smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Mix up legs routine--what do you ladies do?

I've been doing a basic leg routine for a while in the 8-10 range. Recently, I've changed up my other routines for the other bodyparts.

Here's what I do for legs (1x weekly):
    Squats- 4 sets 8
    Lunges: 3x 10
    Hack squat machine: 4 x 8
    Leg extensions: 3x 10
    Hamstring curls machine: 3x 10
    Leg Press: 4 x 8
    Calve raises (standing): 3x 15-20
    Calve raises seated: 4x 15

Should I change out some exercises, or change reps to higher range? I have made good gains in 8-10 range, but again, I want to avoid a plateau.

Registered User sweetkissees918's Avatar
    sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but I do believe that our bodies adapt to the reps first and exercises last. So, changing up reps before switching exercises if probably a good idea.
    ▪█───────█▪

Bench Press: Current: 210lbs Goal: 225lbs
    Deadlift: Current: 442.5lbs (World Record) Goal: 500lbs
    Military Press: Current: 120lbs Goal: 135lbs
    Squat: Current: 372.5lbs Goal: 400lbs

~Working out and not eating right is like doing your homework and not turning it in.~

******** link to our training page: www.********.com/pages/Xtreme-Fitness/1478082779087471

NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000) NivVo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Seems pretty general... core compound lifts on legs: (will hit all of your legs) front squats, dead lifts, lunges, calf raises.

Iso's: all those machines.

Pretty sure everyone will post generally the same leg routine/exercises with just a different rep/set variation according to their goals (powerlifters who may want to increase weight; or maybe a fighter that wants to up their muscular endurance).

Yours looks solid enough, general cookie cutter template for leg routines.
    THE AWARE - South side influence.

**OFFICIAL POOHBEARX3 AVI CLUB***

9/3/2010: Mod negged to oblivion for posting nudes.
    1/6/2011: Into the green.

0341 - USMC
    Texas brahs, Military brahs, MinusP, 128, JohnnyChristian are repped on sight.

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There comes a point where more volume isn't more productive. Once a week training frequency is sub-optimal, try doing 2+ leg workouts a week and split up the volume and ditch the superfluous exercises. You don't need to do squats, lunges, hack squats and leg press.

Originally Posted by NivVo View Post
    Seems pretty general... core compound lifts on legs: (will hit all of your legs) front squats, dead lifts, lunges, calf raises.

Iso's: all those machines.

Pretty sure everyone will post generally the same leg routine/exercises with just a different rep/set variation according to their goals (powerlifters who may want to increase weight; or maybe a fighter that wants to up their muscular endurance).

Yours looks solid enough, general cookie cutter template for leg routines.
    It looks like complete crap...

Squats AND lunges AND hack squats AND leg press 1x a week, pointless.
    Last edited by MrB1g; 02-12-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Registered User sarasunnysideup's Avatar
    sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sarasunnysideup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    There comes a point where more volume isn't more productive. Once a week training frequency is sub-optimal, try doing 2+ leg workouts a week and split up the volume and ditch the superfluous exercises. You don't need to do squats, lunges, hack squats and leg press.

It looks like complete crap...

Squats AND lunges AND hack squats AND leg press 1x a week, pointless.
    what would you propose to change?

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    Once a week training frequency is sub-optimal, try doing 2+ leg workouts a week and split up the volume and ditch the superfluous exercises.
    Originally Posted by sarasunnysideup View Post
    what would you propose to change?
    That.

Squats/front squats 2-3x a week, lunges as an accessory if you want, equal hamstring work with GHR's/SLDL's or hamstring curls if you're feeling very lazy indeed and as much direct calf work as you want.

Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Walks90 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by smackinder View Post
    I've been doing a basic leg routine for a while in the 8-10 range. Recently, I've changed up my other routines for the other bodyparts.

