Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000)
    did everyone just decide to skip over the article i posted? it states that if anything metabolic rate would increase during the period of fasting

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by icery View Post
    did everyone just decide to skip over the article i posted?
    I didn't skip it bruh-

I?d note, tangentially and I?ll come back to this below, that there is no data in humans that skipping a single meal or even a day?s worth of meals does anything to metabolic rate. Human metabolism simply doesn?t operate that quickly and various research into both fasting and intermittent fasting show, if anything, a slight (~5% or so) increase in metabolic rate during the initial period of fasting. The idea that skipping breakfast or a single meal slows metabolic rate or induces a starvation response is simply nonsensical.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Star Fleet Gym Manager startrek's Avatar
    startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Okay, thanks.

Sometimes I try to use evolutionary logic in these situations. (I'm sure it doesn't always make sense to do so, but I think it leads to some interesting possibilities.)

I would think that humans evolved to nibble things like nuts, berries, seeds, and leaves most of the time, and then have one huge meal once in a while. This would correspond to foraging and hunting most of the time, and then killing something big and eating it.

I would also think that the metabolism would be faster during the foraging and hunting period, when the body has to be ready to track or chase wild game. But then, once something is caught, it makes sense that the metabolism would slow down, so that as much as possible of the big meal is stored for energy use later.

If all of this is true, then our metabolism would be higher when we're not eating much (as long as we're eating something), and lower when we've just eaten a big meal.

Whaddya think?
    ***Don't make keto dieting so damned complicated. At least 65% of calories from fat. No more than 25g of carbs per day. Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're no longer hungry. End of story.***

mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mygame11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by startrek View Post
    Okay, thanks.

Sometimes I try to use evolutionary logic in these situations. (I'm sure it doesn't always make sense to do so, but I think it leads to some interesting possibilities.)

I would think that humans evolved to nibble things like nuts, berries, seeds, and leaves most of the time, and then have one huge meal once in a while. This would correspond to foraging and hunting most of the time, and then killing something big and eating it.

I would also think that the metabolism would be faster during the foraging and hunting period, when the body has to be ready to track or chase wild game. But then, once something is caught, it makes sense that the metabolism would slow down, so that as much as possible of the big meal is stored for energy use later.

If all of this is true, then our metabolism would be higher when we're not eating much (as long as we're eating something), and lower when we've just eaten a big meal.

Whaddya think?
    I personally would like to see some responses on this........
    Come Join My New Group: "BIGGEST LOSER CLUB"
    http://groups.bodybuilding.com/biggest_loser_club

01/08/09 - 01/15/09~~~~
    01/15/09 - 01/22/09~~~~
    01/22/09 - 01/29/09~~~~

Keto Success! The only way to go!

steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steviekm3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by startrek View Post
    Okay, thanks.

Whaddya think?
    Interesting. But I would think it takes calories to actually digest a big meal so maybe metabolism would go up after the big meal.. ?

scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A little physiology..

Yes the human body has evolved over millions of years and nowhere is it more evident than in studying the concept of energy. I think the biggest problem is that people think of it to concretely and in terms of deffinite quantities. You have to realize like most systems in the body energy is a very dynamic property. So things are never as black and white as people ofetn state, more shades of grey.
    Even under normal conditions it is very misleading to say where the body is geting energy from because in reality it comes from multiple sources and changes based upon activity intensity and duration. As an example during low intensity exercise the body typically derives energy from 70% fats and 30% carbohydrates. This is the bodys way of trying to conserve the blood glucose and glycogen stores incase they are needed later for more intense exercise. Also as the duration of an exercise increases then amount of fat used for energy increases and the amount of sugars decrease.
    Yes.. digestion of food does account for about 10% - 15% of our metabolic rate. I think the biggest benefit of eating a higher number of meals is more associated with insulin. By eating smaller more frequent meals you maintain a more stable blood sugar and thus energy for your body throughout the day. Also overfeeding for a meal or even for several days can have a thermagenic effect. because you body has become accustomed to a certain metabolic level.. weather it be normal or slightly lowered.. if you overfeed say for a short period of time.. then the body tries to burn off the excess calories to maintain the metabolic level prior to overfeeding.
    But here we are talking Keto.. so we are already kinda tricking the body. The body is still maintaing blood glucose levels by converting proteins to glucose, but in an effort to conserve the protein the body also begins to produce and use keytones at a much higher rate. Because insulin levels remain relatively low during ketosis, it seems logical that the number of meals would not seem to matter as much.

scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

oh and the orginal question...

Originally Posted by angelgarcia View Post
    On a regular diet the body might go after muscle, but what does it go after on a keto diet, Fat? For example if I miss a meal what fuel source will my body go after first?
    well...the body get it's energy from fats and proteins in the body. The body still needs a certain level of glucose primarily for the brain. The only way to make the glucose is to breakdown the protein. The fats are broken down into fatty acids and ketones to also be used as fuel.
    Glucose is the prefferred source of energy for the brain. But once the body starts having to breakdown proteins to produce glucose then that is when ketone production increases. The brain can use ketones for energy, but this is never going to be 100% of the energy. A certain level of glucose will continue to be produced by breaking down proteins.
    Again never just black or white.

gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by titebuoy View Post
    Now this quote is just hilarious
    yes right, your wrong.
    Owner of Rapid Transformation Training LLC
    Transform your Mind, Body and Life

www.rapidtransformationtraining.com