Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Jump shrugs and hang cleans

I was just wondering what the difference really is and if I need to learn how to clean. I noticed that a jump shrug from the floor is basically the same as a clean and I have read online that they are pretty much identical. The whole point of olympic lifts is to create triple extension and jump shrugs off the ground allow that. If my goal is to increase explosiveness mainly vertical jump and I have no intention on competing or anything like that can't I just do heavy jump shrugs instead? I want an explosive movement in my routine and I want something I can progress with linearly. I was thinking about Jump squats but I obviously shouldn't go to heavy with those probably around 35% of 1rm from what I have read. So with jump shrugs I can continue to add weight just like a clean. I also don't have a coach or bumper plates so I won't have to drop the bar quickly. Am I missing anything?

Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bills10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anybody

Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With a jump shrug you just don't get the pull from the upper back that you do with a clean, and if you catch low you don't get the concentric squat movement. but if done correctly you do get the triple extension and you can load it more. personal choice really I do both.
    Check out My D1 Basketball Log in the Sports Journals

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Bills10 View Post
    I was just wondering what the difference really is and if I need to learn how to clean. I noticed that a jump shrug from the floor is basically the same as a clean and I have read online that they are pretty much identical. The whole point of olympic lifts is to create triple extension and jump shrugs off the ground allow that. If my goal is to increase explosiveness mainly vertical jump and I have no intention on competing or anything like that can't I just do heavy jump shrugs instead? I want an explosive movement in my routine and I want something I can progress with linearly. I was thinking about Jump squats but I obviously shouldn't go to heavy with those probably around 35% of 1rm from what I have read. So with jump shrugs I can continue to add weight just like a clean. I also don't have a coach or bumper plates so I won't have to drop the bar quickly. Am I missing anything?
    A "Jump Shrug from the ground" is called a clean pull.

Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    My experience with the clean pull was that it was a clean that you didn't flip your elbows and get under. So you'd pull all the way up your chest in a power clean pull.

maybe I'm mistaken.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Assassindan View Post
    My experience with the clean pull was that it was a clean that you didn't flip your elbows and get under. So you'd pull all the way up your chest in a power clean pull.

maybe I'm mistaken.
    You are 100% correct. I still don't see the difference.

OK, having reviewed some videos on the web, I have decided to change my mind.

The jump shrug is a BADLY PERFORMED clean pull.

A little more seriously, they are mechanically the same lift. The jump shrug just appears to be done with a lot less weight, so that the jump in the clean is obviously a lot lower. There also appears to be more focus on the shrug and the sequencing is different.

Learn to clean, IMO.

You are 100% correct. I still don't see the difference.
    The difference with my version is with a jump shrug you keep your arms fully extended and with a clean pull you end in the high pull phase of the clean. IDK

Originally Posted by Assassindan View Post
    The difference with my version is with a jump shrug you keep your arms fully extended and with a clean pull you end in the high pull phase of the clean. IDK
    No you don't. There is no arm in a pull. If you end there, it is either because you're using a lighter weight or you've inappropriately pulled with your arms.

Either way, this is minutae. There is little difference between the two and quite a bit of variation in how the jump squat is performed. My advice is still "learn to clean"

With The Clean Pull Though You Don't Jump From What I Just Saw Online. Can You Still Create Triple Extension Without The Actual Jump?

Depending on how you learn the clean, you may be taught to jump or not. I was taught without the jump but I often teach with it. The effect at high loads is the same. You don't get off the ground.

Triple extension and jumping are very much the same thing - except you can cheat if you're only concerned about the jump.

I think the clean pull will teach you to drive back and up, keeping your body upright and maximising your back involvement. Demonstrations I saw on vids this morning of "jump shrugs" tended to be a simple jump up with little hip involvement and a lot of forward head posture in the shrug. That would be what would happen if you prioritise the jump over the extension.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the oly lifting forum has some guys taht are really good with technique taht can help you out.