BioTaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How does my routine look?

Hey everyone, first time poster. I'm looking to tweak my routine a bit to try and get the most in terms of strength, I'm not looking for bulk since I'm also a tricker and want to stay relatively flexible.

I started weightlifting my freshman year of college and I'm currently beginning my first year of Grad school (about 5 years). So far my routine generally consists of starting my workouts with reps of 10 and increasing the weight while lowering the reps to 7,5,3,1 (Max) and then do 50% of my max until failure. I also throw in some body weight workouts to keep my muscles warmed up throughout the week.

Monday: Squat, deadlifts, Weighted calf raises, weighted lunges, 100 bodyweight squats, leg extension, leg curls, 200 pushups (I vary the type depending on how I'm feeling), 100 pullups, 500 bodyweight calf raises.

Tuesday: Bench press, dumbbell press, incline bench press, decline dumbbell press, 100 body weight dips, 100 pushups.

Wednesday: 100 pull ups, dumbbell rows, pull downs, reverse fly, Row Machine, 100 squats, 500 calf raises.

Thursday: Weighted dips, Dumbbell curls, 50 reverse grip pullups, Dumbbell shoulder press, Barbell skull crushers, 200 pushups.

Friday: Tricking

I usually leave Saturday and Sunday to be rest/makeup days if i couldn't make it to the gym during the week.

I also throw in cardio whenever I run or bike to school (about 2 miles).

So is there anyway I can try and tweak my routine to get the full benefits? If there is a need of any extra information, feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't even know where to start with that routine , it's just a complete mess and all over the place

If you want to get stronger do a strength routine such as Starting strength

Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lol at 500 bw reps on calves.

Ok I'll ask, what are your 1 rep max on the big 3?
    AllPro Simple Beginner Routine 4 Cycles
    AllPro Novice Program 3 Cycles
    Wendler 5-3-1 BBB+ and FSL
    5x5 Program

Squat:315; Bench: 260; OHP: 155; Deadlift: 330
    Bench PR 225 for 5; Deadlift PR 225 for 15
    Goals: 1/2/3/4 plate

Originally Posted by Sader762 View Post
    Lol at 500 bw reps on calves.

Ok I'll ask, what are your 1 rep max on the big 3?
    Bench Press: 275

Squat: 315

Dead lift: 315

mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrzeusone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Frequency it too low.
    Have a look around for a proven routine.
    “We didn’t find any reason to rush to the locker room and do that whey dextrose slammer, after your last set of squat rack curls.” Alan Aragon

Current PRs:
    Deadlift 210kg
    Squat 190kg
    Bench 120kg

Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Madwestmo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BioTaq View Post
    Bench Press: 275

Squat: 315

Dead lift: 315
    That shows how unbalanced your routine has made you , which was my point

So what can I do to fix it?

If your aim is to get stronger I would suggest starting strength

I doubt you will follow it as written though so do what you want

Originally Posted by Madwestmo View Post
    If your aim is to get stronger I would suggest starting strength

I doubt you will follow it as written though so do what you want
    I detect a hint of attitude in that last sentence... lol.

In all seriousness, I found a forum post of the starting strength. It's a huge post so I'll read it when I have more time tomorrow and see if I can come up with a routine revolving around that.

I was spending some time looking up some strength routines and apparently the Westside for Skinny Bastards seems to be pretty popular among athletes. I was thinking about starting it next week and it'll look something like:

Monday: Bench Press 3x5, Dumbbell Press 2x15, Dumbbell/reardelt fly superset 3x10, Dumbbell shrug 3x10, Barbell curl 3x10.

Tuesday: Box jump 3x2, Split squats 3x10, Romanian deadlift 3x10, Weighted hanging leg raises 4x10

Thursday: Incline bench press 4x12, Pullup/facepulls superset 4x10, dumbbell military press 4x10, Dumbbell lateral raises 4x10, Dumbbell shrugs/tricep extension superset 3x10

Friday: Barbell squat work up to a max set of 3 reps, Lunges 3x10, romanian deadlifts 3x10, Abdominals (maybe, since I'll be training flips the next day).

Saturday: Trick.