LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Red face Kimm, Emma....anyone...

I've pegged my maintenace to be right at ~2100 while following solely a weight bearing routine (Layne Norton's to be specific). As of late, I've been adding a little cardio here and there resulting in an average maintenance of ~2300. My diet consists of roughly 1550 calories daily, unless I burn more than expected (monitored via armband), therefore creating a 750 calorie deficit. Now, I've been losing weight consistently, but feel that the caloric level at which I'm eating may not be enough to support the mass I currently hold. I also feel that my strength is suffering and this may be directly related to the amount of food I'm consuming. I know it's all about the deficit, and I'm reaching my goal deficit..but at what cost? Strength AND muscle loss?

I just wanted to gather some opinions on this. I believe that mass will be maintained at the same rate when a 750 cal deficit is implimented regardless to how it's reached. However, do you think that I could maintain strength better if I up my daily cals to ~1950, and increase my cardio to burn ~26-2700, thus keeping my 750 cal deficit?

If so, strength would be a major plus in the long run, not to mention health benefits from cardio.

I've added some photos from a recent cutting log I began below. I'm 5'6, 142lb(now)..and definitely don't consider myself small for my height. Any advice/comments/opinions would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=122212751
    Female.

Nutrition Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122212751&page=1

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154412901&p=1080426511#post1080426511

Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adelaide. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm not Kimm or Emma, but I'm 5'6'', 138 and I'm eating 2000 cals a day. I'm about to bump my cals up because I'm still losing weight and have low energy, so I bet you can definitely afford to increase your cals. Could you increase your cals and just have a smaller deficit? You won't lose as fast, but you also won't be as tired and you will lose less muscle.

Also, your link isn't working for some reason.

ALWAYS double taps. carbonmade78's Avatar
    carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carbonmade78 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Q

Originally Posted by LEX-UA View Post
    I've pegged my maintenace to be right at ~2100 while following solely a weight bearing routine (Layne Norton's to be specific). As of late, I've been adding a little cardio here and there resulting in an average maintenance of ~2300. My diet consists of roughly 1550 calories daily, unless I burn more than expected (monitored via armband), therefore creating a 750 calorie deficit. Now, I've been losing weight consistently, but feel that the caloric level at which I'm eating may not be enough to support the mass I currently hold. I also feel that my strength is suffering and this may be directly related to the amount of food I'm consuming. I know it's all about the deficit, and I'm reaching my goal deficit..but at what cost? Strength AND muscle loss?

I just wanted to gather some opinions on this. I believe that mass will be maintained at the same rate when a 750 cal deficit is implimented regardless to how it's reached. However, do you think that I could maintain strength better if I up my daily cals to ~1950, and increase my cardio to burn ~26-2700, thus keeping my 750 cal deficit?

If so, strength would be a major plus in the long run, not to mention health benefits from cardio.

I've added some photos from a recent cutting log I began below. I'm 5'6, 142lb(now)..and definitely don't consider myself small for my height. Any advice/comments/opinions would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

We are both in pretty much the same boat. I'm about your weight and your height - and I've been on a diet of 1500 cals for the past month or so. (Lowered from around 1650...) It's tough. I weight train 3x a week, run, and take taekwondo. I've been feeling wiped a lot lately and I don't know if that's a result of low calories + high activity, or just things like not getting enough sleep (which I don't..), fatigue from TOM (which is right now..), etc..

Question though - you said you've been losing weight consistently..what's your weight loss rate? If you've been losing at a 1 lb. a week, you can probably up your cals and STILL experience some weight loss..(maybe more like 0.5 lb. a week) and have more energy for your lifts.. For example, if you bump your cals to 1750, you'd still be in a caloric defecit and technically, you'd still lose weight...just maybe a bit slower.

Then again, I'm still trying to figure all this out myself...
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LEX-UA is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Adelaide. View Post
    I'm not Kimm or Emma, but I'm 5'6'', 138 and I'm eating 2000 cals a day. I'm about to bump my cals up because I'm still losing weight and have low energy, so I bet you can definitely afford to increase your cals. Could you increase your cals and just have a smaller deficit? You won't lose as fast, but you also won't be as tired and you will lose less muscle.

Also, your link isn't working for some reason.
    Originally Posted by carbonmade78 View Post
    We are both in pretty much the same boat. I'm about your weight and your height - and I've been on a diet of 1500 cals for the past month or so. (Lowered from around 1650...) It's tough. I weight train 3x a week, run, and take taekwondo. I've been feeling wiped a lot lately and I don't know if that's a result of low calories + high activity, or just things like not getting enough sleep (which I don't..), fatigue from TOM (which is right now..), etc..

Question though - you said you've been losing weight consistently..what's your weight loss rate? If you've been losing at a 1 lb. a week, you can probably up your cals and STILL experience some weight loss..(maybe more like 0.5 lb. a week) and have more energy for your lifts.. For example, if you bump your cals to 1750, you'd still be in a caloric defecit and technically, you'd still lose weight...just maybe a bit slower.

Then again, I'm still trying to figure all this out myself...
    Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the kind words but I'd like to keep my high deficit. I don't want to go any further than 750, but have a goal of dropping 1.5 lb per week...which I've been doing successfully. My question was supposed to be strictly preformance related. I'm at a higher bodyfat that I am willing to accept (much higher) so I really want to drop. I'm aware that a 750 cal deficit is a 750 cal deficit regardless, but I can't see how getting that deficit while consuming ~2000cal wouldn't be more beneficial than getting it consuming 15k.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=122212751 <--- Link Fixed
    Female.

