gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Trainer vs. Trainer

So, the very short story is:

I was assigned a trainer at my gym and initially had problems connecting with her but eventually did meet and as that time I'd just come from the doc that restricted some of my exercise options pending some test results, in particular I was on a "no squats" training program so told her day 1 and no problem. Now, I'm a mid 40's relative gym newcomer and she's a mid 40's trainer but I'm also not interested in yoga and kickbacks with pink dumbells. Met for a couple free assessments and did get clearance from my doctor to do whatever in the gym and told her and still sort of got a lot of TRX and bosu ball work from her so after our last session sent a e-mail that basically said my fitness goals were strength exercises and I'd rather be in the rack than in the "trainer corner" and asked if she was comfortable there thinking that if that's not her thing we can part ways amicably and I can pursue my chosen path. I got no reply so took that as a "no."

I then got in contact with another trainer at the gym and talked to him about what I wanted to do and he seems pretty enthusiastic and willing to help, asked me to shoot him an e-mail, which I did, and... no response. *sigh*

So yesterday I see the second trainer, ask about my e-mail, he says he didn't see it but will check spam folder and get back to me.

No sooner do I walk in my house after the gym and I have a reply from trainer #1 who "missed" my e-mail but it totally down for whatever and then today wake up to a response from trainer #2.

Quick timeline: May 9 I e-mail trainer #1, May 13(ish) talk to trainer #2, May 16 e-mail trainer #2, May 19 receive reply from trainer #1, May 20 receive reply from trainer #2.

So my questions are:

Am I right to think that hearing back from the first trainer after 10 days and only after talking to the second trainer is not pure coincidence?
    Is it really bad form to tell trainer #1 that I've moved on since I didn't hear back for so long?
    Should I get in touch with gym management to let them know about this squirreliness?

I wouldn't even bother with any of them at this point except that I bought a 3-session package of which I've used one so have two that I've already paid for and would like to use.
    "It's a scientific fact that regular unicorns do not lift." -rockangel

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gaming View Post
    So, the very short story is:

I was assigned a trainer at my gym and initially had problems connecting with her but eventually did meet and as that time I'd just come from the doc that restricted some of my exercise options pending some test results, in particular I was on a "no squats" training program so told her day 1 and no problem. Now, I'm a mid 40's relative gym newcomer and she's a mid 40's trainer but I'm also not interested in yoga and kickbacks with pink dumbells. Met for a couple free assessments and did get clearance from my doctor to do whatever in the gym and told her and still sort of got a lot of TRX and bosu ball work from her so after our last session sent a e-mail that basically said my fitness goals were strength exercises and I'd rather be in the rack than in the "trainer corner" and asked if she was comfortable there thinking that if that's not her thing we can part ways amicably and I can pursue my chosen path. I got no reply so took that as a "no."

I then got in contact with another trainer at the gym and talked to him about what I wanted to do and he seems pretty enthusiastic and willing to help, asked me to shoot him an e-mail, which I did, and... no response. *sigh*

So yesterday I see the second trainer, ask about my e-mail, he says he didn't see it but will check spam folder and get back to me.

No sooner do I walk in my house after the gym and I have a reply from trainer #1 who "missed" my e-mail but it totally down for whatever and then today wake up to a response from trainer #2.

Quick timeline: May 9 I e-mail trainer #1, May 13(ish) talk to trainer #2, May 16 e-mail trainer #2, May 19 receive reply from trainer #1, May 20 receive reply from trainer #2.

So my questions are:

Am I right to think that hearing back from the first trainer after 10 days and only after talking to the second trainer is not pure coincidence?
    Is it really bad form to tell trainer #1 that I've moved on since I didn't hear back for so long?
    Should I get in touch with gym management to let them know about this squirreliness?

I wouldn't even bother with any of them at this point except that I bought a 3-session package of which I've used one so have two that I've already paid for and would like to use.
    You can do whatever you want. As long as your contract hasnt restricted you to one trainer than you should be good.

I'm curious....is this a big chain gym?

gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by RamsdenF View Post
    You can do whatever you want. As long as your contract hasnt restricted you to one trainer than you should be good.

I'm curious....is this a big chain gym?
    It's a franchise. The owners have three locations in town.

I was not informed that the package was only good for one trainer so I assume it's transferable.

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's a franchise. The owners have three locations in town.
    Could call me Nostradamus. Why are big chain gyms run so poorly all the time?

