use the snow machine or ATV.

I don't take it on my backpacking trips because it's bulky, coming it at 23 oz or 690 grams. That's the stainless steel the aluminium is a tad bit lighter.

It's a damn good rig though..

Anyhow, here's a short video on it if anyone don't know what I am rambling about and gives a rats ass.

Have a great day Peeps!

MT, on the road. Great you are still catching fish even with no ice. The fish know next year might be a record ice.

Never used the Kelly Kettle, but looks very efficient.

MT, on the road. Great you are still catching fish even with no ice. The fish know next year might be a record ice.

Never used the Kelly Kettle, but looks very efficient.

Have a great safe Trip Mark!

I had my other trap (330) out after the last one and low and behold I got another massive beaver. I really did not expect that, but it is good news.

Getting to about 14F tonight. After tonight it is going to slightly warm to normal Winter temps.

I had my other trap (330) out after the last one and low and behold I got another massive beaver. I really did not expect that, but it is good news.

Getting to about 14F tonight. After tonight it is going to slightly warm to normal Winter temps.
    Well you got another one, well done... Mark The Beaver Slayer. That beaver didn't get that big over night you took an old time lumberjack out of the camp. They gotta be getting thin now.

Good to hear that your temperatures are going to get back to normal.

I spent the day fishing for Brook Trout. A friend of mine who was headed in on her snowmobile to fish a different lake saw the smoke from my fire, dropped by for a coffee and ended up spending the day fishing with me. I hadn’t seen her since last spring so it was awesome to catch up and have some laughs.

The fishing was very slow, I picked one up in the first hour and then nothing until mid afternoon when I had 4 hits in a row missing them all. ha ha.. I miss a lot of fish, I only use barbless hooks, it’s not the law in these parts but it makes for better releases, easier on the fish and shifts the odds in their favor. I think it should be a Law everywhere. lol

My friend picked up a beauty though, we didn’t weigh or measure it because it was so cold we had to get it back right away before it's eyes froze but I would put it North of 4 lbs. All in all it was a great day, good food, good company, good weed and a sh!t load of laughs..

Have a great even peeps...

MT, my kind of fishing. Not catching a fish or not many is just part of it. Still fun.

Nice to see you got to catch up with an old friend.

Brookies are so beautiful. I still have a fly reel I bought from selling coke bottles back to the grocery store as a kid. Never lost that dream.

Many probably know this but I will throw it up here in case it is of value to any of our cold weather camera users out there.

Cameras don't like the cold many people have told me, while this is true, what they really don't like is the condensation that forms on them when warmed up. It is formed almost instantly when it hits the indoors.

To prevent this, carry some zip lock baggies for your equipment and while your still outside bag your gear. The condensation will for on the baggie and not the gear when you enter a warmer environment.

It got to 13F here last night. The entire lake surface is iced over. Probably not very thick.

MT, I appreciate all your tips. I have my bag of cotton balls dipped in Vaseline, on the ready

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Vaseline, whoa , what?

Joke.

DC is freezing, i shoveled in 19F yesterday and it was 12F today at 7am with winds of 20mph.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

Ben, that is cold.

My cam picked up another beaver in another area. I'm going to set up two 330s side by side today and some cedar limbs for bait.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    MT based on the game, stories, and lingo I'm guessing you are somewhere in the Alaskan wilderness. I was recently looking at land there just out of curiosity and always having the sense of adventure in the last frontier in the US. Truth is, I probably wouldn't enjoy living there despite growing up in the country hunting, fishing, helping on farms etc., I am probably too soft to live hours from modern convenances now. I can't recall the area I was looking at; it's still pulled up on my ipad but the prices seemed steep for boat-in/fly-in access homestead sites. I guess there is the advantage that you don't need to own much land to enjoy a LOT of land up there in the middle of vast wilderness. Thoroughly enjoyed watching some of those shows about life in Alaska when they were popular, but it's been -10 / -35 windchill here the last 4 days and lol fuk that. Cold like that brings nothing but problems that I don't want to deal with in retirement. Probably opt for some acreage in the lower 48 near BLM or National Forrest land preferably w/in an hour or so of civilization (by car rather than boat, plane or snowmobile). Enjoy reading about your life out there and can tell you have spent a LOT of time in the bush. Glad you got onto the e-bike trend too. I think I mentioned those in a thread years ago when I first bought one. They are freaking awesome for getting around. I have a Himmiway cruiser that typically gets about 80 miles of range if I do my part. The nice thing is you can get a great workout peddling a 100lb e-bike but then have the option of letting the motor do some work on hills or when you start getting fatigued. I don't use mine as much I'd like but it is a great option. I also bought some e-scooters that are pretty neat for the price. I impulse bought four of those for us around $500/each and they are impressive for the price. I get about 20 miles at 18-20mph on a charge, but the type I have are meant for pavement. Bike is far more universal, especially with a little trailer.

