Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Pennsylvania State Weightlifting Championships

I signed up for this event 4 months ago. My goal was to lift in the 85-kg class.

Last week I went on family vacation at Broadkill Beach in Delaware.. You bros know what happens when you take a vacation.. Yup.. My weight went up a bit. Last Sunday, after returning from vacation, I weighed at 201-lbs.. I had to be at 187-lbs (85 kilos by this morning).. 201-lbs a week before a meet was the heaviest I've ever been. But I figured it was worth the experiment and risk.

I thought to myself, "I'm gonna go for it.." So I attempted.

Basically, my diet this week was as follows:

Breakfast - 2 eggs and toast

Lunch - Chicken breast and rice

Dinner - salad with homemade dressing

The goal was low sodium

The key was the water intake thingy:

Monday - 6 bottles
    Tuesday - 8 bottles
    Wednesday - 10 bottles
    Thursday - 12 bottles
    Friday - 4 bottles til noon, then sip throughout the day a bottle with lemon.

Also on Friday night, I did the hottub thingy. I submerged myself in the tub with hot water for ten minutes.. Then wrapped myself with towel for another 10 minutes.. I easily lost 1-lb

This morning when I got up I weighed in after going to the bathroom. The best I could do was 191-lbs.. I lost 10-lbs in one week.. Not enough, obviously, to make weight at 187-lbs.. But I definitely learned something - that I could easily lose 10-lbs in one week.

I didn't want to do the hot tub thingy again four times because it was too much of a risk.. Not good for the heart..

I said to myself, "No biggie.. I will compete at 94-kg and have fun."

On the way to the meet, I got me some coffee and a big azz breakfast sandwich.. I figured no sense hoping to make weight. Might as well eat now so I can have the strength for the meet.

SIDELINE STORY

Not to get off the subject, but I want to share a story.. It will make sense at the end..

3 years ago, I got a phone call from a former CrossFitter.. He said he wanted to be a competitive weightlifter. I took him under my wings.. I trained him for several months..

Then he decided to become a coach himself.. A full time weightlifting coach.. We maintained our friendship.

He was a hungry student.. And had lots of talent. And he had a heart of gold. He worked for a gym as a coach.. Then they fired him. As a result, he was motivated to open his own gym. And because of his hunger and willingness to learn, he trained with some of the best international coaches in the US. He even went to the Olympic training center in Colorado to train with the national coach..

He is succeeding in his gym as a business owner and a coach.. The last time I saw him in person was May 2014. But we always kept in touch via ********. His name is Harrison.

Back to the story

So after I weighed in this AM, I was officially in the 94-kg master class.

Two great things happened:

a) I saw a friend and fellow coach. He was gonna compete in the 85-kg master. He was also there to coach some of his lifters in the later session. His name is Bob.

b) I saw Harrison. He was there to coach some of his lifters. It was great to see him in person.. He asked me if I needed coaching.. I took him up on his offer with great humility and honor. I mean, here is Harrison. I used to coach him.. He obviously surpassed my knowledge with his hunger and desire to be a great coach.. Of course I was gonna take his offer of help.. And I was glad he was there.

c) One of my lifters entered the meet. He's Buddy.

SHOWTIME, BABY

My plan was to open with a 65-kg in the snatch.. My old competition PR was 75-kg in the 85-kg weightclass.

Harrison had me do warm ups.. I listened to him like a student. Instead of opening with 65, we opened with 68..

Then second attempt was 72.. Then third attempt was 76-kg.. One kilo more than my old competition PR..

Harrison coached me on how to tackle 76.. I listened, and I did it..

I set a competition PR of 76-kg in the snatch..

Then clean and jerk. I was gonna open with 95.. Harrison assured me I could easily do 100 based on how I warmed up. Again, I listed..

I did 100, then 104..

He told me how to attack 109, I listened, and I set a competition PR of 109..

I did 6 for 6..

I set competition PRs in both snatch and clean and jerk.. I was happy. Really happy..

The funny thing is that I was glad that I got bumped up to 94-kg because my friend Bob broke the state record in the 85-kg weightclass as a master lifter.. He obviously took first place.. I tried to break the state record TWICE in the past, and failed.. But to see my friend Bob break the record was an awesome feeling.. His opener of 120-kg broke the state record by 7-kg.. Then he lifted his second attempt, and his third PR attempt at 130-kg. Wow.. Just wow. The master state record that stood for at least 15 years was smashed by at least 17-kg by my friend, right before my eyes.. You can't beat that, bros..

