porchdoor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow The "Rocky" body VS "Rambo" body

Hey guys, I'm a new user and am very enthusiastic about weight-training. I would consider myself an intermediate.

So I recently watched both First Blood and Rocky. Stallone had a very good body in both movies, but they were different in each film. As John Rambo, he was very fit and cut with a thin waistline. As Rocky Balboa, he was bulky and had a thick trunk. Personally, I would prefer the Rocky body. If you were to see both just wearing a regular tee, the Rocky body would look more impressive through the shirt.

What's the difference in developing these two bodies? Or rather, how would you go about gearing yourself towards the Rocky body? The Rambo body obviously has very low body fat. This leads me to believe that to achieve the Rocky body, I would still need to pack on a good amount of fat to fill out my body? Or is it that the Rocky body actually packs on bigger and more developed muscles?

porchdoor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    After doing a little more research, I think it's established that Stallone kept a very low body fat as both Rocky and Rambo.

With the logic that I have, does this mean that Rocky is just more massive than Rambo? Does Rocky simply have larger muscles than Rambo to fill out his body better. Also with this logic, does this mean that if one were to continually train for years and years, would he first have a body like Rambo and then the body of Rocky?

Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rambo had around at a guesstimate 7-8% bodyfat, whereas I would say rocky was around 13/14% - (still low compared to the average of around 17/18). It probably has more to do with the respective roles more than anything. Rocky was seen as an everyman character - more like an average fit guy as opposed to some wirey badass like rambo

Personally I prefer rocky as well, rambo looked too skinny imo and I dunno if it helps but I think rocky was around 5'11 190.

(Sorry for the stallone love here, but i'm a fan of these movies )

Honestly though both bodies don't require any special workout, get strong and build some muscle - if you are a beginner stick to the basic compounds like Squats, deadlifts and presses (I'm biased and recommend starting strength to everyone) and if you wanna be very lean then diet down accordingly after building up a solid base, but this is everything to do with diet - not workouts

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    he was bloated in rocky 1 coz he was on heavy doses of cortisone. they filmed all the fight scenes first & he tore a shoulder muscle on a cold morning throwing a punch. the rest of the film he was doped up on cortisone & bloated bad. u could even see it in his face.

rocky 2 build was similar to rambo 1.
    for rambo 2 he did have more muscle but was wayy more ripped similar to rocky 4 which makes sense since they were close together.

^ LOL at stallone being 5'11. he wasnt a hair over 5'6 but for some reason the young guys of today dont know this. ive heard this a few times recently.
    Last edited by gomez26; 06-10-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100) goldenglovez is not very well liked. (-100)
    Rambo FTW -

Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gomez26 View Post

^ LOL at stallone being 5'11. he wasnt a hair over 5'6 but for some reason the young guys of today dont know this. ive heard this a few times recently.
    Oh yea stallone is a midget . But the character of rocky is stated as 5'11

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LOL, that's WAY too funny, 5'6" Hahahahaha. I've seen pictures of him wearing really tall looking shoes, now I understand why. Why don't they just get big people to play big people in movies?
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    LOL, that's WAY too funny, 5'6" Hahahahaha. I've seen pictures of him wearing really tall looking shoes, now I understand why. Why don't they just get big people to play big people in movies?
    He wrote the Rocky story & insisted to play it. He was dead broke at the time he wrote the first one almost homeless (he was homeless on a couple of occasions b4 that). Producers tried to buy the script from him for good money & cast who they want but it was his creation & he wanted to play it no matter what. Just as well, he was perfect for it & dude became a legend from it, but he did consider selling out coz he was desperate but hung on & played the gamble. The height doesnt really matter, they can shoot the movie without making it obvious, but the story is about a heayweight obviously so it so they had to make some adjustments.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    He wrote the Rocky story & insisted to play it. He was dead broke at the time he wrote the first one almost homeless (he was homeless on a couple of occasions b4 that). Producers tried to buy the script from him for good money & cast who they want but it was his creation & he wanted to play it no matter what. Just as well, he was perfect for it & dude became a legend from it, but he did consider selling out coz he was desperate but hung on & played the gamble. The height doesnt really matter, they can shoot the movie without making it obvious, but the story is about a heayweight obviously so it so they had to make some adjustments.
    Agreed. And they did a great job masking his height. I guarantee the casual fan wouldn't know that he's shorter than 5'8

To the OP though, if you're looking at the body types of First Blood vs. Rocky 1, I'd go First Blood. Like others were saying, in Rocky 1 he was noticeably more bloated.

Personally I'd go with either First Blood or Rocky 2 physiques as goals.