Perhaps you should look for a good local independent trainer in your area. They usually are more passionate about their work and more educated/qualified.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Suppose it's not a coincidence. What does that mean? It means trainer #2 said to trainer #1 something to the effect of: "Hey, one of your clients has spoken to me about changing trainers. Get your act together or you'r going to lose your client." If it's not a coincidence, then trainer #2 has foregone his own pay to look out for another trainer's client:trainer relationship. That's about as far from bad form as you can get.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    So you have done ONE session with this trainer and decided to drop them? And you only have two sessions remaining? No offense, but I'd probably blow you off too. What do you expect a qualified PT to do for you in three hours in terms of coaching proper movement, and compound lifts for a new gym goer, especially after an injury? Maybe I read your post wrong?

The other mistake was allowing gym management to assign you a trainer. You should have done your homework and chosen one by observing them on the floor, interviewed them and asked about things like previous coaching experience in terms of what you really wanted.

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Best way to not cause an issue is to talk to gym management. The manager will get to learn what you did not like about the trainer and coach them about it. Also, the gym manager can help match a trainer to your needs because, they know their staff. It is hard to switch trainers like you described in your post because, trainers have limited booking, and they often are in competition with each other for clients. I hope it works out.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Woofie has said it.

If you want a trainer who can coach barbell lifts while at the same time having a good knowledge of rehab, you'll be searching for a while in mainstream gyms, there are not many; remember most people are happy to just get smashed for half an hour a couple of times a week. You're better-off looking for a black iron gym. But this will cost you money, and if you're worried about losing 1-2 of a 3 session package, it may be you're not willing or able to spend money on effective training.

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    So you have done ONE session with this trainer and decided to drop them? And you only have two sessions remaining? No offense, but I'd probably blow you off too. What do you expect a qualified PT to do for you in three hours in terms of coaching proper movement, and compound lifts for a new gym goer, especially after an injury? Maybe I read your post wrong?

The other mistake was allowing gym management to assign you a trainer. You should have done your homework and chosen one by observing them on the floor, interviewed them and asked about things like previous coaching experience in terms of what you really wanted.
    I have met with the first trainer a total of four times. Of those two were "check-in" meetings and one of those was supposed to be a full workout. I have worked out with her twice, once was when I had a doctor telling me to not do some exercises because he was concerned about a possible injury, the second was after the test results came back clean and I had all restrictions lifted. There is no injury and thus no rehab. During the first session I understood why the exercises went the direction they did because I was limited but with the second one I didn't even get a good workout and had no restrictions.

With no response for a week after an e-mail, I assumed I was being dropped so contacted another trainer and got replies back from both of them within about 12 hours. I just don't want to be a giant ass since the gym is pretty small but I just paid a lot of money for a not very good 1/2 hour session if I don't try to get the other two sessions scheduled. I never said I wouldn't sign up for more training but I'm not going to spend the money with a trainer that isn't in tune with my fitness goals, that's utterly pointless.

but I just paid a lot of money for a not very good 1/2 hour session if I don't try to get the other two sessions scheduled. I never said I wouldn't sign up for more training but I'm not going to spend the money with a trainer that isn't in tune with my fitness goals, that's utterly pointless.
    See......THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

And other trainers don't have the gall to admit it. They want to play patty cake and make excuses. "Ohhh the client doesn't know what they are talking about....they need to sign up for a lengthy contract and give it 3 months to find out".

NO damnit. This gym and this trainer need to step up. Period. If a workout is so ****ty that a client even notices? It has to be real bad. If anything it's usually the opposite.(client thinks workout was too hard)

HOW MUCH ARE THEY CHARGING YOU FOR CRAP HALF HOUR SESSIONS? Pm me if you don't want to say it on here. But I bet it is crazy expensive and the gym gives the trainer like 15%. Until we raise the barrier of entry into this field.....gyms will continue to get away paying minimal money to uneducated/unqualified people to do the job. It is not a matter of being mean to this trainer, but a matter of survival of the fittest. If we eliminate the bottom dwellers this will RAISE OUR INDUSTRY and eliminate chain gyms and their embarrassing wages paid.

Clients like gaming.....then go out in the world and down talk that gym and personal trainer(and she should). Word of mouth spreads(and of course gets exaggerated along the way) and BOOM.......next thing you know people are talking about "how personal training aint worth it".

Having a personal trainer will be as essential as a doctor, dentist, etc going forward into the future. You will begin to see the majority of individuals place a high priority on their health and personal trainers will be in most individuals lives. But not.....if we continue to ignore the elephant in the room.

I am not the smartest man or trainer....but I have passion and common sense. I am bold and unafraid to explore the potentials of what a small group of trainers can accomplish. The "old guard" will not go away easily. The health industry is mighty profitable....but people will eventually wise up and the money will leave. Our careers will be a shadow of what they could possibly be.

Sorry not sorry for rant OP. It needed to be said. I definitely understand your concerns and sadly you are falling victim to an average(perhaps below average) gym and personal training staff.....but PAYING.....as if they are a good one. Good luck and I would run at first chance given.