And, oh, I also took first place in the 94-kg weightclass masters. Good thing I got bumped up because I would have taken second before Bob.. LOL..

MY LIFTER

After I lifted, the next session was the heavier weight class. Buddy was in that class as a 105-kg.

He set an all time PR in the snatch at 76-kg..

He set a competition PR in the clean and jerk at 95-kg..

He won first in his class as a youth lifter..

The best part was when the announcer said to the audience how Buddy was only 16 and that he had a bright future.. That made my day as Buddy's coach.. What's really nice is that the announcer is an international coach who produced a bronze medalist in the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia.. The even more interesting thing is that he is the same gentleman who instructed the course when I got my USAW Coach certification two years ago..

It was a great day, bros.. A great day.
    Last edited by NorwichGrad; 07-25-2015 at 06:39 PM.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great stuff, NG! As always an interesting an thorough write up. Congrats!

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's so awesome!

Congratulations all around - to you, to Bob, and to Buddy. Sounds just about perfect
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

anonymous
    how is the competition usually in the 85kg class? Is it usually where the strongest lifters compete?

Congrats for competing and coming first!

Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice, I'm happy for you!
    Its not enough!

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks guys and gal. It was my fifth meet. My goal is to expand my team so more newbies will compete. This means I will have to back off on competing myself.

Lifting at York is a great experience because of its historic significance and its contributions to the fitness industry and iron arena.

The warm up area is basically a huge azz gym. Then they have the museum and a store within the competition hall.

The manufacturing plant is a 100 yards away in a separate building where they manufacture York products.

Halfway. To answer your question, strictly from a numbers standpoint the heavier weight class, 105kg and above, usually have the largest numbers. But we use the Sinclair formula to determine whom to give the Best Lifter Award.

And it is usually in the middle weight classes from my experience. The 77kg and 85kg weigh classes usually get the best lifter.
    This above all..

D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000) D2rmind is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    I signed up for this event 4 months ago. My goal was to lift in the 85-kg class.

Last week I went on family vacation at Broadkill Beach in Delaware.. You bros know what happens when you take a vacation.. Yup.. My weight went up a bit. Last Sunday, after returning from vacation, I weighed at 201-lbs.. I had to be at 187-lbs (85 kilos by this morning).. 201-lbs a week before a meet was the heaviest I've ever been. But I figured it was worth the experiment and risk.

I thought to myself, "I'm gonna go for it.." So I attempted.

Basically, my diet this week was as follows:

Breakfast - 2 eggs and toast

Lunch - Chicken breast and rice

Dinner - salad with homemade dressing

The goal was low sodium

The key was the water intake thingy:

Monday - 6 bottles
    Tuesday - 8 bottles
    Wednesday - 10 bottles
    Thursday - 12 bottles
    Friday - 4 bottles til noon, then sip throughout the day a bottle with lemon.

Also on Friday night, I did the hottub thingy. I submerged myself in the tub with hot water for ten minutes.. Then wrapped myself with towel for another 10 minutes.. I easily lost 1-lb

This morning when I got up I weighed in after going to the bathroom. The best I could do was 191-lbs.. I lost 10-lbs in one week.. Not enough, obviously, to make weight at 187-lbs.. But I definitely learned something - that I could easily lose 10-lbs in one week.

I didn't want to do the hot tub thingy again four times because it was too much of a risk.. Not good for the heart..

I said to myself, "No biggie.. I will compete at 94-kg and have fun."

On the way to the meet, I got me some coffee and a big azz breakfast sandwich.. I figured no sense hoping to make weight. Might as well eat now so I can have the strength for the meet.

SIDELINE STORY

Not to get off the subject, but I want to share a story.. It will make sense at the end..

3 years ago, I got a phone call from a former CrossFitter.. He said he wanted to be a competitive weightlifter. I took him under my wings.. I trained him for several months..

Then he decided to become a coach himself.. A full time weightlifting coach.. We maintained our friendship.

He was a hungry student.. And had lots of talent. And he had a heart of gold. He worked for a gym as a coach.. Then they fired him. As a result, he was motivated to open his own gym. And because of his hunger and willingness to learn, he trained with some of the best international coaches in the US. He even went to the Olympic training center in Colorado to train with the national coach..

