BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000)

Greetings From Down Under!!!

Hi all,

my name is Bill, I'm 44 and live in Sydney - just wanted to introduce myself to this forum and hopefully get some questions answered.

I've been going to the gym now for 4 months, this being the first ever time I've stepped foot into a gym. I've dropped about 10kg since starting and I'm down to my goal weight. This was achieved with a good diet and regular cardio and weight training. Motivation has not been a problem and I still can't wait to get myself into the gym. Anyway, the gym I'm a member of has a 6 week challenge and I've entered myself into the body transformation category so I need to add muscle in a short period of time. One of my challenges will be trying not to do too much during every session but how much is too much and how much will be enough?? Currently I'm doing the Stronglift 5x5 routine with some added bits and pieces and it looks like this:-

Workout A
    Squats 5 x 5
    Bench Press 5 x 5
    Seated Row 5 x 5
    Planks - 3 x 60sec
    Tricep Pulldowns 3 x 10
    BB Curls 3 x 10
    Pushups 3 x failure

Workout B
    Squats 5 x 5
    OH Press 5 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5
    Crunches 3 x failure
    DB Bench Press 3 x 10
    Lunges 3 x 10
    Chinups 3 x failure

I alternate between Workout A & B 3 days per week. I can usually get each workout done within a hour. I walk 60 minutes 2-3 days per week. I eat roughly 2000 cals per day with a good mixture of carbs, fats & protein and have been drinking Creatine & BCAA's whilst at the gym.

My questions are many but hopefully I can get some assistance from you guys to get a few basic one's answered:-

1. Do those workouts look OK or is the additional stuff I'm doing outside of the basic 5x5 routine redundant and a waste of time?
    2. Will following this lead to good muscle gains?
    3. Would upping this to 4 days per week be more of a benefit or a hindrance?
    4. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance - I'm a relative newbie to all of this so if you do answer layman's terms are probably the best until I catch up with all the acronym's .

Bill
    Last edited by BillPhoto; 10-18-2016 at 04:57 PM.
    Cheers,
    Bill K

BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000)
    I understand that this may be a fairly common first post for a newbie like me. I admin a couple of fishing forums and yes, it's always the same first questions from the newbie's there too - "whats the best lure", "whats the best rod/reel combo", "if you had unlimited dollars what boat would you buy", etc. etc. But as they say, we all have to start somewhere and this board seems like the right place for me to ask.

I just want to know form you guys that have been lifting for a while if I'm doing too much or not enough when I step foot into the gym and is there anything I should add/delete from the my current routine above.
    Cheers,
    Bill K

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm certainly no pro here but it looks like you're on the right track. You picked a good program to get started with, IMO. I'm not familiar with what Stronglifts says about frequency so I can't answer that for you from any type of experience. How are you doing with progression under the bar and with your recovery? If you are adding weight to the bar consistently I'd stick to what you're doing until the progress stops.

Is your goal to lose weight? If so, as a beginner you'll be able to get stronger and add some lean body mass for a while. Eventually, on a deficit, this will seize to happen and you'll either need to eat more food to add mass or continue to diet down until satisfied with body composition and then start the build up process.

In short you're routine looks OK and your paying attention to what you're eating so I'd personally get more time under your belt doing what you're doing until progress stops ,under the bar or on the scale- consistent with your goals.

Id also suggest reading though this thread - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=168581133

Good luck, Bill.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Thanks for the response Jtbny - I appreciate you taking the time out.

When I first started I wanted to lose weight, I had about 10kg to shed. Now that I've done that I'd like to build muscle - I don't mind putting weight back on so long its not the ice cream/pizza/beer weight that got me into this mess in the first place.

I think my biggest problem at the moment is patience and wanting maximum gains in minimum time (this is most likely due to the challenge I signed up for). If I'm on the right track with my weights then I'll keep going with Stronglifts 5x5 for 12 weeks then re-evaluate.

I did have a look at Fierce 5 but went with Stronglifts for no particular reason other than after reading a bit about it to me it made a bit more sense.
    Cheers,
    Bill K

TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Interestingly I went with Fierce 5 over SL because it does exactly what you've added to the SL program added in some accessories, but with a bit more focus on balance.

'Maximum gain in minimum time'... this path leads to madness

You look like you're on the right track. Keep on it! At our age nutrition and rest account for at least 50% of the results

TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Should also add, the O35 section here is great. There's a bunch of really knowledgeable and helpful guys and girls here, and the sticky threads both here and in the nutrition forum are simply gold

Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Motiviert has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Welcome m8. Looks like you've already got a solid routine. That's awesome guvnah.

This must be ov35 section. Sorry dudes
    I know who I am. And after all these years, there’s a victory in that.

All liberals deserve death

*Proud member of the misc 767 & USA vs. Germany world cup ban
    -People who say money can't buy happiness, have never paid the adoption fee at the pound and went home with a new best friend
    *There's no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad dog owner

If you see myself and swoleyo in a thread, remind me to rep him.

Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BillPhoto View Post
    Hi all,

my name is Bill, I'm 44 and live in Sydney - just wanted to introduce myself to this forum and hopefully get some questions answered.

I've been going to the gym now for 4 months, this being the first ever time I've stepped foot into a gym. I've dropped about 10kg since starting and I'm down to my goal weight. This was achieved with a good diet and regular cardio and weight training. Motivation has not been a problem and I still can't wait to get myself into the gym. Anyway, the gym I'm a member of has a 6 week challenge and I've entered myself into the body transformation category so I need to add muscle in a short period of time. One of my challenges will be trying not to do too much during every session but how much is too much and how much will be enough?? Currently I'm doing the Stronglift 5x5 routine with some added bits and pieces and it looks like this:-

Workout A
    Squats 5 x 5
    Bench Press 5 x 5
    Seated Row 5 x 5
    Planks - 3 x 60sec
    Tricep Pulldowns 3 x 10
    BB Curls 3 x 10
    Pushups 3 x failure

Workout B
    Squats 5 x 5
    OH Press 5 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5
    Crunches 3 x failure
    DB Bench Press 3 x 10
    Lunges 3 x 10
    Chinups 3 x failure

I alternate between Workout A & B 3 days per week. I can usually get each workout done within a hour. I walk 60 minutes 2-3 days per week. I eat roughly 2000 cals per day with a good mixture of carbs, fats & protein and have been drinking Creatine & BCAA's whilst at the gym.

My questions are many but hopefully I can get some assistance from you guys to get a few basic one's answered:-

1. Do those workouts look OK or is the additional stuff I'm doing outside of the basic 5x5 routine redundant and a waste of time?
    2. Will following this lead to good muscle gains?
    3. Would upping this to 4 days per week be more of a benefit or a hindrance?
    4. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance - I'm a relative newbie to all of this so if you do answer layman's terms are probably the best until I catch up with all the acronym's .

Bill
    1. SL5x5 is a great program - don't mess with it. Id drop all the accessory work other than the push ups and chin pus.
    2. Yes - as a newb you will gain a good amount of muscle on a program like this. Eat a shade over maintenance - focus on quality protein, veges and good fats. Avoid sugar and processed carbs and starchy vegetables. Drink water.
    3. See point 1 - don't mess with the program. You need to recover in order to grow.
    4. You are on the right track. Just stick with it.

Cheers
    Dave
    Take the red pill....

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    a 6 week challenge and I've entered myself into the body transformation category so I need to add muscle in a short period of time.
    There's no such thing as adding muscle in a short period of time. It doesn't work like that all so get the thought out of your mind. In 6 weeks you've barely scratched the surface. You need to plan for consistency and patience because it's a long road ahead.

What's your height/weight? I'm only asking because 2000 calories is a low surplus for a grown man trying to build muscle. I don't agree with any foods being off limits and everything is fine in moderation. It will come to down a proper calorie intake based on the goal. The food choices don't make a difference in the end result.

The program isn't meant to be messed with. Those are the key lifts for building a solid foundation. You should be using barbells and free weights, no machine work. These lifts work multiple muscle groups, build a strong core, overall muscle balance and stability. The focus is giving your all out intensity on these crucial lifts and adding more exercises takes away from that. That's why the program is written the way it is.

Good luck!
    Last edited by kimm4; 10-19-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Thank you to everyone for taking the time out to reply - it's much appreciated!! From what I'm reading from all of this is that I need to be a bit more patient with it all and take rest and recovery just as seriously as I do the weight work. As suggested I'll probably drop the accessory exercises from the routine and concentrate on the basics, getting my form right and building some strength.

kimm4 - right now I'm about 78kg and 174cm in height
    Cheers,
    Bill K

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just have one question, what does vegemite really taste like?
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Thank you to everyone for taking the time out to reply - it's much appreciated!! From what I'm reading from all of this is that I need to be a bit more patient with it all and take rest and recovery just as seriously as I do the weight work. As suggested I'll probably drop the accessory exercises from the routine and concentrate on the basics, getting my form right and building some strength.

kimm4 - right now I'm about 78kg and 174cm in height
    That calorie intake is too low. I'd have your estimated maintenance right around 2600 calories. If you want to build muscle you've got to eat above that number.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    hahahaha I love it. You can't just eat it out of the jar though - the best way to eat it is on toast with butter!!
    Cheers,
    Bill K

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    That calorie intake is too low. I'd have your estimated maintenance right around 2600 calories. If you want to build muscle you've got to eat above that number.
    Thanks for doing that kimm4 - at the moment I'll have big meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner with small snacks in between like fruit, avocado and nuts. I'll look into increasing those snacks into larger meals.

Thanks again everyone - not that the rest of these forums aren't informative and great, but this Over 35 forum is awesome. So much info, help and inspiration.
    Cheers,
    Bill K

Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10) Orewa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GnomusMaximus View Post
    It's delicious! Salty and yeasty goodness.
    Take the red pill....