Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

So I just started lifting..(need some help/tips)

I got a plan and everything. It was great! I could feel my body being worked and it actually felt good since I do have some extra meat I want to shed. But there are some problems....

When I started to lift, my form is perfect, but I always have that weird feeling that I'm doing it wrong. I mean, I've checked in the mirror, but I feel if I don't look as I perform it I will mess up my form and hurt myself.

Also, as I was lifting, I'm not very strong, and I don't lift heavy weights. It kind of kills my confidence a bit knowing how weak I really am. I see people at what they start at, and some of my stats are nothing like theirs.

How do some of you hype yourself up even if you aren't doing as good as others?

arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) arimasu_yo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bracket199 View Post
    I got a plan and everything. It was great! I could feel my body being worked and it actually felt good since I do have some extra meat I want to shed. But there are some problems....

When I started to lift, my form is perfect, but I always have that weird feeling that I'm doing it wrong. I mean, I've checked in the mirror, but I feel if I don't look as I perform it I will mess up my form and hurt myself.

Also, as I was lifting, I'm not very strong, and I don't lift heavy weights. It kind of kills my confidence a bit knowing how weak I really am. I see people at what they start at, and some of my stats are nothing like theirs.

Keep at it, i believe within 4-5 weeks you'll be doing weekly weight increases. it comes fast, so don't sweat it. Having good form is better than lifting mass weights. Stick with it, and good luck!
    O.o Blasphemy.

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

You have to start where you're at! It doesn't matter one bit how much you're lifting at the offset. The idea is to get stronger and grow. Try to lift a bit more each time, even if it's 2.5 lbs. The greatest temptation that you will have is to overtrain. You can't build muscle overnight, and if you do overtrain, you'll not build a thing! Sometimes less can be more. Don't overlook your legs, and make sure you've got the nutrition side of the equation nailed down! Good luck!!!
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) will76 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

looks like you've got a good start! i want to start off by saying, good job on getting into lifting. the thing about your post that really caught my attention is when you talk about not being very strong. honestly, when i first started some 4 years ago, i really couldn't lift much. i thought, man if he can do it, then i should... WRONG! i am glad that you are taking into consideration form. way too often do find guys at the gym lifting without keeping in mind their form. yeah they are lifting 225 or something, but hell their form is just not there. keep doing what you're doing because it seems like you're doing fine. if you feel like you are doing the form wrong then ask someone at the gym (that is assuming you have a gym membership). it never hurts. it'll take some time before you can get over the fact you can't lift like others, but we all started where you're at. keep pushing yourself a little bit each week and with time you'll get where you want to be. i left wrist (tendinitis) a few years ago because i was trying to be a showoff and not keeping form in mind and well my wrist gave out. do what you're body allows you.

what got me by for the first couple of months when i started was self-realization. you are not going to be able to lift like everyone else, so keep at your own pace. i knew i was starting out and that helped a bit. i was where you were at in terms of the confidence in the beginning, but you really just got to put in the time and effort. forget what others say and remember that you are doing this for yourself and no one else. if you are doing it for others then i honestly have to say that is NOT the way to go. please yourself first then others. at the end of the day you are stuck with who and what you are. one more thing... find the support of friends and family. surround yourself with positive energy because there will always be those who don't want you to succeed. for those against you, use their negativity as fuel to push yourself out of complacency. that is complacent of what you are. you can always better yourself and always do it for the right reason, which is for yourself.

hate to have gone on my soapbox, but i really think you are off on a good start so keep with it and the dividends will come!
    Train Hard & Never Give Up!

Push yourself out of complacency and the dividends will come!

Take the negativity of others and use that as fuel. There will always be those that don't want you to succeed for their own egoism, but they're the people that will never be satisfied!

|||>I'm a hardgainer, but hell if I'm gonna let that stop me!<|||

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, everyone has a starting point and chances are there other newbies at the gym that lift as much or less than you. Also, don't pay much attention to the stats on this site, many of the people here have been training for years so you can't compare yourself to them fairly. Plus a good number of people probably are inflating their numbers in the profiles anyway.

Best thing to do is lift the weight that works your body the best and that isn't so heavy you can't keep good form.

