Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

GI of uncooked Old Fashioned Oats

I put old fashioned Quaker oats into a coffee grinder, and then into my protein shake.

Was wondering what the GI is of Oats consumed in this form... anyone know?

BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by thisiseasy View Post
    I put old fashioned Quaker oats into a coffee grinder, and then into my protein shake.

Was wondering what the GI is of Oats consumed in this form... anyone know?
    Why do you care?

thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thisiseasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BloodRaged View Post
    Why do you care?
    For no reason other than I enjoy knowing useless nutrition related facts.

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    GI is irrelevant. But in a fasted state, eating only oatmeal, it would have an imaginary number around 48 according to a 2 second google search.

Why is GI irrelevant?

You have to eat high gi right after you work out to build big muscles!?!

No?!

BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000) BloodRaged is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are you being serious or just trying to start a debate?

Are you being serious or just trying to start a debate?
    debate... i want to hear the sides

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why is GI irrelevant?
    It's irrelevant for many reasons....you aren't eating one food only, you aren't eating it fasted....etc etc...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=120705611

Read this, Alan Aragon chimes in on the subject.

You have to eat high gi right after you work out to build big muscles!?!

No?!
    No.

debate... i want to hear the sides
    The sides are people hanging on to old dogma and people who pick up the most current knowledge available. Choose a side.

Originally Posted by SwiftyX View Post
    The sides are people hanging on to old dogma and people who pick up the most current knowledge available. Choose a side.
    wow sounds so easy, thanks for breaking it down.

Originally Posted by Insight View Post
    If you care at all about GI, you're probably going to be better off looking into GL instead. Secondly, you should know that the problem isn't GI, but carbs. You shouldn't eat any carbs at all, since they make you fat.

Also, you shouldn't eat fat, because fat makes you fat. So you should only eat protein. But protein shakes are out, so that leaves you with bland lean meats.

But really it's best to eat vegetarian, so you should really just eat beans and nuts. But nuts are too calorically dense so they're out. So that leaves beans.

ALL YOU CAN EVER EAT ARE FCUKING BEANS

Of course, the carbs in beans are okay, because they're from the earth.
    Solid reasoning skills... well said.

OK, the idea is that GI really only applies to foods eaten in isolation. A white bread roll will have a higher GI than a wheat bread roll (but not as much as you might think). But, when you take that roll and combine it with a full Subway sandwich, the rest of the ingredients in the sandwich slows the digestion of the entire meal down. The GI of a white bread roll only applies if you eat that roll entirely by itself.

In fact, foods you've eaten a few hours ago will still affect the GI of something you eat right now. So the GI of a white bread roll only applies if you eat that roll entirely by itself, and after fasting for a few hours (or being in a "fasted" state as people like to call it).

The third problem with GI is that it doesn't take into account how much of the food you eat. Sucrose is fairly high-GI. Obviously, as you know, eating 1/4 tsp of sugar is going to lead to a different result than eating a tablespoon full of it.

The fourth problem with GI is that some foods that were listed as being high GI (carrots, watermelon) do contain high-GI sugars in them, but very little sugar relative to the size of a serving. The type of sugar found in watermelon is very high GI and fast digesting, but an actual watermelon doesn't contain much of it. The type of carbohydrate in carrots is very high GI and fast digesting, but again, the carbohydrate density of a carrot is very low.

There is a newer index called "GL" (Glycemic Load) which accounts for the third and fourth problems listed, but as far as I know the first two problems still ring true with this new index regardless.
    Reps... thanks.

wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    to answer your original question, i would belive grinding it up would make it higher GI based on being ground up, the body would have to do a whole lot less to convert it over as opposed to whole chunks of oats

LOL... you think that grinding oats up will break down the carbohydrate molecules in the oats on a molecular level?

Do you have a nano-scale grinder?
    It is a Krups, so possibly

Haha. Well in that case, I'd refrain from grinding your oats up. Also make sure you don't chew them either

it might also be a good idea to get rid of any gastric acid floating around in your stomach that might break them down
    This is what I did.

I grind the oats up so fine now that I just put them in a lemon water substrate and inject them right into my veins after working out.

It gets right to the muscles and I feel great!

*For any really dumb people out there, I'm ****ing kidding...*

wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10) wannamikeout is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lol, i dont really know any of this for a fact, but in my mind it makes logical sense that the closer it is to being digested before you eat it the quicker it will break down and raise blood sugar levels. Am i totally off on this?

selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If there was a button to push for the most useless post....Bam... would hit it with my fist.......
    While liftin duh weights I yell out..."You sexy beast"...."Squeeze metal for papa".

still large, but significantly smaller than it previously was am i correct? not here to argue, and the difference is probly minimal, but i do belive im right when i say there is a difference between powder and whole chunks.

selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Somebody said beans before bed...fck...I'm drinking a isolate protein shake now and blowin the covers over my head....
    While liftin duh weights I yell out..."You sexy beast"...."Squeeze metal for papa".

x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And besides, your teeth ARE a grinder So what's the point in even thinking about it?
    This is why I tell people to stop chewing so much and it's best to just swallow food whole If you want a meal to really stick to your ribs. I'm writing a book now titled "Eat like an Anaconda."

Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
    This is why I tell people to stop chewing so much and it's best to just swallow food whole If you want a meal to really stick to your ribs. I'm writing a book now titled "Eat like an Anaconda."
    That's funny, I'm making a porno named "Suck it like an Anaconda" coincidence?
    Might name it "Choke on it like an Anaconda"

plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000)
    Haha. Well in that case, I'd refrain from grinding your oats up. Also make sure you don't chew them either

it might also be a good idea to get rid of any gastric acid floating around in your stomach that might break them down
    ha ha ...every one like a little ass, but I really like a smart ass
    currently cutting..... again!!

"most people have absolutely no idea what they're capable of" --me

That's funny, I'm making a porno named "Suck it like an Anaconda" coincidence?
    Might name it "Choke on it like an Anaconda"
    fiction right?

Originally Posted by selffirst View Post
    fiction right?
    Why are you trying to see my dong?

:P

And yes, I'm not really making a porno with that name. It's just what I thought of when I read that ****.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy. But to answer the OP's question, oats are a unique grain in that increases in surface area (via grinding them up, etc) don't seem to alter their metabolic effects. The mechanism may be that the viscosity (gumminess) caused by the beta-glucan content impedes either a) the rate it's broken down by amylase or b) the rate at which glucose and maltose diffuse toward the intestinal mucosa, or c) a combination of the previous:

Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2451416

But let me reiterate that worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy, see links provided previously in this thread.

phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) phal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    And boom goes the dynamite.
    Sheiko? My journey to 1,500+ @ 165

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167881761

Keep On Getting Strong

Best Gym Lifts

475/315/610 @ 165

Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    Worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy. But to answer the OP's question, oats are a unique grain in that increases in surface area (via grinding them up, etc) don't seem to alter their metabolic effects. The mechanism may be that the viscosity (gumminess) caused by the beta-glucan content impedes either a) the rate it's broken down by amylase or b) the rate at which glucose and maltose diffuse toward the intestinal mucosa, or c) a combination of the previous:

Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2451416

But let me reiterate that worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy, see links provided previously in this thread.

Thanks Alan

hahaha

well I repped wannamikeout, he was right, I was wrong
    yeah you got PWNED

I have never done this until today....I put my oats in my coffee grinder..addin them to my protein shake and water....I ****in loved it....I feel stupid cause I heard others guys doin this and I was put off....but I got to say...loved it seriously..