ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I don't think my workout program is very good

Hello good people.

So I have been working out for almsost 2 years I think , it started with massive weight loss and now I am basically developing my body.

Over the 2 years, I have been seeing results, but not the results that I thought I would see.

First of all , I don't seem to be able to advance over a certain weight when doing chest exercises.. I have been stuck on a specific weight without being able to advance and that weight is 70 kilos. I weight about 81 kilos and I can't seem to advance and I don't know why, this leads me to believe that my plan is whack and I want some assitance in fine tuning it.

So my goal is: gain mass and up my body.

I am : 183 cm or 6".

My weight: 81 kilos or 178lb.

My workout routine : ABC.

Workout A: chest and triceps.

Exercise 1, Chest press using an olympic dumbell (20 kilos) - 4 sets 8-10 reps.
    Exercise 2, Incline chest press using an olympic dumbell (20 kilos) - 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 3, Chest press using dumbells - 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 4, Chest press machine or cables - 3 sets 8-10 reps.
    Exercise 5, Parallel bars for lower chest - 3 sets 8-10 reps

(Depending on what I want to work on , I change the sets from the normal chest press to the incline one for 3 to 4 and vice versa)

Triceps:

Exercise 1, EZ-bar skullcrusher 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 2, Dumbell overhead 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 3 Tricep pushdown 3 sets 8-10 reps

Workout B: Back and biceps

Exercise 1, Hyperexentions 4 sets 10 reps
    Exercise 2, Pulling machine long bar 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 3, Rowing machine 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 4, Reverse fly using a machine 3 sets 8-10 reps

Biceps:

Exercise 1, Bar curl 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 2, Dumbell bicep curl 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 3, Hammer curl 3 sets 8-10 reps

Workout C: Legs and shoulders

Exercise 1, Squats using an olympic bar (20 kilos) 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 2, Leg pressing machine 3 sets 10 reps
    Exercise 3, Lunges using a pillow and walking 2 sets 10 reps for leach leg.
    Exercise 4, Lying leg curls 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 5, Smith machine calf rise 3 sets 8-10 reps

Shoulders:

Exercise 1, Seated shoulder press using dumbells 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 2, Reverse flyers 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Exercise 3, Front 2 dumbell raise 3 sets 8-10 reps

So this is my workout, I feel that it's not working to be quite honest I've been feeling my chest pressing weights decrease due to lack of power for some reason.

Do I need to modify something? would love to get suggestions.

Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm no pro, but you can definitely work each body part multiple times per week with for example full body or upper/lower.
    You can also maybe benefit from a program that tells you when and how much weight to add + what to do when you reach a plateau (dropping weight with 15% and then up it again for example).

You can maybe take a look at the Fierce 5 topic. There is a sticky and another thread ("Fierce 5" Comprehensive Program List)
    There is a written out Intermediate Upper/Lower program that may be interesting for you?
    I can't post links to the topics yet, so you will have to search a bit.

Or just take a look at the other stickies. You will learn a lot when reading them and all the programs are well written.
    Last edited by Celf; 06-24-2018 at 04:21 AM.

ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShlomiU will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Celf View Post
    I'm no pro, but you can definitely work each body part multiple times per week with for example full body or upper/lower.
    You can also maybe benefit from a program that tells you when and how much weight to add + what to do when you reach a plateau (dropping weight with 15% and then up it again for example).

You can maybe take a look at the Fierce 5 topic. There is a sticky and another thread ("Fierce 5" Comprehensive Program List)
    There is a written out Intermediate Upper/Lower program that may be interesting for you?
    I can't post links to the topics yet, so you will have to search a bit.

Or just take a look at the other stickies. You will learn a lot when reading them and all the programs are well written.
    The Fierce 5 program is for beginners.. I've been working out for almost 2 years surly I can do better than that.

Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000) Ben0090 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ShlomiU View Post
    The Fierce 5 program is for beginners.. I've been working out for almost 2 years surly I can do better than that.
    Better? Novice is the best time for progress for anyone, anything after could be considered worse Training time doesnt dictate novice/intermediate/advanced. I've been in the gym on and off for 4 years and I'm still a novice.
    Anyway, Fierce 5 has an intermediate version, as does vikings.
    FMH Crew resident manlet

Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Celf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That's why I mentioned the upper/lower for intermediates and the other stickies. Lots of information there!

