Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Java Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't build mid back between shoulder blades

can someone give me any tips on building my mid back? specifically my rhomboids/traps? I do many back exercises ranging from pull downs, pull ups, seated and standing rows, but this is the one area that I can't build. Its starting to look odd now because the areas behind my shoulder blades keep getting bigger, but it looks like I have a huge gap in between.

What can I do?

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)
    shrugs? deads? sounds like u are missing them wide grip pull ups are great for rhoms too.
    The body is lazy, unless you give it a reason to grow it won't

Tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf*cker in the valley

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds - Henry Rollins

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

Bringing back farmer tans Scott_32's Avatar
    Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    X2 on deads and shrugs.
    -Your anger is a gift-

flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heavy shrugs, squeezing like crazy at the top.

Hammerstrength shrugs are tops!

Java Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the replies guys. deadlifts is something that I can't do right now, since I injured my back a while ago

and how would shrugs work the midback? I thought they were only benefifial at developing the upper traps. I used to do shrugs all the time and my upper traps got well developed so I stopped doing them. I also didn't notice any midback development, so was I doing them incorrectly?

flangmasterj, what are hammerstrength shrugs?

Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try face pulls and make sure you squeeze and hold for a sec. People usually do them for rear delts but they also work your upper back and shoulder blade area. Same with reverse flys.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    can someone give me any tips on building my mid back? specifically my rhomboids/traps? I do many back exercises ranging from pull downs, pull ups, seated and standing rows, but this is the one area that I can't build. Its starting to look odd now because the areas behind my shoulder blades keep getting bigger, but it looks like I have a huge gap in between.

What can I do?
    Behind neck pulldowns using a medium, parallel grip.

Works like a charm.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I wonder what reverse flies would do.

jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

What can I do?
    Bent over rows with a narrower grip.....

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Incline shrugs would help as well.

Though you might want to re-assess your rowing form...

In any pulldown/up or row, focus on pulling your elbows back, and squeeze shoulder blades together at the top.
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details

Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jmusclehead View Post
    Bent over rows with a narrower grip.....
    Why would that help?

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Deads for mid back thickness? Bubublicious advice.

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I really like do low cable rows with an overhand grip and hands spaced about the same distance as when doing bb bench press. Pull the bar towards your lower chest/sternum - essentially towards your xiphoid process (that pointy bone at the bottom of your sternum) and make sure to squeeze your shoulder blades together. Supported t-bar rows (with a similar grip) are also very good.

Just keep in mind, the function of those muscles is to retract the shoulder blades, so any exercise that does so will work.
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Turco has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post
    Just keep in mind, the function of those muscles is to retract the shoulder blades, so any exercise that does so will work.
    x2 Exactly.

Anytime you want to develop a muscle, find an exercise that makes that muscle contract...that's pretty much it.

jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmusclehead is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Flying_Fox View Post
    Why would that help?
    LiftRite episode #9 with pro BB Toney Freeman. He demonstrates the close grip, underhand grip bent over row. He says it's a bit awkward because of the narrow grip, but, recommends it for hitting the middle back area.
    Last edited by jmusclehead; 10-05-2007 at 10:38 AM.

swarjo01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swarjo01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swarjo01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swarjo01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by genepool View Post
    shrugs? deads? sounds like u are missing them wide grip pull ups are great for rhoms too.
    Everything this guy said. Also do seated cable rows. There's also an exercise called overhead lat raise. It is meant to work the delts through a different range of motion, but it also works the traps.
    Joe, #72

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Seated Cable rows with an overhand grip.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dr Clay

Sorry, just noticed that you posted the same advice. My bad!

JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10) JAYOPTICK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    deads, lat shrugs, shrugs

scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scorp508 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Reverse pec deck for the rhomboids.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Deadlifts smash this area.

The upper back is maintained in a flat position (scapula retracted/depressed).
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Power snatch
    I don't know either lol

TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000)
    To build mid back simply do bicep curl followed by medial bench press squat
    beepbeepimaJew

1k+

phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) phat_endo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    Deads for mid back thickness? Bubublicious advice.
    DD didn't grow a thicker mid back from deadlifting, therefore deadlifting doesn't help with mid back thickness?

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)
    thanks for the replies guys. deadlifts is something that I can't do right now, since I injured my back a while ago

and how would shrugs work the midback? I thought they were only benefifial at developing the upper traps. I used to do shrugs all the time and my upper traps got well developed so I stopped doing them. I also didn't notice any midback development, so was I doing them incorrectly?

flangmasterj, what are hammerstrength shrugs?
    Your traps run from your neck down to about the bottom of the shoulder blades. Shrugs work the entire trap. not the "upper" trap. Not exactly 100% what area of your back you are describing. but Pull ups, done properly and with weight are great for overall back development. Bent over rows are also excellent.

when you do pull ups you want to arch back slightly and end at the top of the motion with the bar almost to your chest, kinda like a half row. fantastic for back growth
    The body is lazy, unless you give it a reason to grow it won't

Tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf*cker in the valley

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds - Henry Rollins

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

Fecal McAngry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fecal McAngry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fecal McAngry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fecal McAngry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fecal McAngry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fecal McAngry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What can I do?
    T-Bar rows...

AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexD3891 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wide-Grip Seated Cable Rows With an Overhand or Neutral Grip.
    Bonecrshr #9

"Do or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

I will rep you back if you send me a pm with a link to a post in it (yes lazy).

Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doenitz79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How about a seated tug of war pull using a laden sled?

It looks like a seated cable row just that you pull the sled towards you.

I did it yesterday for the first time and god,my midback is sore today...
    My goal when I come in everyday is to make sure if somebody beats me,it is not because they outwork me. ~Layne Norton.

mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    BTB shrugs, incline shrugs, medium hammer grip cable rows, rack pulls/deads

qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) qb-killa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wide grip rows to your upper chest. This'll also hit the rear delts hard too.

You also might have scapular winging, in which case push-ups and standing military press might help.