He is succeeding in his gym as a business owner and a coach.. The last time I saw him in person was May 2014. But we always kept in touch via ********. His name is Harrison.

Back to the story

So after I weighed in this AM, I was officially in the 94-kg master class.

Two great things happened:

a) I saw a friend and fellow coach. He was gonna compete in the 85-kg master. He was also there to coach some of his lifters in the later session. His name is Bob.

b) I saw Harrison. He was there to coach some of his lifters. It was great to see him in person.. He asked me if I needed coaching.. I took him up on his offer with great humility and honor. I mean, here is Harrison. I used to coach him.. He obviously surpassed my knowledge with his hunger and desire to be a great coach.. Of course I was gonna take his offer of help.. And I was glad he was there.

c) One of my lifters entered the meet. He's Buddy.

SHOWTIME, BABY

My plan was to open with a 65-kg in the snatch.. My old competition PR was 75-kg in the 85-kg weightclass.

Harrison had me do warm ups.. I listened to him like a student. Instead of opening with 65, we opened with 68..

Then second attempt was 72.. Then third attempt was 76-kg.. One kilo more than my old competition PR..

Harrison coached me on how to tackle 76.. I listened, and I did it..

I set a competition PR of 76-kg in the snatch..

Then clean and jerk. I was gonna open with 95.. Harrison assured me I could easily do 100 based on how I warmed up. Again, I listed..

I did 100, then 104..

He told me how to attack 109, I listened, and I set a competition PR of 109..

I did 6 for 6..

I set competition PRs in both snatch and clean and jerk.. I was happy. Really happy..

The funny thing is that I was glad that I got bumped up to 94-kg because my friend Bob broke the state record in the 85-kg weightclass as a master lifter.. He obviously took first place.. I tried to break the state record TWICE in the past, and failed.. But to see my friend Bob break the record was an awesome feeling.. His opener of 120-kg broke the state record by 7-kg.. Then he lifted his second attempt, and his third PR attempt at 130-kg. Wow.. Just wow. The master state record that stood for at least 15 years was smashed by at least 17-kg by my friend, right before my eyes.. You can't beat that, bros..

And, oh, I also took first place in the 94-kg weightclass masters. Good thing I got bumped up because I would have taken second before Bob.. LOL..

MY LIFTER

After I lifted, the next session was the heavier weight class. Buddy was in that class as a 105-kg.

He set an all time PR in the snatch at 76-kg..

He set a competition PR in the clean and jerk at 95-kg..

He won first in his class as a youth lifter..

The best part was when the announcer said to the audience how Buddy was only 16 and that he had a bright future.. That made my day as Buddy's coach.. What's really nice is that the announcer is an international coach who produced a bronze medalist in the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia.. The even more interesting thing is that he is the same gentleman who instructed the course when I got my USAW Coach certification two years ago..

It was a great day, bros.. A great day.
    Congrats and Great video as well!

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Joel, nice lifting and congrats on the PR's!!

Good luck with your coaching and lifting!!
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Originally Posted by D2rmind View Post
    Congrats and Great video as well!

thanks, bro!

Originally Posted by olyw8lifter View Post
    Joel, nice lifting and congrats on the PR's!!

Good luck with your coaching and lifting!!
    Thanks, Keith! And thanks for encouraging me to lift there two years ago..

This vid was taken by a friend of a friend of a friend... or sumtin like that.. No snatch vids.. But this one shows my second and third attempt.

Second attempt was 104-kg.. Third attempt was competition PR of 109-kg (240-lbs). You could hear Harrison's voice in the background..

This above all..

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great write up, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a fun day. Love the vid.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    Great write up, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a fun day. Love the vid.
    Thanks, brother..

One of the reasons I put it together was to hopefully encourage Jason to enter a PL meet at York.. He is only an hour away..
    This above all..

Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks, brother..

One of the reasons I put it together was to hopefully encourage Jason to enter a PL meet at York.. He is only an hour away..
    Well, NG, you've got my attention. Congrats on the meet and I'm looking forward to meeting you in York one day soon. This post is another wealth of information... losing 10lbs in a hurry FTW!
    My vids: youtube.com/channel/UCXYsnKrrmhI9oPzfzkn8NsA
    Strong e-stat crew checking in

MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MissHolly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jbizzlechizzle View Post
    Well, NG, you've got my attention. Congrats on the meet and I'm looking forward to meeting you in York one day soon.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Congratulations, NG. Great story and great lifting.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congrats on the personal PR's, the win, and the rest of the day! Sounds amazing. Great video Joel, and awesome write up!
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Congrats NG and nice write up!!