Besides that, it all depends what you call a beginner or novice. Some people will say you are still a novice if you can't bench 225 pounds. Please don't think you are better because you are working out for 2 years.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Well, I don't like that workout plan and would never do it myself...but before a dressing the workout itself what about the other aspects of your progress?

First, you have to be honest about your genetic potential. Some people aren't gifted to gain a lot of muscle fast. If your skelliton structure is small, waist is wide, shoulders are narrow, muscle attachments are short, ect., ect. It might just take you longer to get from point A to point B. Genetics determine about 50% of your success.

Next, you didn't mention anything about your diet. Many people who aren't making progress aren't as focused on thier diet as they need to be. Are you eating for your goals? Do you count your calories and macros? Weigh your food? Make proper food choices? After genetics, your diet is even moreimportant than the actual specifics of your routine (assuming your working any kind of program hard).

Finally, how about your recovery? Are you getting a good night sleep? Are you giving your body enough time to recover and grow between your workouts? Are you doing too much physical activity during the day or additional cardio? Is your life filled with stress? All these things will affect your progress as well.

Finally, your program. I may have missed it, but the frequency has a lot to do with this. If this is a 3 day a week "bro-split" it's not enough frequency, and if it's a 6 day a week "P/P/L" it's way too much volume/frequency for you.

To keep things simple, If you've been at it hard for 2 years, are honestly beyond a beginners program (have already built considerable strength and proper form on the big Moves...be honest), then I would recommend this:

https://www.tigerfitness.com/article...rkout-routine/

If you think that looks too easy, or don't think it's hard enough...then you haven't really learned how to push your intensity level, and should go back and do a beginners program. This program should kick your but.

If your genetics aren't pathetic, if your diet is in check, and if you are getting enough recovery time...then it really comes down to your grit! Are you dedicated and consistant? Are you really pushing it hard (not just going through the motions)? Are you using progression to get just a little better each workout (more weight, less, rest, more reps...even just 1).

Hope some of that helps. Good luck.

I see, well by these definitions I am a complete novice haha

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Well, I don't like that workout plan and would never do it myself...but before a dressing the workout itself what about the other aspects of your progress?

First, you have to be honest about your genetic potential. Some people aren't gifted to gain a lot of muscle fast. If your skelliton structure is small, waist is wide, shoulders are narrow, muscle attachments are short, ect., ect. It might just take you longer to get from point A to point B. Genetics determine about 50% of your success.

Next, you didn't mention anything about your diet. Many people who aren't making progress aren't as focused on thier diet as they need to be. Are you eating for your goals? Do you count your calories and macros? Weigh your food? Make proper food choices? After genetics, your diet is even moreimportant than the actual specifics of your routine (assuming your working any kind of program hard).

Finally, how about your recovery? Are you getting a good night sleep? Are you giving your body enough time to recover and grow between your workouts? Are you doing too much physical activity during the day or additional cardio? Is your life filled with stress? All these things will affect your progress as well.

Finally, your program. I may have missed it, but the frequency has a lot to do with this. If this is a 3 day a week "bro-split" it's not enough frequency, and if it's a 6 day a week "P/P/L" it's way too much volume/frequency for you.

To keep things simple, If you've been at it hard for 2 years, are honestly beyond a beginners program (have already built considerable strength and proper form on the big Moves...be honest), then I would recommend this:

If you think that looks too easy, or don't think it's hard enough...then you haven't really learned how to push your intensity level, and should go back and do a beginners program. This program should kick your but.

If your genetics aren't pathetic, if your diet is in check, and if you are getting enough recovery time...then it really comes down to your grit! Are you dedicated and consistant? Are you really pushing it hard (not just going through the motions)? Are you using progression to get just a little better each workout (more weight, less, rest, more reps...even just 1).

Hope some of that helps. Good luck.
    1. I am eating properly, I don't weigh my food because I already know how much protien and caloris is in my meals ( I used to weigh )

2. I'm definitely not resting enough.

3. I am a big fella , I have a large bone structure, my shoulders are wide, my waist is also quite wide but that's because of the excess skin that's on it ( I lost a lot of weight in the past ).

I don't like that program as well, that's why i'm here.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    1. I am eating properly, I don't weigh my food because I already know how much protien and caloris is in my meals ( I used to weigh )

2. I'm definitely not resting enough.

3. I am a big fella , I have a large bone structure, my shoulders are wide, my waist is also quite wide but that's because of the excess skin that's on it ( I lost a lot of weight in the past ).

