lovetoskate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question total gym workout and running help please

I'm 27 6'2 233lbs. I've been able to get my diet in check with the help of a food tracker. Ive cut my calories to around 1900 a day. In the 1 or 1.5 months, I've been able to go from 240 to 233 easily. I could use some help with how to achieve my goal of 205, if that's realistic?

I decided to buy some running shoes and started running on the bike path. I was able to run 2 miles in 18 minutes. I wasn't able to run the entire distance without taking small short walks during, but I believe that time is pretty good for not running previously. However, a few days later, I tried to run and my shins were very painful, only ran a mile. I gave it another day break, but had the same prob. I haven't tried to go running for a week now, because I usually skateboard for 4 hours, 4 times a week. I would like to run again, but can someone advise me as to why my shins might be painful?

I've compiled a list of the workouts I do on the total gym xls and what i'm trying(hoping) to do with running.

MON - 4 sets of 12-16 rep seated curl, 4 set of 20 kneeling row, and run 2 miles.
    WED- run 2 miles
    TUE & THU- 4 sets of 12-16 reverse chest press, and 20 total pushups (on floor)
    FRI - run 2 miles, walk 1 mile
    SAT & SUN - off

If anyone can help with why my legs hurt please let me know, I think cardio is what I need to lose weight. I skateboard (doing tricks) for about 4 hours 3-4x a week. It doesn't seem to be helping me lose weight. Just makes my legs look beastly.
    Last edited by lovetoskate; 02-21-2012 at 01:56 AM.

hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) hackysackerr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    a lot of people in the army get what's called "shin splints" basically it's from running on hard surfaces and it's a bunch of tiny fractures in your shins. not fun. but it'll heal up in a few weeks

azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) azzerr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could have shin splits as the above poster said, just don't run for a few weeks and it will heal. It could also just be your shin and calf muscles growing. You get the same when you lift and its just a form of DOMS in a sense. When I haven't run for awhile my shins hurt like mad but after a few sessions they're okay again.

If you really want to do some cardio try going on the bike, cross trainer or rower while you rest your shins.