Thread: Milk?

FC Alex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Milk?

Simple question... which milk should I drink whole, 2%, 1%, fatfree, organic whole ($$$), or soy.

I've read that too much soy can act as a depresent on the thyriod so, I don't drink it. Lately I just take 2%, I suppose I could go organic.

BTW I'm starting to cut, also I only have 1 12 oz glass of milk pre bed meal with casein protein and some cottage cheese.

Thanks,
    FC ALEX

Not what I use to be..... StrongEnough?'s Avatar
    StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FC Alex
    Simple question... which milk should I drink whole, 2%, 1%, fatfree, organic whole ($$$), or soy.

I've read that too much soy can act as a depresent on the thyriod so, I don't drink it. Lately I just take 2%, I suppose I could go organic.

BTW I'm starting to cut, also I only have 1 12 oz glass of milk pre bed meal with casein protein and some cottage cheese.

Thanks,
    FC ALEX
    Skim (fat free)

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by StrongEnough?
    Skim (fat free)
    Yes. If you were bulking 1 or 2 % would be better.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Bastard Coated Bastard zengland's Avatar
    zengland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zengland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zengland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zengland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zengland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zengland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I grew up drinking whole milk, so skim tastes too watered down for me. So I compromise and drink 1%.

TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) TanTheMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by zengland
    I grew up drinking whole milk, so skim tastes too watered down for me. So I compromise and drink 1%.
    As did I, but now i cant stand the taste of regular milk, tastes too sweet. Kinda like soda.

kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    skim milk has everything that other milk has but doesnt have the fat or the calories. even though im bulking i drink skim milk because i would rather have my calories comming from better sources than dairy fat.

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

If you can afford it, go organic!

Go for organic, it has gone down in price over the past few years and has almost no reported incidents of hormones, antibiotics, and other "magic ingredients" that find their way into most commercially produced milk.
    Russell Wilson, the first QB in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

"So you got fired again eh?" "Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident."

Spiders are like offensive linemen, the best ones do their job and you never notice them.

An obvious example of New Math.
    "It was a 2% tax hike, dumbass. From 3% to 5%"-NRKF84

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kid.A
    skim milk has everything that other milk has but doesnt have the fat or the calories. even though im bulking i drink skim milk because i would rather have my calories comming from better sources than dairy fat.
    Yup
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

FC Alex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys, I guess I'll check the price of organic if not then I'll go fatfree.

BTW guys I do know that fatfree is also known as skim milk.

Again thank you for everything,
    FC Alex

US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm so sick of this lying bull**** that gets spread around about soymilk. Someone show me a credible source that it suppresses your ****ing thyroid.

RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only argument I've heard about soy protien is that it's not a complete protien and whey and casien are better for you.

j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by US_Ranger
    I'm so sick of this lying bull**** that gets spread around about soymilk. Someone show me a credible source that it suppresses your ****ing thyroid.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Biochem Pharmacol. 1997 Nov 15;54(10):1087-96. Related Articles, Links

Anti-thyroid isoflavones from soybean: isolation, characterization, and mechanisms of action.

Divi RL, Chang HC, Doerge DR.

National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA.

The soybean has been implicated in diet-induced goiter by many studies. The extensive consumption of soy products in infant formulas and in vegetarian diets makes it essential to define the goitrogenic potential. In this report, it was observed that an acidic methanolic extract of soybeans contains compounds that inhibit thyroid peroxidase- (TPO) catalyzed reactions essential to thyroid hormone synthesis. Analysis of the soybean extract using HPLC, UV-VIS spectrophotometry, and LC-MS led to identification of the isoflavones genistein and daidzein as major components by direct comparison with authentic standard reference isoflavones. HPLC fractionation and enzymatic assay of the soybean extract showed that the components responsible for inhibition of TPO-catalyzed reactions coeluted with daidzein and genistein. In the presence of iodide ion, genistein and daidzein blocked TPO-catalyzed tyrosine iodination by acting as alternate substrates, yielding mono-, di-, and triiodoisoflavones. Genistein also inhibited thyroxine synthesis using iodinated casein or human goiter thyroglobulin as substrates for the coupling reaction. Incubation of either isoflavone with TPO in the presence of H2O2 caused irreversible inactivation of the enzyme; however, the presence of iodide ion in the incubations completely abolished the inactivation. The IC50 values for inhibition of TPO-catalyzed reactions by genistein and daidzein were ca. 1-10 microM, concentrations that approach the total isoflavone levels (ca. 1 microM) previously measured in plasma from humans consuming soy products. Because inhibition of thyroid hormone synthesis can induce goiter and thyroid neoplasia in rodents, delineation of anti-thyroid mechanisms for soy isoflavones may be important for extrapolating goitrogenic hazards identified in chronic rodent bioassays to humans consuming soy products.

PMID: 9464451 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    how's that for starters?
    Last edited by j_neatherlin; 01-05-2006 at 06:34 AM.
    $157 billion creates 650,000 jobs = $240,000 cost to create or save 1 job

US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) US_Ranger has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well that's funny because bb.com had a huge article a couple months back busting the myth of the ****ty soy protein argument. I'll see if I can dig it up.

edit : Your article is from '97 too. Kinda old news.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink4.htm

Well, that's the article I read awhile back claiming soy was ok.

I also found a couple articles saying soy does indeed suck.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tietge7.htm

I guess the debate is still going strong on this one. My personal choice is to not drink any type of milk (dariy or soy)

The human body used to get rid of the milk digesting enzyme at around age 5 but as human beings have grown larger civilizations, dairy has become a staple for many. For a long time humans lived off of meat, veggies and fruit with a scattering of grain. Soybeans are somewhat new to humankind as well as dairy so I prefer to stay with what is most easily digestible and used by the human body. This is just my opinion.

j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) j_neatherlin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well that's funny because bb.com had a huge article a couple months back busting the myth of the ****ty soy protein argument. I'll see if I can dig it up.

edit : Your article is from '97 too. Kinda old news.
    my article is from a credible source. bb.com articles are not credible sources. if referrences are posted for those articles, then search those referrences for credible sources.

i also avoid both soy and dairy milk. at times i will drink one or the other, or almond or rice milk...but none of those on a regular basis.

edit: i will give you that Will Brink is a reputable guy, but I would still rather read the studies/articles/whatever myself to see what they actually say.

Originally Posted by j_neatherlin
    my article is from a credible source. bb.com articles are not credible sources. if referrences are posted for those articles, then search those referrences for credible sources.

i also avoid both soy and dairy milk. at times i will drink one or the other, or almond or rice milk...but none of those on a regular basis.

edit: i will give you that Will Brink is a reputable guy, but I would still rather read the studies/articles/whatever myself to see what they actually say.
    I agree with you. It's better to read the actual article. Thanks for posting up the info as I now have something to do in Iraq (study effects of soy) instead of watching Minority Report for the 50th time.

How's Almond milk by the way, I've never had it but I looooove almond butter.

I agree with you. It's better to read the actual article. Thanks for posting up the info as I now have something to do in Iraq (study effects of soy) instead of watching Minority Report for the 50th time.

How's Almond milk by the way, I've never had it but I looooove almond butter.
    it's okay...i don't have it often, so i honestly couldn't describe it.