I don't like that program as well, that's why i'm here.
    Diet is an ever changing scale, it's not a constant. As you weight, goals, and body composition change, so must your diet. Without proper fuel, there is no growth.

Proper rest (combined with your personal balance of frequency, intensity, and volume) is imperative. Without recovery time, there is no growth.

If your looking for a "magic" program...you won't find one, especially when you don't really know your body yet (this is easily assessed by your questions and lack of progress).

IMHO, if you get diet and rest in check, and you do the program I recommended with dedication and consistance and 100% effort (really, 100%+), I can guarantee you will see progress in strength, appearance, or both in 3-6 months.

But that's just one man's opinion. I hate the hodge twins...but fill in thier catch phrase here (I feel like I've typed to much already)...

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    And yet, this two years has been spent, as you're beginning to realize, on an un-optimal program.

Whether you're a novice or not is determined by HOW MUCH weight you lift, not how long you've been lifting it. Your bench is NOVICE level. How much (including bar) do you squat?

Diet is an ever changing scale, it's not a constant. As you weight, goals, and body composition change, so must your diet. Without proper fuel, there is no growth.

Proper rest (combined with your personal balance of frequency, intensity, and volume) is imperative. Without recovery time, there is no growth.

If your looking for a "magic" program...you won't find one, especially when you don't really know your body yet (this is easily assessed by your questions and lack of progress).

IMHO, if you get diet and rest in check, and you do the program I recommended with dedication and consistance and 100% effort (really, 100%+), I can guarantee you will see progress in strength, appearance, or both in 3-6 months.

But that's just one man's opinion. I hate the hodge twins...but fill in thier catch phrase here (I feel like I've typed to much already)...
    First of all , I didn't mean to offend anyone with the whole "I'm not a noob " , obviously I am lacking and these last 2 years have been proving it. I need to get better and I hope to get the necessary guidance I here .

the program you've recommended is full body - usually associated with beginners.

Right now I've been going to the gym 4 times a week , and this program aims at 3 times a week.. also as this is full body I'm not focusing on a group of muscles but rather all the muscles, isn't that lacking compared to a more individual muscle program ?

And to the guy who asked about the squats:

As of now I'm lifting 80 kilos including the bar.

the program you've recommended is full body - usually associated with beginners.

Right now I've been going to the gym 4 times a week , and this program aims at 3 times a week.. also as this is full body I'm not focusing on a group of muscles but rather all the muscles, isn't that lacking compared to a more individual muscle program ?.
    Sigh. I sort of feel like I'm wasting my time.

I (and many other guys) have been doing primarily full body routines for the last 4 years, and have made my best progress. My routines are very similar, and I have descent size, strength, and aesthetics for my genetic structure.

Look at bodybuilders from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, before steroids became prevent (and the high volume splits promoted by Arnold and other guys on juice). The majority of them did 3 day a week full body splits thier entire career (look up guys like Clancy Ross, Steve Reeves, Reg Park, John Grimeck, and many more)...those are physiques guys would kill for! Tell them that full body routines are for beginners.

The guy who designed that program is wicked strong, and has a very powerful build...and honestly, I recommended that one because you seem to think you are beyond a beginners strength program (which you probably aren't), and this is a more dynamic schedule.

It doesn't matter how many times you go to the gym, or even your split...what matters (I feel like a broken record) is finding out how much volume you can handle (how many sets and how much weight) and how long it takes you to recover before your next workout.

You don't know any of these things about your body...or you would be progressing.

A full body is the best place to start to learn this, as it's very easy to modify sets and weights and days off until you find the sweet spot to build from.

Also..if you can do those full body workouts without feeling tanked, you simply aren't tapping into your strength and endurance to push every set for all its worth.

I really don't know what else to say at this point. Right now your either thinking about this...or disregarding everything I'm saying as BS. I wish you the best in your goals and hope you find the answers you want to hear.
    Last edited by grubman; 06-24-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Sigh. I sort of fellow like I'm wasting my time.

I (and many other guys) have been doing primarily full body routines for the last 4 years, and have made my best progress. My routines are very similar, and I have descent size, strength, and aesthetics for my genetic structure.

