Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Home gym or commercial

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417 View Post
    although I do agree to an extent that a commercial gym has its benefits and CAN give some people motivation, it's not for everyone. I used to love going to the gym but with my limited time the only way I can work out is at home. I actually enjoy it because I don't have to worry about the seasonal flu/cold being spread through equipment, I don't have to wait for a machine, I can take my shirt off and fart whenever I want (LOL) and there is no douche bags. I have all the essentials and then some that I've pieced together over the past several months. it's not top of the line, but it works. I don't need pretty machines and weights

the home IS for rest and entertainment, but I feel it takes a special level of dedication to be able to workout consistently at home. If I want motivation from people that are better lifters than me.....I come here. there is always something to learn on BB.com
    I agree 100% with home gym. If u need motivation, I guess get personal trainer. I enjoy working out at home, so many pluses. No drama, no ego, train on my schedule, making gains just fine! Weigh your goals? I am not competing, so it's for my pleasure. I agree though with other comment, go to gym for couple months, make sure u are going to stick with it, before wasting all that $$....
    It’s all about consistency imho ✌️

Registered User Bladerunner1811's Avatar
    Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HY45 View Post
    I agree 100% with home gym. If u need motivation, I guess get personal trainer. I enjoy working out at home, so many pluses. No drama, no ego, train on my schedule, making gains just fine! Weigh your goals? I am not competing, so it's for my pleasure. I agree though with other comment, go to gym for couple months, make sure u are going to stick with it, before wasting all that $$....
    " If u need motivation, I guess get personal trainer." lol no offence but if I need motivation all I have to do is read stories by Robert E.Howard the man that created Conan,or watch the original DeathStalker movie or even watch the old 50's-60's sword and sandle aka preplum movies like the Hercules series (1957–1965),and even any of the old Steve Reeves movies.

You don't need to hire some possibly colleage level kid that doesn't know any more about working out then his certification says to motivate you to get stronger,bigger and fitter!

*****://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aln2mNe4cgE&index=5&list=PLKAi5BI67hLKhY-KNiHEcgr0MqrWUMq6G
    Last edited by Bladerunner1811; 04-01-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    Barbarism in the natural state of mankind.Civilzation is unnatural.It is the whim of circumstance.And barbarism must always ultimately triumph.

-----Robert E.Howard
    From the Conan tale:

Beyond the Black river

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I decided to invest in some equipment years ago instead of paying a never ending payment to go to a gym and wait on equipment, deal with other people, etc., partly from a financial standpoint and partly from a convenience standpoint. I've had it set up in a spare room, in the garage, and now it is away from the house, in the back yard in a storage building, so I do have to leave my house to go to the gym, but it is a short trip.
    I would suggest getting a power rack as others have suggested. Mine has a pull up bar, dip bars, and the normal rack bars for safety and racking the weight.
    Also, get a good bench that you can adjust easily. Mine has a bit of hassle to the adjustment, and it is somewhat frustrating that it doesn't adjust easier, but I deal with it. It is sturdy and it will do incline and decline.
    Definitely look for used equipment! I paid $120 for my rack with everything and my bench together from the same guy used. I had a set of Olympic weights that my ex-wife bought me for Christmas years ago, but it was a smaller set (210 lbs) with no 45's. Later I found a guy selling his weights and I picked up an additional Olympic bar and a pair of 45's along with a pair of 35's and a pair of 25's and he delivered them to my house.
    If you can find some plates with the cut-outs for handles, you can start out using them as DB's also, until you can find some actual DB's.
    I get in the habit of checking Craigslist occasionally to see if there is anything else I might be interested in adding.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have both and love both. There's more space at the gym but with the exception of a power rack that I'm still hunting for, I have everything I need at home as well. To me, it's great having the choice.

AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I came within a hair of buying a good home gym set up about two weeks ago. Before I did I went to my regular gym and realized that while having it at home would be great, I'd still get a better workout at the gym I'm at. Less distractions, more focus, get in, get done, get out.