I just started lifting again a month ago after not lifting for about 5 years. I used to be able to bench about 265, now I'm lucky if I could get 200 up once. However, each week that goes buy that I train I'm getting stronger.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50) baelish will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Overcoming the embarrassment of starting out weak is just as much an accomplishment as getting stronger is. There's tons of people who hesitate to join a gym (or try something else new) because they don't want to look foolish, so they just stay in their comfort zone. Just think of the experience as making you mentally strong at the same time as you're getting physically strong.

CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50) CEPCNC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's great to hear that another individual on here is taking their health seriously....and ACTUALLY enjoying it! Everybody deserves a better lifestyle!

Myself, along with countless other members on this forum have been in your shoes. You can read through all of these motivational threads and see countless people that overcome their fear or hangup(s) about never reaching their goals. Would it be safe to say that most of those people actually reached their goal(s) and better?? I would think so, udging by what I've seen. You're already on track, you've already come to the realization that you want to be bigger, faster, stronger....and you're doing the right things to reach it! You eat right, you lift weights, you run, and take time to rest.

Find yourself a lifting partner for one, they can help boost your self-esteem and motivate you to get your ass in the gym...and visa versa! Don't let your friend wimp out on you...lol

When I'm in the gym, my head is down (not because I'm depressed) it's because I'm concentrating on my next exercise, my next set and reps. I'm looking to dig down deep and break through any barrier/plateau that comes my way.

Set short term goals, as well as your long-term goals. If you want to slap more weight on to that last set but you're afraid you can't do it...that's just the doubt in the back of your head creeping up. Stomp the crap out of that feeling and JUST DO IT! You'll respect yourself for doing so...WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY

Forged in pain and iron wrecking_ball's Avatar
    wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50) wrecking_ball will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Great job on a plan man, thats a big part of the battle right there! Also everyone else has had awesome suggestions and advice so great support for ya here too!

As far as form goes never be afraid to ask someone to watch your form or just ask them if you were doing it correctly. I don't know many people that would get upset if you asked for a second of their time, I do it with spots all the time.

As far as heavy weights don't worry about it! You know whats ironic? Everyone worries about lifting light weights but really the only people that ever get comparisons made on them are the bigger/stronger guys in the gym! I started out lifting 95 lbs x 2 on a bench press but just kept it up and its worked out! Watch someday your friends are gonna be asking you how you got so big or able to lift so much!

For others that are doing better than me, oh well! They are great motivation in my mind. They are somewhere I want to be and seeing them I know someday I can get there. Remember weight lifting / body building is a sport that requires extreme patience! Gather all your tools and prepare your mind and body for the journey ahead, it can be long but there are great rewards along the way!

Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rockchalk0420 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by will76 View Post
    looks like you've got a good start! i want to start off by saying, good job on getting into lifting. the thing about your post that really caught my attention is when you talk about not being very strong. honestly, when i first started some 4 years ago, i really couldn't lift much. i thought, man if he can do it, then i should... WRONG! i am glad that you are taking into consideration form. way too often do find guys at the gym lifting without keeping in mind their form. yeah they are lifting 225 or something, but hell their form is just not there. keep doing what you're doing because it seems like you're doing fine. if you feel like you are doing the form wrong then ask someone at the gym (that is assuming you have a gym membership). it never hurts. it'll take some time before you can get over the fact you can't lift like others, but we all started where you're at. keep pushing yourself a little bit each week and with time you'll get where you want to be. i left wrist (tendinitis) a few years ago because i was trying to be a showoff and not keeping form in mind and well my wrist gave out. do what you're body allows you.

what got me by for the first couple of months when i started was self-realization. you are not going to be able to lift like everyone else, so keep at your own pace. i knew i was starting out and that helped a bit. i was where you were at in terms of the confidence in the beginning, but you really just got to put in the time and effort. forget what others say and remember that you are doing this for yourself and no one else. if you are doing it for others then i honestly have to say that is NOT the way to go. please yourself first then others. at the end of the day you are stuck with who and what you are. one more thing... find the support of friends and family. surround yourself with positive energy because there will always be those who don't want you to succeed. for those against you, use their negativity as fuel to push yourself out of complacency. that is complacent of what you are. you can always better yourself and always do it for the right reason, which is for yourself.

hate to have gone on my soapbox, but i really think you are off on a good start so keep with it and the dividends will come!
    Good post. Honestly, if the OP keeps at it, where hes at now, will not be the same in a few months. It takes about 6 weeks on average for a notable difference. Consistency is key though. Good luck.