katestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio and weight training

I'm finally back at it! After 3 babies (a 3 year old and twins born this May), I am finally back to working out and a routine. I am female, 35, 5'3. I was sick most of the last pregnancy (morning sickness and other things) so I only gained 35 lbs with the twins. I started the pregnancy at 128lb and was around 130lbs within 3 weeks of having the boys. Since about end of August, I've started a fitness routine, but I've only been doing cardio. I am now running 4.5 miles twice a week, a 6 mile run once a week and two 60 mins spin classes (we bought a spin bike and I use an app at home). I also walk 2 miles to get my daughter from school about 4 times a week (pushing a double stroller . Due to this and the fact that I've had no time to pay attention to my eating, I'm down to 118lbs. I know, too much, too fast, but it just kind of happened. I'm at a point now where I need to start doing some strength training. I don't want to lose more weight, but I do want to transform some of this fat into some muscle.

However, I was a runner prior to all this baby stuff and I'm enjoying it immensely again now. I love the longer distances 5+ miles. I also love the spin classes. I've read the posts on here and from what I know from the past, cardio and gaining muscle don't exactly mix. I want to start back with my full body routine, outlined below - any comments on that greatly appreciated. One note, I don't go to a gym, but I do have a Bowflex weight set where it's just two barbells and you adjust the weight to what you need. What can I do about the cardio? I really don't want to give it up!

Full Body Routine

Squats
    Bent over barbell rows
    Barbell curls
    Bench press
    Calf raises
    Barbell press
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Ab routine

kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by katestar View Post
    I'm finally back at it! After 3 babies (a 3 year old and twins born this May), I am finally back to working out and a routine. I am female, 35, 5'3. I was sick most of the last pregnancy (morning sickness and other things) so I only gained 35 lbs with the twins. I started the pregnancy at 128lb and was around 130lbs within 3 weeks of having the boys. Since about end of August, I've started a fitness routine, but I've only been doing cardio. I am now running 4.5 miles twice a week, a 6 mile run once a week and two 60 mins spin classes (we bought a spin bike and I use an app at home). I also walk 2 miles to get my daughter from school about 4 times a week (pushing a double stroller . Due to this and the fact that I've had no time to pay attention to my eating, I'm down to 118lbs. I know, too much, too fast, but it just kind of happened. I'm at a point now where I need to start doing some strength training. I don't want to lose more weight, but I do want to transform some of this fat into some muscle.

However, I was a runner prior to all this baby stuff and I'm enjoying it immensely again now. I love the longer distances 5+ miles. I also love the spin classes. I've read the posts on here and from what I know from the past, cardio and gaining muscle don't exactly mix. I want to start back with my full body routine, outlined below - any comments on that greatly appreciated. One note, I don't go to a gym, but I do have a Bowflex weight set where it's just two barbells and you adjust the weight to what you need. What can I do about the cardio? I really don't want to give it up!

Full Body Routine

Squats
    Bent over barbell rows
    Barbell curls
    Bench press
    Calf raises
    Barbell press
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Ab routine
    You dont have to give it up but you do need to eat to support all of the training.
    Check out the calorie and macro stickies in the nutrition section
    Owner of So-B-Fit
    CPT

IG: stephaniesobien

NPC WPD and WNPF, Metal Militia powerlifter

kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh and honestly your routine is a little imbalanced. You could get rid of the curls and maybe even the calf raises and get another back exercise in for example
    Owner of So-B-Fit
    CPT

IG: stephaniesobien

NPC WPD and WNPF, Metal Militia powerlifter

mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pullups and/or lat pulldowns (pretty sure you can accomplish this with Bowflex) to replace curls. These will work biceps and tricpes as well as the back. Also, for rows, I alternate grip (some sets overhand some sets underhand) to target the biceps a bit more.
    Instagram: @doctorv17

