Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50) CompoundUK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tb0282 View Post
    Not lagging imo, at least for a high insertion. Still hit it hard with OHP, that should be your focus movement. Pullovers are actually primarily a lat exercise, basically the DB version of straight arm pulldowns. its common to get a chest and tri pump with it though

If you're high, stop incline. The whole "you need an incline bench movement to hit the upper chest" stemmed from the time period where people knew NOTHING about insertions or genetics. It came from the same people who thought you could shape your muscles with exercises. The info in this thread is relatively new, if it was popular, I wouldn't need to make this thread.

You can't isolate between the two heads. And I don't know why you would want to prioritize the sternocostal head with a high insertion

Thanks man, I find this type of thing very interesting as well. My source is Dante Trudel and reading through Spiderman997's posts. Not sure where the original post by Dante came from. As far as learning more about insertions, theres not really one source that I go through, I kinda just browse a ton of different websites, exrx.net is a good site to learn from for the most part, although they don't have much on topics like this

I don't remember you listing Jones. Thats defintely low however.

Deadlifts
    Weighted Pull Ups
    Straight Arm Pulldowns (one of the best back iso's imo, love the contraction for it)
    Incline DB Curls
    DB Rows
    Face Pulls

Straight Arm Pulldowns could be replaced with barbell, cable or tbar rows

I can't tell anything from that pic.

If you have a high insertion, always start out with OHP. The reason most people start out with a bench movement is because they are under the impression that it is one of the best mass builders for the upper body. That is true for someone with a lower insertion, because their shoulder girdle responds well to the bench. With a high insertion, your best mass builder will be the OHP.

You are low

I cannot tell from your avi. Try out decline bench though if shoulders are affecting your flat bench

What do you mean by making OHP more stable? I also saw the same type of progression with chest and bench once I put a huge focus on OHP though. Keep it up man

Slight incline of 20-30 degrees. Reverse grip barbell bench is on Dante's recommended exercise list for triceps. I never tried it, so I can't really give you a valid opinion on that one

You could do OHP on both days, or just one, although if you just it on one day, shoulder day would make more sense. Does not matter if you're standing or seated. Standing would be better, but my ceiling is too short as well, so I've been forced to do them seated and have seen good results
    My left shoulder specially just feels a bit unstable feels like it want to go backwards a bit on OHP and bench. also my OHP is only about 15kg lighter for my working sets than my flat bench now which is pretty close compared to a lot of people i ask. could havign the high insertions mean you are naturally quite efficient at OHP compared to direct chest work like bench press? standing OHP is fast becoming my favourite push movement for sure so ill keep hitting it hard. thanks for this thread man, interesting and useful
    Im doing it right

12 Months In
    138lb - 170lb and counting...

**Hairy as Fack but not on my back crew**
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

Currently racing danielaq12 to a 100KG bench

IvanKoay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IvanKoay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IvanKoay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump

Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by aezthetik View Post
    I'm on an upper/lower body split and i have high insertions, so tell me if this is a good upper body routine
    -3 sets ohp
    -3 sets of some kind of chest exercises, please tell me which one i should do
    -3 set t bar rows
    -3 sets of lateral raise/ facepulls
    -2 sets of shrugs
    -2 sets tricep rope pulldown
    This is what I would do

OHP
    Pulldown / Chin Ups
    Chest movement or iso
    Row
    Side Laterals / Face Pulls
    Triceps
    Biceps

Originally Posted by CompoundUK View Post
    My left shoulder specially just feels a bit unstable feels like it want to go backwards a bit on OHP and bench. also my OHP is only about 15kg lighter for my working sets than my flat bench now which is pretty close compared to a lot of people i ask. could havign the high insertions mean you are naturally quite efficient at OHP compared to direct chest work like bench press? standing OHP is fast becoming my favourite push movement for sure so ill keep hitting it hard. thanks for this thread man, interesting and useful
    I think delt work will help with stabilizing your shoulder, a combination of OHP, side laterals and face pulls should work. And yes, thats exactly what a high insertion does, makes a person more suited to OHP variations
    Originally Posted by IvanKoay View Post
    Bump
    thank you sir
    ~Jesus Christ Is My Savior Crew~

The land at the end of our toes goes on and on,
    The sand at the core of our bones continues on

Hey I just met you. And this is crazy. But today is chest day. So spot me maybe?

