melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Swapping OHP for lateral raises .. can it be done?

I have been lifting consistently for a solid 3 years now, I am veering off into the more physique side of lifting but keeping the foundation of my lifting heavy i.e. incline press, squat etc. I feel as if heavy inclines not only grows my chest but also my shoulders, I also do close grip bench press and work my rear delts twice a week. Is taking out OHP completely a dangerous move regarding shoulder health and do you think you could get bigger shoulders by just concentrating on lateral raises?

I think this topic has been discussed to death however would love to hear from anyone who has made the shift and what your results were as I haven't heard of anyone doing so yet.

Thanks in advance!

ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Change your grip to inward.. really saves ur shoulders. Use a bar that allows your palms to turn in toward your body

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Taking away compound movements should be done only as a last resort. There are many different ways to perform OHP. Ultimately however no exercise is mandatory
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ezjax View Post
    Change your grip to inward.. really saves ur shoulders. Use a bar that allows your palms to turn in toward your body
    Do you have a source for this? It seems extremely unlikely that reverse grip OHP is better for your shoulders. More likely it's worse.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good question.
    Yes and no.
    Depending on how big your delts are already would be a factor.
    Your right that the incline press does involve delts but what are you after when doing inclines?
    Most are trying to hit upper chest so shoulders come in to assist aren't a main focus.
    Taking out the OHP eliminates the upper arm moving from shoulder level to an overhead position.
    Most lateral raises only address a range up to shoulder level.
    That's why it depends on your current development.
    IMO most bodybuilders could always use a little more width and thickness on the delts.
    What you might try are one arm overhead presses with a DB or kettlebell.
    Hold the free hand to a rack to stabilize and focus on pressing trying to just use the delt and just go short of lockout.
    These are on of my favorites.
    If you can use a KB even better IMO because the center mass of the weight is behind the hand making in similar to a behind the neck press without shoulder rotation require on the BNP.
    You don't need a ton of sets if your doing other similar but different movement but just enough to hit that more vertical movement.

Chairman of the bored Postmort3m's Avatar
    Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Postmort3m has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Do you have a source for this? It seems extremely unlikely that reverse grip OHP is better for your shoulders. More likely it's worse.
    Think he means neutral grip
    ~Cobra Kai Crew~

>>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    A neutral grip Swiss bar will almost certainly free up mobility at the shoulder joint. Reverse grip, no

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've barely pressed in over a year cuz I preferred bench. Zero shoulder issues whatsoever.

However am now back to pressing and enjoying it, despite it being ridiculously weak as a result
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Postmort3m View Post
    Think he means neutral grip
    Ah, that makes sense, thank you. Agreed that a swiss bar will likely help.

melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    An arnold press with dumbbells does this? Not sure about it being more beneficial to shoulder health though.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Good question.
    Yes and no.
    Depending on how big your delts are already would be a factor.
    Your right that the incline press does involve delts but what are you after when doing inclines?
    Most are trying to hit upper chest so shoulders come in to assist aren't a main focus.
    Taking out the OHP eliminates the upper arm moving from shoulder level to an overhead position.
    Most lateral raises only address a range up to shoulder level.
    That's why it depends on your current development.
    IMO most bodybuilders could always use a little more width and thickness on the delts.
    What you might try are one arm overhead presses with a DB or kettlebell.
    Hold the free hand to a rack to stabilize and focus on pressing trying to just use the delt and just go short of lockout.
    These are on of my favorites.
    If you can use a KB even better IMO because the center mass of the weight is behind the hand making in similar to a behind the neck press without shoulder rotation require on the BNP.
    You don't need a ton of sets if your doing other similar but different movement but just enough to hit that more vertical movement.
    Funnily enough I used to do one arm dumbbell presses alot and they felt good! I have decided take OHP out for a month and see what results I get using side laterals, thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Taking away compound movements should be done only as a last resort. There are many different ways to perform OHP. Ultimately however no exercise is mandatory
    But I see no added benefit over say an Incline press when it comes to shoulders? Both excersises seem hit them equally hard.