The later movies are going to be unattainable for 97% of people unless they're on something. Still awesome to watch though.
    May 2004 - 225 lbs.
    May 2010 - 145 lbs.

Live and breathe Mizzou and St. Louis sports!

Completed logs/reviews on: Controlled Labs White Pump, White Flood Reborn, PROnom23, White Flood, & Sample Pack, MuscleTech Phase 8, Anabolic Halo, Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite & Amino Build, Gaspari Nutrition GlycoFuse & AminoLast, Scivation Xtend & Novem

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Stallone isn't 5'6, he's about 5'9, 5'10. The same height as De Niro. People just seem to like to fantasize that movie stars are really short. Tom Cruise is another one - he's about 5'8, 5'9 or so yet people wanna convince themselves he's only 5'4 and all his movies are shot with him on a special platform. It's fairly bizarre.

But OP - it's purely down to bodyfat. He has very low bodyfat in Rambo and moderate bodyfat in Rocky I. I always just thought it was a realism thing since you don't see heavyweight boxers under 10% it offers them no advantage. The sequels became more about his image than the character
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Hut*Hut View Post
    Stallone isn't 5'6, he's about 5'9, 5'10. The same height as De Niro. People just seem to like to fantasize that movie stars are really short. Tom Cruise is another one - he's about 5'8, 5'9 or so yet people wanna convince themselves he's only 5'4 and all his movies are shot with him on a special platform. It's fairly bizarre.

But OP - it's purely down to bodyfat. He has very low bodyfat in Rambo and moderate bodyfat in Rocky I. I always just thought it was a realism thing since you don't see heavyweight boxers under 10% it offers them no advantage. The sequels became more about his image than the character
    Eh, my bad. Just checked IMDB and he's listed as 5'9 1/2".
    May 2004 - 225 lbs.
    May 2010 - 145 lbs.

Live and breathe Mizzou and St. Louis sports!

Completed logs/reviews on: Controlled Labs White Pump, White Flood Reborn, PROnom23, White Flood, & Sample Pack, MuscleTech Phase 8, Anabolic Halo, Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite & Amino Build, Gaspari Nutrition GlycoFuse & AminoLast, Scivation Xtend & Novem

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Stallone is 5'9 1/2"
    Cruise is 5'7"
    Michael J. Fox is 5'4 1/2"
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What about the body of Ray Tango? I mean, he takes criminal masterminds off the street, you've gotta be in good shape to storm fortified compounds like he does. Bet he does compound lifts, probably 5 x 5. Did you see him stop that ventilation fan? Takes a ton of functional strength.
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mrbaker3 View Post
    Eh, my bad. Just checked IMDB and he's listed as 5'9 1/2".
    Yeah, seems about right. He did Cop Land with De Niro and he was about the same height or very slightly shorter. 5'9 Id say. It's just because he was known in the 80s as a larger than life action star that people made a joke about it I think.

Arnie got the same ****....people always claiming he was only 5'9 and stuff. It's just a weird phenomenon.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Drekkor View Post
    What about the body of Ray Tango? I mean, he takes criminal masterminds off the street, you've gotta be in good shape to storm fortified compounds like he does. Bet he does compound lifts, probably 5 x 5. Did you see him stop that ventilation fan? Takes a ton of functional strength.
    Gabriel Cash had functional strength as well. Probably did CrossFit.
    Originally Posted by Hut*Hut View Post
    Yeah, seems about right. He did Cop Land with De Niro and he was about the same height or very slightly shorter. 5'9 Id say.
    Official bio says 5'9.5"
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pensfan1570 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hes much bigger in the rockies, def the look i would rather go for

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I pulled up some pictures of the various movies on google. He has more fat and holding more water in the Rocky movies than the Rambo movies. Same body... different amounts of fat. Then again it makes sense for a boxer to want a little more body fat as they get hit a lot. Being 6% body fat does not give one's organs as much cushioning for repeated punches and other abuse.

The Italian Stallion bloodmuscle's Avatar
    bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bloodmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pensfan1570 View Post
    hes much bigger in the rockies, def the look i would rather go for
    Stallone looks so skinny in Rocky III.
    Attached Images

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Drekkor View Post
    Repped for cracking me up...again.

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Stallone Training Supplement

FYI, check store for price/details:

Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    this is the secret lol

just kidding obviously, but i believe the difference in physiques to be all about BF percentages, rambo you could tell he did a ton of cutting and cardio to get that thin muscular look, while for rocky he was more bulky, probably about 12-13% instead of like 7-8%.
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Mets

RIP Zyzz- "forever mirin"