Art thou prone to such insurmountable force upon thou biceps?

Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rheel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thread pretty much compiles everything about incline benching that i had to learn on my own overall several months and trial and error...good job OP.

aezthetik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for your help, for the chest movement incline bench is out of the picture or can I just do it with dumbbells?
    This is what I would do

OHP
    Pulldown / Chin Ups
    Chest movement or iso
    Row
    Side Laterals / Face Pulls
    Triceps
    Biceps

I think delt work will help with stabilizing your shoulder, a combination of OHP, side laterals and face pulls should work. And yes, thats exactly what a high insertion does, makes a person more suited to OHP variations

thank you sir

Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tb0282 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by aezthetik View Post
    thanks for your help, for the chest movement incline bench is out of the picture or can I just do it with dumbbells?
    out of the picture, its the angle not the barbell lol

Hey I just met you. And this is crazy. But today is chest day. So spot me maybe?

JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can I do inclines on shoulder day lol to work my front delt? Also any specific way to do OHP to hit my chest?
    Team Torn Acl
    Tore both my Acls

JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnJenkins04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by yettiatcpg View Post
    I think I found the old school alternative to incline. I was talking to a couple of the coaches at the U of M while watching my son at throwing camp and one suggested Neider presses. I tried them last night for the first time. they are way harder then they look.
    Interesting I wonder what OP thinks of this?
    Team Torn Acl
    Tore both my Acls

Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I still can't grasp the idea the OHP is better than Incline,Flat or Decline bench for people with high insertions.

Originally Posted by JohnJenkins04 View Post
    Can I do inclines on shoulder day lol to work my front delt? Also any specific way to do OHP to hit my chest?
    Why would you want to do that? OHP will be your best movement for shoulder girdle development (upper chest, delts and traps). And no, there is not specific way to do OHP for chest emphasis.

I think it could be a great assistance movement to the OHP, but not a substitution. What makes the OHP effective for people who have a high inserted clavicular head is the plane of motion.
    Originally Posted by Karim1997 View Post
    I still can't grasp the idea the OHP is better than Incline,Flat or Decline bench for people with high insertions.
    Xuaxace said it best.

Originally Posted by Xuaxace
    igh insertion = clavicular head fibers run fairly vertically, amost in a similar fashion than the nearby front delt, thus work in a very similar mechanical position (shoulder flexion)
    Low insertion = clavicular head runs fairly horizontal, thus the normal low incline presses (which tends to mean a more flared out elbow) and the weights being brough to the middle/upper chest will hit the upper chest very hard. (transverse flexion)

Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Karim1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Xuaxace said it best.
    I understand that, I mean what if you always started with Flat/Decline, then went to incline, wouldn't it be the same? Sorry for the repetitive questions.

I understand that, I mean what if you always started with Flat/Decline, then went to incline, wouldn't it be the same? Sorry for the repetitive questions.
    No. You're always supposed to start with your weak points. And as I've said again and again, your shoulder girdle will respond best to OHP when you have a high insertion. With a low insertion, your shoulder girdle will respond best to bench, only then should you start with bench.

No. You're always supposed to start with your weak points. And as I've said again and again, your shoulder girdle will respond best to OHP when you have a high insertion. With a low insertion, your shoulder girdle will respond best to bench, only then should you start with bench.
    So you mean that OHP would be better than Flat/Decline Bench for OVERALL chest development?

So you mean that OHP would be better than Flat/Decline Bench for OVERALL chest development?
    for chest no. For overall development, yes.

For a high insertion, OHP are like squats. Squats will develop your lower body best. You can use leg press and develop nice quads, but you can still have a lagging lower body because leg press is not best for glutes, hips etc

Do you get what I mean?