Originally Posted by mavd View Post
    Pullups and/or lat pulldowns (pretty sure you can accomplish this with Bowflex) to replace curls. These will work biceps and tricpes as well as the back. Also, for rows, I alternate grip (some sets overhand some sets underhand) to target the biceps a bit more.
    I don't have a bowflex machine, but rather the weight set. I would love to do lat pulldowns, but I can't with just weights. I'll check out the stickies and see if I can put together something better - I'm not married to this routine and I hate calf raises anyway.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't have a bowflex machine, but rather the weight set. I would love to do lat pulldowns, but I can't with just weights. I'll check out the stickies and see if I can put together something better - I'm not married to this routine and I hate calf raises anyway.
    So you will need to find a pulling exercise you can perform - doorway chinup bars are cheap and chin ups are an excellent back workout. Bent over row is also excellent.

I would skip isolation exercises at this point like bicep curl. And add an overhead press.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    So you will need to find a pulling exercise you can perform - doorway chinup bars are cheap and chin ups are an excellent back workout. Bent over row is also excellent.

I would skip isolation exercises at this point like bicep curl. And add an overhead press.
    Thanks. If I could ask you, you seem knowledgeable about this. Could you put together the set of exercises you think would be appropriate. I looked through the stickies but this site has changed a lot since I've been on it last. I could find just a general beginner workout without gym machines. If you don't mind, I would totally appreciate it. The pull up bar is a great idea. Used to have one, but got lost in a move. I'll pick one up this weekend.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks. If I could ask you, you seem knowledgeable about this. Could you put together the set of exercises you think would be appropriate. I looked through the stickies but this site has changed a lot since I've been on it last. I could find just a general beginner workout without gym machines. If you don't mind, I would totally appreciate it. The pull up bar is a great idea. Used to have one, but got lost in a move. I'll pick one up this weekend.
    I guess I'm not entirely clear on what equipment you have available to you. So you have 2 barbells? Like, 2 standard, straight barbells? And how much weight in plates do you have? You have some tiny plates (like 5 lbs) on up to 45's? Do you have any sort of a squat rack or bench?

So a full body routine would consist of legs, pushing and pulling.

Legs-
    squats and deadlifts

Pushing-
    You'll want a horizontal and a vertical push, so overhead press and a bench press or incline press

Pulling-
    Same here. Horizontal and vertical pull
    chin ups/assisted chin ups (with a chair), bent over row

I'd do this routine 3 x per week, 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps.

There are tons of variations on the above lifts and accessory stuff you can add later on... zercher squat, front squat, overhead squat, Romanian Deadlift, good mornings, BB step ups, BB lunge, single arm row (you can do this with a BB), Bradford press, etc. But honestly I wouldn't worry about adding anything or changing anything up until you perfect the basic moves.

Once you feel comfortable and confident, and assuming you have enough weights to work with, you can start incorporating some strength work - working in the 4-6 rep range with heavier weights.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    I guess I'm not entirely clear on what equipment you have available to you. So you have 2 barbells? Like, 2 standard, straight barbells? And how much weight in plates do you have? You have some tiny plates (like 5 lbs) on up to 45's? Do you have any sort of a squat rack or bench?

So a full body routine would consist of legs, pushing and pulling.

Legs-
    squats and deadlifts

Pushing-
    You'll want a horizontal and a vertical push, so overhead press and a bench press or incline press

Pulling-
    Same here. Horizontal and vertical pull
    chin ups/assisted chin ups (with a chair), bent over row

I'd do this routine 3 x per week, 3-4 sets, 8-10 reps.

There are tons of variations on the above lifts and accessory stuff you can add later on... zercher squat, front squat, overhead squat, Romanian Deadlift, good mornings, BB step ups, BB lunge, single arm row (you can do this with a BB), Bradford press, etc. But honestly I wouldn't worry about adding anything or changing anything up until you perfect the basic moves.

Once you feel comfortable and confident, and assuming you have enough weights to work with, you can start incorporating some strength work - working in the 4-6 rep range with heavier weights.
    Thanks! The barbell set goes from 5lbs to 55lbs. I do have a bench that reclines. I'm getting the pull up bar. No other equipment. I really appreciate your feedback.