Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Man on a Mission (Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Lifting, and Getting Sexy)

I currently look something like this:

I'd like to look something like this again:

I went from pic #2 to pic #1 due to:

In all honesty, I really have no interest in being shredded. Last time I did that I just lost all my strength and I have no real reason to get that lean. My main goal is to fit into an XL shirt comfotably again. I used to fit into an XL with no problem but after gaining 25 pounds after I turned 21, they don't fit anymore!

In the past I have powerlifted, played football and rugby, track, and wrestling. Recently, I have taken up Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ) for exercise. I am a BJJ white belt and have been training for two months. I plan to combine my BJJ, lifting, cardio, and diet to reach my goal.

Weekly Plan
    Monday: Lift and Cardio
    Tuesday: Cardio and BJJ Class
    Wednesday: Lift and Cardio
    Thursday: Cardio and BJJ Class
    Friday: Lift and Cardio
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: BJJ Open Gym

I will be alternating upper and lower body days and the cardio will be done for 30 minutes at a steady state. Eventually, I will do more intese cardio but right now I just need to work on getting a base.

Diet
    Macros will me around this:

~2400 calories, ~40% protein, ~30% fat, and ~30 carbs

Supplements
    Champion Whey
    Fish Oil
    Vit. C & E
    Multi
    Joint Health
    Xtreme Formulations Chizeld
    Ephedrine
    Creatine

Wrap Up
    Anyways, I'm going to my best to keep this journal interesting. So expect more beyond just the usual workout and diet log.
    Last edited by Stormrider; 06-19-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Some Fun Stuff
    460x1 Deadlift
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AzeL--2ohUc

Bench 250x1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0GkTLS4Fkc

Jitsu

40oz Curls

Rugby Pics

Cutting Results from a Few Years Ago (Pre-college)
    Last edited by Stormrider; 06-19-2007 at 08:47 AM.

6/19/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 9 Hours
    DOMS: None

Training
    Workout Type: BJJ Training
    Energy Pre-Workout: Okay
    Exercise:

My stomach felt a little uneasy going into practice tonight and I'm not sure why. Luckily, that feeling went away once I got to the dojo.

We did our usual running, forward and back rolls, shrimping, and some lower body static stretching to get warmed up. From there we worked kicks, switch kicks, and than 30 Muy Thai knee strikes.

First move we practiced was a an ankle pick we worked some on last week. We grabbed the neck of our partners gi and kept our elbow tight to his body. From there we pulled them towards us in order to get them to take a step forward. After the partner stepped, we kept the hold on the neck lapel and squated down, grabbed the back on the ankle, pushed our opponent down, and landed in half guard.

Next, we worked a monkey flip and a helicopter into an arm bar. Our instructors said if this actually works on an opponent, you know your fighting a newbie but they should us anyways. Mostly just for the fun and laugh factor.

Than it was time to work from the north-south position. We practiced two moves and the first was a choke. From the north-south position, we started with an over and under hold on the arms with our bodies on the otherside of the under grip. The hand under the arm reached back and grabbed deep into our partners neck and grabbed the lapel of the gi. The other hand went across the throat and grabbed the neck lapel high up. The middle of the forearm was placed on the neck and than we switched our hips to put more bodyweight on the opponents neck. It took me a few times to get it right but when I did, I could hear my opponent making some wierd noises. Apparently, that means I was doing it right, haha.

The other north-south position move we practiced was an arm bar of sorts that I never got the hang of. The move is hard to explain and I messed it up plenty of times. I'll try and practice it Sunday with my instructor.

The last thirty or so minutes was spent on open rolling. I started rolling with a guy named Ken. Ken has no neck and is all defense. In the past I've had some good wars with him on the mat but rarelly win. I usually get gassed and he takes advantage of it and gets me to tap.

Ken, Start From Knees
    Got him in side control, mount, and work for some gi chokes with no luck. Eventually, I got his back and locked in a rear naked choke and he tapped. This was the first time I've ever gotten this on him.