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love the Olympic lifts. So basic and functional, but so technically difficult at the same time.

My mobility stucks so badly, I'm afraid to even try, for fear of disappointment.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Awesome write up. And congrats on a great day and setting new goals. Very nice work with your own development and your efforts with the future generations of lifters.

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes!
    Journal- One of the Ogres
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139651333

Thanks for the comments, guys. Much appreciated.

Buddy also wants to be a competitive powerlifter. So my next plan is to train him for that event whenever.

He's already squatting 405 lbs for reps (high bar) and his max DL is 475-lbs (clean grip).
    Last edited by NorwichGrad; 07-27-2015 at 07:43 AM.
    This above all..

EXTRA FOOTAGE

I wanted to share this before deleting the files in my I-phone from this weekend's meet.

I'm not sharing this as form of 'entertainment.' It's my hope that these missed lifts will serve a purpose. And that purpose is to hopefully remind all of us (including me) that behind each PR are dozens of missed attempts.. The PR vids we often see on YouTube are usually made to look 'easy.' But sometimes we forget that hours and hours of training and hard work and failed attempts led to those 'easy' lifts.

What is the opposite of success?

The typical answer is failure..

Failure is NECESSARY to succeed.

The opposite of success is quitting.

This above all..

vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000) vakrka is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Train me.
    I'm only 3 hours from York (altoona)

Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by vakrka View Post
    Train me.
    Take a number. Joel agreed to be my coach and mentor first... lol

Originally Posted by vakrka View Post
    Train me.
    I'll even give you a PA discount. We Pennsyltuckians gotta stick together like rice.
    This above all..

Originally Posted by Jbizzlechizzle View Post
    Take a number. Joel agreed to be my coach and mentor first... lol
    My friend,

You're a nutbag in a courageous and brave way by wanting to listen to someone on the Internet and someone from a different sport.
    This above all..

My friend,

You're a nutbag in a courageous and brave way by wanting to listen to someone on the Internet and someone from a different sport.
    Lmao, I may be a nutjob, but you're a winner and I want to win someday. You are the company you keep lol

stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stobco has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Awesome! Sounds like a great day you'll never forget. Those are golden.
    Last edited by stobco; 07-28-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    My StrongLifts Journal (18 weeks and counting)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168353363

My Best 5 Reps
    Squat = 290lbs
    Bench Press = 175lbs
    OHP = 121lbs
    Bent Over Row = 175lbs
    Deadlift = 320lbs

My 1RM
    Squat = 335lbs
    Bench = 195lbs
    Deadlift = 365 lbs (415lbs, 6 years ago, trying to beat it!)

@Jbizzle – thanks, bro.. You’re already a winner in the eyes of your family and loved ones, man.. That’s what counts the most.

@stobco – thanks, man. It was a great day..

--------------------------------------------

Bumping this thread to proudly share this.. I will always be proud of this kid, no matter what.. He’s a great kid from a great family.

So Buddy missed his last lift at 100-kg attempt at the meet. But he was very close..

After the meet, I told the kid to take this week off.

Did he listen to me? Of course not.. He’s a kid and a young meathead, and a dedicated one at that..

On Tuesday morning my I-phone buzzes.. He sent me a text: I DID IT!!!

I’m thinking “He did what?”

So I opened the attachment..

He went to the gym in the morning and lifted 100-kg (220-lbs) into the overhead position….from the ground…. at 16.. The missed lift at the meet bothered him enough that he kept the fire burning hot, and kept going til he made it.

There was a small part of me that said, “I’m gonna freakin’ choke you, kid.. I told you to rest and take the week off.”

But there was a HUGE part of me that raised my level of respect for this young athlete.. He is a coach’s dream athlete for sure..
    This above all..

^^^That is awesome, NG!! I felt his excitement come thru the vid and wanted to cheer along with him, "Hell Yeah!!" But alas, I am in my quiet living room having a glorious cup of coffee, with the kids still in their angelic slumber. So instead I'll just say to you, that is one hell of an athlete you got there! And LOL @ your reaction to his confession he didn't rest after all.

ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great story and video, brah!

Oly lifts are what got me interested in lifting way back 20 years ago....
    Epic Beard Man crew

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164109201&page=61