smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

What's up with Figure girls and Smith Squats?

Alright, so I'm a big advocate for barbell full squats. I've heard and read time and time again that Smith Machine Squats are terrible and a lot less powerful than regular barbell squats. However, after watching a couple youtube videos of IFBB Bikini/Figure pros I've seen these ladies use Smith Machine squats. Also, Nicole Wilkins was just featured in a demo video by Fitness RX for women's website demonstrating Smith squats. My question is why do they use them? Personally, I think their physiques are freakin' awesome, but is there something special about Smith squats? Do they use it because they can go heavier without a spotter? Is there a certain body part it hits more? Honestly, I'm just curious to this methodology.

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Typically to focus on targeting the quad sweep (vastus lateralis). Much easier to place the feet in position to make the Smith Squat perform more like a Hack Squat and focus on quads.
    Journal- One of the Ogres
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139651333

aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by smackinder View Post
    Alright, so I'm a big advocate for barbell full squats. I've heard and read time and time again that Smith Machine Squats are terrible and a lot less powerful than regular barbell squats. However, after watching a couple youtube videos of IFBB Bikini/Figure pros I've seen these ladies use Smith Machine squats. Also, Nicole Wilkins was just featured in a demo video by Fitness RX for women's website demonstrating Smith squats. My question is why do they use them? Personally, I think their physiques are freakin' awesome, but is there something special about Smith squats? Do they use it because they can go heavier without a spotter? Is there a certain body part it hits more? Honestly, I'm just curious to this methodology.
    Figure girls do not generally train for strength and power, they train for aesthetics. Your muscles don't really care how you're squatting, with or without a machine, as long as they're moving.

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    I can't remember the last time I did a regular bb squat. I prefer doing front, overhead and zercher squats instead.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Big_Sky_Guy View Post
    Typically to focus on targeting the quad sweep (vastus lateralis). Much easier to place the feet in position to make the Smith Squat perform more like a Hack Squat and focus on quads.
    This is actually pretty interesting because my gym doesnt have a hack squat. I do squat in the PR though, how does one place their feet in the SM in order to be performing a hack squat?

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ozziefitchick View Post
    This is actually pretty interesting because my gym doesnt have a hack squat. I do squat in the PR though, how does one place their feet in the SM in order to be performing a hack squat?
    You could do bb hack squats or front squats (crossed arms or clean grip) in the PR. They're both excellent quad builders.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...HackSquat.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...rontSquat.html

Smith squats

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/SMSquat.html
    Last edited by kimm4; 08-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ozziefitchick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks Kimm, been meaning to re-attempt front squats, will throw in some bb hacks aswell.
    Wednesday = quad anihilation!

smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wow! Thanks for the responses everyone. So then my next question from here is what the difference is between lifting or aesthetics and lifting for strength? I thought there was just "strength" lifting and hypertrophy type lifting. Reason why I'm asking is because I've been lifting for over a year now and I don't really want to get much bigger I just want to Improve my physique. I admire the bodies of ifbb figure pros and bikini pros. I just can't figure out what they're "secret" is regarding training!

Ditched the hooker heels! elainedeluca's Avatar
    elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50) elainedeluca will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow! Thanks for the responses everyone. So then my next question from here is what the difference is between lifting or aesthetics and lifting for strength? I thought there was just "strength" lifting and hypertrophy type lifting. Reason why I'm asking is because I've been lifting for over a year now and I don't really want to get much bigger I just want to Improve my physique. I admire the bodies of ifbb figure pros and bikini pros. I just can't figure out what they're "secret" is regarding training!
    It has to do with the rep range and the amount of weight. And there is no secret, it's just solid dieting though I would argue that figure gals do train heavier than you think. I do women's physique, so I always going as heavy as I can, but when I did train for figure, I did a mix of heavy sets and high rep sets.

As for smith machine squatting, I'm not a big fan, though smith machine front squats with a narrow stance do a really good job of targeting the outer sweep. Sometimes, on a leg day, if I'm just too effin tired to hit traditional front squats after doing back squats, I'll hit them on the smith.
    ********: http://www.********.com/Chickthatlifts
    ******** Fan Page: http://www.********.com/ChickThatLiftsElaineDeLuca
    Twitter: @chickthatlifts
    Blog: http://www.chickthatlifts.com

Top Secret Nutrition Sponsored Athlete

Dedication + motivation = annihilation
    Live, love, lift

jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't really want to get much bigger I just want to Improve my physique.
    So you mean that you've built enough of a base now, but want to either improve your symmetry and/or get more lean?
    I squat in the curl rack

Originally Posted by jvfranklin View Post
    So you mean that you've built enough of a base now, but want to either improve your symmetry and/or get more lean?
    Exactly! More definition with the quads, glute/ham tie in, "shapelier" shoulders. I could also benefit from more definition in the lats as well. I was just wondering if maybe the reason why I'm lacking this definition (the muscle is definitely there at 13% bf) is because I'm not doing enough isolation/definition type training. My focus as far as squats/deads is go as heavy as possible with good form. Should I be focusing in on higher reps with thse exercises for definition or keep it in 8-12 range? I usually don't go higher than 10.

jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50) jvfranklin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You don't have any pics posted, so it'll be hard for anyone here to give you any specific advice, but if you need to bring up specific body parts, you'll need to do more isolation exercises for them. More muscle definition simply means reducing your bodyfat percentage. But if you're already at that level of training, there are people much more qualified than I to give you guidance, as you can see by my avi I'm still trying to get to where I look like I work out.
    I squat in the curl rack

Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Boomer29 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've also seen them and tried smith squats narrow stance with legs way out in front. Without the stability of the smith apparatus, you simply could not do them. I take that back unless you used a box and basically fell on you butt each rep. ouch.
    Squat 275 Bench 175 Deadlift 285 Snatch 140 Clean & Jerk 185

Ongoing Journal... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145852813

"Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat the luckier you get." Ray Kroc