Ken, Standing
    I had a hard overhook on his right arm, threw my other arm into the overhook and slid between his legs and flipped him over me into side control. I went from mount to side mount several times in attempt to get a sub on him. I got sloppy and he got a sweep on me and ended up in full mount. I was getting smothered and he was about to lock in a kimura and I tapped.

Ken, Standing
    I took a quick break to catch my breath after the last match and than Ken and I started standing again. I decided to try something different and shot on him. I was able to get his left leg and took him down into his half guard. I worked out of half guard and hit him with a keylock.

Rick, Standing
    Rick's a few years older than I am and a little bit bigger than I am but has only been comming for a week. He is strong but inexperienced. I was able to get overhooks on each of his arms and locked my hands together with his arms stuck in front on him. From here I tipped him over with an arm drag of sorts and started from side control. I was than able to mount him but had no luck with the gi chokes or keylock. He kept pushing me away and turning to his stomach and I just let him. He turtled up on his stomach and I grabbed a leg and wheelbarrowed him into the ground. From there I got my hooks in and hit him with a rear naked choke.

Andy, Starting in my Guard
    I have a lot of trouble when I have people in my guard, so I asked Andy, one of the more experienced students, to work with me from this position. Andy is my age but is only 180 pounds compared to my 250. Anyways, he passed my guard pretty quick, mounted me, and than got a gi choke. Yeah, I got killed.

Tim (Instructor), From Knees
    Tim is a blue belt and is one of my two instructors. He rolls with each one of us for five or so minutes and will get you in a dominate position and than stop and ask you what you should do next and than lets you do it. He than counters it easy as can be into another position and we repeat from there. Eventually, you leave an opening and he will finish you. My end came when he was in the knee into stomach position. I reached up to grab his gi and pull him off and he finished me with an arm bar.

I was going to stretch after practice but my hips cramped up every time I tried to stretch and lower body muscle. I will bring my foam roller to practice next week and roll my hips after practice and than try and stretch.

Workout Length: 5:30PM to 7PM
    Energy In Workout: Good

Extra Stuff
    Hot tub at the gym for 10 minutes
    Icing of low back for 10 minutes

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    3 ZMA Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps

Diet
    2364/67/201/251

Random Thoughts
    I didn't get my morning cardio in today because I finally decided to get off my ass and do something with my life about 30 minutes before work and I didn't want to do it before BJJ.
    Last edited by Stormrider; 06-19-2007 at 09:29 PM.

6/20/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 7
    DOMS: Neck

Training AM
    Workout Type: Upper Body Intensity
    Energy Pre-Workout: Good
    Exercise:

Bench Press: 5x5
    135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 195x5, 215x5

Barbell Row: 5x5
    45x5, 95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 135x5

Push Ups on BOSU: 2xMax
    BWTx5, BWTx3

Plank: 2x20 seconds
    BWTx20 seconds, BWTx20 seconds

Lying DB External Rotations: 2x12
    5x12, 5x12

Chest and Lat Static Stretching

Treadmill - 9 minutes

Workout Length: 8:35AM to 9:30AM (55 Minutes)
    Notes: Benching was going very smooth up and until 215. That last set just felt sloppy and my wrists hurt after doing it. I really need to work my wrist strength out or I'm going to be in a lot of pain down the road. Anyways, I'll stay with 215 next week and make sure it goes better.

I was planning on doing incline DB bench press but figured doing push ups on an unstable surface would be better for chest-shoulder strength and stability. This exercise was definatly a challenge.

For future reference, so days I do direct arm training and some days I don't. It just depends on how I am feeling and how much time I have. Today I didn't feel like it, so I didn't do it. I did the big stuff and thats all that matters to me.

I got on the treadmill and started doing some cardio and realized it was stupid because walking on an incline treadmill has almost no carry over to BJJ. Instead, I decided to do burpees in the evening.

Training PM
    Workout Type: Cardio (Burpees)
    Exercise:

Burpees for 30 seconds followed by a one minute rest x3

Notes: It was storming out so I had to do these in my living room. These definatly are going to have some carry over to my BJJ conditioning. After 30 seconds of this exercise I was gasping for air and after the third set I was sweating like I was in practice.

