chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question What shoulder exercises do YOU do?

Just curious as to what other people are doing on shoulder day.. I know some people split up their traps and delts, but I prefer to hit them all on the same day. My typical shoulder day goes as follows

light stretching then:

I usually do 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps heavy weights for the following:
    Front raises
    Lateral raises
    Shrugs
    Military Press
    upright rows

then follow with wide grip pull-up 2 sets until failure.
    and occasionally jump in the pool and do some light breast strokes if I have time/energy.

I feel like my shoulders aren't being worked enough, and am open to any input and critiques on what other people enjoy doing for their shoulders, please suggest any other exercises that would help. I do try and very them up (i.e. military press standing vs seated some weeks, lateral raises seated/standing others - shrugs with barbells/plates/big dumbells).

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

kristophs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by chillenword View Post
    Just curious as to what other people are doing on shoulder day.. I know some people split up their traps and delts, but I prefer to hit them all on the same day. My typical shoulder day goes as follows

light stretching then:

I usually do 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps heavy weights for the following:
    Front raises
    Lateral raises
    Shrugs
    Military Press
    upright rows

then follow with wide grip pull-up 2 sets until failure.
    and occasionally jump in the pool and do some light breast strokes if I have time/energy.

I feel like my shoulders aren't being worked enough, and am open to any input and critiques on what other people enjoy doing for their shoulders, please suggest any other exercises that would help. I do try and very them up (i.e. military press standing vs seated some weeks, lateral raises seated/standing others - shrugs with barbells/plates/big dumbells).

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Mine is:
    Military press
    Dumbell press
    Front raises superseted with lateral raises
    Dumbell shrugs
    Smith machine , behind the back shrugs

chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillenword is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kristophs View Post
    Mine is:
    Military press
    Dumbell press
    Front raises superseted with lateral raises
    Dumbell shrugs
    Smith machine , behind the back shrugs
    Thanks, Tonight I think I'll add some standing dumbell press' as well as military!

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Seated Dumbbell Press
    Seated DB Lat Raise
    Machine Lat Raise

DB Shrugs

I'd be careful with the front raises as its a very small muscle and it gets hit on all pressing movements.

Also, not sure where you put rear delts ( i do them on back day) but if you do them on shoulder day I would add Bent-over db lat raise. Just make sure to come directly out to your side and not behind you. It's easy to move them behind you since that will use more lats than anything, but much less effective for stimulating the rear delt.
    My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146169983&pagenumber=

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer

consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250) consumingfire has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    military press
    laterals
    I always rep back

reps owed:
    RossDuggan

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do shoulder related exercises 3x a week:

Day 1: Push press (usually first lighter set is a strict press): 3-4 sets of 5-6
    Day 2: Behind the neck jerk: 4x5
    Day 3: Push and split jerk (followed by a negative since the lack of a lifting platform at my current gym means I can't just drop the bar from overhead) preceded by a clean: Don't really count, perhaps some 7-8 sets, starting from triples and ending up with singles.

Also a bit of rear delt work (3x8-10 of face pulls or rear delt raises) on push press day.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000)
    upright cable rows
    behind the back shrugs
    Savage 'bout my cabbage.

m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50) m3dude will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    military press/bench press/incline bench press/dips

Originally Posted by ase19 View Post
    upright cable rows
    behind the back shrugs
    those are the only 2 you do?

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Press

defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100) defleaner is not very well liked. (-100)
    Press
    side raises
    incline side raises
    face pulls

loving it

stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stunnna23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Usually stick with this:

DB Military
    Smith BB Military/Standing Push Press (generally alternate each week)
    Seated DB Front Raise
    Standing Side Raise
    Seated DB Shrugs
    Lift heavy ass weight
    Bench - 320
    Squat - 415
    dead - 460

RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50) RussAnderson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Seated DB Press
    one arm Side cable Laterial raises
    Bent over cable raises
    Barbell Shrugs

4 sets

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    OP and several repliers are not hitting the mid or lower trap or the posterior deltoid, add in a bent-over rowing movement for this. Elbows in will allow strength do to lat assistance, elbows out diminishes this for better focus but less weight.

If you use a barbell, using a wider grip will diminish reliance on elbow flexors and focus on max contraction of back at top. Using a narrow grip will allow better stretch at the bottom but reliance on elbow flexors to pull it to your chest (or else you will bring elbows in and use lats to row to hip). If you use a dumbbell, you can get the best of both worlds as you get the stretch on the bottom but can space your hands further apart as the elbows raise out.

Rowing can also be done with other tools like an ez-curl bar (I just got a cheap one from wal-mart that says it can load up to 150) and if you have a pulley machine, those split ropes people use for tricep moves.

