Thread: pull-ups

futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

pull-ups

ok guys i need your help......i have gone from basiclly no upper body strength to being able to do about 40 push-ups a min and 6 unassisted pull ups in a row. i really want to make it to 10 (i would love 15) but its almost like my triceps dont want any part of this.....any advice???
    tap out or pass out!

ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000) ChickenTuna is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by futuremd View Post
    ok guys i need your help......i have gone from basiclly no upper body strength to being able to do about 40 push-ups a min and 6 unassisted pull ups in a row. i really want to make it to 10 (i would love 15) but its almost like my triceps dont want any part of this.....any advice???
    great work!
    keep trying and don't give up

1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Im going through the same thing with the pull ups. I was thinking about doing weighted pull ups once a week,maybe only two sets to start out,but im not sure thats the way to go.

futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) futuremd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i didnt even think about doing weighted ones.....good call ;0)
    tap out or pass out!

ferrin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Good going girl!

Just keep working your triceps and you'll be up to 10 in no time!

kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Try doing ladders for all your pullup/chin work.

Example for someone with a 6rm:
    Do 1 pullup, rest 5-10 sec, do 2 pullups, rest 15-20 seconds, do 3 pullups, rest 20-25 seconds, do 4 pullups rest 30 seconds. Start back with 1 rep and go back up the ladder. One time up the ladder in this case is 10 reps. So if you do 2 ladders you have completed 20 pullups, which is more than you could probably do otherwise.

These are really fun if you have a partner. The only time you rest is while your partner is on the bar doing a pullup, as soon as they get off the bar you get on it and do your reps. The cycle repeats while you add 1 rep each time. If you do not have a partner just imagine how long it would take for them to do the desired number of reps (I was trying to guess how long it would take someone to complete a set with the times I listed above). Stay away from failure on the first few times up the ladder as you do not want to kill yourself so your next set stinks. You may find it easier to do 3 ladders up to 3 reps each time (18 reps) vs 2 ladders up to 4 (20 reps).

I preach pullups to everyone, especially girls...just ask my sister- Ashlae. Maybe she will chime in.

kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    but its almost like my triceps dont want any part of this.....any advice???
    Why are your tris bothering you when you are doing pullups?

Wink

i understand that multiple muscle groups are involved in doing pull-ups, but your triceps actually do most of the work.....depending on how your hands are positioned on the bar....mine face palm out instead of palm in resulting in my triceps doin most of the work.....you can have great biceps (brachii and brachioradialis) and deltoids, but without that power from your triceps brachii....you arent going anywhere...
    tap out or pass out!

i understand that multiple muscle groups are involved in doing pull-ups, but your triceps actually do most of the work.....depending on how your hands are positioned on the bar....mine face palm out instead of palm in resulting in my triceps doin most of the work.....you can have great biceps (brachii and brachioradialis) and deltoids, but without that power from your triceps brachii....you arent going anywhere...
    Ummm...I can do 40+ chins and 30+ pullups and don't have this tricep problem you are having. Your back takes the brunt of the work, followed by bi's and then some by shoulders/traps. Changing grips can result in the bi's coming into play more or less. I've never heard of the tris taking any of the work while doing a pullup. Are you doing these directly after pushups?

Wink

Originally Posted by kbdub View Post
    Ummm...I can do 40+ chins and 30+ pullups and don't have this tricep problem you are having. Your back takes the brunt of the work, followed by bi's and then some by shoulders/traps. Changing grips can result in the bi's coming into play more or less. I've never heard of the tris taking any of the work while doing a pullup. Are you doing these directly after pushups?
    im NOT having problems,pain,ect... with my triceps, but, given that i have good delts, and a back i was assuming that it was my tris givin me problems...also, your back only does so much work when doing pull-ups, after u get past a certain degree mark, its your delts and arm muscles doing most of the work
    tap out or pass out!

nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Wink

thank you for the training schedule thingy....looks rough but im totally up for it *evil grin* ill keep ya posted.....
    tap out or pass out!

SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpittfireDA is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Brilliant!