For a high insertion, OHP are like squats. Squats will develop your lower body best. You can use leg press and develop nice quads, but you can still have a lagging lower body because leg press is not best for glutes, hips etc

Do you get what I mean?
    Yeah that makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation bro. Repped. That's exactly why Flat/Decline bench should be the accessory movement. OHHHHH.
    Last edited by Karim1997; 07-31-2013 at 10:12 PM.

the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500) the5thhorseman is not very helpful. (-500)
    Haven't been doing that many overhead movements. I will do overhead movements before my chest and take pictures 6 months down the line to see if I made an improvement and will be bumping up the thread.

v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) v1k70r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you tell from the pics i added in my profile?

But I'm not a powerlifter Aasemd's Avatar
    Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What can you tell from this
    Who even cares?

crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10) crazdave is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Do you get what I mean?
    Squats do develop your quads though still, this implies that OHP will still develop your chest? Am I right in saying that? Like if you completely left out any benching movement and just did OHP would your chest get enough stimulus to grow and get stronger?

jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Aasemd View Post
    Your tattoo artist was blind
    ---------------------------------------
    "Fast is not fast enough, strong is not strong enough."
    ----------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Aasemd View Post
    [img]http://imageshack.us/a/img687/291/3aw3.jpg[/ig]
    No I cannot
    Originally Posted by crazdave View Post
    Squats do develop your quads though still, this implies that OHP will still develop your chest? Am I right in saying that? Like if you completely left out any benching movement and just did OHP would your chest get enough stimulus to grow and get stronger?
    You missed the point. What I meant is that squats are better for total lower body development. In the same way, OHPs are better for overall shoulder girdle development. In both scenarios you should still do leg press/bench variation, but it should be used as the accessory movement.

linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) linton5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What about me?

OP does this mean you have a high clavicular insertion you're killing two birds with one stone doing OHP first right? So does this mean you can deduct the volume for the total sets for chest?

E.g.

High Clavicular Insertion:

Overhead Press: 4 sets of 5 – 8 reps
    Decline Barbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 5 – 8 reps
    Side Laterals: 3 sets of 10 – 15 reps
    Pec Deck: 4 sets of 12 – 15 reps
    Skull Crushers: 5 sets of 6 – 8 reps
    Rope Extensions: 4 sets of 10 – 15 reps

Low Clavicular Insertion:

Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 6 – 8 reps
    Flat Barbell Press: 3 sets of 10 – 12 reps
    Fly Movement: 3 sets of 12 – 15 reps
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 8 – 10 reps
    Side Laterals: 3 sets of 10 – 15 reps
    Skull Crushers: 5 sets of 6 – 8 reps
    Rope Extensions: 4 sets of 10 – 15 reps

MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrPsychic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Very interesting thread, made me wonder what I have. From reading this topic and seeing others, I'd guess I'm high, true?

i.imgur . com/BedZiqJ.jpg

*can't post images*

yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000) yettiatcpg is just really nice. (+1000)
    worked on these again today. I'm doing much better and my speeds coming up
    Yetti

Justice Police of bb.com hostelmaniac's Avatar
    hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hostelmaniac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by yettiatcpg View Post
    worked on these again today. I'm doing much better and my speeds coming up
    Exercise looks like it would destroy my shoulders, especially if i put some weight on the bar

bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bulkbreh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are people really this f*cking stupid???

If you feel you're dont delta and upper chest need work then do incline. If not then your good, buncha f*ckng idots man...

DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DemGains13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    low or high?
    Attached Images
    Bench: 260
    OHP: 7x160
    Squat: 3x315
    Deadlift: 4x365
    Look at it... Respect it.
    *Torn ACL Crew*

thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10) thyce is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    interesting idea, ive tried it though and i have issues with it

shoulders are a very big genetic strong point for me, theyve literally grown to the point they are now from just benching, ive never really focused on shoulders at all and theyre my strongest body part

when i try to do OHP, im very weak for a start, my max would be around 40kg (88 lbs) which is terrible, but i just find it really hard, also whenever i do the movement i feel all of the stress on my delts, no upper chest at all

any ideas?

Originally Posted by bulkbreh View Post
    Are people really this f*cking stupid???

If you feel you're dont delta and upper chest need work then do incline. If not then your good, buncha f*ckng idots man...
    Nice grammar d*ck wad
    Team Torn Acl
    Tore both my Acls