Slowly diminishing fatty SoSadBtTrue's Avatar
    SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10) SoSadBtTrue is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Anyone keep their head lifted off the bench?

Hi All,

I was just re-reading Starting Strength to make sure my form was spot-on, and I came across this section:
    Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    you do not use your head to bench press. Do not push jour head into the bench. This is an excellent way to injure your neck. You need to learn how to tighten up your neck without pushing on the bench with the back of your head. As a practical matter, this involves holding your head about a half-inch off the bench during the rep. If your head is held off the bench your neck muscles are tight. It is tempting to use the neck to push the bench, as it adds contracted muscle and tightness to the upper back area, but it is too dangerous a habit to let become established.
    So, does anyone actually do this? I tried it today and it was challenging. It adds an element of coordination to the bench. I feel like my overall strength was less because I was concentrating on keeping my head up. It will probably start to feel more natural over time, but it was a bit awkward today.

Just curious. Thanks!

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    I keep my head on the bench.

I've never heard of a neck injury during a bench press unless it involved the bar falling onto thee's neck.
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ALEXH- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I lift my neck when I bench. I don't do it on purpose, it's just easier for me for some reason. Mind you I bench using dumbbells. When I do close grip with barbell my head stays on the bench. I don't know if this is weird or not lol.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pressing the back of the head into the bench is very common and IMO should be avoided.
    I do find it a useful reminder to every now and then raise my head off the bench slightly, but I don't do the whole set like this. Maybe a rep or two, just to remind myself not to press my head into the bench.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry - hit reply too soon.

It is most important, IMO, to really pinch the shoulder blades together, giving a rock solid foundation to press from.
    A lot of people lack this in their form, and this can lead to the head pressing issues.

Also, when shuffling into position can be a common place that you might place a lot of weight on the head, putting stress on the neck. Not saying this is terrible, but should be considered for safe and injury free lifting.

DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) DrShreddingston is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I keep my head up bra!

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    i don't lift it off but i'm not pushing my head into the bench either... it just kind of rests there like it should.

shoulders on the other hand are pressed pretty tightly into the bench.
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NewMe101 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have hurt my neck by turning it to look at the weights while in the middle of a rep, never will do again
    Disregard everything, acquire profits!

Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Comming from a powerlifter point of view, it will reduce overall power being transfered into the lift. Not sure on %'s though.
    I have done it before with lightweight, but when I go heavy its all focus and form...with the head DOWN
    =[][][]=== B I G xxx P O P P A xxx P U M P ===[][][]=

If The Bar Aint Bendin, Your Just Pretendin