Registered User mixmasterhotkar's Avatar
    mixmasterhotkar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mixmasterhotkar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mixmasterhotkar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

urinating frequently

hey all,

just wanted to get your thoughts on urinating alot. i drink lots of water during and after my workout like i heard one should. i take pre-workout supps and want to flush them out because the doctor said they bad to sit in your kidneys. so i am saying i drink water alot after my workout and throughout the day, but i was wondering if going to much is bad because it flushing out needed nutrients the body needs?

thanks
    My current stack:

ON Whey
    Superpump 250
    Creatine mono
    fish oil
    daily multi

jkbanman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jkbanman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drink 1-2 gallons of water a day. Your body will not flush out nutrients just because you are peeing alot... You will be flushing out the toxins from your body that are created during weight lifting sessions and from weight loss. Considering a large percentage of our bodies are made up of water we need a constant source to replenish those stores.

shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) shan123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mixmasterhotkar View Post
    hey all,

just wanted to get your thoughts on urinating alot. i drink lots of water during and after my workout like i heard one should. i take pre-workout supps and want to flush them out because the doctor said they bad to sit in your kidneys. so i am saying i drink water alot after my workout and throughout the day, but i was wondering if going to much is bad because it flushing out needed nutrients the body needs?

thanks
    there is a certian point that your body can get "too" much water. basically increased blood volume=diluted blood= sodium, potassium and magnesium inbalances. there is a such thing as water toxiticy. this is pretty hard to actually do though unless you drink a few gallons all at once. as long as you're eating nutritious food and taking a multivitamin, your body should have what it needs of these electrolytes. if you notice yourself drinking more and feeling lightheaded, maybe waking up with muscle cramps or spasms in the middle of the night, you might want to consider geting electrolyte replacement drinks or even pills (ive seen them at supp stores). i had this same problem a while back and have actually had to consciously add some salt to my food and eat 1/2 a banana every day to keep from waking up with muscle spasms in the middle of the night. for me drinking water is the only thing that keeps me from mindless snacking and overeating. that being said i weight 108lbs and drink sometimes over 3 gallons of water a day, not even counting the few cups of coffee i drink also. and yes, i do pee almost every 20 minutes. its a cross i have to bear at this point in my life, although it does really suck. i wouldnt sweat it, as long as the water you drink is spaced throughout the day to some degree and you eat healthy.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You have to be drinking barely any water for anything to be "sitting in" your kidneys. Once stuff gets filtered and sent to your bladder, it doesn't come back up. Usually, that is where it "sits." Of course, when that happens, that leads to gall stones.

As far as nutrients, the same sort of applies. Your body will almost always find ways to use up the things it needs. If your body regularly doesn't get what it needs, it will attempt to compensate (which usually leads to disorders of sorts). But you would have to drinking a lot (around 3-4 gallons a day) to be causing problems. Most bbers drink around 1-2 gallons depending on how often they are sweating.

Like food, water is a tool. You really only need more based on what you're doing. If you are an average healthy person and sit on your ass all day, it is doubtful you really need to be downing 2 gallons a day.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a rule of thumb. I drink until my pee is clear, or when I'm thirsty. If my last pee was clear and I'm not thirsty, I don't guzzle down a gallon of water.

seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) seanb1979 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have a problem with having to piss all the time so I know where you're coming from. Not sure what my issue is but I drink 3 gallons or so of fluids a day, give or take.
    A million miles away - I don't.. feel.... anything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXGZu4yxjW0

Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeclavad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ~1 gallon of water a day --> bathroom every 30 mn.
    'Bodybuilders are mortally afraid of muscle loss while simultaneously being afraid of eating carbs at night which is a key tactic that can enhance lean mass preservation' A.Aragon

Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jeclavad View Post
    The man speaks the truth ;-)
    :)

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BookMonkey View Post
    Once stuff gets filtered and sent to your bladder, it doesn't come back up. Usually, that is where it "sits." Of course, when that happens, that leads to gall stones.
    Wrong bladder.

To the OP: drink when you're actually thirsty and see how it works for you.
    No sir, I don't like it.

eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jeclavad View Post
    absolute truth. I try and cut down though a few hours before i go to bed though so im not waking up 4-5 times at night.

ITSTYLER123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I thinks its pre workout that does it. Ive been slightly concerned myseld about this issue. I only have this problem if i take preworkout. Ive urinate like 4 times in an hr

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The drink a gallon per day advice is a total myth.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Drink fluids when you eat, stay hydrated before and during workouts, and sip when you're thirsty. There's no point in over-hydrating.

If your pee is coming out clear as water (might be bright yellow if there's b-complex vitamins in your supps) then you need to slow down on the water chugging. A light lemonade tint to the urine is a sign of euhydration. Another rule of thumb is that if you're maintaining your bodyweight within a 2% window during your workouts, you're not losing performance related to dehydration.

As far as the kidney comment... well there's no evidence to show that individuals with otherwise healthy kidneys are going to damage them by taking ingredients commonly found in pre workout supps (caffeine, citruline, beta-alanine, etc.)

Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000) Connor1226 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I drink approx a gallon of water per day not counting the coffee I drink (best guess around 20oz per day normally, ****ty days its probably like 60 lol)

I dont track how often I pee but I'd guess around once an hour and a half? Its not a lot.

Hydration is important. I'm prone to getting gut issues if I don't drink a lot. Also you need to for glycogen replenishment and to build mass.

Although I think your logic is screwed up. If you think pre workouts are inhealthy, stop drinking them don't chug water to try to get them out of your system.

IMO if you need a preworkout your sleep schedule needs more priority. You shouldn't need to abuse stimulants to lift like a beast.
    I like personal responsibility and accountability. When you admit you are the problem you are simultaneously admitting you are the solution.

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    The drink a gallon per day advice is a total myth.
    I totally agree. I laugh when I see people carrying around gallon milk jugs of water with all those stupid lines on them. Drink when you are thirsty and feel quenched. Pay attention to your pee color but most importantly, just listen to your body. It will tell you when you need more water.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ITSTYLER123 View Post
    I thinks its pre workout that does it. Ive been slightly concerned myseld about this issue. I only have this problem if i take preworkout. Ive urinate like 4 times in an hr
    Well hopefully OP figured out how to work a glass of water in the last seven years.

If you don't like the effects of a given pre-workout, consider not taking it? Scoops don't deliver teh majority of gainz, training does. Creatine, caffeine, misc stimulants, vasodilators, and typical "pump" agents are small effect items compared to resistance training. It's like comparing a flash light to the sun.

If I was going to the restroom 4 times an hour how am I supposed to be focused on training? If I ever had to piss 4 times in an hour I'd have an appointment with my urologist the next day.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Motiv8yourself is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm the same way with the shot glass bladder. If I drink a whole bunch of liquids within a couple of hours I pee honestly every hour. Just cut back the amount of liquids you drink in the afternoon and night and drink the majority in the morning time. Waking up to go pee at night 8-10 times has happened to me on more than one occasion.
    It's so easy to get jaded when your constantly surrounded by negativity. The challenge is to try and find a way to turn a negative situation into a positive one. Jason Taketa

The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Drinking beyond thirst doesn't offer noticeable benefits for the general sedentary population, but the picture is different for athletes (this may or may not be applicable for recreational bodybuilders/gym rats). In an athletic population, hematocrit is inversely correlated with fitness. As J.F. Brun extensively discusses in the articles referenced below, the improved rheology of the blood increases performance despite the corresponding decreased hematocrit. He also notes that the lingering "heavy legs feeling" lasting for days after a hard training session is correlated with increased cytokines, which he says is "possibly coming from lymphatics" (I'm not sure if there could be a link with the cytokine hypothesis of overtraining, which I also included in the references below).

My own experience with increased hydration (along with increased sodium intake as a mean of: A- increased blood pressure; and B- what I may call "sustained increased plasma volume" (autohemodilution)) resulted in an unexpected 2.5 mins improvement in my 10k running time within a week!

- J.F. Brun, C. Bouchahda, D. Chaze, A. Aïssa Benhaddad, J.P. Micallef and J. Mercier, The paradox of hematocrit in exercise physiology: which is the 'normal' range from an hemorheologist’s viewpoint?, Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation 22 (2000) 287–303
    - J.F. Brun, Exercise hemorheology as a three acts play with metabolic actors: is it of clinical relevance?, Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2002;26(3):155-74
    - JF Brun, L Metz, D Cassan, E Varlet-Marie, A Gaudard, From exercise hemorheology to hemorheologic fitness, Boletim Hemorreologia nº 3/2002
    - A. Gaudard, E. Varlet-Marie, F. Bressollea, J. Mercier and J.-F. Brun, Hemorheological correlates of fitness and unfitness in athletes: Moving beyond the apparent 'paradox of hematocrit'?, Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation 28 (2003) 161–173
    - Jean-Frédéric Brun, Emmanuelle Varlet-Marie, Philippe Connes and Ikram Aloulou, Hemorheological alterations related to training and overtraining, Biorheology 47 (2010) 95–115
    - Philippe Connesa, Michael J. Simmonds, Jean-Frederic Brun and Oguz K. Baskurt, Exercise hemorheology: Classical data, recent findings and unresolved issues, Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation 53 (2013) 187–199
    - Smith, L. L., Cytokine hypothesis of overtraining: a physiological adaptation to excessive stress?, Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 32,No. 2, pp. 317–331, 2000

See also (references related to cytokines and fatigue):
    - Bente K. Pedersen And Mark A. Febbraio, Muscle as an Endocrine Organ: Focus on Muscle-Derived Interleukin-6, Physiol Rev 88:1379–1406, 2008
    - Josef Finsterer, Biomarkers of peripheral muscle fatigue during exercise, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2012, 13:218
    - Pura Munoz-Canoves, Camilla Scheele, Bente K. Pedersen and Antonio L. Serrano, Interleukin-6 myokine signaling in skeletal muscle: a double-edged sword?, FEBS Journal 280 (2013) 4131–4148
    Last edited by The_cannibal; 03-29-2017 at 03:22 PM.