dchae85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dchae85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dchae85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dchae85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dchae85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My "getting back into it" routine

So I'm one of those people who have worked out on and off for years and years. The longest I stuck to a program was about 6 months and I would see differences, but then something would come up and I would stop. I have experience trying out different routines such as ones found on animalpak.com, sites like this, a couple personal trainers, and weight training classes (in college). I've noticed that I plateau in a short amount of time, and I think that also tends to frustrate me into quitting. Anyway, I've decided to start what I did back in high school, which is doing 10 sets of 10 reps of my exercises. The difference is that before, I was only focusing on my arms and chest. This time I'll be doing 10 sets of 10 for every single exercise.

Day 1: Chest: Incline dumbbell press
    Day 2: Back: One-arm dumbbell rows
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Shoulders: Front and lateral raises
    Day 5: Arms: Dumbbell curls and tricep kickbacks
    Day 6: Legs: Squats and lunges

I'm hoping to see gains in strength, endurance, tone, and perhaps size. Currently I'm only doing one exercise per day for each muscle group, but as my body gets used to the weight and strain, I'm going to gradually increase the exercise. For example, for the chest, once I get comfortable with the 40 pound dumbbells and feel like I can do more, I'll add flat dumbbell presses too, but I might start off with trying to do 10 sets of 5 or however many sets of 10 I can do. The same method will be used for the other days also.
    I'm doing a diet right now which consists of:
    Meal 1: 6 eggs (6 whites and two yolks) and 1/2 cup oatmeal
    Meal 2: 5 oz can of tuna with or without apple/oatmeal/slice of whole wheat bread
    Meal 3: 6-8 oz chicken breast and mixed vegetables (the mixed veggie bag you can get at Giant food market)
    Meal 4: Protein shake (2-3 scoops, about 21-30 grams per scoop depending on what I'm using at the time, mixed with 2 tbsp of peanut butter)
    Meal 5: 5 oz can of tuna or 6-8 oz chicken breast with oatmeal or rice
    Meal 6: Spoonful of peanut butter or 1/4 cup of cottage cheese

I'm about 250 lbs right now. While weight loss is important, I'm more interested in losing body fat and keeping/gaining muscle. I just started my second week of dieting and the workout; I dropped about 5-6 pounds so far. I also will be playing tennis, using an elliptical at home, playing table tennis, and possibly biking.

Ultimately, my goal is to gain definition all around, increase my energy and stamina so I can play sports better/with more ease, increase strength and muscle mass, and drop body fat so I can be somewhere around 10%. This is by no means a short-term goal I am looking to achieve, such as getting ready for the summer. I am hoping to continue the exercise routine for at least a year, maybe two or three. The diet fluctuates (depending on what I have available and my schedule of school/work), so I'm not sure how long that will last, but hopefully I will do it for 3+ months.

Let me know what you think.

EDIT: The amount of time between each set is roughly 30 seconds to a minute. It might get a little longer between the last three or four sets, but never longer than 2 minutes.
    Last edited by dchae85; 04-21-2013 at 08:19 PM.