If you are doing dumbbell rows, keep in mind you can also forcibly extend the elbow with triceps to keep the hands outside of the elbow. It's a way to avoid relying on elbow flexors and the leverage makes the weight harder to lift, especially at the top. You can also do flies with a given weight and gradually bend the elbows as you fatigue until you're rowing it, a way of doing a kind of drop set without letting go of the weight.

Rowing a weight and then extending the elbow (feels a lot like a kickback, but you're kicking them out to the side) is also an option, you would be using the traps/rhomboids/post delt to isometrically hold the scapulae and humeri back while the triceps do this. This may possibly allow someone to get to the top of the fly position with a heavier weight than they might have done via keeping the arm straight as they flied it up. I'm not sure how that would work. It doesn't work totally the same as using this trick with bent> straight arm lateral raises.
    Last edited by Tyciol; 04-15-2011 at 02:53 PM.

__Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Standing OHP
    Sitting DB OHP
    Sitting Lateral Raises
    Bent over reverse flyes
    Face pulls

BB Shrugs
    DB Shrugs
    Upright Rows

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    OP and several repliers are not hitting the mid or lower trap or the posterior deltoid,
    Really? It is not possible to hit those areas with any movement other than one for 'shoulders'?

bamfhawkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me my right shoulder gets inflamed pretty easily, so i normally start with shoulder press on the nautilus machine, i also do pretty high reps 15-20 to get a good pump in without having to risk injuring my shoulder.

Then i move on to arnold presses or db military presses and stick around the 10-12 rep range.

I finish up the delts with a few tri sets of front/lateral/rear delt raises. 10 reps each exercise but 30 in sequence.

I recently found a good toaster for traps by doing bb shrugs 2 x 60 and take a few seconds rest every 20 reps and then doing the same thingwith dumbbells.

Hope this helps!

Registered User BillabongVolcom's Avatar
    BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Side Laterals (Different variation each week)
    Bent-over Laterals/Flys (Or Rope Face Pulls, change every week)

I'll throw in Military Press every other week at the very end for 1 set til complete failure with rest-pause style for 15 reps.
    I had all the normal teenage fantasies..cars, girls, money, blow. Then my parents left for a week, and all my fantasies came true!

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    Really? It is not possible to hit those areas with any movement other than one for 'shoulders'?
    It's possible, yes, but it's also possible that people doing this routine may not be doing those movements. All I can point out is that they're not listed.

Certainly a lot of trap/postdelt stuff is part of a 'back' or 'upper back' routine. It's a bit confusing since shoulder can range from meaning the entire clavicle/scapula/arm contraption or meaning something like 'muscles on the top of you'. The tragedy of slang

Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr.Singh2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do:

Military press
    Seated DB press
    Face pulls
    Bent over DB flies
    Lateral cable flies
    Leaning lateral db flies
    DB/BB shrugs

Gets all heads of the delts, seeing good progress so far.

shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50) shredorded will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Always: 4-6 sets of seated DB press and /or military press and 4-6 sets of lateral raises

Sometimes: 3-4 sets of reverse fly's and/or more of a bent over lateral raise. I hit rear delt quite a bit on 'back' day.

Seldom: 3-5 sets of front raises and upright rows. Most of us are over developed in the front delt due to bench press.

My main focus: overall shoulder mass + side and rear delt development.

Registered User STEELCITYMUSCLE's Avatar
    STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10) STEELCITYMUSCLE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Military Presses
    Barbell Shrugs
    Side DB Laterals
    Rear Machine Laterals 4-5 sets each exercise 6-12 reps.

ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000) ase19 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by chillenword View Post
    those are the only 2 you do?
    no, those are the ones I do that most people overlook... i do all the normal stuff also (DB/BB OH press, lat raises, etc etc)
    Savage 'bout my cabbage.

simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50) simonkite will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Usually do a quick warm up, 20 reps of press on low weight, bit of stretching etc.

Will then do a set of medium weight seated DB press, then will go in to:

3x8 seated DB press
    3x8 lateral raises superset with front raises
    3x8 across body cable raises (dont know the proper name) - hits rear delts
    3x5/6 heavy shoulder press SS with 12shrugs

i try to go to negative failure on the raises, seems to be working quite well for me so far, been doing this a few months and have seen considerable improvement in my shoulders in both size and strength. suppose it's different for everyone tho.

also think my traps are genetically good - hence why i dont do much for isolating them, tbh i often leave out shrugs if im tired already.

dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dtoxUK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    DB Press
    Side raises
    Rear delt flye's
    Upright rows occasionally

240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240witsr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hang clean & press x3
    seated db arnold press x2
    front raise x2
    side raise x2
    behind back bb shrug x3

sometimes i add db shrug x2 at the end
    "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for my training in Krav Maga makes me the baddest mother f-er in the valley".