Anyways, I plan to start with 30 seconds, five times a week, and five seconds to each set as time progresses and my conditioning improves.

Extra Stuff
    Icing of shoulders for 10 minutes

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    3 ZMA Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps

Diet
    2437/75/200/255

Random Thoughts
    Bleh, long day.

6/21/07

Basics

Training
    Workout Type: BJJ Training
    Exercise:

Attendence has been down the past few weeks at BJJ class. A few guys have injuries and others well, have families, haha. There were only three of us to start practice but another guy showed up about a half hour into it.

We started off with some kickboxing combos to get warmed up. Thigh kicks back and forth between partners and than we worked inside leg kicks when our opponent went for the outer thigh kick. I was having a little trouble with my aim and caught my partner in the groin, twice. I owe someone a few beers now. He didn't kill me but showed me how to kick and we avoided further nut shots.

We got the punching bags out and did a combo of left jab, right jab, left hook, and than a round house. Finally, we finished off with 15 round houses and than 15 switch kicks. The switch kicks were tough for me as I am right handed and don't lift my left leg that high often.

Time for BJJ, we started working the ompa from being mounted. From there we learned what to do when our opponent blocks the ompa with their leg. From that position we work back to full guard. Than it was the x-choke and the keylock from the mount position. I was happy to learn these moves as I can get to mount on most of my grappling partners but have no clue what to do from their. Of course, I'll have to wait a few practices to try these as everyone knows whats comming as we just learned the move a few minutes prior.

We than started open rolling but before, our coach Tim, talked to us about purposely letting our grappling partners get us in positions that we are not comfortable in or going for submissions we usually don't do. As doing the same move over and over might work to a person at our dojo but someone outside of it may counter it no problem and than your out of luck as you don't have anything else in your game plan. For me, thats pretty much being in any position besides having side control but the major spot that bugs me is having someone in my guard. I struggle with arm bars, don't know how to do the triangle, and my sweeps get blocked.

Rick, Starting from my Guard
    Rick, unfortunatly, passed my guard pretty quickly and had side control on me. I just relaxed on the bottom and waited for him to shift his weight too far over and eventually he did. I didn't get the dominate position out of it but I was able to escape his side control. Rick was getting pretty gassed from moving around so much when he had me mounted so I was able to get side control pretty easy on him. He left his arm away from me unprotected and I hit him with a keylock and ended it.

Rick, Starting from his Guard
    I got under one of Rick's legs and went to flip him but he attempted a triangle, a move he hasn't learned yet but has had done to him before. I made the same mistake in the past and let him know that before I broke out and flipped him. He quickly rolled to his back and I went into side control and than knee mounted him hoping he'd leave an arm up for me to bar but he knew better. So I switched to full mount, grabbed the lapel of his gi behind his neck, put my forarm across his neck and grabbed the arm with the gi and leaned forward and ended the match.

Mike, Instructor, Starting from his Guard
    Mike is a really hard guy to roll with. He is a former national level powerlifter, BJJ blue belt, and has black belts in three other martial arts. I did my best to keep my posture in his guard but the guy is so dang strong and he was able to break me down. He had my head down on his chest and eventually finished me with a neck twist. It wasn't a neck crank, as he didn't crank my neck, but he just waited for me to turn my head and caught it with forarms and let me struggle to try and get out. Which only made the lock harder on my neck, forcing me to tap.

Mike, Starting from his Guard
    Same as last time but I didn't stuggle once he got his forearms in place and he gave it up. From there I just sat in his guard. Usually, when I am rolling I try and work quick but with Mike I find myself stopping to think a lot. I think of what I can do next and than what he will do to counter it. He always laughs and says he can tell I'm thinking a lot when I roll with him. Anyways, he rolled me into side control and he noticed my elbow was on the ground and my arm was just dangling there. He put his bodyweight on it, bending my wrist back and forced me to tap.

He said after he can tell my conditioning has improved a ton and said to keep it up.

