vic8379 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginner, but I don't want to work out just three times a week

I've just started weight lifting really about a week and a half ago. I went with my friends the first day, who all lift about 6x what I could lift so it was a bit discouraging, but it broke the ice so I kept at it and I've been back every day since. I'm not out of shape, but I have neither the muscle mass, nor strength that I want to have.

For a background, I've been in the us army for close to coming up on two years now. My pt scores have never been awesome, usually barely pass and have to do push-ups a lot to maintain even that. I can carry a 40-50lbs bag with full body armor, and a weapon 20 kilometers through a desert in the blistering heat, but I guess if got anything from that it was a strong pair of legs, and shoulders, lol.

Anyways, I want to get bigger, and stronger. My push-ups have already increased a lot since I started working out, but now I want to keep going on that.

Basically, since I started going to the gym, I found it the most comfortable to just stick to the machines. I can change the weight on the fly, (because I don't really know where I'm at on most workouts), and I know I'm always doing the right form. Right now I'm kind of doing a three day split. Chest/Tris, Back/Bi's, Legs/Abs, and rest on the next day if I'm feeling tired.

Is this ok or should I stop being a baby and move to free-weights? I've gotten over the looking small in the gym thing, but am still scared I can't throw hardly anything up on bench press. Also have a small gut I want to lose, so I've been shooting basketball a lot in between sets, and do ab workouts in with my workouts everyday. I also have been taking NO Xplode for energy and a pump before workouts, and cellmass after workouts which I dont think is a problem.

One of my friends was drunk tonight and said I had small arms and a gut tonight, so I got butthurt and came here for advice... lol thanks

ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Creul to be kind -- sticking with machines does not = correct form, we are not robots, we move freely through space. A machine is forcing you into an unnatural range of movements and takes away a lot of the stabilizing needs, move onto free weights.

Work out for you, just because your friends are stronger so what, find a good routine and make your goal one of getting stronger than they are, it is possible. Bigger and stronger come from food so learn basic nutrition before going on the supps.

Have a plan!! -- Take a notebook and pencil with your exercises for the day already written out, to include weight lifted, sets x reps, fill in the numbers as you complete each lift.

Read the sickies in workout forum, look for simple beginners routine and starting strength, compare and pick one, do it for 6 months, follow it to the letter without change, keep good food coming in then re-assess. We all have to start some where, no-one walks into the gym able to through decent numbers around.
    Recovering dislocated right shoulder since 04/07/2010 :-(

Login Incorrect, you have -2.0E+24 tries remaining

notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50) notanobsession will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Look through the beginner programs.

I believe there are several that are 4 or 5 days a week.

But if you're worried about being weak, Do SS.

It's only 3 days a week, but if you follow the program, it works wonders.

My Dead lift, bench, pendlay row, squat, and press have gone up as follows in 5 week.

Deadlift - 100/185
    Bench - 100/135
    Pendlay Row - 95/125
    Squat - 100/155
    Press - 60/90

And im still going very strong, but I need to take a break from the squats for a day, they get ridiculously tough after a month..

Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd suggest moving to free weight, and going with a proven program, something like Starting Strength. (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki)

Things to keep in mind; Don't modify the program. It works as it is, do what it says. Make sure to read and watch the lifts before performing them. If possible have someone who knows the lifts watch you and check your form.
    Being in the army should help you be able to push (metally) a lot more than an aveage person could, be careful not to go overboard. Move up slowly, as long as you increase every workout it will add up quick.
    Don't start with a split full of isolation movements, if you're new to weight lifting, start with full body. Most people see better results this way. Even if you look at a lot of the stuff done in the army, they mostly stick to large movement, or full body movement.

These are just a couple suggestions, and really they are just things I've seen/noticed from myself and from other people. So really, you can take what you want from it.

Also, on another note, you're in the US Army, but you mentioned you've gone 20 kilometers. Do you often use KM instead of miles? Seems odd to me.
    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing you will be successful."

Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you don't have to follow a proven routine like ss. make your own but make it smart. trust me 3 days a week will pack more muscle then 4-5. you need rest. your body grows while you sleep not while you tear your muscles. trust us on this dude. i didn't realize until today but their right. less is better. but i do lots of sets because i only workout 3 times a week.
    Going for 220 lb

Rep back everytime

-- R.I.P Zyzz --

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I also think Starting Strength would be your best bet if you are interested in getting strong very quickly.

s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

Originally Posted by Marleau12 View Post
    you don't have to follow a proven routine like ss. make your own but make it smart. trust me 3 days a week will pack more muscle then 4-5. you need rest. your body grows while you sleep not while you tear your muscles. trust us on this dude. i didn't realize until today but their right. less is better. but i do lots of sets because i only workout 3 times a week.
    Hard to make a smart routine when you just start working out a week ago. I see it in half the people that go to the gym with me or whoever. They go to the gym once and see all their friends and others lifting heavy ass weights and their all ripped. The first thing that goes through the mind ( well mine atleast ) was, damn I want to get big and lift everything and every body part as fast as I can without doing any research.

Result = going to the gym 6 days a week, not getting enough rest, not learning anything about proper lifting or nutrition aswell as where to start or doing any kind of research which would benefit in the long run. Which means a total mess of overtraining and a flacid cock.

Thats right... Overtraining means flacid penis, you don't want that do you?

ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500) ANIM0SITY is not very helpful. (-500)
    i gotta look up this starting strength program

Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Is the Starting Strength wiki. If you're really serious about the program I'd suggest getting the book and giving it a good read through. Lots of information in the book thats not on the wiki.
    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing you will be successful."

s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) s3thA10 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Halrawk View Post

Is the Starting Strength wiki. If you're really serious about the program I'd suggest getting the book and giving it a good read through. Lots of information in the book thats not on the wiki.
    I bought the book I can't wait to get it haha.

retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Working out 4, 5 days a week is fine, provided you're steadily making strength gains and aren't feeling like poop most of the time. Intensity has a lot to do with it, too - deadlift heavy 2-3 days a week and you will most likely feel like poop

Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by s3thA10 View Post
    Hard to make a smart routine when you just start working out a week ago. I see it in half the people that go to the gym with me or whoever. They go to the gym once and see all their friends and others lifting heavy ass weights and their all ripped. The first thing that goes through the mind ( well mine atleast ) was, damn I want to get big and lift everything and every body part as fast as I can without doing any research.

Result = going to the gym 6 days a week, not getting enough rest, not learning anything about proper lifting or nutrition aswell as where to start or doing any kind of research which would benefit in the long run. Which means a total mess of overtraining and a flacid cock.

Thats right... Overtraining means flacid penis, you don't want that do you?
    not everyones retarded, though. i made a great routine on my own and it's working fine.
    Going for 220 lb

Rep back everytime

-- R.I.P Zyzz --

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."