Do 1 pullup, rest 5-10 sec, do 2 pullups, rest 15-20 seconds, do 3 pullups, rest 20-25 seconds, do 4 pullups rest 30 seconds. Start back with 1 rep and go back up the ladder. One time up the ladder in this case is 10 reps. So if you do 2 ladders you have completed 20 pullups, which is more than you could probably do otherwise.

I'm in pretty much the same boat - I always reach failure at 7, when I'm gunning for 10. I'm definitely trying this one. But I don't think my triceps are in the equation - I do pullups/chinups as a warmup on back day.

Also like the weighted idea.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread ... great question!

Wink

whats up guys?!?!?!?
    i hit 10 today!!!! hell yea!!! watch out 15....here i come....
    ps....i have a fight on fri...i just found out yesterday...im filling in for someone....wish me luck, or wish the other girl luck that i dont break her and make her beg for her mom...*evil grin*
    tap out or pass out!

enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Are you seriously over 200lbs? Because if you can do 10 pullups at that weight, props to you! That is impressive! Most skinny girls can't even do more than 2-3.
    The fight is won or lost in the gym.

Cool

yea, that is my actual weight. determination is everything! and if you knew my muay thai trainer u'd understand lol......the pull ups truly are the least of my worries when he is around....
    tap out or pass out!

MashkaNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MashkaNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MashkaNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MashkaNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MashkaNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MashkaNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MashkaNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MashkaNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by enforcerlady View Post
    Are you seriously over 200lbs? Because if you can do 10 pullups at that weight, props to you! That is impressive! Most skinny girls can't even do more than 2-3.
    i was thinking the same thing! pretty amazing good job girl!!

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

These are really fun if you have a partner. The only time you rest is while your partner is on the bar doing a pullup, as soon as they get off the bar you get on it and do your reps. The cycle repeats while you add 1 rep each time. If you do not have a partner just imagine how long it would take for them to do the desired number of reps (I was trying to guess how long it would take someone to complete a set with the times I listed above). Stay away from failure on the first few times up the ladder as you do not want to kill yourself so your next set stinks. You may find it easier to do 3 ladders up to 3 reps each time (18 reps) vs 2 ladders up to 4 (20 reps).
    Sounds like a great idea!

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't know what kind of pullup you are doing or what parallel universe you workout in, but your triceps aren't going to tire first doing pullups.

Anyway, the fastest way to do more pullups is to make your bodyweight feel lighter. The only way to do that fast is to add a heavy weight vest or strap weights to a lifting belt and do set after set of negatives and holds. Try to add at least 50lbs or more. After a couple of weeks of those, your own bodyweight will feel like a feather in the wind.

freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) freekgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ironman1964bc View Post
    I don't know what kind of pullup you are doing or what parallel universe you workout in, but your triceps aren't going to tire first doing pullups.

Anyway, the fastest way to do more pullups is to make your bodyweight feel lighter. The only way to do that fast is to add a heavy weight vest or strap weights to a lifting belt and do set after set of negatives and holds. Try to add at least 50lbs or more. After a couple of weeks of those, your own bodyweight will feel like a feather in the wind.
    I agree on the negatives and holds. Go down as slow as you possibly can. I mean painfully, ridiculously slow. Or even hold for a few seconds at each point on your way down. You'll be fried after doing those for a while.

Has helped me squeeze out extra reps.

iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNatalia has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

x2! Tris got nothing to do here. Elbows out. Imagine pulling elbows down into your sides, rather than pulling your chest to the bar. Mind-muscle connection, baby
    Fitness and Nutrition Coach at Raw Fitness - http://RawFitnessPersonalTraining.com

imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10) imbiggert is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Unless you add weight, pullups are an exercise that you don't pyramid. I generally like to pyramid as it warms up the muscles and preps the mind. You can replicate pull-up-like movements with the lat pull-down set-up. Just use a closer grip on the lat bar or a push-down bar. Of course you're pulling the weight down as opposed to pulling yourself up, but it's the same movement.

Wink

Thanks for the polite response......anyway I did what u suggested and now I can breeze through 20 pull-ups no problem....I'm hoping as my body weight goes down, the sets 'n reps will go up....we'll see. I'm taking a slight break right now cuz I'm training up for a match in nov and dec, so most of my time right now is being spent on bag work and sparring......
    tap out or pass out!