LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Are naturalhypertrophy's programs reliable?

Hey there!

A few months back, I made the switch from calisthenics to hitting the gym. I've been mainly getting my info from this YouTuber called naturalhypertrophy. Dude's got a bunch of free programs up. One of them caught my eye big time, thinking of giving it a shot. What do you guys reckon? Think it's a solid program to follow? Trust naturalhypertrophy knows his stuff with these programs, or should I be wary?

Upper:

Bench press OR Dips OR Weighted push-ups 3x6-10 + DB rows 3x8-12 OR Reverse rows 3xAMRAP
    DB or BB OHP 4x6-12 + French press OR Skull-crushers 4x8-12 + Hammer curls 4x6-10

Upper/Lower Hybrid:

Deadlifts 3x3 OR RDLs 3x8-12 OR Good mornings 3x6-12 + Sited calf raises 3x15-20
    Weighted pulls-ups 4x4-8 + Lunges OR Bulgarian split squats 4x10-15 + Shrugs 4x12-15

Arms/Upper Hybrid:

Close grip bench 3x6-10 OR Diamond push-ups AMRAPS + Seal rows OR Pendlay rows 3x8-12
    BB or DB curls 3x6-8 + Upright rows OR Lateral raises 3x12-15 + Triceps push-downs 3x15-20

Lower:

Squats 3x6-10 OR Leg press 3x8-12 OR Hack squats 3x10-12 + Sited calf raises 3x15-20
    Hyperextensions OR Single-leg DB RDLS 4x12-15 + Decline crunches AMRAP + Neck curls AMRAP

LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10) LetsRoy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bump

CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In general I like his approach to programming.
    If you want to focus on strength then I'd look elsewhere.
    If your sole aim is bodybuilding then his programming is a good option. Of course, that's assuming you lift consistently and eat, drink, and rest enough (but these are prerequisites for success on every program).
    The Flywheel Effect - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172103043

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can potentially build muscle on almost any program, so the better question is why are you mainly getting all of your info from one YTer who you don't know whether to trust or be wary of?

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Stick to Fierce 5. It's in the stickies. But I'm just a feeble little 56 year old guy.
    Funishe renal hoses in offeyvil Kanas for traveing wokes

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    From what I've seen being an anime nerd... his programs aren't bad. A little gimmicky in titles with references to anime and what not but overall, you could be doing a lot worse!

I would say based on the few videos I've seen... he uses anime and gimmicks BUT the content is actually decent and reasonable. An upper/lower with a few compounds twice a week without fancy equipment... you have my seal of approval.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You can potentially build muscle on almost any program, so the better question is why are you mainly getting all of your info from one YTer who you don't know whether to trust or be wary of?
    That's a good question, let me explain further. I find the information from that youtuber to be solid and trustworthy. Plus, there are several things about his programming style that I like, such as short workouts, various options to choose from, including bodyweight exercises, and so on. However, I don't have enough experience in this field to judge for myself whether he's considered reliable and reputable. That's why I turned to you guys to hear the opinions of people who have been in the game for many years.

Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    From what I've seen being an anime nerd... his programs aren't bad. A little gimmicky in titles with references to anime and what not but overall, you could be doing a lot worse!

I would say based on the few videos I've seen... he uses anime and gimmicks BUT the content is actually decent and reasonable. An upper/lower with a few compounds twice a week without fancy equipment... you have my seal of approval.

I've watched a few animes in my life. Most of the references in their titles are unfamiliar to me. I guess it's a fun way to name their programs or maybe a marketing strategy to grab attention. Either way, what matters to me in their case is that the content is good. I appreciate that seal of approval.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LetsRoy View Post
    That's a good question, let me explain further. I find the information from that youtuber to be solid and trustworthy. Plus, there are several things about his programming style that I like, such as short workouts, various options to choose from, including bodyweight exercises, and so on. However, I don't have enough experience in this field to judge for myself whether he's considered reliable and reputable. That's why I turned to you guys to hear the opinions of people who have been in the game for many years.
    Fair enough. I can't speak for everything he posts and I personally don't like the setup of the program you posted, but if it suits what you're looking for, give it a try. If you get the results you want, stick with it... if not, make a change.

With suitable nutrition, consistency and effort, most programs can potentially work... but not every program suits everyone's preferences, level of development and goals.

Fair enough. I can't speak for everything he posts and I personally don't like the setup of the program you posted, but if it suits what you're looking for, give it a try. If you get the results you want, stick with it... if not, make a change.

With suitable nutrition, consistency and effort, most programs can potentially work... but not every program suits everyone's preferences, level of development and goals.
    You're right, I'll give it a try and see how it evolves. At first glance, I'd say it aligns well with my preferences, but I'm not sure if it also aligns with the level of development or the goals. What are those aspects of the setup that you don't like?

You're right, I'll give it a try and see how it evolves. At first glance, I'd say it aligns well with my preferences, but I'm not sure if it also aligns with the level of development or the goals. What are those aspects of the setup that you don't like?
    I don't like all the supersetting. In general but especially for those new to lifting, I don't think this is particularly good for building strength and developing good form, especially when it's done with compound lifts.

At lower levels of development, I also think one could progress much quicker than how the rep ranges are set up.

Don't let that stop you from trying it if you like it though.

I don't like all the supersetting. In general but especially for those new to lifting, I don't think this is particularly good for building strength and developing good form, especially when it's done with compound lifts.

At lower levels of development, I also think one could progress much quicker than how the rep ranges are set up.

Don't let that stop you from trying it if you like it though.
    In the comments, some people asked if there was any issue with breaking the supersets, and he replied that it can be done without any problems according to each person's preferences. I'll take both things into account, if I see that I'm not getting the expected results, I'll try modifying the rep range and breaking the supersets. I'll try to see first if supersets work for me since it seems like a good way to save time in the gym.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not too bad. I think that as long as progressive overload is applied over time the rest is secondary. Once you are moving 315 on bench, 275 on pendlay row, 400 on squat, as a lean lifter in the 165-195 lb range (depending on height) you’ll be in a good spot.

In the comments, some people asked if there was any issue with breaking the supersets, and he replied that it can be done without any problems according to each person's preferences. I'll take both things into account, if I see that I'm not getting the expected results, I'll try modifying the rep range and breaking the supersets. I'll try to see first if supersets work for me since it seems like a good way to save time in the gym.
    Supersetting is just a time-saver, so you can always break up supersets.

Supersetting is generally not going to enhance performance or results, only detract from it. For isolations it's less of an issue, but for compounds keep in mind your core & other secondary/tertiary muscles may be overlapping between exercises. Plus cardio fitness may end up coming into play.

Regarding rep ranges, in early stages of lifting you may be able to progress quicker just by adding weight to the bar rather than doing rep ranges.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with supersetting or rep ranges - as you said, give it a shot and if you're happy with the results, keep at it.