I paid $99 for the three sessions as a spring kickstarter promotion.

Just to be clear, every interaction I've had with the gym owners has been very positive and encouraging. It's the trainers that have been giving me fits since day 1.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I paid $99 for the three sessions as a spring kickstarter promotion.

Just to be clear, every interaction I've had with the gym owners has been very positive and encouraging. It's the trainers that have been giving me fits since day 1.
    I thought you said a few posts up that you paid a lot of money for these 3 sessions?! $99 is actually considered a pretty cheap deal for 3 x 30min sessions. Most 30min sessions are a lot more than $33 a pop. With a reputable and competent trainer within a personal training studio that is.

When you step foot into the bigger gyms, very few clients understand what goes on with a) how they're employed and b) what they get paid. Just because you're paying $33 a session in this case, doesn't mean that goes straight to your trainer friend. So if they're getting paid a really small percentage, you can't expect them to give you the world. Bigger gyms literally employ anyone and everyone. Even those that haven't finished certification. You can just go up to the co-ordinator or manager and mention the topic of a job, and they'll set that "trainer" up within days.

Yes there needs to be a standard introduced across the board and a criteria met for all trainers to satisfy, beyond a certification. However a client must also do their research into who they're looking to hire. Don't expect quality if you just turn up at your gym and request a trainer. You must have questions and more questions and make sure that trainer is qualified for your goal.

Also remembering, most trainers out there these days are what's called circus trainers. TRX's, bosu's, VipR's, whatever other toy they can find etc. Where they think that placing emphasis on things looking "cool" is more important than generating an actual result and a physical transformation for someone. Very few are qualified in strength & conditioning and olympic lifting, which is what you sound like you were interested in. You need to search for a strength coach, not a run of the mill "bosu trainer" who will soon enough have you doing handstands and flippidy doo's.

Trainer's often think they have to be circus trainers because they feel the bread and butter basics are too "boring" for new clients. A good coach however has no problem teaching the "boring" basics, as it has a purpose. A good coach does not tire of teaching the "boring" basics either, for they are satisfied by seeing progress and change, not because they have a cool little video to post later that night showing off how uber awesome they are. They feel they have to impress with "new" things. But little do they realise, clients are paying for results. Results are achieved not by what's fancy or what's cool on Instagram that day, but by tried and true classics and plain hard work.

Unless there's a specific reason to be needing things like Bosu's and toys (because they do have there place... it's just that they're overused and mistreated), there's so many other valuable things to be doing that are worth more of your time.

Trainer's feel they have to re-invent the entire wheel in fear that they can't hold onto clients long-term and must pretend that there's a "secret" out there that only they know. A client doesn't stay with a trainer because they know cool exercises, they stay with a trainer by having a good relationship with them based on credibility and trust and a proven track record of results. Making things fun is yes a huge key to retention, but there's ways to create a fun session without even touching a gimmicky fitness toy. If a trainer has a fun uplifting energetic personality, the client will have a good time more often than not.
    Last edited by Simmo0508; 05-21-2015 at 11:50 PM.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

$99 for three sessions is a good deal which is why I bought the package. $99 for one, which is all I've been able to schedule, is pretty expensive. Getting value out of the remaining two is the whole reason for this thread.

My gym is small. It's not a big box gym. The prevailing theme here seems to be that there is a lot of filler and not much meat in the world of trainers which is disappointing. Instinctively I know that some people are better at their job than others and might find satisfaction working with clients that have different goals but I guess I felt like what I was asking was easy and not so contrary to the circus act that is training.

I appreciate all the the comments thus far.

$99 for three sessions is a good deal which is why I bought the package. $99 for one, which is all I've been able to schedule, is pretty expensive. Getting value out of the remaining two is the whole reason for this thread.

My gym is small. It's not a big box gym. The prevailing theme here seems to be that there is a lot of filler and not much meat in the world of trainers which is disappointing. Instinctively I know that some people are better at their job than others and might find satisfaction working with clients that have different goals but I guess I felt like what I was asking was easy and not so contrary to the circus act that is training.

I appreciate all the the comments thus far.
    Quick follow up here.

I had a meeting with Trainer #2 today who walked me through all of the major lifts and gave me some specific advice about how to correct my form on a couple and some supplementary exercises that will help to stabilize some of the lifts if I want to do that. He was supportive of the basic Starting Strength program and overall quite helpful. I didn't hear anything contradictory to what I tend to read as prevailing wisdom around these parts and was open to "off the books" questions and consultation.

Thanks again to all of you!

MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100) MissLami is not very well liked. (-100)
    big like