ahenske has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sports Training and Fat Loss

Hey guys, thanks for clicking on my post and possibly answering a question that I have been wondering about for a long time.

I'm just going to start off saying that I have a decently high bf% (about 15%), which I think is hindering my performance in being a competitive athlete. I've read in tons of places that a formal bodybuilding style cut is a very bad choice for athletes, but how else should I train/diet in order to lose this fat but not lose muscle and strength at the same time? I feel as though going on a football strength workout would just make me fatter, and cutting like a bodybuilder would completely ruin my athletic performance. Thanks to anyone that helps.

Edit: I would like to eventually fall into around the 8% BF range

Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    8% body fat is unneeded, 10-12% is a good place to be that also looks great and is easily maintainable. Clean up your diet big time, limit all junk and cut out all the sugar you can. WHile you are doing that, focus on getting stronger which will in turn put more muscle on your body. By doing that not only are you not giving you body a reason to store fat, you are also packing on slabs of muscle, both of whhich will make you look leaner.

ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000)
    I disagree somewhat with the notion that athletes shouldn't cut. If an athlete has too much fat then he/she should diet to lose the extra fat. I don't understand why people disagree with this. Now, the thing to consider is WHEN you have the weight cut. If you try to cut during your sport season, then yeah, your performance will suffer due to your lack of energy. IMO, if a cut is needed, it should be done at the beginning of the off-season, when you have several months before you have any important competitions again. This way, you can get the cut over with, and still have time left in the off-season to put all of your focus and effort into your sport-specific training.

Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viking2396 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ruckin View Post
    I disagree somewhat with the notion that athletes shouldn't cut. If an athlete has too much fat then he/she should diet to lose the extra fat. I don't understand why people disagree with this. Now, the thing to consider is WHEN you have the weight cut. If you try to cut during your sport season, then yeah, your performance will suffer due to your lack of energy. IMO, if a cut is needed, it should be done at the beginning of the off-season, when you have several months before you have any important competitions again. This way, you can get the cut over with, and still have time left in the off-season to put all of your focus and effort into your sport-specific training.
    There is a difference in the way bodybuilders cut and the way athletes "cut". Personally, if an athlete gets his diet in order, is practicing hard and lifting hard then they will automaticly lose fat. But a focus on just fat loss is imo counter productive to an athlete. That is why we dont recommend the traditional "Cut/bulk". Most athletes are fat due to bad diet, so just getting that in order will do wonders.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The word "cut" has a completely different meaning for sport and should be kept separate. It specifically means manipulating water to make weight. That's what most people mean when they talk about not "cutting" for athletes. Cutting is a bit different to just losing some fat in bodybuilding, as well.

ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000) ruckin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    The word "cut" has a completely different meaning for sport and should be kept separate. It specifically means manipulating water to make weight. That's what most people mean when they talk about not "cutting" for athletes. Cutting is a bit different to just losing some fat in bodybuilding, as well.
    Then let me clarify that what I mean by "cut" in my post is referring to "losing actual fat tissue."

Originally Posted by Viking2396 View Post
    There is a difference in the way bodybuilders cut and the way athletes "cut". Personally, if an athlete gets his diet in order, is practicing hard and lifting hard then they will automaticly lose fat. But a focus on just fat loss is imo counter productive to an athlete. That is why we dont recommend the traditional "Cut/bulk". Most athletes are fat due to bad diet, so just getting that in order will do wonders.
    If a football player, for example, has been playing offensive tackle for years and all of a sudden needs to switch to linebacker, for whatever reason, then he will have to lose weight/fat.

I'm not saying it is common but in some cases I believe it is would be necessary for an athlete to purposely lose weight/fat.

Iwillbethe1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If a football player, for example, has been playing offensive tackle for years and all of a sudden needs to switch to linebacker, for whatever reason, then he will have to lose weight/fat.

I'm not saying it is common but in some cases I believe it is would be necessary for an athlete to purposely lose weight/fat.
    I'm actually trying to do exactly that. I am almost as fast as the current starting linebackers but they are stronger and more lean than me (pretty bad a linebacker is stronger than oline). Anyways I'm sitting at 24% bf and I want to lose whatever fat I can. Right now it's off season so just weights and some conditioning here and there with team. I don't know if it's too late to lose some fat. I also can't seem to get stronger and I feel I may not eating enough (I already eat about 3,000 calories but I am scared to eat more because I'm already too high in fat.) even if I clean up my diet I won't get enough to get a lot stronger.

So could someone give me some advice to whether I should start focusing on losing fat RIGHT NOW or focus on strength and eat more and risk raising bf and then focus on bf in about mid June.

EDIT: I weigh 205 24% bf oline 205 bench 345 squat 355 deadlift 205 hang clean 225 power clean

Originally Posted by Iwillbethe1 View Post
    I'm actually trying to do exactly that. I am almost as fast as the current starting linebackers but they are stronger and more lean than me (pretty bad a linebacker is stronger than oline). Anyways I'm sitting at 24% bf and I want to lose whatever fat I can. Right now it's off season so just weights and some conditioning here and there with team. I don't know if it's too late to lose some fat. I also can't seem to get stronger and I feel I may not eating enough (I already eat about 3,000 calories but I am scared to eat more because I'm already too high in fat.) even if I clean up my diet I won't get enough to get a lot stronger.

So could someone give me some advice to whether I should start focusing on losing fat RIGHT NOW or focus on strength and eat more and risk raising bf and then focus on bf in about mid June.

EDIT: I weigh 205 24% bf oline 205 bench 345 squat 355 deadlift 205 hang clean 225 power clean
    yes you should start focusing on losing fat immediately if you're in the offseason. I actually just made a video on this topic the other day on my new youtube channel linked in my sig if you want to check that out.