So glad you got that a couple of the big beavers Mark. I caught a monster in a 330 on a slide back in the day. It was 76lbs IIRC and its body covered the entire tailgate of the little Mitsubishi truck I had at the time, with its tail hanging down and on the ground. I trapped primarily for money when pelts had more value, but it also ensured access to a lot of hunting land. Farmers hate coons as they ravage their feed stocks and do a lot of damage. Later when pelts were worth less and I wanted a more "targeted" approach to eliminating nuisance coons in barns etc., my dad and I would use an electronic caller around this time of year with raccoon fighting tracks. That was always a helluva thrill. They would come boiling out of the barns charging at the mojo critter and attack it. I preferred a regular .22 wand my dad would be on backup with the .17 Rem or .17 Predator (wildcat cartridge .17 caliber bullet in a necked down .223 casing). These options were fur friendly, so even when they were only worth $5 pelt for a big coon it would pay for fuel and expenses after an evening out. It is funny because sometimes they would jump out of the tree and run away from the caller like they were scared of the fight going on. Guess they do have different personalities but a majority of them would come charging in making a lot of angry sounds.

I tried replying to this the other day but after typing a long response the site crashed and pissed me off. This site sucks on ipad.

Thanks, Plat. 76lbs is probably a little bigger than my best of last year. It clocked in at 70lbs and couldn't imagine bigger ones, but I have heard of bigger from a taxidermist. It's cool that MT, you and I all know what a 330 or a 220 are, and also how to arm them and then how to set them.

In this lake it is rare to see a beaver slide, but I did find a beaver's trail from the water to land some feet. That is where I set two traps together today, as shown in the pic below.

To get real about the second to last Beaver I trapped is here below.

I am guessing about 65lbs.

This is my setup for today. Two 330s. I lightly spray paint my 330s dark flat green to make them blend in better with greenery.

Plat, I really like that e-bike brand. About 60 miles at 20 to 30mph is excellent. Good pricing. I also like that fat-tire bike of MT's.
    Last edited by Mark1T; 01-17-2024 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks, Plat. 76lbs is probably a little bigger than my best of last year. It clocked in at 70lbs and couldn't imagine bigger ones, but I have heard of bigger from a taxidermist. It's cool that MT, you and I all know what a 330 or a 220 are, and also how to arm them and then how to set them.

In this lake it is rare to see a beaver slide, but I did find a beaver's trail from the water to land some feet. That is where I set two traps together today, as shown in the pic below.

To get real about the second to last Beaver I trapped is here below.

I am guessing about 65lbs.

This is my setup for today. Two 330s. I lightly spray paint my 330s dark flat green to make them blend in better with greenery.

Plat, I really like that e-bike brand. About 60 miles at 20 to 30mph is excellent. Good pricing. I also like that fat-tire bike of MT's.
    Those are some big beavers. My monster was in a creek right outside of the towns wastewater plant so it was open water year round and had steep tall banks (hence the slides). I always used speed dip on all my traps diluted with white gas. I was always really careful with 330s, have been bitten by 220s twice and I imagine a 330 would cause some serious hurt. Do you use trap setters / tongs on those? Some HD springs to compress. My Himi is also a fat tire bike. They are all pretty much the same, a lot of universal China parts will work for repairs (I’ve replaced a cadence sensor due to a failure. The difference is in the batteries and himiway uses Samsung cells so I went with that. Aveton Aventure would have probably been slightly better due to storefront access for repairs, but luckily there are plenty of forums for e-bikes with all the info needed to do anything. Mine was an early model where the controller could easily be unlocked with a code that was leaked. Mine will go 32 mph on flat ground
    Feels too fast on something that light.

Good looking set, will be surprised if that doesn’t produce in the next few days if they are still moving around there. MB 650s would be good for blind sets if you can find any cheap.

The first beaver photo you see the aluminum rod at the top? It is two pieces that swivel like scissors and that is the tool I use to close the springs. I have not been bit by a conibear and hope I don't. Might break your arm. I always make sure the little safety latches are in place before I close the trap with my hands.

I used castor oil for one of my four beavers in a month. It actually worked for that young beaver, but it didn't seem to work on the bigger, smarter beavers. The cedar I use is effective for the big ones.

I never have used MB 650s. Might check them out and see if I can use them.

Well done Mark... I see another Beaver in your future soon.... Are ya warming up yet" lol

Plat I have a Samsung Battery in my E bike as well...

Trap setters are handy but I think I set more 330's with rope than Setters, I have lost a few pairs over the years but I always always had rope on me and never left the cabin without it. If you ever get nipped by a 330 a rope may be your only way out.

Anyways, just waiting for light here, soon the ice will be safe enough that I can head out in the dark, this sitting around waiting for light sucks. ha ha

We are making ice though and it's going to be a great morning on the ice. No wind for a change, that's a nice break from the windchill.

Yesterday was a day chasing Rainbows, released a few small fish, nothing over 2 lbs. Fun Though. Today is the first day of the season (18 days later) going for Lake Trout, If I don't think it's safe enough it will be off to another lake to fish shallower for splake. I know the ice is good there.

You fukkers have a great day...
    Last edited by mtpockets; 01-19-2024 at 04:16 AM.

MT, it did warm up today, but going back down for tonight and tomorrow night at about 24F. Next week will be mild,

I have seen the rope method for setting traps and I did it once and it works fine. I'm just used to this setter.

Great going on those rainbows.

One thing that bothers me about my two traps I have active. They are not in the water. But, they are in the Beaver path. Most, if not all the beaver I have trapped, the 330 is submerged about 3/4 under water. So, this is an experiment. Like my others, this set might take a couple of days for the beaver to come back to it. If after some days there is no action, I might put them both back where I trapped the last three.