moonlite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sorry if this has been asked before...

I'm new here so I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere...

I found a routine that I'm going to try out but I heard that after about 6 weeks of one routine, your body gets used to it and it stops responding, even if you keep adding more weight. Is that true? It was hard enough for me to settle on one beginning routine among the thousands out there, I really don't want to have to search for new routines every six weeks! Are there any tips or strategies for overcoming this problem?

musclar smurfette Sunshineslynn's Avatar
    Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    I'm new here so I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere...

I found a routine that I'm going to try out but I heard that after about 6 weeks of one routine, your body gets used to it and it stops responding, even if you keep adding more weight. Is that true? It was hard enough for me to settle on one beginning routine among the thousands out there, I really don't want to have to search for new routines every six weeks! Are there any tips or strategies for overcoming this problem?
    I actually switch up every 8 weeks and take a week off from every thing that week

I rotate between three routines. I diary everything so I can check back periodically to see if I am progressing on the exercise in weight. You can also rotate your sets and reps week to week like one week do 5sets 5reps then next week 3sets 10 reps next week 2sets 20reps

hope that helps
    "You can't take some pill and hope your fat will jump off of you like you have the plague. You must work out and eat clean to have a lean, green, fighting machine." Sunshineslynn

'If you always do what you always did, then you will always get what you always do'

I dip, you dip, we all dip....dip to the east, dip to the west ......dip to get that tricep.

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your body doesn't really get 'used' to anything. But people like to switch programs because they get bored. And, its nice to work muscles in different ways. If you do periodization correctly, you don't have to worry so much about stalling.

It all depends on your goals. If you are on a mass building program, something like a 5x5 can last a year if done correctly.

moonlite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks to both of you for the advice! I will keep it in mind as I improve.

CynDaVaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CynDaVaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CynDaVaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CynDaVaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CynDaVaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CynDaVaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CynDaVaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
    I heard that after about 6 weeks of one routine, your body gets used to it and it stops responding, even if you keep adding more weight. Is that true?
    Well, if you do the same thing, day after day, week after week, without challenging yourself or tweaking the routine, then your body will figure out how to perform the exercises without expending the same amount of effort that it did the first time. But it's not that hard to keep variety (and challenge to your body) in your workout; something as small as rotating the order in which you exercise various bodyparts can work great!
    "I had no feelings about it. I'm merely attempting to optimize."
    John Preston - Equilibrium