musc1emadness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

best exercises to increase wrist width / grip strength?

I've been doing farmer's carry (DB) for half a year already, but my right hand grip is still the bottleneck when it comes to deadlifts (eventually only the fingers instead of the palm are gripping the bar).

Separately, my forearms have grown significantly but my wrist size has never changed. Is there any exercise that can improve that?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wrist size is unlikely to grow from muscle development.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think there's anything you can do about wrist width; that's just a matter of genetics. But it is normal to have slippage like that when you're near your maximal deadlift intensity. Your flexor digitorum (the part of your forearm which runs parallel to your extended palm) is the muscle which controls finger contraction, so strengthening that with other exercises and with continued deadlifting would be the best practical thing you can do to mitigate this issue.

In my own experience, I've hit stalling points with the deadlift where grip was an issue and then overcome them without doing these, but wrist curls are something which would specifically target this muscle. I have done farmer's walks, which will help build isometric strength (so would dead-hangs). Rows and pullups are about the only other exercises I do which challenge the grip but they're compounds in their own right and not necessarily the best way to specialize for a deadlift depending on your training regimen. My approach is pretty simplistic and I'm not advanced for my training age and bodyweight, but I've gotten through grip hurdles before by just continuing to focus on improving the heavy compounds.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by EliKoehn; 05-02-2023 at 05:42 PM.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Use straps.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    MyEgoProblem wrote here a while ago about Figure 8 straps, I bought a pair, and wow, they are good, much better than regular straps.

Wrist size - genetics. I have the same problem. Nothing you can do. There are some shady youtube videos that show how they increased their wrist size, by doing the classic forearm exercises, but I don't see how it works. maybe the veins and the tendons become thicker in time and some people see a change, but that change should be very small in difference.

Grip strength
    - fat gripz
    - dead hangs {you can program by hanging to towels, or use a fake grip for one arm - use only 3-4 fingers, then one arm hang, much more difficult}
    - grippers
    - barbell static holds
    - farmer walks
    - wrist roller
    - plate pinch holds
    - rice bucket thing

Or hook grip {might not work if you have small hands}, mixed grip
    Or just start climbing, those guys have strong grips

Also, this elitefts video came up in my list yesterday, this guy talks about pinkie and ring finger being the problem.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Use straps.
    "but but but... but straps will impede all your forearm growth, bro!"
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Funished renal houses in offeyvile Kanas for traveing wokers

itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100) itsannie is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's great to hear that you have been incorporating farmer's carries into your routine and seeing progress in your forearms. However, it's not uncommon to have one side of your body stronger than the other, which can create imbalances and limit your progress in certain exercises.

To address your grip strength, you may want to consider adding specific grip-strengthening exercises into your routine. These could include exercises such as towel pull-ups, plate pinches, and finger curls. Additionally, you may want to try using grip trainers or grippers to increase your grip strength.

Regarding your wrist size, it's important to note that wrist size is primarily determined by bone structure and genetics, and cannot be significantly increased through exercise alone. However, you can still work on building strength and size in your wrist and forearm muscles through exercises such as wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, and wrist extensions.

Remember to always focus on proper form and gradually increase weight and intensity to avoid injury. With consistent effort and dedication, you can continue to improve your grip strength and overall upper body strength.

Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100) Oliverflintt is not very well liked. (-100)
    I know how irritating it may be to want to lift greater weights or do particular workouts but your hands just can't keep up because I used to suffer with weak wrists and inadequate grip strength. I've tried a variety of routines and methods, and I've discovered that the exercises listed below have increased my wrist width and grip strength the most:

Farmer's Walks: This exercise entails walking for a predetermined distance or amount of time while holding heavy weights in both hands. It exercises not just your grip power but also your entire body.

Wrist Curls: You may strengthen your wrist flexors and extensors by practising wrist curls with a dumbbell or barbell. You can perform this exercise in a variety of positions, including sitting or standing.

Plate Pinches: Simply hold a weight plate in place with your fingers and thumb, and try to maintain it there as long as you can. Although it can be difficult, this exercise is excellent for strengthening the grip.

My wrist breadth and grip strength have significantly improved as a result of including these workouts in my daily workout regimen. Try them out and see whether they are effective for you.