Jeff, Starting from Knees
    Everyone else was resting or rolling besides Jeff and I so we rolled. He probably weights 70-80 pounds less than me. I tried to pull him into my guard from my knees but no dice. He got side mount on me and I worked to get back to half guard/guard. Jeff is probably the quickest guy who trains BJJ and we ended up doing a merry go round deal with him trying to get back to side control and me trying to block it. He eventually got it and a mount but I was able to roll him. He switch his hips out and we were on our knees again but I caught him with a guillotine ending it.

My weight advantage made it pretty unfair but I like working with the small guys because they are so damn fast. Which makes me work a lot harder to keep up. I did my best to not be a dickwad and put all my bodyweight on him or crank anything due to my size advantage. I do not want to be that guy that everyone hates!

Extra Stuff
    Icing of both elbows for 15 minutes

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    3 ZMA Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps

Diet
    2451/78/184/260

6/22/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: ?

Training
    Workout Type: Lower Body
    Exercise:

Squat: 8x3 sets
    175x3x8 sets

Deadlift: 1x3, 1x2
    285x3, 295x2

Strive Machine Lat Pulldown: 3x8
    110x8x3 sets

Side Plank: 2x20 seconds
    x20 seconds, x20 seconds

A few sets of regular and reverse wrist curl gayness

Workout Length: ?
    Notes: I lost my workout journal somewhere, so I am unsure of the reps during the wrist curls and the length of the workout.

I plan to throw a few sets of wrist curls in on Mondays and Fridays to help strengthen my wrists. They are weak and hurt like hell when I squat and bench.

Straps were used on the lat pulldown machine because after deadlifts my grip is pretty much shot.

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps

Diet
    I hit the Olive Garden up for supper and destroyed the "Tour of Italy" and a had a Stella. The rest of the day was solid.

Random Thoughts
    Italian + Stella = Heaven

6/23/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 10
    DOMS: Hamstrings

Training
    Workout Type: Cardio
    Exercise:

Treadmill - 20 minutes

Lower Body Static Stretching

Workout Length: 11:30AM to 12PM (30 Minutes)
    Notes: I had to run into work (the gym) to pick something up and planned on walking through the housing edition across from my place but decided to just walk for a bit on the treadmill at work and watch Sports Center.

Not a real workout, more of just killing time on my "off" day.

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps

Diet
    2328/73/168/259

Random Thoughts
    The UFC Finale on Spike was decent this evening. I was happy to see Diaz win it but it was pretty lame how he won. I was hoping for another sneaky submission, not a shoulder dislocation.

BJ whooped Pulver, whiched bumbed me out a bit. I wanted to see Pulver pull it out for some reason...

6/24/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 7 Hours

Training
    Workout Type: Group Cycling
    Exercise:

Group Cycling Class - 1 Hour

Lower Body Static Stretching

Workout Length: 3:30PM to 4:40PM (1 Hour and 10 Minutes)
    Notes: Sunday is open mat at the BJJ dojo but for some reason no one showed up to open it. I waited around for a half hour with another student and we ended up leaving, lame. I'll have to talk to my instructor Tuesday about finding out if its going to go down or not.

Anways, I've been meaning to try out a cycling class at my gym and figured today would be a good day. It was a good workout but nothing like rolling. But than again, what is? I got a good sweat going and enjoyed doing it as it really beats using a elliptical or treadmill.

I think I might do this class on Tuesdays and Thurdays when it works with my schedule and Sundays if there is no BJJ.

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps

I keep forgetting to take my ZMA!!!!! I'm going to move the bottle to my computer desk so I see it and take it when I am updating this.

Diet
    2379/72/182/249

I hit Jimmy John's up today for a sub, oh man those are good. They blow Subway way the hell out of the water.

Random Thoughts
    I bought Season Three of "The Shield" today. Best. Show. Ever.

The accidental bulker : ( Bodysteele's Avatar
    Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000) Bodysteele is just really nice. (+1000)
    Gustavus Adolphus>>>???

Thats a good college.

Im guessing you were the opponent though...where do you go?>

Im like you if you let yourself just go for another 2 years of eating/drinking and no activity but im on 5x5 now and doing my cardio to get back.