Here's what I do for legs (1x weekly):
    Squats- 4 sets 8
    Lunges: 3x 10
    Hack squat machine: 4 x 8
    Leg extensions: 3x 10
    Hamstring curls machine: 3x 10
    Leg Press: 4 x 8
    Calve raises (standing): 3x 15-20
    Calve raises seated: 4x 15

Should I change out some exercises, or change reps to higher range? I have made good gains in 8-10 range, but again, I want to avoid a plateau.
    Wow, that is a LOT!

Have you tried pyramid training: 1 set of 12, 1 set of 10, 1 set of 8, 1 set of 6, drop set to failure. I find having the occasional high rep day (20+) also does the legs a lot of good.

I would take out hack squat, lunges, and hamstring curls personally.

Try something like: Squats,Leg Press, SLDL, GHR's, calve work <---In those alone you've hit your glutes, hammies, quads, and calves (you don't even need the GHR's but i like them)
    Bulking Calories: 2700cals

Deadlift: 220lbs
    Squat: 210lbs
    Bench: 135lbs

stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50) stackums will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Walks90 View Post
    Wow, that is a LOT!

Have you tried pyramid training: 1 set of 12, 1 set of 10, 1 set of 8, 1 set of 6, drop set to failure. I find having the occasional high rep day (20+) also does the legs a lot of good.

Try something like: Squats,Leg Press, SLDL, GHR's, calve work <---In those alone you've hit your glutes, hammies, quads, and calves (you don't even need the GHR's but i like them)
    ^^^^this box squats are a good squat choice, bec they make sure you are hitting parallel. If you did anything addition like lunges/curls..thats cool too. you dont have to incorporate them all in one day.

Maybe have 2 days per week. 1st day incorp "Lift" exersises (deads, SLD, GHR, Curls) 4 days later do a session centered around "Squat or push" (box squats, leg press, lunges, extentions) vary your rep scheme ranging from 3-4, 6-8, 10-12

There is no one right or wrong way, but its easiest to judge progress if you pick a few and stick with them for a few months...just switch up reps/sets/weight occasionally.

Or better yet..find a good solid program like GST (Growth Stimulous Training) where the guess work is removed. Good luck with your goals
    Stace ;)

Currently: slow bulk for the winter :)

My Program www.growthstimuloustraining.com (w/ Ryan, my awesome online trainer)

MY JOURNAL = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133696651&page=3

lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My PT designed this leg workout, it progressed in 3.5 months and he is about to change it again. Right now it looks like this:

1. Lunges (4 x 30) - I use 35 lbs plates in each hand and walk 15 steps front, stop, 15 steps back
    2. Leg Press (4 x 8-12 )
    3. Leg Extentions (4 x 8-12)
    4. Barbell Squat (4 x 8-12)
    5. Dumbell Squat (4 x 8-12)
    6. Calves (4 x 8-12)
    7. Hamstrings (4 x 8-12) - I use cable machine and leg curl machine
    8. Butt Bluster machine - I added this one myself

smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smackinder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

OK, so after a week, I am rethinking my routine with all ya'lls input . I am thinking about breaking the legs day up into two days. Currently, I do all my weight training in four days, with two days being cardio only days. I think I'm going to drop one of those and do a five day split.

Mon: Quads---- Squats, Hack Squats, Leg Press, Leg Extensions
    Tue: Chest/Bis
    Wed: Hams/Calves/Glutes--- GHR, Ham Curls, SLDLS, Calve Raises (standing), Calve Raises Seated, Butt blaster
    Thur: Active Rest (yoga, walk on treadmill 30 min)
    Fri: Back
    Sat: Shoulders/Tris
    Sun: Cardio/Active Rest

I want to break it up because I'm realizing that as I go up in weights in the squats, my rest times are getting longer. It's getting to the point where my legs day is about two hours, and the rest of my workouts are no longer than an hour and fifteen mins. I just want to keep it all down to an hour/hour and a half because it's more consistent and realistic. Is that enough space for the week in between for the muscle groups?