Look at bodybuilders from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, before steroids became prevent (and the high volume splits promoted by Arnold and other guys on juice). The majority of them did 3 day a week full body splits thier entire career (look up guys like Clancy Ross, Steve Reeves, Reg Park, John Grimeck, and many more)...those are physiques guys would kill for! Tell them that full body routines are for beginners.

The guy who designed that program is wicked strong, and has a very powerful build...and honestly, I recommended that one because you seem to think you are beyond a beginners strength program (which you probably aren't), and this is a more dynamic schedule.

It doesn't matter how many times you go to the gym, or even your split...what matters (I feel like a broken record) is finding out how much volume you can handle (how many sets and how much weight) and how long it takes you to recover before your next workout.

You don't know any of these things about your body...or you would be progressing.

A full body is the best place to start to learn this, as it's very easy to modify sets and weights and days off until you find the sweet spot to build from.

Also..if you can do those full body workouts without feeling tanked, you simply aren't tapping into your strength and endurance to push every set for all its worth.

I really don't know what else to say at this point. Right now your either thinking about this...or disregarding everything I'm saying as BS. I wish you the best in your goals and hope you find the answers you want to hear.
    No of course not man, I am grateful for you taking the time to explain all of the basics to me.

The thing is, where I'm from , full body routines are considered as beginner crap and not worth investing a lot of time over.

They drill it in our heads, the idiots over at the gym who call themselves coaches , the big big steroid using people in the gym, everyone.

Like I've said, I've been training for 2 years now.. I got injured countless times and I had to endure a lot of crap to get to where I'm at today.. and I have made a lot of progress compared to where I've started.. and because of that mentality and my ego, "dropping" to full body program is a difficult thing for me to do.

I am going to try the program you've suggested, I hope I can reach the full potential of it because I really do want to improve more.

Also, the reason why I'm so pretty lacking in knowledge is because the trainers at the gyms in my city are trash, all they care about is money.. you want to get more specific? pay me 20$ for a "counseling" session.

You want me to be by your side for 5 minutes to tell if you're injuring yourself because you're training like an idiot? pay me 100$ for a session and etc' etc'.. so I guess I had to rely on my own and the internet of course (which is not always easy because English is not my first language), so understanding a lot of the stuff that are being written in these forums is difficult for me because in my language they have different names, everything is different in my language tbh.
    I've been doing my chest bench press wrong for so much time now, and I've put so much strain on my rotator cuff that I am pretty sure something is busted in there, and it's all because these ****ing idiots never bothered to tell me that I'm lifting with my elbows.

Anyways thanks for your advice.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it makes you feel better most people don’t advance past beginner stage when you look at strength standard charts. If you don’t like the idea of doing full body then I’d suggest upper lower.

cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What do you squat, bench and deadlift?
    Read the fukcing stickies!

S/B/D/P
    565/385/600/270

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175988921

Originally Posted by cornman99 View Post
    What do you squat, bench and deadlift?
    I currently don't deadlift because of lacking technique , I squat 176lbs , and I bench 154lb.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I don't think my workout program is very good

Neither do I:

All good programs have at their core progressive training a few big basic barbell movements based on natural human movements that use the most muscle mass:

Squat:

That includes high bar deep squats(aka Olympic squats, since that's the way Olympic lifters do them...because they have to use a deep squat to catch the clean before the jerk, and catch the snatch overhead before recovering with a bottom up overhead squat, OR low bar parallel squats(hip crease below top of knee), OR ONE OF any number of variations...

Push:

Press, push press, incline(more 'functional' along with overhead press than flat bench if you want to push people around on the field), flat bench.

Pull:

Whole-body pulls like deadlift, power clean, power snatch etc are usually programmed as Lower body movements. Whereas upper body pulls like rows are naturally programmed as Upper body movements...and are no substitute for the deadlift or its relatives.

A lot of people note the big overlap between the deadlift and squat. The Trap Bar deadlift, is more like a squat than conventional dead, Stiff leg dead uses a lot less leg and a lot more back, and is often treated as an assistance movement, done for high reps(20 is about right).

If you did one type of barbell squat, one type of deadlift, one type of overhead press, maybe a bench/incline(horizontal push, usually balanced by rows), and trained progressively for two years, using real programming like 5 3 1, you'd be squatting(to break parallel) a lot more than 80kg.