Awesome journal please check mine out the link at the bottom will take oyu there...

SCRIBED!

Originally Posted by Bodysteele View Post
    Gustavus Adolphus>>>???

Thats a good college.

Im guessing you were the opponent though...where do you go?>

Im like you if you let yourself just go for another 2 years of eating/drinking and no activity but im on 5x5 now and doing my cardio to get back.

Awesome journal please check mine out the link at the bottom will take oyu there...

SCRIBED!
    Yep, I was playing against the private school *******s. I go to University of Wisconsin - River Falls and played for the UW-RF Fighting Cocks.

I'd be happy to take a look through your journal.

6/25/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 6

Training AM
    Workout Type: Conditioning
    Exercise:

Burpees - 30 seconds/1 minute rest x 5 rounds

Notes: I was going to do three rounds only but realized that really isn't much of anything, so I went with five. My quads seem to tire out before my lungs do. I get to the bottom position after 10 or so reps and my legs just dont want to work anymore...

Training PM
    Workout Type: Upper Body
    Exercise:

Standing Overhead Press: 5x5
    105x5x5 sets

Close Grip Bench Press: 3x8
    135x8x3 sets

1-Arm DB Row: 3x8
    40x8x3 sets

Barbell Curl: 2x10-12
    45x12x2 sets

x20 seconds, x20 seconds

Wrist curl gayness

Workout Length: ~1 Hour
    Notes: Today was a laid back day in the gym. I haven't done any of these exercises for ages so I started light to get a feel and will be adding more weight in the comming weeks.

Forgot rotator cuff stuff, gah!

Extra Stuff
    Chiro Adjustment

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps
    3 ZMA Caps

Diet
    2542/78/206/261

Random Thoughts
    The scale had me at 247 this morning! Thats down six pounds! Granted, that was mostly bloat but oh well.

It looks like there is a big BJJ tourny in November and I am shooting to make my BJJ world debut at that time, haha. I will be really busting it with my cardio and what not over the next five months to have me in tip top shape at this time. If my gas tank holds more than my opponents, I believe I'll have a real nice advantange.

6/26/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 7 Hours

Training AM
    Workout Type: Cardio
    Exercise:

Burpees - 30 seconds followed by a 1 minute rest x 3

Notes: I planned on doing five rounds of burpees but my quads were toast even before the forth round and I started but I could not jump out of the bottom squat position, so I called it a day. I believe I need to do a few extra warm up stretches to be ready to d these as my quads are tiring out before my lungs do.

Training PM
    Workout Type: BJJ Class
    Exercise:

Today was the hottest day of the summer so far and the gym doesn't have air conditioning. Woooo!

Class started with some kick boxing combos. I have never practice striking before, so this part of class is pretty ugly. I had a tendancy to loop my punches, which my instructor noticed and worked with me on keeping my arms close to my head and extending them from there. Kicking was even worse than the punching so I went real slow just to make sure the technique was close to what my instructor was showing us.

We started BJJ with double and single leg takedowns. This wasn't too hard for me as I did it years ago in wrestling but I need to make sure to plant my face in my opponents stomach rather than their sides to avoid the choke.

Than we worked the sprawl and than the circle choke from the sprawl. This is an awesome submission, I really hope I can get it on someone in the comming weeks. After the circle choke we worked two more submissions from the sprawl position. They both work in a combo of sorts. The first was to go from a front sprawl and switch to the opponents thigh, cross facing the throat and grabbing their arm and reaching around the opponent and placing the back hand on the inner thigh. We than planted our front leg in front of the opponent and practiced a arm bar with the legs. This only works if the opponent grabs our leg.

The second submission is hard to explain so I won't type it all up but it was a gi choke with a leg step over.

We than worked shoulder locks from our guard after being taken down with a double leg. We kept out legs high and bodies tight to our opponents. When the opponent planted his arm on the mat, we switched to a shoulder lock and shrimped into position. I suck from the guard but think I may be able to pull this move off.

The time came for open rolling...

Ken from Knees
    Finished Ken with a Gi-Choke. I rolled him into it and pulled the gi across his neck, it was sick.

