Thread: No rest days

Razies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No rest days

After lifting for a few years, then taking about 6 months off, im getting back into it slowly. If I were to do a light full body weight routine, of about 30 minutes, and the next day i'm not sore, can I repeat this each day without taking time off between workout sessions?

hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hockeytownfan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Razies View Post
    After lifting for a few years, then taking about 6 months off, im getting back into it slowly. If I were to do a light full body weight routine, of about 30 minutes, and the next day i'm not sore, can I repeat this each day without taking time off between workout sessions?
    I don't know if this is a good idea if you are training the same muscles every day. From what I've read on HST, you need to rest a muscle 48hrs. Personally, I'm in the gym six days a week and do a split like so

Mon: Back
    Tues: Chest
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Shoulders
    Friday: Bis
    Sat: Tris

sweet

Im a fan of the split myself. Ive just been out of it for a while and just want to start being more productive but the routine ive been doing is so light (due to time restraints) I feel that waiting a day between workouts is almost pointless

Krooger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krooger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krooger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krooger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Krooger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like your conditioning your body for activity. In that case I would think it's fine. Don't think you should stick to that routine too long though, then again I don't know your goals.

Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Razies View Post
    Im a fan of the split myself. Ive just been out of it for a while and just want to start being more productive but the routine ive been doing is so light (due to time restraints) I feel that waiting a day between workouts is almost pointless
    I don't understand. What kind of time constraint is preventing you from putting heavy weight on the bar? Full-body is good. Short workouts are decent, especially for beginners. But you gotta lift heavy.

and to answer your question, you should be working out every other day. You make progress during the recovery phase. If you remove the recovery, you won't get anywhere. If your workout isn't challenging, then... add more weight to the bar.

aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aspengc8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Lackeos View Post
    I don't understand. What kind of time constraint is preventing you from putting heavy weight on the bar? Full-body is good. Short workouts are decent, especially for beginners. But you gotta lift heavy.

and to answer your question, you should be working out every other day. You make progress during the recovery phase. If you remove the recovery, you won't get anywhere. If your workout isn't challenging, then... add more weight to the bar.
    You can still workout 6 days a week. You don't need "days off" to recover. If I do chest/back/arms on monday and legs on tuesday, I can do chest/back/arms on wednesdat again no problem, while progressing. Frequency, progression and caloric surplus is all you need to grow.

Btw, I get about 5 hours of sleep a night.

Originally Posted by Lackeos View Post

Thats actually part of the problem. Im a Merchant Marine so I live and work on ships. And each one's gym is different, if it exists at all. This gym in particular looks as though a woman in her mid 40's just ordered everything she saw on late night infomercials. the heaviest dumbbell we have is 8lbs!! we have 2 ab lounger/rockers! We have the dial-a-weight dumbbells but they're broken. I almost lost a toe the first time I tried to use the ONE we have left. And theres a exercise bike and a rowing machine with almost NO resistance. Im not challenged at all. So at the moment, im just trying to get my body moving as my job, although long hours, isnt as physically demanding as it used to/could be

Originally Posted by Krooger View Post
    Sounds like your conditioning your body for activity. In that case I would think it's fine. Don't think you should stick to that routine too long though, then again I don't know your goals.
    Youre right as well. I put on almost 50 lbs pretty rapidly during a long 90 day vacation. So now I have zero energy. I feel like an old man and im only 27. Trying to be more active across the board.