Thread: xanthan gum

Returning to Savagery JustBrowsin's Avatar
    JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

xanthan gum

so i stumbled across some money today and bought a bag of xanthan/guar gum from the low carb store and tried it out and it didnt seem to do much. how much do you usually use? i used 3 tsp with about 16 oz of water, 2 scoops of whey and a banana and it was still runnier than i would have liked
    Disregard Taco Bell, Acquire Filiberto's.

Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Are you sure you didn't mix it wrong? For me, as little as a 1/2 teaspoon is capable of thickening 1 liter nicely with little else added. It may have clumped up on you.

In a shaker bottle, make sure to mix all dry ingredients first then add water to it. 3 teaspoons should leave you with a thick gruel barely drinkable.
    Our kind has never been seen before.
    And when the last of us are gone,
    We will never be seen again.
    Because there is a secret behind our creation,
    And secrets like this only come around once.

JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i used the blender if that makes a difference

wormdigger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ..i just add 1 tbs to the blender...makes it nice and thick...

..maybe cause I use skim milk? - But I love it, makes my shakes nice and thick...its like a milk shake!!!

love it!

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yup I usually add about 1tsp and it works well
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

well, added 3 tsp to my shake just now

1 scoop ON choc mint whey
    10 oz skim milk]
    3-3.5 tsp of this garbage gum

and again i noticed very little difference

I bought this stuff at the "low carb mall" store. It was supposed to be $21 but I showed the guy where I got it and that it's not labled so I thought it was $10 and he gave it to me for that. The stuff is called THICKENthen Not/Starch or some ish and the ingredients says:

Vegetable Gums (Acacia, Guar, Carob, and Xanthan)

Needless to say I'm not pleased with the thickening results, but oh well, at least I can add some fiber to my shakes.

Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well, it looks like the problem is in the ingredients! I don't think acacia and carob with thicken so much as xantham would. Xantham is listed last meaning there isn't much of it, probably not enough to work well. Plus how effective it is at thickening, varies when combined with other thickeners.

You need to get just xantham gum by itself. Buy NOW brand online as it is cheapest.

Guar gum tastes like crap and is basically an inferior version of xantham gum. Xantham has a nice neutral flavor.

For a fiber supplement, you might try oat fiber. Tastes better than psyllium husk by far imo and makes a good shake.

-Cardinal
    Our kind has never been seen before.
    And when the last of us are gone,
    We will never be seen again.
    Because there is a secret behind our creation,
    And secrets like this only come around once.

Liang171717 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1% - 3%

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Liang171717 View Post
    1% - 3%
    good job bumping two 9 year old thread about xanthan gum, I see red in your future
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total