Only rarely have I had to deal with idiots though, or wait over long for equipment.
    Obsession is a term the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000) Broseph82 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The pros vs cons:

Pros:
    *Workout anytime of day/night
    *No waiting for machines or weights
    *Can listen to any kind of music without needing headphone/earbuds
    *snacks are at your disposal throughout workout

Cons:
    #1-nobody will be there to motivate you, but yourself. This can be problematic especially at "low-times"
    *no spotter and nobody to push you, but you.
    *not many people want to come to someone's garage to lift (I know from experience)
    *will have to clean up mess
    *things may disrupt your workout like laundry, cooking, neighbors, etc.

I'd say since you're just returning to the weights to stick to a decent gym that you like and collect the pieces that would matter to you most in your garage. Collect slowly but surely then start working out at home if you feel like you have what it takes to motivate yourself.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Broseph82 View Post
    The pros vs cons:

Pros:

Cons:
    #1-nobody will be there to motivate you, but yourself. This can be problematic especially at "low-times"
    *not many people want to come to someone's garage to lift (I know from experience)

I'd say since you're just returning to the weights to stick to a decent gym that you like and collect the pieces that would matter to you most in your garage. Collect slowly but surely then start working out at home if you feel like you have what it takes to motivate yourself.
    I train at 0400. None of those cons are ever an issue for me.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Registered User Bladerunner1811's Avatar
    Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Broseph82 View Post

The pros vs cons:

Pros:

Cons:

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    I train at 0400. None of those cons are ever an issue for me.

True those cons are just excuses people come up with. I bet back in the 30's 40's and 50's less people made up excuses to train then do today!
    Barbarism in the natural state of mankind.Civilzation is unnatural.It is the whim of circumstance.And barbarism must always ultimately triumph.

-----Robert E.Howard
    From the Conan tale:

Beyond the Black river

mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000) mtdman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I train at home and I've managed to collect a pretty nice set of equipment and weights over the years. It's far easier to motivate myself to run downstairs to lift than it is to get up and drive somewhere to work out. If I had to go out to lift I'd probably never do it. At least with the stuff downstairs I can guilt myself into moving my ass down there and do it. With that extra effort of going out I'm not sure I'd make it regularly.

Plus I get to watch and listen to whatever I want.

Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Miztergee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by yaniv3000 View Post
    I've read posts for days, research on line and now it's time for you guys :-)

I would like to build a home Gym but i only have a limited space in my garage and around 1K-2K$

I ask all of you with a home gym do you think 1000$-2000$ will do the job? or should i sign up for a commercial gym and workout there?

I would love to be able to get the same workout at home as i can get in a commercial gym but i am not sure what to buy for my home.

Thanks!
    I use to train in a gym and agree with some of the other that it can be inspiring on a psychological level and it's also a great place to learn from more experienced guys. In saying this, I have recently set up my own home gym in my basement and done so for about 1k. I bought a solid squat rack that could be used for benching, pressing and squats, a set of dipping bars, a lat pull down machine and a couple of benches for doing flat/incline work on.

As long as you've got the basics and a reasonable set of weights, you can pretty much do anything you need to do. You can also improve the ambiance by fitting mirrors and putting a sound system in.

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Going to be in the market for a house later this year. My requirements will enough space to eventually put together a serious home gym and a place to hang netting for a batting cage (no machine, place for drills/tee hitting). I miss having a home gym and can't wait to have one again. The gym we belong to now is pretty good, and it's cheap (Fitness 19 in Maryland, $10 per month each for my son and I), but even the rare times I have to wait to use a piece of equipment drives me nuts.

CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CFPeterson68 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like my home gym because I have a young child to care for. I like the local gym for the social interaction with like-minded individuals. I do both and they both are great. My home gym is mostly second-hand and is a nice setup. Just have patience and keep watching Craigslist, eventually you'll find someone dumping stuff.
    If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of. -Bruce Lee

MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MustangGTFive0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I like my home gym. Never have to wait until someone is done using the squat rack for their 800 reps of bicep curls