Your 'program' seems designed to mess up your posture and shoulder health: For every set of a big upper body push(bench, incline, overhead), you should have at least one set, and better yet two sets of big upper body pull like rows or chins.

You might benefit hugely from dropping most of your pressing in favor of ONE vertical, ie overhead press with a barbell(dumbbells are assistance, seriously) and doing twenty rep facepulls every time you train, to undo the damage of the last couple years. After a while you can include a horizontal push(barbell bench OR incline).

You have no deadlift at all, nor anything remotely like it(clean, snatch).

Assistance:

Everything after your big 3, 4, or 5 main movements can be considered assistance work. This includes pretty much all machine work, dumbbell work, including curls, pushdowns, pulldowns(for volume of vertical pulls if you can't chin enough reps), grip work, neck work, calves, abs etc. Great if you are progressing in the big basics. Crap if the effort expended on the less important stuff cuts into(or stalls, or even reverses) progress in the stuff that matters. Don't 'major in the minors' as Jim Wendler(5 3 1) would advise. Assistance work is for balance, shoulder health, bring up weak parts, etc.

Your 'program' is mostly assistance work that doesn't really have to be programmed at all, and hardly any of the big basic barbell work that absolutely should be programmed: 5 3 1, Fierce 5, Greyskull, Texas Method.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Lift well and prosper.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    You've locked yourself into working everything at 8-10 reps. Not going to criticize it. But everyone's muscles respond a little differently-depending on the goal. And you don't want to work you legs the same way you work your back or chest. Anything, however, is better than nothing.

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Neither do I:

All good programs have at their core progressive training a few big basic barbell movements based on natural human movements that use the most muscle mass:

Squat:

That includes high bar deep squats(aka Olympic squats, since that's the way Olympic lifters do them...because they have to use a deep squat to catch the clean before the jerk, and catch the snatch overhead before recovering with a bottom up overhead squat, OR low bar parallel squats(hip crease below top of knee), OR ONE OF any number of variations...

Push:

Press, push press, incline(more 'functional' along with overhead press than flat bench if you want to push people around on the field), flat bench.

Pull:

Whole-body pulls like deadlift, power clean, power snatch etc are usually programmed as Lower body movements. Whereas upper body pulls like rows are naturally programmed as Upper body movements...and are no substitute for the deadlift or its relatives.

A lot of people note the big overlap between the deadlift and squat. The Trap Bar deadlift, is more like a squat than conventional dead, Stiff leg dead uses a lot less leg and a lot more back, and is often treated as an assistance movement, done for high reps(20 is about right).

If you did one type of barbell squat, one type of deadlift, one type of overhead press, maybe a bench/incline(horizontal push, usually balanced by rows), and trained progressively for two years, using real programming like 5 3 1, you'd be squatting(to break parallel) a lot more than 80kg.

Your 'program' seems designed to mess up your posture and shoulder health: For every set of a big upper body push(bench, incline, overhead), you should have at least one set, and better yet two sets of big upper body pull like rows or chins.

You might benefit hugely from dropping most of your pressing in favor of ONE vertical, ie overhead press with a barbell(dumbbells are assistance, seriously) and doing twenty rep facepulls every time you train, to undo the damage of the last couple years. After a while you can include a horizontal push(barbell bench OR incline).

You have no deadlift at all, nor anything remotely like it(clean, snatch).

Assistance:

Everything after your big 3, 4, or 5 main movements can be considered assistance work. This includes pretty much all machine work, dumbbell work, including curls, pushdowns, pulldowns(for volume of vertical pulls if you can't chin enough reps), grip work, neck work, calves, abs etc. Great if you are progressing in the big basics. Crap if the effort expended on the less important stuff cuts into(or stalls, or even reverses) progress in the stuff that matters. Don't 'major in the minors' as Jim Wendler(5 3 1) would advise. Assistance work is for balance, shoulder health, bring up weak parts, etc.

Your 'program' is mostly assistance work that doesn't really have to be programmed at all, and hardly any of the big basic barbell work that absolutely should be programmed: 5 3 1, Fierce 5, Greyskull, Texas Method.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Lift well and prosper.
    To be honest I had a really hard time understanding what you meant , or rather it's hard for me to express it in words since my English is not all that great when it comes to gym titles and stuff..