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154412901&p=1080426511#post1080426511

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the kind words but I'd like to keep my high deficit. I don't want to go any further than 750, but have a goal of dropping 1.5 lb per week...which I've been doing successfully. My question was supposed to be strictly preformance related. I'm at a higher bodyfat that I am willing to accept (much higher) so I really want to drop. I'm aware that a 750 cal deficit is a 750 cal deficit regardless, but I can't see how getting that deficit while consuming ~2000cal wouldn't be more beneficial than getting it consuming 15k.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=122212751 <--- Link Fixed
    From a strictly performance related point of view, as you get leaner, your performance will suffer when you try to keep your deficit high. What it comes down to is your goal is too aggressive. It's easy to lose 1.5 pounds/week without your performance suffering when you have a lot of fat to lose. When you don't have as much stored energy, it becomes much more difficult. Whether you create the deficit through diet or cardio, you're still going to have a difficult time getting the energy to complete your lifting program.

Originally Posted by Tiffany_P View Post
    From a strictly performance related point of view, as you get leaner, your performance will suffer when you try to keep your deficit high. What it comes down to is your goal is too aggressive. It's easy to lose 1.5 pounds/week without your performance suffering when you have a lot of fat to lose. When you don't have as much stored energy, it becomes much more difficult. Whether you create the deficit through diet or cardio, you're still going to have a difficult time getting the energy to complete your lifting program.
    That's not what I wanted to hear lol, but when I think about it...it makes perfect sense. Thank you, I appreciate the advice.
    Female.

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz

How long have you been eating in a deficit? If you increase your calories and up your cardio, you're still using more energy. I like to keep my deficit higher, focus my energy on training and not worry about the cardio. It's a personal choice.

What's your macro breakdown look like? Sometimes switching things around can make a big difference. The other option is to start throwing in some refeeds, which will def make you feel better.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    How long have you been eating in a deficit? If you increase your calories and up your cardio, you're still using more energy. I like to keep my deficit higher, focus my energy on training and not worry about the cardio. It's a personal choice.

What's your macro breakdown look like? Sometimes switching things around can make a big difference. The other option is to start throwing in some refeeds, which will def make you feel better.
    I generally focus on energy for training as opposed to cardio, and understand that if I increased both cals and cardio I'd still be using roughly the same amount of energy.
    I guess I wasn't thinking about it this way in the beginning, instead assuming food would equal a strength increase...

My macro breakdown is as follows:

on any given day - 140-150p, minimum of 20% fat, rest with carbs. I suppose I could look at other factors such as sleep, but I've never felt this down/weak on a cut. I feel that I carry a good amount of lean mass for my body size but am also carrying too much bodyfat. 20%+ ... I didn't think refeeds would be necessary 1x week and instead have been shooting for 1x/2 weeks.
    Female.

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    I generally focus on energy for training as opposed to cardio, and understand that if I increased both cals and cardio I'd still be using roughly the same amount of energy.
    I guess I wasn't thinking about it this way in the beginning, instead assuming food would equal a strength increase...

My macro breakdown is as follows:

on any given day - 140-150p, minimum of 20% fat, rest with carbs. I suppose I could look at other factors such as sleep, but I've never felt this down/weak on a cut. I feel that I carry a good amount of lean mass for my body size but am also carrying too much bodyfat. 20%+ ... I didn't think refeeds would be necessary 1x week and instead have been shooting for 1x/2 weeks.
    I would increase the healthy fats to 25-30% and lower the carbs. It should help with your strength and even give you a little more energy.

Try this first and see how it works. Because of your higher deficit, I would be throwing in a refeed once a week.

Hope this helps.

I would increase the healthy fats to 25-30% and lower the carbs. It should help with your strength and even give you a little more energy.

Try this first and see how it works. Because of your higher deficit, I would be throwing in a refeed once a week.

Hope this helps.
    You think weekly is okay? I can definitely handle going up to maintenance or maybe 100 or so over without completely going nuts. I have rather strong will power, I just didn't think it would be necessary considering I'm not very lean ATM.

Will take advice on the fats. Thanks
    Female.

You think weekly is okay? I can definitely handle going up to maintenance or maybe 100 or so over without completely going nuts. I have rather strong will power, I just didn't think it would be necessary considering I'm not very lean ATM.

Will take advice on the fats. Thanks
    Change up your macro breakdown first and see how you feel. A refeed day for me is only 150 calories above my deficit...so it depends what kind of refeed you're talking about...mine suck...

madcol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Change up your macro breakdown first and see how you feel. A refeed day for me is only 150 calories above my deficit...so it depends what kind of refeed you're talking about...mine suck...
    Hi Kimm
    can i ask what you eat extra of on a refeed day?

Just interested.
    Thanks
    Colette

Originally Posted by madcol View Post
    Hi Kimm
    can i ask what you eat extra of on a refeed day?

Just interested.
    Thanks
    Colette
    Hi Colette

The extra calories are all carbs.
    Last edited by kimm4; 04-06-2010 at 08:16 PM.

ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZombiePinup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is it true that healthy fats can help increase your energy?
    "Being a woman is not an excuse for being weak, Train to be as good as the men and be the best of the women..."

Originally Posted by ZombiePinup View Post
    Is it true that healthy fats can help increase your energy?
    Yes. Most definitely. It isn't the enemy by any means and as far as a healthy and well body is concerned, 20-30% of total calories should come from healthy fats.
    Female.