Ken from Knees
    Switched between side mount and mount several times before hitting Ken with a keylock from side control.

Tim, Instructor, from his Guard
    Tim and I went for about ten minutes. Tim usually instructs us on the fly and shows us different subs and rolls from the position were in. He said he was wanting to tire me out before choking me out but I never did tire out. He told me after he is really impressed with my rolling progress and my improvments in conditioning.

Tim, from my Guard
    Tim passed my guard pretty quickly and than hit me with some sick arm bar that hurt like hell.

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps
    3 ZMA Caps

Diet
    2352/72/201/256

6/27/07

Basics

Training
    Workout Type: Lower Body
    Exercise:

Squats: 5x5 (1x5)
    135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 195x5, 225x5

Good Mornings: 3x8
    135x8x3 sets

Workout Length: 11:25AM to 11:45AM (20 Minutes)
    Notes: I was in a big time crunch today as I worked twelve hours at the YMCA and had thirty minutes between shifts so I jumped into the weight room and did two main exercises.

First four reps of 225 on squats went easy but the last one was tough out of the hole.

I wanted to do a 5x5 of good mornings but had no time for that so I had to settle for a 3x8.

Extra Stuff
    Strive Lat Pulldown Machine: 3x8
    120x8x3 sets

Side Planks: 2x20 seconds
    x20 seconds, x20 seconds

I worked in the fitness center from 3-9PM today and it was dead towards the end so I snuck the rest of my workout in.

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    9 Chizled Caps
    3 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps
    3 ZMA Caps

I took extra ephedrine and Chizled today to keep me going during work.

Diet
    2401/73/185/261

6/28/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 3
    DOMS: Hamstrings and my knees ache.

Training
    Workout Type: BJJ Class
    Energy Pre-Workout: Okay
    Exercise:

Class started by working the same kickboxing combos we worked last week. I felt like my striking and kicks were improved over last week.

We next worked the arm bar drill, switching to an arm bar on each side of a partners body. I had some trouble with it in getting my body turned far enough but I figured it out a bit later in class.

Next up we worked double legs and single leg takedowns again. We than practiced shooting and pushing into a partner up and down the mat. I felt like I was doing pretty good on these today.

We than learned two sweeps from the guard. The first was a scissors sweep which I had problems with. My problems came from shrimping to my side and getting my leg through the opponent and against their stomach. The other sweep was one I've had done to me several times by older students, so I'm happy I know it now and recognize how it works. From guard, you sit up, place your feet flat on the ground, reach across your body over your opponents opposite shoulder and grab their elbow. From there, you push off the opposite side leg of the attack and pull the opponents elbow to the mat.

Finally, class was finished up by learning to do an arm bar if the opponent blocks your scissors sweep. Once again, I had some troubles with this sub but my instructor worked with me some and I figured out how to move my body when going for the arm bar. This was the exact same thing we were working in the arm bar drill. Legs push off, low back and hips stay on the mat, crunch up, and spin.

Open Rolling

Rick, Standing
    He shot on me and I caught him in a guillotine but couldn't finish it off on him. I knew I was damn close too. From there I got a double leg on him but couldn't get past his legs. He gave up his back eventually and I got hooks in but he had two hands on one my arms block the rear naked choke. I tried to rear naked him with one arm but it wasn't going to happen. He worked out of this position and I went between side control and full mount. I could have finished him with a keylock but I really want to work my other submissions so I passed on it. He got a nice sweep on me and had me mounted. I tried for a half assed ompa and he hit me with a wicked arm bar and it was done.

Lesson Learned: Go balls to the wall with my sweeps, no half assed attemps expecting my opponent just to roll because I'm trying a sweep.

Ken, Standing
    I got a nice overhook on Ken's left arm and move it down to his elbow area. I was hoping to do an arm drag type of takedown but he just went to his knees and I got him in side control. He swept me but didn't get full mount. I ended up getting Ken in my guard and broke him down and had my legs high on his back. I decided to try for a triangle, a move I haven't gotten yet. I got my leg behind his head but didn't pull it down before I threw my other leg up there. He started to stand up and I was about to get turned over but I recognized what was wrong with my triangle and reached up and pull the leg behind the neck down and the move just sank it. Oh man was it sweet. Ken tapped and I was probably the happiest guy in the building. God damn that move is sweet.

