EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

3 day a week training question

Do you prefer a moderate, light, heavy approach or do you train steady and use exercise variation workout to workout?

What benefits do you feel are there to your preferred approach?
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a man shed out back, so I do most of my lifting at home. I wake up 3 days per week at 5:00 am and dead lift first and follow it with the bench press. I'll squat the same evening. So I do the big three- 3 times per week. And I'll rotate cable rowing, lat pulls or pull ups, shoulders, tris, and bis for at least 1 day per week. I try to be progressive week by week.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ElrondHubbard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I work out as heavy as I'm capable of during those three days. Officially it's moderate-light-heavy, but since deadlifts is on the "light" day, I still manage to wear myself out. Sometimes I'll back off the reps and then gradually increase them over the course of a few weeks, but that's not a daily variation.

I have a Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday schedule. I work 4 10hr shifts, so I'm off on Fridays

I try to maximize the accessories during my Thursday and Saturday routines, since I don't have to get to bed quite as early then.

As for benefits, I can't claim to know that it's better than another routine. It seems emotionally satisfying to me.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It really depends on my goals but "frequency" is probably the best word to describe my training. Volume per day is set such that I can recover in time for the next training bout.

I train a 3day split with no off days so that every muscle gets trained twice a week (and 3x every 3rd week).
    If I'm not in a caloric defiicit, I train in an undulating periodization (heavy day, moderate day, repeat).
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think rep ranges work well for establishing a weekly periodization. I like heavy, light, medium which in terms of rep ranges 5s, 10s, 8s respectively for the movement. Further, exercise selection matters in terms of rep ranges. I find it more benificial to hit compounds on heavy and medium day, and would put more of my isolation or body weight stuff (I.e. Pull-ups/dips) on light day, but also do deadlifts heavy on light day. I am actually thinking about going back to a Full-body 3X per schedule starting next week. It's a fun change of pace from my current 2 day split chest, shoulders tris / back, legs, biceps. I've always enjoyed full body work and the reduction in volume per session is nice even though the frequency has me getting a very similar amount of work done for each muscle group.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would ask what your goal is first.
    Is it strength training or bodybuilding/hypertrophy?

If it's strength training you can do a big lift with assistance work on each day.

Bodybuilding most likely two body parts each session.
    You can do a heavier exercise say 6-8 reps then another lift 8-12 reps for a specific body part.
    Say if it's shoulders you can do heavier overhead presses then when done hit lighter DB lateral raises.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    @ garage rat

Hypertrophy. I like to train parts more frequently 2-3x week but my recovery is less than my work ethic sometimes. I'm still trying to find a balance.

@plateau

Good way to look at it. Keeps it simple.

@cmoore

Also looks like a good simple approach.

@elrond

Deadlifts can take a toll even on light day can't they? And I reckon you can take some confidence that moderate-light-heavy has been around forever and a day.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have been doing a Heavy, Medium, Light routine I made up in the latet 80's early 90's and I still do it till this day. 2 weeks heavy, reps 2-5, 2 weeks medium, reps 6-8, 2 weeks light, reps 10 - 15 REPEAT. Sometimes I deviate from it when I am trying something new, but for the most part I always go back to this schedule it has helped me stay consistent over the years.
    On the list for Bannukah