jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

How your emotions/psychology can affect strength

This topic has really interested me during the last couple of days. In which emotional state are you physically stronger? When scared, happy, angry, calm/focused? this thought came into my head when i watched the scene in x men first class where magneto moved the massive satellite. Instead of using rage or anger as he did with his previously failed attempt, he was instead focused and thinking of his happiest memory.

I also found an article online about a study where people were stronger when thinking of loving/happy memories rather than sad/painful memories.
    This is the link: http://fridayreflections.typepad.com/weblog/science/

Finally, when i come to think of it, when i broke my bench press plateau i was happy and excited as well as focused on the task.

So what do you guys think? Does being happy/focused make you stronger than being angry? Share your thoughts/experiences.

I'd rather be lifting... ImMikeB's Avatar
    ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImMikeB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I dont tend to think of a "memory" while lifting. I just blast music and get into a very focused mindset.

ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ConnorJS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jayhansi View Post
    This topic has really interested me during the last couple of days. In which emotional state are you physically stronger? When scared, happy, angry, calm/focused? this thought came into my head when i watched the scene in x men first class where magneto moved the massive satellite. Instead of using rage or anger as he did with his previously failed attempt, he was instead focused and thinking of his happiest memory.

I also found an article online about a study where people were stronger when thinking of loving/happy memories rather than sad/painful memories.
    This is the link: http://fridayreflections.typepad.com/weblog/science/

Finally, when i come to think of it, when i broke my bench press plateau i was happy and excited as well as focused on the task.

So what do you guys think? Does being happy/focused make you stronger than being angry? Share your thoughts/experiences.
    I think of all the people who've given me ****, motivates me to be stronger than them (doesn't make much sense but this with some heavy music gets me pumped).

PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaintballMan will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Rage^^
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift."

S- 245x5
    B- 170x5
    D- 330x5

Log- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160895651

Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000) Basketball22 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Emotions definitely can play a big role in lifting. I find thinking about a close family member and what I would do to keep them safe helps me focus the most.
    snapchat:bach225
    U.S. Army 13F
    ++ Positive Crew ++
    ★ DEADLIFT CREW ★
    +Ohio til I die crew+

jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jayhansi is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ImMikeB View Post
    I dont tend to think of a "memory" while lifting. I just blast music and get into a very focused mindset.
    Originally Posted by ConnorJS View Post
    I think of all the people who've given me ****, motivates me to be stronger than them (doesn't make much sense but this with some heavy music gets me pumped).
    Originally Posted by Basketball22 View Post
    Emotions definitely can play a big role in lifting. I find thinking about a close family member and what I would do to keep them safe helps me focus the most.
    Some good answers. Well i suppose you can't focus ona specific memory and lift at the same time, lol, but it was kind of an example of how to get in that specific emotional state, e.g. happy memory to be happy, etc. I keep hearing the words "focused" which was part of the question. So would "focused anger" be better then just pure, unrestrained anger? This might be a silly question but a big portion of lifting is psychological after all.

bump

Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikebrah22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It would probably be 'scared' as the sympathetic response you experience releases catecholamines (Mainly epinephrine and norepinehrine) which primes your body fight or run.

jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonahjahns will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I play 'Nicotine' by Panic! at the Disco and think of the girl that screwed me over.. I always time it so that the refrain comes when I hit that max

Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chreeschon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Being happy, not so much.

Focused, F*ck yes!

Now after smashing a PR being focused is when to be happy.

Originally Posted by Mikebrah22 View Post
    It would probably be 'scared' as the sympathetic response you experience releases catecholamines (Mainly epinephrine and norepinehrine) which primes your body fight or run.
    When i'm scared i will usually miss a lift because self doubt will creep into my head saying i won't be able to do it, and obviously everyone knows self doubt is detrimental to performance and success in general.

I think i've got my answer now: focus is the key.