Rick, Standing
    I really wanted to try my double leg and or single leg takedowns on Rick today but he was never in a real good position to go for one. I fake a few times but that was about it. He tried some wierd throw and landed in side control. I quickly mounted him and before he could attempt anything, I hit him with a french guillotine and he tapped.

Rick, Standing
    The double and single leg takedowns still weren't there so I went for the head and arm throw. It was sloppy but he went down but I didn't have good enough control of his arm to triangle arm choke him. I switch to side control but he was able to get half guard. From there I really don't remember what happened but we ended up in a wierd position where he had his arm planted on the mat and I stepped over and went for an arm bar. I had my legs in the right position for it but forgot to squeeze my legs around the arm. We ended up in a north-south positon with me having his arm between his legs. He tapped and said the first arm bar I had was enough to make him tap but his arms were tangled up and he couldn't do it...Odd.

Anyways, I really wasn't on my game tonight. I think having to get up at 4AM and than have class at 5:30PM with three hours of sleep might have done it. I was pissed that Rick was able to arm bar me today. Usually I take it better when I tap in practice but the whole car ride home I was thinking about how hard I'm going to train and how I'm going to destroy everyone in that November tournament.

I really need to improve my positioning in mount. I was swept twice today from that position. Knees in arm pits, feet on opponents hips, and arms out in front of you as support. If I can remember that, I'll do just fine.

Extra Stuff
    Icing of elbows and knees for 15 minutes

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    6 Chizled Caps
    2 Ephedrine Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps
    3 ZMA Caps

Diet
    2694/90/241/244

Calories are somewhere in that range. I had two slices of pizza that my parents brought home last night. I was dying for some junk and it looked good.

Random Thoughts
    My joints are really starting to ache. I am getting a little too gun-ho here. I'll keep it to conditioning and lifting on M,W,F and BJJ class on T, Th. With Saturdays off and I'll roll Sundays if the gym is actually open.

6/29/07

Basics
    Hours of Sleep: 8 Hours

Training
    Workout Type: Upper Body
    Exercise:

Bench Press: 5x5 (1x5)
    135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 195x5, 215x5

A1) Body Row: 3x Max
    BWTx5x3 sets

A2) Push Up w/ Feet on Bench: 3x8
    BWTx7, 5, 5

Strive Rear Delt Machine: 2x10-12
    20x12, 30x12

B1) DB Tricep Extensions: 2x10-12
    20x12x2 sets

B2) Curl Bar Curls: 2x10-12
    45x12, 7

Cable External Rotations: 2x12
    5x12x2 sets

x20 seconds, x20 seconds

Cobra on Swiss Ball: Max Time
    x45 seconds

Lat and Chest Static Stretching

Workout Length: 10:30AM to 11:25AM (55 Minutes)
    Notes: Felt real motivated today so I did a lot of stuff in the gym.

Bench felt great today. No problems with form like last time.

Subbed body rows for barbell rows as I want to work a lot more body weight stuff for a few months and see what happens.

Curl bar curls make my shoulders hurt more than my biceps, so I stopped at rep seven.

Extra Stuff
    Hot tub for 10 minutes

Supplements
    9 Fish Oil Caps
    3 Chizled Caps
    3 AMP Caps
    2 Joint Health Caps
    1 Vitamin C and E Caps

Diet
    Calories/Fat/Carbs/Protein
    ~3114/116/245/281

Calories were probably closer to 3500 as I had some food off of the appetizer sampler plater at Applebees.

Random Thoughts
    I was bored at work and a friend let me practice my triangle on him, hahaha! Note: The pic is after he started yelling and I am releasing the triangle.

[img]http://photos-b.ak.********.com/photos-ak-sctm/v98/100/66/184900563/n184900563_31199033_8721.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by Stormrider; 06-29-2007 at 09:31 PM.