aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question High or Low GI carbs before fitness test?

I'm having a PFT (Physical Fitness Test) tomorrow. The goal is 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches, and 3-mile run (timed). This is done consecutively, with short breaks in between. I'm wondering, what is best to eat prior.

I'm thinking of drinking a protein shake w/ some cereal or fruit 45 mins to an hour before I start.

JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    idk about you but id be hurtin if i had tht 1 hour before a 3 mile run

id prolly have the usual eggs/oats bout 90 min before

thts just me
    Texas A&M Aggie, Class of 2013

RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Do what most Marines do. Just eat a delivery pizza the night before, smoke a few cigarettes that morning, and you should run a 300 no problem.

Seriously, though, before I take the PFT, I make sure I have plenty of complex carbs the night before, and usually just something small in the morning like a protein bar or something.
    Just going through the motions is one of the most disadvantageous things you can do.

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    hey bro....before i took a pt test I usually ate an apple and chicken sandwich or something...probably bout 75 g of carbs or so.

hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Crazy, 20 pull ups is so much harder than 100 crunches :P

TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    GI is irrelevant.

You probably want to eat some fats.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by TheNamesChuck View Post
    GI is irrelevant.

You probably want to eat some fats.
    Actally fats are harder on the stomach to digest and would not be a bood idea. Fruit(fast release carb with natural sugar), oatmeal, and some lean protein (slow release carb and protein to sustain you). Try to stay relatviely plain as well.
    Last edited by determined4000; 09-07-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheNamesChuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, even if what you say is better scientifically, he'll have bigger problems to solve than if he should eat slow or fast digesting carbs before he takes the test while being a marine.

Anyways, my brother was a marine and what he told me was that a piece of white bread with peanut butter and maple syrup on it was a good thing to eat before physical activity.

Nutrition isn't that important. Just eat and you'll probably get the same end result.

aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aaronk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the all the responces. I think TheNamesChuck has it right, I'm probably just overthinking it.

Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000) Frannycakes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Get ****faced the night before, it worked for me.

XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XMX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just have something small and go light on the fats

carb up the night before

I got a 280 out of 300, one of my pull-ups didn't count. I came in at 20:25 on the run. New courses always throw me off and I forgot to wear my watch to keep pace. I should note, I definitely won't be drinking a protein shake again before any runs, I had a pretty bad stomach cramp. Next PFT I'll just stick with a piece of fruit, or maybe a protein bar or granola bar or something.