But what you basically meant is that I need to drop a lot of my pressing and add more overhead stuff with less dumbells and more barbells, I need to include deadlift in my workout.

Also, how does facepulls undo the damage that accumulated in my body over the years? (there is definitely damage , my left rotator cuff hurts like hell when I try to do a specific movement backwards).

I'm going to use this program that @grubman suggested.

I know it's way better than my lame program that's for sure.

cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000) cornman99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I currently don't deadlift because of lacking technique , I squat 176lbs , and I bench 154lb.
    then you're still a beginner. learn how to do the deadlift properly then
    Read the fukcing stickies!

S/B/D/P
    565/385/600/270

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175988921

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    But what you basically meant is that I need to drop a lot of my pressing and add more overhead stuff with less dumbells and more barbells, I need to include deadlift in my workout.
    Sounds about right.

Also, how does facepulls undo the damage that accumulated in my body over the years? (there is definitely damage , my left rotator cuff hurts like hell when I try to do a specific movement backwards).
    I tried all the recommended little isolation movements specifically for rotator cuff rehab: L-Fly, leaning forward L-Fly, Lying L-Fly. They were garbage for me. Facepulls are a much more natural movement, tie-in with a lot more big movements, and really worked:

The main thing is to fix the 'computer man'/Mr Burns(The Simpsons) shoulder forward posture. If your scapulae(shoulderblades) are angled forward, then you will always get impingement when you try to put anything overhead. Even raising my arm hurt my shoulders.

Every time you notice your shoulders slumped forward(like now, while typing), consciously roll them back, and 'try to put your shoulder blades in your back pockets. Bradford Presses with a broomhandle(alternating press in front, and behind the neck) works wonders as well. When you can Bradford press even the Olympic barbell(45lbs) for 20 reps(40 presses total, 20 in front, 20 from off the traps behind the neck) without any pain, then your shoulder issues will have been corrected. In the meantime, twenty rep(or more) facepulls are the business for correcting shoulder imbalances:

Use a rope on the pulldown machine. Stand far back enough that when you are holding the rope ends in the start position, your shoulders are protracted(scapulae rolled forward). Pull back at face height and finish with hands on each side of the head, elbows down. This involves a so called 'external rotation'. Pause at the peak contraction(this helps the 'mind-muscle connection'...you'll know when your shoulders are doing something right/wrong when this improves). Your shoulders will be retracted at this position. Repeat at least nineteen more times for that set.

I'm going to use this program that @grubman suggested.
    Best of luck.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Blazerboy777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The deadlift is a pretty big one to completely leave out. Your body takes time to heal, if it hurts and warm ups don't help, I can't imagine it'd be good to aggravate. My rotators are problematic, I like to do 2 - 3 warm up sets with little / no weight and go up slow from there, if I go too fast it causes pain, mainly on any form of chest exercise. That's just what works for me. Can't comment on the other stuff.
    Dedication is all fine and dandy, but knowing what to dedicate yourself to is the real kicker. I know this from personal experience, dedicating the wee hours of my night to Rocky Road consumption.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi ShlomiU,

Let me mention something that I hope will help. Forget for a moment whether you consider yourself to be a novice, intermediate or advanced, obviously you haven't just started training you have a couple of years in this already.

However, when you see a program described as novice or intermediate program it doesn't quite match what everyone expects.

When people describe a "novice" program what they actually mean is a program that gives fast linear progression (for example: adding a little weight to the bar each session). But Intermediate programs progress more slowly. "Novice" program doesn't mean a program only suitable for people who've never been in a gym before!

Sure the fast novice progression can't work forever, and isn't suitable in many situations especially many intermediate and advanced trainees (no brainer... considering the name of program) . But this is a really good - and fastest - approach for people who are intermediate and returning from injury or not made any gains for a while.

These people benefit from reducing the weight (yep, reducing!) and then following a novice program for the fast linear progression to get back in the gainz elevator. I mean fast progression ??who doesn't want that right??

So when someone here says something like stop what you are doing and run a novice program like: StrongLifts, Starting Strength, Fierce5 etc, it's good advice. Not because you are a beginner and not lifted before, but because it will give your body a huge kick in the butt and get you gaining again.

If you want to boost those lifts like your bench, try using one of the 3 programs I mentioned above (StrongLifts has a free phone app!).

Enjoy...
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 07-07-2018 at 05:09 AM.