DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Grip strength too weak

I've noticed as I've been increasing weight for certain exercises (Deadlift, shrugs, etc.) my grip strength usually fails before my actual target muscle (I have to drop down weight to be able to hold onto it longer or at all)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to increase my grip strength? Currently using one of those hand exercise things you sqeeze.

Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10) Aceallways is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DynasteeX View Post
    I've noticed as I've been increasing weight for certain exercises (Deadlift, shrugs, etc.) my grip strength usually fails before my actual target muscle (I have to drop down weight to be able to hold onto it longer or at all)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to increase my grip strength? Currently using one of those hand exercise things you sqeeze.
    I find it helps to leave your hand open and let the bar just sit on your fingers rather than making a tight fist around the bar. Other than that there are wrist straps.

MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MykeZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DynasteeX View Post

Pull ups are good for hand strength. But hand strength will never grow as fast as your other muscles, so if you want to keep progressing in your lifts you will have to use straps. On dead lifts you can use alternate grip or pinch grip if you're against straps.

Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bunk66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Start incorporating farmer's walks into your routine. They've helped bring up my grip and my forearms.

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just checking one basic thing first ... are you using chalk? If you aren't, then that by itself will probably fix it.

amazon.com - chalk
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603

DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DynasteeX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome, thanks for the tips guys; will put them to good use

knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knicksfan20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by MykeZ View Post
    Pull ups are good for hand strength. But hand strength will never grow as fast as your other muscles, so if you want to keep progressing in your lifts you will have to use straps. On dead lifts you can use alternate grip or pinch grip if you're against straps.
    This is probably really good advice. I have really good grip strength and use to do a ton of pullups (now i just do on back/bi day, but i always do them) Thats probably why. I can also do pullups with 2 fingers and with just my fingertips. Try doing more pullups if you can. It may help your issue.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to keep training your exercise with your grip being a hindering, lighten the weight for the time being. It will divert your high-intensity deadlift into higher-reps, but will keep your practice with it consistent while training your grip more properly. On the other hand, you could also get some fat gripz all the same, which will heavily influence you to pace your workout as far as grip goes.

As far as volume training goes, go ahead and do other exercises. However, grip-strength is particular to each pulling exercise, and you'd have to consider for more time to acclimate..

One exercise, for instance:
    Originally Posted by Bunk66 View Post
    Start incorporating farmer's walks into your routine. They've helped bring up my grip and my forearms.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Add in some double overhand barbell holds to your routine for a few weeks. Your mixed grip strength will absolutely explode. I started with a mixed grip 10 sec hold around 450 and ended up holding 635 after a month. With chalk of course.
    Experience, not just theory

headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) headrek1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bunk66 View Post
    ^So much this. I started doing these with just 60 lb dumbells, walking around the track at my gym...hurts my forearms so much. And it's definitely my grip that's my limiting factor, I could keep walking for a couple laps at least were it not for my grip giving out.
    "Don't fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts, it is glorious, even to fail."-Bruce Lee
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current/Goals
    Bench-340x1/405x1
    Deadlift-450x1/500x1
    Squat-420x1/500x1

HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel the grip strength problem should be tackled before going up in more weights. Grip strength is important and as said by others before I recommend pull-ups as well and more forearm training. If you don't get the grip strength up then its going to be hard to practically use that strength you would gain in every day situations. The worst situation would be having the strength to carry out a task but not being able to translate it to the task because you couldn't grip the object or whatever long enough. Aceallways recommended a technique I use too which is using the fingers instead of a full grip. When you get tired in a normal hold just let it roll down into your fingers a little more to relax the grip exhaustion.

nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50) nucknfutz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    We used to do pullups with a towel, works pretty well for grip. I also got those Fat Gripz. Just started using them so I'm not sure if they work or not, but they are supposed to.

XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10) XanManZA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dude if you are having problems with grip do *not* consider getting straps, they will just increase the problem and hinder your forearm development.
    I had the exact same problem that you're having and solved it with the following:

twice a week, do dumbbell holds. That is, take the heaviest dumbbells you can possibly hold on to without dislocating your shoulders and hold the dumbbells at your sides for 45seconds.
    Make sure you increase the hold time and/or weight every session you do this.

TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    grip is often something you need to pound out when it because plateued just gotta beat the **** out of that grip

ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I suggest doing farmers walk and if you have access to thick bar farmers walk, buy fat gripz for these. Grab a fairly heavy weight and just walk, much less monotonous than just holding a bar and you also build up your core and traps....in fact doing enough of these could be a replacement for shrugs, great total body exercise.
    6'4", 215

Obsessed with Latinas